PDA

View Full Version : FAVORITE MILLER MOMENT?!?

abington
04-20-2005, 12:34 PM
In the hours before the final regular season game of 31's career, I thought it would be cool if we all listed our SINGLE FAVORITE REGGIE MOMENT.

abington
04-20-2005, 12:36 PM
I think I have to go with the shot to beat Chicago in Game 4 of the 1998 ECF. I loved it for so many reasons, but mostly for 1. the pushoff of MJ, 2. Randy Brown walking off the court as Reggie released knowing the shot was going to go, 3. Reggie's crazy dance, 4. Seeing Michael, Phil and Scottie with the deer in the headlights look.

PHC Fan
04-20-2005, 12:38 PM
Being cut off by him on 465 S (near 86th street) several years ago!!!! :o

It was one of those moments where you see someone charging up behind you going 90 mph and catching a brief glimpse of the offending cut'er off'er!!!!! He briefly glanced in the direction in front of my car. Mind you, I may or may not have been going 75 mph (in the middle lane) :cool:.

Shade
04-20-2005, 12:40 PM
I think I have to go with the shot to beat Chicago in Game 4 of the 1998 ECF. I loved it for so many reasons, but mostly for 1. the pushoff of MJ, 2. Randy Brown walking off the court as Reggie released knowing the shot was going to go, 3. Reggie's crazy dance, 4. Seeing Michael, Phil and Scottie with the deer in the headlights look.

Ditto.

A close #2 would be the 8 points in 8 seconds. I was in absolute awe for what seemed like an eternity over that one. :eek:

naptownmenace
04-20-2005, 01:06 PM
My favorite is the 1995 Game 1, 8 points in 8.5 seconds, vs. the Knicks.

Why I'll never, ever, forget it:

I was recording the game for my Dad who had to miss the game.

It's the fourth quarter and the Pacers are down 6 with 8.5 seconds left. I walk up to the VCR and I'm about to stop the recording. Just then, the game comes back on from commercial and the Pacers take the floor.

Then it happens. Reggie nails the three. Nice little shove to Greg Anthony, the Reggie intercepts the pass, 1 dribble back to the arch, turnaround three swishes through the net!

At that point I head back to the coach, thankful that I didn't stop recording. Overall, my favorite moment of that game was Reggie running through the tunnel yelling, "Choke Artists!"

Greatest moment ever... no doubt about it.

DisplacedKnick
04-20-2005, 01:14 PM
1999 ECF.

Reggie for three - CLANG!

The following year he was deadly again.

Pistoner
04-20-2005, 03:01 PM
2004 - ECF

The Block.

Kstat
04-20-2005, 03:02 PM
this thread has turned quite cruel :laugh:

Jaydawg2270
04-20-2005, 03:04 PM
2002 versus the nets i'll never forget the call marv albert gave during it

Since86
04-20-2005, 03:07 PM

I think I'm going to have to agree with you. That night I was at my county track meet, and I remember putting up my PR in the 400m so I could get back to my coach because he had the radio on lol. Other than that, that night really sucked.......

Bball
04-20-2005, 03:17 PM

If anyone has this on tape, don't watch Reggie. Watch Austin Croshere. It would appear he is about ready to sulk off the floor with the loss before he notices the bedlam and realizes the ball banked in.

My favorite moment... Hmmmmm hard to say....
The 25 point 4th qtr vs the Knicks, the 8 points in 8 secs vs the Knicks, the 'shot' to beat the Bulls (and Larry Bird's 'non'-reaction to it). Those all stick out.

One thing that gets overlooked is how many times Reggie delivered the knockout blow. Not the game-winners or tiers at the buzzer that we all remember but instead the basket to kill an opponent's comeback or put the nail in the coffin. The game turning bucket. It might not have been the final basket or score of the game, but it was the point where the other team had the life sucked out of them. Their glimmer of hope dashed.

-Bball

heywoode
04-20-2005, 03:22 PM
Number one in my book is the shot to beat Michael and the Jordanaires in 1998. He wanted that game SO badly, that it was pure joy to watch him dance around after hitting it.

I have to admit it was still scary when Jordan rimmed out a bank 3 to re-win it in the .7 seconds that Reggie left him.....I still can't believe it didn't go in and bet Jordan still can't believe it either, even though they got the last laugh in the series. That ECF was the real Finals that year. Nobody was close to the Bulls' talent except Indy.....They all knew it too....

Ragnar
04-20-2005, 03:25 PM
Bball hit the nail on the head for me. It is not just any one playoff game. It is all the times when he in one shot killed the energy of the oposing team.

heywoode
04-20-2005, 03:30 PM
One thing that gets overlooked is how many times Reggie delivered the knockout blow. Not the game-winners or tiers at the buzzer that we all remember but instead the basket to kill an opponent's comeback or put the nail in the coffin. The game turning bucket. It might not have been the final basket or score of the game, but it was the point where the other team had the life sucked out of them. Their glimmer of hope dashed.

Good call, Bball

forgot to attribute that quote at the top!!!

Deadshot
04-20-2005, 03:38 PM
I'm going to have to go with the shot to beat Chicago in Game 4 of the 1998 ECF as well. This was far more significant to me as I watched it on TV as it happened; I only saw clips of Reggie hitting 8 points in 8.5 seconds.

Cactus Jax
04-20-2005, 04:07 PM
The 8 points in 8.9 seconds has to be my "favorite" because I never saw it live. I left the living room I was watching the game on and went out shooting hoops angry, while my brother kept watching the game. All of a sudden he runs out saying it's tie game, and I'm like WTF!?!?!

Also I love the 3 vs the Nets, because of Mark Boyle's call.

Jermaniac
04-20-2005, 04:10 PM
When we won the ECF and Reggie was jumping around and when he jumped into Jalen's arms. I was really happy that after all the great playoffs runs Reggie finally got to the show. The way he was playing I really thought we would win the Finals. Also there a whole bunch of other playoff memories I cant pick a favourite out of.

Doug in CO
04-20-2005, 04:38 PM
The shot to beat Jordan - that team was the only team that could have - and probably should have - beat the Jordan Bulls in their run.

Peck
04-20-2005, 04:44 PM
The most memorable thing for me was not a victory or a shot or Miller moment as we like to call them.

It was a defeat.

It was the second time we played the Celtics in the playoffs. The first time we gave them all they wanted & that was the series that Bird hit his head on the floor.

The second series wasn't so fabulous. I don't remember if it was a sweep or not (I think it might have been) but I know we never were in that series.

Jay you will want to skip this next part.

They beat us at M.S.A. & immediately after the game Chuck Person was yucking it up with the Celtics. Other players were shaking hands with them but only Chuck was having a good time.

Every player was involved in the commaradrie that ensues after a game. Every player but one.

That one player was Reggie Miller. He just was squatted down under the visitors basket & he stayed there for what appeared to be 5 min. (although I'm sure it was less) staring at the floor.

He was the only Pacer that day that was visibly upset by the loss.

He then stood up, walked over & shook a few Celtic hands & then went out the home ramp.

It was that day, IMO, that Reggie Miller became a special player to me. He wasn't content to be in the playoffs. He wasn't happy because he had gained some notarity from his personnal shoot out with Bird from the year before (unlike Chuck). He was mad that not only did we not progress from the previous year, we had regressed.

Many of us who were left at M.S.A. after that game went to the home ramp to cheer Reggie. Well those of us that were left not wearing green & white :rolleyes:

I've never been his biggest fan & in all honesty out of all of the seasons here he was only my favorite Pacer on the team for about 2 seasons.

But I always respected him for that day & conversely I lost all respect for Chuck Person on that same afternoon.

Reggie will always be the definition of a true competator to me.

Unclebuck
04-20-2005, 04:52 PM
Great story Peck. I was at the that game although I was likely too upset to stick around. Celtics did win that series 3-0. John Bagely, yes John Bagley dominated us. Michael Williams defense was that bad. Reggie Lewis was pretty good also.

My early memories of Reggie were not the best. He often took horrible shots late in games, trying to win it by himself. But he learned and either he learned to hit those "horrible" shots or he did not take them again.

naptownmenace
04-20-2005, 05:18 PM
Great story Peck. I was at the that game although I was likely too upset to stick around. Celtics did win that series 3-0. John Bagely, yes John Bagley dominated us. Michael Williams defense was that bad. Reggie Lewis was pretty good also.

My early memories of Reggie were not the best. He often took horrible shots late in games, trying to win it by himself. But he learned and either he learned to hit those "horrible" shots or he did not take them again.

My memories are a little different regarding those two things you mentioned:

1. IIRC, the Pacers lost that series 3-1 didn't they? I seem to remember Brian Gamble hurting us in that series a lot too. Either way, that was the most disappointed I've ever been in the Pacers.

2. I don't recall Reggie ever having poor shot selection. He was so efficient early on that everytime he shot it, I was sure it was going in. He took the ball to the hoop a lot more back then too.

3ptmiller
04-20-2005, 05:24 PM
Impossible to choose 1 favorite moment, this is Reggie ffs! The greatest clutch player ever! Its like trying to pick one hot babe out of 5000.. But the moment i will remember the most is against the Knicks when he hit the clutch shots and turned around against SPIKE LEE and gave him the "Choke Sign", because it gave me a huge Joker looking smile in my face for a Week! Im gona go with ALL those SpikeLee vs Reggie moments... i love Spike!! Every Team should have a Spike!

rabid
04-20-2005, 05:45 PM
4th quarter of game 5 of the 1994 ECF. It was a whole quarter, not just a shot.

That's the game that started the Legend.

close 2nd is the push-off shot against Michael.

number 3 is the 8 point in 8 secs in '95.

All three of those are so awesome that honestly it's hard to pick one.

Nets series 2002 gets honorable mention (a bit spoiled since technically the shot shouldn't have counted since it occured right after the buzzer - in fact that's why we have the end-of-half replay option now.)

ahhteeth
04-21-2005, 12:03 AM
I <3 #31

pacerwaala
04-21-2005, 12:50 AM
all the above are favourite moments but my favourite thing about Reggie is the teammate tath he is. Whether he is on the bench because he is injured or because he has been subbed, he is a load of inspiration and encouragement to his treammates. Every timeout he is the first one to come on to the court and hi-fi his team mates. He never is annoyed nor does he pout when taken out on defensive posessions, never talked back to his coach, never called out his teammates in the presse, etc, etc.

All the above are without a basketball in his hands. That is truly amzing how he has done all this for the past 18 years. There was not one teammate of his, past and present who had one bad thing to say about Reggie.