PDA

View Full Version : Ben Wallace dominated the game tonight, and other thoughts

Unclebuck
05-09-2005, 11:19 PM
He was the best player on the court, the most important player and the most influential player. He was outstanding. Pacers simply cannot guard Ben Wallace with Jermaine because J.O refuses to block Wallace out, it was so obvious and very maddening. One thing that bothered me about the discussion that took place last year, many of you said that Ben dominated Jeff Foster, well Jeff defended Sheed last year and he did again tonight, so why Jeff was blamed for Ben's good play is and was beyond me.

Two things you need to beat or at least compete against the Pistons.
1) Very quick and mobile big guys.
2) Very quick and penetrating guards.

I won't elaborate on those two points becuase I think they are rather obvious. Except to say that the Pacers have the mobile big guys but not the quick penetrating guards

Pacers were tired tonight mentally and physically and will play much better, they have to play much better. So a lot will be said about matchups and strategy and all, but the Pacers need to up their intensity several notches or this will be a sweep, no matter what the matchups are or what strategy they employ. But did anyone else feel like you were watching a regular season game tonight, the game had no pop, there was no juice.

The Pistons fans have sunk to an alltime low, what they did tonight makes 11/19 seem like no big deal. What did the do? THE WAVE. Wow I did not know the wave was still around - I were a Pistons fan I would be much more embarassed about the wave than I would be about 11/19. If the wave ever gets started at Conseco, I'm walking out.

Kstat
05-09-2005, 11:23 PM
I have to agree there.

The wave....good lord. Was the game THAT boring?

Hicks
05-09-2005, 11:24 PM
I think I participated in a wave at Victory Field once. I want to say.... 9 years ago? Don't know if I've seen it in an NBA arena. I don't think so.

You know, as badly as we played tonight, if we had just kept Ben Wallace in check (AKA boxed out most of the time instead of just whenever we feel like it), this still had a chance to be close.

Obviously it was a bad loss, but not really terrible. It never felt like a route; they made one good run, and we played back-and-forth pretty much the entire second half until the end.

We can play better.

Natston
05-09-2005, 11:26 PM
The wave....good lord.

Welcome to every Colts home game, in spite of having Peyton Manning and Company... :blush:

indytoad
05-09-2005, 11:28 PM
Obviously it was a bad loss, but not really terrible. It never felt like a route; they made one good run, and we played back-and-forth pretty much the entire second half until the end.

That seems to be how the losses against Boston went. They'd make one really rediculous run - like 14 points in three minutes or something - and then they would play even for the rest of the game.

It's only encouraging if it's not a trend. Which I think it might be.

IndyToad
No, really, where's my five?

Bball
05-09-2005, 11:29 PM
For some reason... I seem to remember a Conseco wave either this year or last year. It wasn't a very 'good' wave (not that there is such a thing) but it sure seems like I've seen it.

Maybe a Colts game I'm trying to forget has had a piece break off and float into my Pacer memory banks...

Hopefully...

-Bball

Tim
05-09-2005, 11:32 PM
I am not overly concerned with this loss. Early on with the turnovers and quick fouls I could tell the team probably didn't have it tonight.

They will bounce back, I think we will be impressed with the way Rick and the team plays in game 2.

Suaveness
05-09-2005, 11:57 PM
One thing that hasnt been talked about is our passing. It was awful tonight

sweabs
05-10-2005, 12:05 AM
The intensity just wasn't there tonight. Like I've said before, this matchup is favourable when we are riding on emotions. We need to use Reggie's retirement as a way to get pumped up and play inspired ball. We need to use 11/19 and past events to play our best ball.

Our guys were just tired, and still feeling the effects of the Boston series in my opinion (and Larry Brown agrees). Let's see if our guys can re-group, and show us a real intense performance on Wednesday. Do it for Ronnie! :D

Unclebuck
05-10-2005, 12:06 AM
Do it for Ronnie! :D

I don't have any comments really

pb777
05-10-2005, 12:28 AM
passing was a problem tonight. they did a really good job of clogging up our passing lanes. JO was in single coverage most if not all of the game and had a hard time passing out of the post. RC has 48 hrs to make some adjustments, and if we learned anything from round 1, we learned that RC is pretty good at bouncing back from a loss with a new tweaked gameplan..

SoupIsGood
05-10-2005, 12:44 AM
I have to agree there.

The wave....good lord. Was the game THAT boring?

Maybe I'm hokey, but I like The Wave.

The California HS version was pretty cool, too.

Bball
05-10-2005, 12:48 AM
Maybe I'm hokey, but I like The Wave.

The California HS version was pretty cool, too.

Sh&t! Just when I had it narrowed down to you for this round of the forum awards you go and post this!

;)

-Bball

brich
05-10-2005, 01:25 AM
Ben was definitely huge tonight. When he is hitting that deep with a hand in his face, then there is very little you can do. He is always going to get his garbage points and his rebounds because of his size and tenacity, and some days he has a post-up game, but I have never seen him stroke it that well from the outside before.

I gave myself a few hours before posting about the game, because I get so upset at these total collapse games. It is maddening for me to watch us miss shot, after shot, after shot, and it drives me crazy when we don't make adjustments. It got to be as predictable as a Roadrunner cartoon after awhile. The coyote keeps falling from the cliff and splattering on the ground, yet he never seems to learn from his past mistakes. It was "Meep, Meep" and then "Splat" the whole damn game. Detroit had its way with us tonight. They scored most of their offense from high percentage shots in the paint, while we missed open looks from the outside. That is a recipe for disaster, and that is how it played out.

It is going to be very tough to score on Detroit. Ideally you want to drive or post up as a team, but with Ben and Sheed blocking/altering shots, typical high-percentage shots become low-percentage shots. The other problem with those two lurking is that they gobble up all of our potential offensive boards. We either need to drive on these guys and get them in foul trouble, which wasn't even a pipe dream tonight, or we need to hit some freaking shots outside to draw these guys out. I thought that Jermaine shot the ball well tonight, but with our predictable offense, it became the Jermaine Isolation/Post-up show after awhile. We were easy to defend, and our ball movement on offense was terrible. Nobody else was able to step up and hit from the outside with any consistency. We made ourselves very easy to defend to a dominant well coached defensive team.

I will give Rick for trying to make some adjustments, as he did try to utilize the bench to breathe some life into us tonight, and he also made some good time-outs when the Piston's were gaining momentum at varying points throughout the game. He didn't do a good job of getting our players to box out, and he couldn't get the motion/passing back in our offense once it stalled. We lost all of the beautiful ball movement that we finally used in our last game against the Celtics. Detroit deserves alot of credit for playing great defense, because they kept us out of rhythm all night. At some point we should have been calling Reggie's, James Jone's, or Jackson's number tonight from the outside. I am not talking exclusively from three point land, but we have to draw Detroit's interior defenders at least a couple of inches away from the basket.

Pollard needs to have big minutes in this series IMO, unless he is really hurting. Dale did not have a good night, and this stage in his career, that is going to happen from time to time. I thought that Foster played well, but against Detroit, I think we need another big body banging underneath. I would throw all of the muscle that we can at Detroit, because we are going to need all of it to play with these guys.

On a positive note, I want to note that our players kept their composure for the most part tonight, in spite of the technicals that we received. This night was ripe for bad things to happen. We weren't playing well in a hostile arena, and they game was just poorly officiated. The Pacer's shot themselve's in their feet quite a bit with stupid fouls, but home court was a huge factor tonight. Our guys could have reacted alot worse, and they didn't.

In addition to the many things I mentioned about our offense, I think we need to make huge improvements on defense. We need to make them struggle just as much as we do on offense, and our help defense/rotations need to be much, much quicker. They were able to split the seam of our defense and expose it way too many times. It looked like they were on amphetamines and we were on downers at times.

The good news is that we are much better than we played tonight, and I think that Big Ben had an exceptional night. He brings it every night, and I respect him as a player, but I think he was in a rare zone tonight. If he is able to replicate this effort, then this is going to be a short series.

Intensity and leadership will be key.

SycamoreKen
05-10-2005, 05:24 AM
The lack of blocking out is an area I too have had trouble with this playoffs. J.O. never seems to do it, heck for the most part noone does. The wings didn't body up very well against Boston numorus times. Dale and Jeff seem to be the only ones doing consistantly.