PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else feel like they OWE it to Reggie to be there tonight?

Reggie4Three
04-20-2005, 09:30 AM
I know I do. Don't get me wrong, I want to be there as well. Reggie has played as important of a role in my life as an athlete could. Reggie has been with the Pacers since I was 10 years old and today I sit here at 28 thinking about all the excitement he's brought to the Pacers and to me. To me, tonight isn't just Reggie's last game. It's like a friend's going-away party or a long-time coworker's retirement party. My attendance shows appreciation and gratitude for all that he's contributed to the Pacers, and to me as a fan of the team.

It is an odd concept to feel as if you OWE an athlete you've never met anything and I'm sure it's also one that most won't agree with. I know I will never feel like this about another professional athlete. For an entire generation (or two) of Pacers fans, Reggie IS the Pacers as far as we know them. What we have in Reggie is very special and you can't really understand it unless you are in that group of fans.

At the risk of sounding corny by addressing Reggie personally, I didn't want the day to go by without posting THANK YOU REGGIE. You've given Pacers fans so much excitement and happiness. No matter what happens with the Pacers down the road, you will always be the player that I think of as the greatest all-time Pacer. Thanks for everything Reggie, countless fans appreciate all of your hard work and dedication. You will be missed. :cry:

ABADays
04-20-2005, 09:34 AM
I am hoping the recognition will not be limited to the 18,000 or so at tonights game. I really, really believe there needs to be a larger public ceremony sometime outside of Conseco Fieldhouse where far more can acknowledge him. The US31 renaming for one day is nice but the stretch of road in front of the Fieldhouse HAS to be named Reggie Miller Way permanently.

Ragnar
04-20-2005, 09:52 AM
What we owe him is to let him lead as normal of a life as possible. If you see him on the street nod your head at him and smile but dont rush him and get in his space. Thats the best thanks we can really give him.

Oh and of course we should permanently re-name Hwy 31 Reggie Miller Highway.

Doug in CO
04-20-2005, 09:55 AM
Can someone post the FSMW coverage of the post game? I feel like I should be there, but I can't be - and it really has me down today.

Reggie4Three
04-20-2005, 10:09 AM
What we owe him is to let him lead as normal of a life as possible. If you see him on the street nod your head at him and smile but dont rush him and get in his space. Thats the best thanks we can really give him.

Not sure where that came from.

Ragnar
04-20-2005, 11:09 AM
Can someone post the FSMW coverage of the post game? I feel like I should be there, but I can't be - and it really has me down today.

Its getting recorded.

Evan_The_Dude
04-20-2005, 11:12 AM
I obviously can't be there but I am SNEAKING out of work early to make sure I don't miss this game. I've missed almost every national televised game this season! :(

SoupIsGood
04-20-2005, 06:16 PM
I couldn't be prouder of Reggie and what he's done for us, but I don't feel like I owe him anything.

Lord Helmet
04-20-2005, 06:37 PM
Its getting recorded.
So, they're going to show all of the post-game ceremonies on the post game? I know that WTHR is going to cover it too, I think.

And, back to the normal question, I couldn't be at the game, but, hopefully I will be at some playoff games. I appreciate everything Reggie's done for Indianapolis/Indiana. He has been a role model athlete. I will miss him. :cry:

Ragnar
04-20-2005, 06:43 PM
Actually that is a good question. I hope they do. I will record the post game and hope they show it.

8.9_seconds
04-22-2005, 10:41 PM
I definantely feel like I should have been there Reggie is basketbal to me, as I have posted before. Being there would have been like my final emotional investment, my goodbye to him, good bye to my childhood as it were.

Reggie was a major part of my childhood. He was the perfect hero, the perfect villian, the perfect role model. Reggie was the only person ever to dare Shaq to hit him harder, imagine that, skinny little Reggie daring Shaq to hit him, thats balls!!!

That one moment between Reggie and Shaq shaped my whole basketball career, I never let anyone push me around or else I'll for gun them, i've even Said hit me harder before. I think about Reggie before any game I play, it's a comfort to think that if he could overcome having to wear metal braces, I can overcome some chipped bones and torn muscles easily.

Thanks Reggie