PDA

View Full Version : Reggie: "They outplayed us. No excuses."

Kstat
05-09-2005, 11:08 PM
Reggie in postgame to his credit, said that fatigue and refs weren't an excuse.

He said the Pistons played at a level tonight, and the Pacers didn't match that. They have to find a way to match their intensity.

He said the Pistons man to man defense doesnt allow for Jermaine to eb a passer, so he's got to either beat his man or the offense is going to stall.

He also said, "I have to do a better job on Rip Hamilton," emphasizing himself. He added he calls Rip "mini-me."

Kstat
05-09-2005, 11:09 PM
Jermaine made it clear that the Pacers were too used to the Boston Celtics, and the Pistons were a big step up in terms of intensity.

He said, like reggie said, there are no tricks or gimmicks to Detroit's defense, they just haven't been able to beat it.

Jermaine also said that "we dont feel we have any matchup problems against Detroit."

Mr. Pink
05-09-2005, 11:12 PM
Jermaine made it clear that the Pacers were too used to the Boston Celtics, and the Pistons were a big step up.

WHAT?...YOU'RE CRAZY!

Boston and Detroit aren't at the same level? SINCE WHEN? I think that right there is Rick's fault. Although, they can't practice for Detroit's level of play...RICK should have had them prepared for it.

Kstat
05-09-2005, 11:14 PM
WHAT?...YOU'RE CRAZY!

Boston and Detroit aren't at the same level? SINCE WHEN? I think that right there is Rick's fault. Although, they can't practice for Detroit's level of play...RICK should have had them prepared for it.

Well, I got the feeling that he was taking a little jab at the celtics, as much as giving respect the the Pistons. He referred to the celtics like the pacers had prepared for this series by practicing against the junior varsity.....

indytoad
WHAT?...YOU'RE CRAZY!

Admittedly, in Rick's defense, he didn't have much time to do so.

However, it's still pretty dumb. Like when the Boston rookies were suprised that the P's changed their gameplan in the second game.

IndyToad
Living in the schoolyard

Kstat
It amazes me the level of respect Rip has for Reggie. He just outscores him by 22 points tonight, and he's talking about reggie like he wants his autograph.

SycamoreKen
05-09-2005, 11:15 PM
This sounds like what happened to Seattle last night. Injuries aside, they were not ready for the Spurs defense after Sac. I didn't see the game due to being in the ER fighting a lingering cold. Kind of glad I missed it.

Peck
05-09-2005, 11:17 PM
I hated that press conferance, hated it!!!!!!!

Reggie Miller all but should have said that "once Jermaine O'Neal came back I should have gone ahead & retired".

We are going to run our offense through J.O. & through Jax & he is now 3rd without question.

7 shots tonight.

I already got the answer to my question in my preview, I now know which Reggie we will get. At least for this game.

brichard
05-09-2005, 11:17 PM
It amazes me the level of respect Rip has for Reggie. He just outscores him by 22 points tonight, and he's talking about reggie like he wants his autograph.

Well, there is a bit of an age gap Kstat...

I mean, Kobe will probably always idolize Michael Jordan, but I hope for his sake that he could outplay a 40 year old man. :)

zag
05-09-2005, 11:18 PM

Why don't we match Reggie in his prime up against Rip and see what happens.

indytoad
05-09-2005, 11:18 PM

Yeah, especially since Rip is already much better than Reggie ever was. And it's so hard to hate him like I'm supposed to. Curse you Rip Hamilton, curse yoooou!

IndyToad
Now give me my mechanical hand

Mr. Pink
05-09-2005, 11:19 PM
I hope tonight's game was the Pacer's wake-up call. Tonight, they weren't ready for what Detroit has to offer as a b-ball team.

waterjater
05-09-2005, 11:21 PM

Why Kstat!?! Because Rip has class! He respects the players before him and respects what a career Reggie's had! I would love to have Rip on any team I cheered for.

If only Ben had 1/10th the class of Rip, Tayshawn and Larry Brown.

Water

waterjater
05-09-2005, 11:22 PM

Reggie Miller all but should have said that "once Jermaine O'Neal came back I should have gone ahead & retired".

We are going to run our offense through J.O. & through Jax & he is now 3rd without question.

7 shots tonight.

I already got the answer to my question in my preview, I now know which Reggie we will get. At least for this game.

Agreed, dumb **** offense tonight! Guys just stood around watching our post players TRY and beat their man. WILL NEVER EVER WIN THIS WAY!!!!!

MOVE THE ****ING BALL!!!!

Water

pacerwaala
05-09-2005, 11:27 PM
what scares me is we have not heard from Chauncey yet!

3ptmiller
05-09-2005, 11:46 PM

Why should he not have that level of respect? Just because he outscored a 40 year old hall of famer who happen to not shoot good that game and who will outscore a 12 year younger kid in game 2?

Unclebuck
05-09-2005, 11:47 PM
Well, I got the feeling that he was taking a little jab at the celtics, as much as giving respect the the Pistons. He referred to the celtics like the pacers had prepared for this series by practicing against the junior varsity.....

Yes that is exactly what it's like. Pistons are so much better than the Celtics.

If the pacers play like they did against the Celtics this series will go 4 games. The only two games where the pacers might have been close to beating the Pistons was game #3, and game #7

zag
05-09-2005, 11:52 PM
Why should he not have that level of respect? Just because he outscored a 40 year old hall of famer who happen to not shoot good that game and who will outscore a 12 year younger kid in game 2?

And it's not even that he shot horribly. 3-7 isn't too bad. He just didn't get the looks and number of shots tonight.

Mr. Pink
05-09-2005, 11:55 PM
Yes that is exactly what it's like. Pistons are so much better than the Celtics.

If the pacers play like they did against the Celtics this series will go 4 games. The only two games where the pacers might have been close to beating the Pistons was game #3, and game #7

I still think that our mentality wasn't where it should be heading into the game. Reggie, RC, or JO should have set the mood for the team right away before the game even started. They all looked surprised and lost out there. They have played against these guys before, and I don't know why they reacted this way. Game #2 better have a more competitive drive to it or this series is over...

Anthem
05-10-2005, 12:01 AM
Yeah, especially since Rip is already much better than Reggie ever was.

Toad, I know it's just you, so I'm letting this pass. If anyone actually thought that, I'd call them a moron.

Bball
05-10-2005, 12:23 AM
Toad, I know it's just you, so I'm letting this pass. If anyone actually thought that, I'd call them a moron.

Hmmm I don't know that Indytoad's statement is -that- wrong. Surely it could be debatable? Rip AFAIK doesn't have the flair for the big shot that Reggie is known for... but then if Reggie had spent his career bringing consistent performances like 'I see Rip bringing every time I see the Pistons' (and that is a caveat, BTW) then we wouldn't need so many big shots. We'd already be safely ahead.

I'm not saying you are wrong but I don't know that a differing view would be 'moronic'. It could end up an interested (and heated) debate with some people here.

...Of course I could be wrong and it could be this fever talking...

-Bball

SoupIsGood
05-10-2005, 12:54 AM
Rip AFAIK

I love the AFLAK goose.

Or, nevermind...

Bball
05-10-2005, 12:57 AM
I love the AFLAK goose.

Or, nevermind...

Is that a goose or a duck?

BTW... what's that insurance that pays you if you get injured and can't work? Do you know the one?

:D

-Bball

SoupIsGood
05-10-2005, 01:05 AM
In my world, there are no ducks, just geese.

And only geese.

Hoop
05-10-2005, 02:39 AM
Reggie and Rip - First 6 years comparison:

Reggie - Regular Season - Playoffs *** Rip - Regular Season - Playoffs

PTs -------- 19.2 --------- 25.1 - *** ---------- 17.2 -------- 21.9

FG% ------ .497 --------- .534 -- *** --------- .440 --------- .452

AST ------- 3.3 ---------- 3.0 --- *** --------- 3.3 ---------- 3.8

REB ------- 3.4 ---------- 3.2 --- *** --------- 3.3 ---------- 4.2

FT% ------ .872 --------- .881 -- *** --------- .855 -------- .869

TO -------- 1.92 --------- 1.93 -- *** --------- 2.33 -------- 3.42

STL ------- 1.21 --------- 1.20 -- *** --------- .86 --------- .96

Anthem
05-10-2005, 04:17 AM
Reggie and Rip - First 6 years comparison:

Nice work. They're even less comparable than I thought.

Back on topic, everyone needs to keep in mind that the Pacers have not practiced since beating the Celtics.

Suaveness
05-10-2005, 04:39 AM
The thing is, we didn't play bad. So I really am not worried, unless it happens again.

Eindar
05-10-2005, 06:01 AM
So, statistically, Reggie is the better player over the first 6 years. Only problem is that Rip has a ring on his finger :(

ImCrazyB
05-10-2005, 06:36 AM
So, statistically, Reggie is the better player over the first 6 years. Only problem is that Rip has a ring on his finger :(
Kinda like Peyton and Tom Brady ;oD

grace
05-10-2005, 10:54 AM

It amazes me that an NBA player would be smart enough to be respectful of another player so as not to give the other player motivation to go off during the next game. :sarcasm:

I can't stand Rip, but I don't think he's stupid.

Diesel
05-10-2005, 02:07 PM

7 shots tonight.

First off I think its debateable to even assume Steven Jackson is good enough to be a second option.There's no excuse with Reggie even as a 3rd option to get off just seven shots. On most teams the 3rd option gets off anywhere between 11-15shots. I believe with Oneal, Miller, Jackson, Tinsely(starting to get his legs back) we have 4 guys on starting lineup that can put the ball in the basket, there is no reason to just go inside to Oneal.

Mr. Pink
05-10-2005, 02:53 PM
When JO gets the ball in the post, he is really predictable. He's gonna do that fade-away or some spin/one hander. Also, when JO get's the ball on the block...all Detroit Defense just focuses on him. Everyone knows it, but the Pacers just stand around. Something else, it seems more times than not, JO get's the ball about a foot away from the block. He doesn't even get himself in a good spot to do some decent post moves.

JO needs to start his moves sooner, then atleast if he stuck there is more time for players to cut to the ball and basket.

Unclebuck
05-10-2005, 03:22 PM
When JO gets the ball in the post, he is really predictable. He's gonna do that fade-away or some spin/one hander. Also, when JO get's the ball on the block...all Detroit Defense just focuses on him. Everyone knows it, but the Pacers just stand around. Something else, it seems more times than not, JO get's the ball about a foot away from the block. He doesn't even get himself in a good spot to do some decent post moves.

JO needs to start his moves sooner, then atleast if he stuck there is more time for players to cut to the ball and basket.

I don't think you are giving the pistons defense any credit or if you are, then you aren't giving them enough credit.

The fact of the matter is if your best post player is not doubled then he should shoot the ball whenever he gets in the post. If he is not effective going one-on-one against Ben or Shed, then the coaches need to call different plays.

If they throw the ball into the post but no one comes over to double or at least cheat a little, off the ball movement is more of less meaningless.

As far as to why J.O gets the ball so far out, give the defense some credit, that is what they are trying to do.

Graywolf_59
05-10-2005, 03:25 PM
Reggie being the Team Leader saying this is to B xpected!I don't care what everyone say's-Fatigue figured into this game last nite(.)=(Period)!Play in Beantown Sat. nite-Fly from Beantown to Indy to Motor City....U could see it in the play of the Pacer's..slow on loose ball's--Very little block out's--short on alot of Jumper's=Tired!Larry Brown had the Pis_on's running in this game 4 a reason :) Game 2 will be alot different tomorrow nite---->another day's rest can / will make alot of difference!http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/Graywolf59/RM_FW_Tour/BeingtheEnemy.jpg
It's Reggie Time Again!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/Graywolf59/RM_FW_Tour/Reggie_BoomBaby.jpg

Mr. Pink
05-10-2005, 03:28 PM
I don't think you are giving the pistons defense any credit or if you are, then you aren't giving them enough credit.

The fact of the matter is if your best post player is not doubled then he should shoot the ball whenever he gets in the post. If he is not effective going one-on-one against Ben or Shed, then the coaches need to call different plays.

If they throw the ball into the post but no one comes over to double or at least cheat a little, off the ball movement is more of less meaningless.

As far as to why J.O gets the ball so far out, give the defense some credit, that is what they are trying to do.

It's because of Detroit's D that makes it so hard on the Pacers whenever JO gets the ball.

Graywolf_59
05-10-2005, 03:46 PM
Fatigue was the reason- Sactolover05.....Game's 2-3-4 the Pacer's will be another team from game 1!This team seem's to play alot better when the wall is at their back for some reason?!The Pis_on's had a week off between game's.....Pacer's had 1 day...and it envolved travel time.The next few game's (Will) B alot different Pacer team than the Pis_on's seen in Game 1!:buddies::confused::) This was C/P from Kstat's post at http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11755
In mentioning Reggie, he said he doesnt mind Reggie is hated in most arenas, and he said he thinks Reggie wants it that way.(Nuff said.....Reggie is the Enemy for every team the Pacer's play)!:devil:Let D Squared get mean----(Got a T) from the bench) :D!

P.S.(Turn J Squared loose on them)?!;)

MSA2CF
05-10-2005, 05:35 PM
I'm with you, Peck. This was my worst fear: Jermaine would return and so would the drop-it-in-to-O'Neal offense. I hate it and will always hate it. Like I said earlier, I'd rather Reggie go out in blazing glory than walk quietly into the night.

Mr. Pink
05-10-2005, 08:02 PM
Like I said earlier, I'd rather Reggie go out in blazing glory than walk quietly into the night.

Same here. They owe it to him to atleast to finish out tryin to look good. If Reggie said that he doesn't want that many shots or something...then I wouldn't mind.