PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Tribute on Pacer.com

Since86
04-20-2005, 03:18 PM
I didn't see any thread on it, if there is one sorry.

The whole site is dedicated to Reggie.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/reggie_tribute_page.html

blanket
04-20-2005, 03:35 PM
Not a separate dedicated thread, but some discusson on the Reggie interview in the Reggie Articles thread:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11069

Here's what I posted...

On another note, can we talk about these snippets from the Reggie interview at pacers.com:

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/reggie_interview.html

Q. It's hard to envision a Pacers team without you, yet that's the reality we all must face next season. What message would you like to send to your teammates to help them succeed in your absence?

A. If they can learn to work as a cohesive unit. I was probably caught up, my first two years, in making a name. Well, all these guys have made their names. They've made All-Star teams, made All-NBA, made Defensive Player of the Year. So they have the accolades. Now is the time to forget about stats. Who cares who gets 25? Who cares who leads the team in assists or steals or whatever? If they can play together as a team and not worry about all the little petty stuff, they are the best team in the league, talent-wise. If the game starts and they just play as a team, as a unit, no one can beat them. But they have to understand that first. Once they have that golden shining moment and it comes to them in a dream or whatever and they understand that, that's when this team and this franchise will go to another level from where it was when I was here.

and...

Q. Who were your favorite teammates?

A. Mark (Jackson) and Dale (Davis) start off at the top of the list. Vern (Fleming) and Herb Williams took me under their wing my first three years. And Chuck (Person). Antonio and Dale were my original bodyguards. They allowed me to do whatever I wanted out there and I knew they always had my back. Derrick (McKey), when there were guys I knew I couldn't guard, he slid over and took 'em for me. Rik (Smits), who probably didn't get the credit he deserved because he was so maligned because at 7-5 everybody thought he should be the next God. I like Jeff (Foster), even though he doesn't have the physicality of Dale or Antonio, he does the little things. I just wish he would be more tough and play a little bit more like Dale and Antonio and Bill Laimbeer. He already has that edge and he looks crazy enough that people aren't going to mess with him and that's all you need in this league, a little bit of rep.

First of all, he says the team's biggest issue is a lack of cohesiveness as a team, and too much focus on individual stats and accolades. Any guesses which teammates he has in mind?

Secondly, in the other quote, it's interesting to see his criticisms of Jeff Foster. Maybe having Dale around another season or two (hopefully) will teach Jeff how to have that tougher attitude and edge.

Unclebuck
04-20-2005, 03:45 PM
There some great comments by each of his coaches. Brought a tear to my eye

Cactus Jax
04-20-2005, 04:15 PM
I thought this remark by Vern Fleming was great as well:

"If he doesnít make the Hall of Fame, thereís something wrong with the game. They should tear the place down if he isnít in it. But Iím pretty sure heíll be in it."

Cactus Jax
04-20-2005, 04:19 PM
Also this part from Yao Ming is something I never knew:

"People here (in the United States) donít realize how famous Reggie Miller is in China. People think that itís all Michael Jordan back home; but people watch him (Miller) just as much. I remember watching him against Jordan in the 1998 Eastern Conference Championships. So there is another player that they follow. He was so quick at that time. He could get his shot off before you knew it. Plus, he was so skinny and I think thatís why people were drawn to him.Ē

Mourning
04-20-2005, 05:11 PM
Thinking of our own "tribute" to Reggie ... might be an idea to send some mails to some Pacers correspondents and/or contactpersons to get some publicity or something.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

3ptmiller
04-20-2005, 05:31 PM
Yea it was awesome, damn i will miss Regg.. honestly, deep from my heart.. Reggie was the only reason why i started playing basketball, the only reason why i watched NBA, the only reason why i became a Pacer fan.. i feel like losing a brother here.. :cry:

Suaveness
04-20-2005, 06:07 PM
Well, I just nearly cried. I had to hold it back somehow....God I'm going to miss him