PDA

View Full Version : I don't think Jermaines going to help at all.

PacerMan
04-21-2005, 12:38 AM
The offense is bogging down since he came back. He obviously can't do much of anything with the bad shoulder. Now that he's played and been exposed, the Celtics will be all over him, overplaying him to force him to use his right hand. WHY on God's green earth did he publicly say that "it isn't going to get any better"???????????????????????????????
The obvious grimaces and pain anytime he used it means they'll be 'chipping' him at every opportunity.
This is playoff basketball. The kid gloves are off..............we'll be lucky if he doesn't damage it more.
Watched the game at the health club while working out, no sound. Apologies if they talked about this.
Dang.

Unclebuck
04-21-2005, 12:47 AM
Well. Did you like the 1st quarter offense. The Pacers moved the ball, they basically ran the offense as they have the past 3 weeks. J.O barely touched the ball. I sensed though it was the offense most of you liked.

In the second half they went to J.O. and it was much more successful.

I cannot believe the myth that has been created and it has gained a stronghold. That J.O boggs the offense down

(If I have to be 100% thruthful, the offense had very little to do with the win tonight, it was the defense in the 2nd half that turned the game around.

Peck
04-21-2005, 12:54 AM
Well. Did you like the 1st quarter offense. The Pacers moved the ball, they basically ran the offense as they have the past 3 weeks. J.O barely touched the ball. I sensed though it was the offense most of you liked.

In the second half they went to J.O. and it was much more successful.

I cannot believe the myth that has been created and it has gained a stronghold. That J.O boggs the offense down

(If I have to be 100% thruthful, the offense had very little to do with the win tonight, it was the defense in the 2nd half that turned the game around.

I'm glad you said that because I was afraid I would once again just be jocking Dale if I mentioned this. But, IMO, Dale really stepped up in the third quarter & almost brought the team back by himself with his defense & timely rebounding.

Myth???? I'm not sure how it's a myth. Any strong post player is going to bog down the offense to a point.

When J.O. is in it just is really obvious for some reason. Now if it's his fault or Rick's fault or even Reggie's fault I don't know. But one man will never beat a team.

Unclebuck
04-21-2005, 08:45 AM
Dale set the tone in the third quarter. Abnd of course he got the biggest rebound of the game after Reggie's three went in and out

naptownmenace
04-21-2005, 09:45 AM
I don't think you guys are giving JO enough credit for last night's win. Of course Dale stepped up his defense in the second half but Jermaine played near perfect "D" in that second half as well.

JO really closed down the lane and challenged shots, which was the turnaround point of the game for me. When he became agressive on defense, the rest of the team picked up their efforts.

Besides, JO was 8-17 from the floor and was attacking the basket. That's when he is the most effective and it worked quite well in that fourth quarter. And you have to admit that Reggie and Stephen Jackson's jumpers were flat all night.

The Pacers lose that game without Jermaine's production and presence.

The Toxic Avenger
04-21-2005, 10:19 AM
I disagree PacerMan

Gonna have to agree with naptown here...In the third when the points were near 60 for each team you knew the second J.O. went out. Our 8-0 run fell flat on its face and we went from tied to down six in a minute and half. I can't say why He didn't do anything in the 1st qt. whether it was no open looks, carlisle's call, or just coincidence but honestly did anyone do anything in the 1st? We had 16 if I remember right... and that was mostly Reggie, Jackson, and A. Johnson.

Chest Rockwell
04-21-2005, 12:10 PM
Dale Davis does a lot of things well and has been a huge boost to this team, but with him and Foster on the court at the same time, we're toast. Neither guy can score unless they're open under the basket. This was evident last night and shows how important JO is. A big man who is an offensive threat opens up things on the perimiter. Once O'Neal was able to get going, the Pacers were able to swing the ball around and create shots for the guards. AJ was especially clutch.

beast23
04-21-2005, 12:30 PM
I'm probably one who helped start the alleged "myth", but I had no problems with JO's play last night.

Very seldom did he "bog down" the offense, primarily because he didn't just stand there 18 feet from the basket with the ball in his hands. Most of the time, he took his shot or initiated his move upon receiving the ball.

And I think that is the key. As long as JO doesn't stand there rocking or juking for 7-8 seconds, trying to get his man off balance in order to initiate his move, I have no problem.

"Feel your man", and have a good idea what you're going to do with the ball as it arrives. Know whether you can take the first step and seal him off, or whether you will face up and shoot or face up, fake and drive. Every player knows these things, partially because they know the tendancies of the defender and also because they know how they have set up the defender on prior possessions.

But I have no problem with a player that knows what he wants to do with the ball, and if that is taken away from him, he then passes off. The offense moves much better.

Speaking of bogging down, or maybe poor decision-making, how did everyone feel about the Pacer's last possession last night? It was pretty obvious that Reggie, and even his teammates were trying to provide Reggie with an opportunity to seal the win. But the shot just wouldn't go down.

Then we get the ball back, and Jackson, instead of passing to a wide-open Reggie in the corner, decides to keep the ball and draw the foul himself. Obviously the smart thing to do would have been to give Reggie the ball in order to let another 2-3 seconds drain from the clock before the defenders could get to Reggie to foul him, and also to put the league's best free throw shooter on the line.

I was more than a little p!ssed with Jackson at that point. It wasn't smart ball, and it also took the final thunder away from Reggie on his night. Looking at Reggie's expression as he went over to sit on the scorer's table as Jackson was taking his first free throw, I think Reggie was ticked as well.

Los Angeles
04-21-2005, 12:34 PM
Cue Debbie Downer Trumpet:

WHUA WAAAAaaaaaaaaa................. :(

:-p

DisplacedKnick
04-21-2005, 12:35 PM
Offenses automatically bog down in the playoffs because of how the games are called - the amount of physical play allowed. One reason why I don't see Phoenix getting past the 2nd rd.

Teams that have a "bogged down offense" go-to guy generally do well.

MagicRat
04-21-2005, 12:38 PM
I was more than a little p!ssed with Jackson at that point. It wasn't smart ball, and it also took the final thunder away from Reggie on his night. Looking at Reggie's expression as he went over to sit on the scorer's table as Jackson was taking his first free throw, I think Reggie was ticked as well.

I thought Reggie was more ticked at himself for missing the 3, but I'm sure he wasn't too happy with Stephen, either.......

NotLosingButWinning
04-21-2005, 12:43 PM
Then we get the ball back, and Jackson, instead of passing to a wide-open Reggie in the corner, decides to keep the ball and draw the foul himself. Obviously the smart thing to do would have been to give Reggie the ball in order to let another 2-3 seconds drain from the clock before the defenders could get to Reggie to foul him, and also to put the league's best free throw shooter on the line.

jack was about to pass the ball to reg but he hesitated. when you hesitate, it's not smart to make the pass because the defense will be ready for it. if he would have just passed it right of way it would have been fine but he didn't, probably because his last pass to reg was a horrible one.

Bball
04-21-2005, 01:02 PM
At first I thought Reggie was angry because SJax didn't pass him the ball at the end but then I realized it could've been more due to his (Reggie) missing the three a few ticks earlier. He got a good look and it went down and out.

That seems a bit out of character for Reggie to be that demonstrably angry at another player on the court. Angry is one thing but he took a seat on the Bulls' bench, sat on the scorers' table and slapped at it while Sjax took a FT, and was obviously not a happy camper even when he did come back on the court for SJax' 2nd FT. For that type of reaction I have to believe he was angry at himself and not SJax.

As for JO... -IF- he goes to the basket he helps... -IF- he holds the ball, ignores open teammates, doesn't make quick decisions, and then settles for a fadeaway, we are pretty much toast.

-Bball

Harddrive7
04-21-2005, 01:13 PM
So when the point is banging the ball on the outer key waiting for JO to break free letting precious seconds run off the clock, that isn't bogging down the offense? I saw that numerous times last night.

naptownmenace
04-21-2005, 01:23 PM
So when the point is banging the ball on the outer key waiting for JO to break free letting precious seconds run off the clock, that isn't bogging down the offense? I saw that numerous times last night.

That's ignoring the fact that the Bulls defense was pretty good last night.

I thought the offensive sets were fine last night but other than JO and AJ they missed a ton of shots.

ChicagoJ
04-21-2005, 01:24 PM
Dale Davis does a lot of things well and has been a huge boost to this team, but with him and Foster on the court at the same time, we're toast. Neither guy can score unless they're open under the basket. -snip-

Unfortunately, they still blow lots of those opportunities, too. :banghead:

-snip-I cannot believe the myth that has been created and it has gained a stronghold. That J.O boggs the offense down

I think JO's offense AND the third quarter defense were equally vital.

However, didn't I also hear Skiles admit that he bascially conceeded the second half to us/ Reggie. We weren't exactly playing against the best Chicago had to offer so I wouldn't give the defense too much credit here...

Dale set the tone in the third quarter. Abnd of course he got the biggest rebound of the game after Reggie's three went in and out

*THE* play of the game.

JO also committed a very impressive - but not dirty/ flagrant - foul under the north basket - don't remember exactly when or who, but it is clear that Dale's rubbing off on JO in the right ways. (blocking out, defending the paint, etc.)

Hicks
04-21-2005, 01:32 PM
For now I just want to add that I loved the defense Dale AND JO brought in the second half. This is the first time I saw what I'd wanted to see ever since I knew we were getting Dale back; the interior D when those two are "bringing it" is really good. And then James Jones (defensively) did a Ronnie impression at the same time, and we were really, really tough.

PacerMan
04-21-2005, 02:28 PM
Ok, sounds like you guys paid attention and saw things that I didn't. good to hear.
Seemed like everytime I was close enough to see the tv's he was grimacing or missing a shot. Didn't see any of the 1st quarter or much of the comeback. "seemed" like he eventually was just playing left handed?
I really afraid the Celtics are going to sneak blackjacks in their trunks and whack that shoulder every time the refs heads are turned. :(

Anthem
04-21-2005, 02:31 PM
I really afraid the Celtics are going to sneak blackjacks in their trunks and whack that shoulder every time the refs heads are turned. :(

O'Brien and Hunter are both gone, so that helps. I don't think Doc would do something like that.