PDA

View Full Version : TV to show ceremony for Miller

MagicRat
04-20-2005, 08:58 AM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050420/SPORTS04/504200431

<!--SEARCH--> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="479"> <tbody><tr> <td align="left" width="274">
</td><td width="98%">
</td><td valign="middle" width="205"> <script language="JavaScript"> <!-- OAS_AD('x01'); //--> </script>
</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="4" background="/graphics/misc/dots_bg2.gif" height="1">
</td> </tr> </tbody> </table> <!--SECTION LABEL GRAPHIC--> <!--NOT NEEDED IN GENERIC TEMPLATE--> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="477"> <tbody><tr> <td height="10"><spacer type="block" height="10" width="1"></td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="bottom">http://www.indystar.com/graphics/headers/header_SPORTS04.gif</td> </tr> </tbody> </table> <!-- HEADLINE & TIMESTAMP --> <!-- ARTICLE HEADLINE --> April 20, 2005

notebook
TV to show ceremony for Miller
http://www.indystar.com/graphics/clear.gif
<!-- SIDEBAR --> <!-- ARTICLE SIDEBAR --> <table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="210"> <tbody><tr> <td width="10">http://www.indystar.com/graphics/clear.gif</td> <td> <!--MAIN PHOTO--> <!--RELATED ARTICLES--> <table border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td bgcolor="#cccccc"> <table border="0" cellpadding="10" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td bgcolor="#eeeeee"> Related articles
Pacers fans prepare to say goodbye to Reggie (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050420/SPORTS04/504200423)
Pacers can clinch 6th seed with win (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050420/SPORTS04/504200421)
This team owes its superstar an apology (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050420/SPORTS04/504200413)

<!--RELATED EXTERNAL LINKS--> </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
<!--RELATED PHOTO GALLERIES--> <!----> <!--RELATED PHOTOS GALLERIES AND MULTIMEDIA ASSETS--> <!--MAIN FACTS BOX--> <!--ADDITIONAL FACTS --> </td> </tr> </tbody> </table> <!-- STORY TEXT --> <!--ARTICLE BODY TEXT--> By Mike Wells
<script language="JavaScript"> <!-- document.write( ''+'mike.wells'+'@'+'indystar.com'+' (http://+)'); //--> </script>mike.wells@indystar.com

Fox Sports Net Midwest will air the Indiana Pacers' postgame ceremony honoring guard Reggie Miller in its entirety tonight after their final regular-season game against the Chicago Bulls.

Those scheduled to take part in the ceremony include Pacers owners Mel and Herb Simon, CEO Donnie Walsh, team president Larry Bird, former Pacer Mark Jackson and Miller's sister Cheryl.

A ceremony to retire Miller's jersey will take place next season. FSN also will carry reactions from Miller's teammates in its postgame show.

Tonight's game is a sellout.

Miller highway for a day

The Indiana Department of Transportation has renamed U.S. 31 Reggie Miller Highway for a day in honor of his last regular-season home game.

"Reggie embodies the work ethic and values Hoosiers cherish," INDOT commissioner Tom Sharp said in a statement. "His accomplishments are legendary, and we wanted to recognize No. 31's contributions."

U.S. 31 goes from the southern border of the state, near Jeffersonville, to the state line in South Bend.

"I'm very honored to have U.S. 31 named for me," Miller said in the statement. "I've always tried to do my best for the fans here in Indiana, and to have a highway named for me that literally covers the entire state is a tremendous gesture."

Roster decisions

The Pacers must decide by 2 p.m. Thursday if point guard Jamaal Tinsley will be on the playoff roster. Tinsley, who said Monday he hopes to play in the playoffs, has logged just 42 minutes since hurting his foot Jan. 31.

"We'll do a last-minute checkup and then decide," Walsh said. "If he can come back he'll be on there. If it doesn't look like he can play, we'll have to make that decision."

Players may not be added once the postseason roster is set.

Tinsley, who quit wearing his walking boot more than two weeks ago, said he doesn't know when he'll start working with the team. His conditioning will be a question if he returns.

Call Star reporter Mike Wells at (317) 444-6053.

MagicRat
04-20-2005, 08:58 AM
I guess I won't worry too much about trying to smuggle in a video camera......

Doug in CO
04-20-2005, 10:20 AM
Can someone post this for the out of towners?

Peck
04-20-2005, 10:25 AM
Am I the only person who hopes that Larry Bird has a very small role in this? The last thing I want on Reggie's last night is for there to be a guy who was a Celtic as a player.

He is the G.M. now (or whatever title he is) so I understand why he needs to be there & be involved I just hope it's nothing more than introducing people & then maybe he could say something nice about Reggie & then move on.

Mushmouth
04-20-2005, 10:42 AM
AAARGGGHHHHH - I'm going to have to sit thought the WGN Chicago-feed w/ Johnny "Red" Kerr talking about Ben Gordon the whole game...

Doug in CO
04-20-2005, 10:56 AM
Am I the only person who hopes that Larry Bird has a very small role in this? The last thing I want on Reggie's last night is for there to be a guy who was a Celtic as a player.

He is the G.M. now (or whatever title he is) so I understand why he needs to be there & be involved I just hope it's nothing more than introducing people & then maybe he could say something nice about Reggie & then move on.

I totally agree - his part should be small. Guys like Rik Smits, Chuck Person, Vern Flemming, Mark Jackson, Dale Davis, etc. should play a part - maybe for the number retirement ceremony they will do it right - but it does not sound like they will get it right tonight.

ahhteeth
04-20-2005, 11:01 AM
Can someone post this for the out of towners?
I second the need for this vid

Hicks
04-20-2005, 11:01 AM
I'm going to try my best to record this ceremony.

MagicRat
04-20-2005, 11:03 AM

Who better to speak about Reggie than a guy who played against him, coached him in the Finals and worked with him as the G.M.?

Doug in CO
04-20-2005, 11:06 AM
Who better to speak about Reggie than a guy who played against him, coached him in the Finals and worked with him as the G.M.?

Like it or not - there is a faction of Pacers fans - myself included - who will never accept Larry Bird.

ChicagoJ
04-20-2005, 11:50 AM
AAARGGGHHHHH - I'm going to have to sit thought the WGN Chicago-feed w/ Johnny "Red" Kerr talking about Ben Gordon the whole game...

I don't think you are...

Granted, I'm driving down in just a few minutes so I haven't looked for myself but Tina's going to watch on ESPN and switch over to NBA-TV or ESPNNews, hoping they also broadcast the ceremony.

May not work, but that's the our plan...

rabid
04-20-2005, 11:56 AM
My TiVo is on the fritz, but my friend/neighbor has one, and I'm going to ask her to record it. I'll see what I can do.

Mushmouth
04-20-2005, 12:02 PM
I don't think you are...

Granted, I'm driving down in just a few minutes so I haven't looked for myself but Tina's going to watch on ESPN and switch over to NBA-TV or ESPNNews, hoping they also broadcast the ceremony.

May not work, but that's the our plan...

You have given me fresh hope, it very well may be on NBA-tv... AND I had no idea this was an ESPN game.

Now if I can get a 1070 signal up here to here Mark and Slick, I'll be golden :)

rabid
04-20-2005, 12:03 PM
Anyone else think Spike Lee will be there tonight?...

ChicagoJ
04-20-2005, 12:09 PM
You have given me fresh hope, it very well may be on NBA-tv... AND I had no idea this was an ESPN game.

Now if I can get a 1070 signal up here to here Mark and Slick, I'll be golden :)

God, I wish that were possible. :)

Maybe all us Chicago guys could be a low-watt radio station in northern Indiana and make them a Pacers affiliate. :laugh:

Hicks
04-20-2005, 12:18 PM
I think it would be good to have a recording of any and all post-game comments made by Mark, Slick, Kevin, and any callers about Reggie before or after the ceremony takes place. I'd do it if I knew how and had what I needed to do it.

Mushmouth
04-20-2005, 12:22 PM
God, I wish that were possible. :)

Maybe all us Chicago guys could be a low-watt radio station in northern Indiana and make them a Pacers affiliate. :laugh:

That leads to a question - does South Bend or Laporte or Portage or any of those have a Pacers affiliate? I assume its all Bulls land, but you never know.

I remember the golden days of the Internet when you could just fire up broadband and listen to the games on WIBC.com...

I get ESPN1000 pretty clearly in Indy.

Mushmouth
04-20-2005, 12:25 PM
I think it would be good to have a recording of any and all post-game comments made by Mark, Slick, Kevin, and any callers about Reggie before or after the ceremony takes place. I'd do it if I knew how and had what I needed to do it.

If someone is streaming the broadcast.com/yahoo feed, couldn't they record the feed using this free software (it would take some time however):

http://radio.about.com/cs/recordingstreams/ht/RecordStreams.htm

grace
04-20-2005, 01:37 PM

Someone who can speak proper English? :zip:

Actually he did use proper English in that speech he gave last year at the lunch with the commishoner, but I'm sure that was an accident.

And then there's the fact that I'm not sure how much "work" he's gone as the GM. :goodnight