PDA

View Full Version : Lost in all of this...

Peck
04-19-2005, 01:54 PM
is the fact that David Harrisons wonderfull rookie season was totally derailed by an elbow to the jaw.

Damn..............

Man I hope that he doesn't baloon up over the summer.

I still believe that with the proper teaching & desire (on his part) this guy could be the answer to every problem that faces us in the future.

Make no mistake, I love having Dale home. But he is at the end of a long journey & I want the transition to be between Dale & David. Probably not next season now but somewhere the season after that.

Who knows, if he improves over the summer the Pacers may have to start him or at least play him big min.

Offensively he's almost there. His rebounding needs lots & lots of work & he really regressed on the defensive end the last few weeks he played.

But it takes nothing away from what I consider the steal of the draft.

heywoode
04-19-2005, 01:56 PM
I agree with all of that.

grace
04-19-2005, 02:25 PM
The concussion put a big dent in his season, but it was his knee that ended it.

Bball
04-19-2005, 02:27 PM
Are you saying he never was the same after the concussion, and the effects of the time off, or are you saying that the team is hiding something from us with the report of the knee injury? The Star did report he had (or will be having) surgery on the knee.

-Bball

Skaut_Ech
04-19-2005, 02:32 PM
I gotta say. Harrison scares the crap outta me. I think he's going to be one of two extremes: Either and aggresive player who can impact the game like Danny Fortson (minus the fouling), or a wasted talent like Oliver Miller, who let his weight and lack of focus derail a promising career.

I'm not basing this on anything other than a gut feeling. I don't see him being a middle of the road player. I think he's either going to be great...or a bust. I think about the scouting reports on him. I look how sloppy he looks sitting on the bench. And I wonder.

Man, I hope he pans out.

You guys know I'm not a Pollyanna by any means, but a healthy team with Foster/O'Neal/Bender (yes, I'm holding out hope. Danny Manning.Danny Manning...) down low backed by nice low minute vets in Pollard/Davis, coupled with James Jones (Whom I openly jock.) and Artest at SF and Stephen J......Man, I really see us having a potentially dominant squad.

But like Peck says, it may just hinge on Harrison.

Far as I'm concerned, any real title winning threat team STILL will only be able to do it with a proto-typical center: Big, good passer, but can score. I pray that David uses this sumer to set the tone for the rest of his career. This team may depend on it.

Anthem
04-19-2005, 05:03 PM
I hope he ends up better than Danny Fortson...

fwpacerfan
04-19-2005, 05:06 PM
I love Harrison's game and his demeanor but the concussions (he had one in college as well) so close together scares me. I hope he doesn't suffer another one anytime soon. I think the knee thing maybe was a smokescreen for the concussion.

Tim
04-19-2005, 05:32 PM
I think we is gonna work out, the question is will it be for the Pacers?

SoupIsGood
04-19-2005, 05:40 PM
It hasn't gone lost on me. :P

This kid is the one place where it's always :sunshine: with me.

I :love: David Harrison!

beast23
04-19-2005, 06:47 PM
I'm with Scott on this one, I think the Pacers will dominate in the immediate future.

I think that Harrison is a very vital piece to posture us for the future. But, I've also believed that the most significant increase in abilities for bball players comes between the 2nd and 3rd years. For centers, maybe even the 3rd and the 4th. So Harrison has plenty of time; he just needs to continue working hard this summer.

I don't hold any hope for Bender.

As for JJ, he has quickly become one of my favorite players. But with his being a free agent this summer, and his home base being Miami, I am more than a littel worried that he might go home for his future seasons. After all, the Heat gave up a ton for Shaq and they could use a young perimeter shooter that seems to be developing very well on both ends of the floor. He seems to have sentiment and allegiances towards the Pacers, so I guess we'll wait and see what the summer brings. Who knows?

Jaydawg2270
04-19-2005, 06:58 PM
I doubt that he will be here for long

Anthem
04-19-2005, 08:27 PM

Hulk or JJ?

SoupIsGood
04-19-2005, 08:38 PM

Don't say that! :sad:

Suaveness
04-19-2005, 08:48 PM
Who is David Harrison?

Kegboy
04-19-2005, 11:15 PM
This summer is going to be crucial for Harrison. As I understand it, he's gonna have some down time due to his knee. I'm worried that he'll lounge around and lose his conditioning he worked so hard for last summer. If he gains weight, it's just gonna be that much harder for his knee when he gets back.

David is a guy that really makes me miss Mark Aguirre. Chuck does a good job teaching shooting and bodying up, but he's not the big-man coach Mark is.

Even if he makes it through the summer okay, of course it all really depends on what moves we make. Having JO, Dale, Jeff, Scot, and Austin all in front of him would really suck. One, or preferably both of those last two need to go. I like Scot, but his ending contract is too valuable for him just to play Shaq four times a year. As for Austin, well, um, I like Scot. :innocent:

indygeezer
04-20-2005, 12:50 AM
I think it was the concussion that did himin. It really concerns me how quickly he got out of shae while down with the ringing bells. Losing game conditioning is one thing, but packing on pounds of fat really concerns me (at least he LOOKED a lot flabbier)

I pray that he comes back lean and mean. OK lean and determined, I think mean might be a real stretch.

ChicagoJ
04-20-2005, 12:54 AM
If Rick isn't going to use him (if we re-sign DD) then we should trade him.

And I'm torn here - I really like David but I'd rather see this team get more mature quickly this summer - give Rick more vets/ role players to work with.

Anthem
04-20-2005, 02:05 AM
If Rick isn't going to use him (if we re-sign DD) then we should trade him.

Are you serious? :o

Even if he starts (which he should), Dale shouldn't play more than half of each game next season. I know we all respect him as a warrior, but he's getting up there and we should be careful with his minutes. Who's going to get the other 24? Either Pollard or Harrison. And given that both have had injury problems, it won't hurt us to have them both around.

And that's just for next year. Let's say we sign Dale for 3 years. That's longer than I could see him being effective, but he probably wouldn't sign for less. It's a good bet that Pollard will be gone after next year. Who's going to be taking minutes after that? It's all Harrison, baby.

He'll get an opportunity, and he'll get it here. I'm optimistic. Besides, what are we going to get for a rookie center with weight problems and mental issues? :flirt:

Hicks
04-20-2005, 09:09 AM
Are you serious? :o

Even if he starts (which he should), Dale shouldn't play more than half of each game next season. I know we all respect him as a warrior, but he's getting up there and we should be careful with his minutes. Who's going to get the other 24? Either Pollard or Harrison. And given that both have had injury problems, it won't hurt us to have them both around.

And that's just for next year. Let's say we sign Dale for 3 years. That's longer than I could see him being effective, but he probably wouldn't sign for less. It's a good bet that Pollard will be gone after next year. Who's going to be taking minutes after that? It's all Harrison, baby.

He'll get an opportunity, and he'll get it here. I'm optimistic. Besides, what are we going to get for a rookie center with weight problems and mental issues? :flirt:

Did this suddenly appear on all milk cartons? http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/jeff_foster.jpg

beast23
04-20-2005, 10:08 AM
First of all, with his ending contract, Pollard may not even be here to start the season. I'd put his chances at maybe 1-in-4 of being here after the trade deadline. I think he will be used to dump one of our untradeable players (Bender?).

So I think the primary guys up front will be JO and Dale, with Foster (not Harrison) being the first player off the bench, regardless of who he is going in for.

Until he works his way back in, I think that Harrison is the odd man out. And Croshere will become non-existent.

ChicagoJ
04-20-2005, 11:27 AM
First of all, with his ending contract, Pollard may not even be here to start the season. I'd put his chances at maybe 1-in-4 of being here after the trade deadline. I think he will be used to dump one of our untradeable players (Bender?).

So I think the primary guys up front will be JO and Dale, with Foster (not Harrison) being the first player off the bench, regardless of who he is going in for.

Until he works his way back in, I think that Harrison is the odd man out. And Croshere will become non-existent.

That's my point, Anthem. I'd play Harrison over Foster, but I don't think Rick will.

If there are no minutes for him, include him in a package. The next season or two will be critical for David's development. I'd rather get rid of him now than have a repeat of the Primoz Brezec waste-away-on-the-bench situation - and Brezec would make a fine high-post compliment to JO even if he's not as 'rugged' as many of us would prefer.

ADDENDUM - I don't have any problem with Rick's preference to play veterans. But the front office should take the pressure off everyone when he's the coach and give him a team full of veterans. He doesn't need any rookies that he's unwilling to play, he doesn't need someone like me second-guessing that decision, management should just give him a veteran-laden team to work with. He'll be successful, those Detroit teams had less talent 'on paper' than this Pacer team (assuming everyone is healthy but Ron is still suspended), but Rick had enough time to devise a gameplan and they were also much healthier.

Anthem
04-20-2005, 12:35 PM
That's my point, Anthem. I'd play Harrison over Foster, but I don't think Rick will.

If there are no minutes for him, include him in a package. The next season or two will be critical for David's development. I'd rather get rid of him now than have a repeat of the Primoz Brezec waste-away-on-the-bench situation - and Brezec would make a fine high-post compliment to JO even if he's not as 'rugged' as many of us would prefer.

I continue to believe that we stashed Primoz on the bench because we hoped to hide him from the Bobcats.

As for playing Harrison over Foster, it won't be an issue. Foster will be our backup PF after we ship off Croshere and Bender this summer. :pray:

ChicagoJ
04-20-2005, 12:47 PM
Artest is more tradeable than either Croshere or Bender.

I guess I just don't understand the optimism that either of those guys can realistically be moved. I'm not sure Ron can realistically be moved either, but I suspect management might be more motivated to rid themselves of the headaches he causes. I see them taking the same "must get equal value" approach for those two players and I expect them both to be part of the Pacers next season.

Frankly, Jeff Foster might be our most tradeable player.

beast23
04-20-2005, 12:51 PM
Croshere and Bender both have 2 years remaining on their contracts.

Pollard has only next year.

Any major trade that we might be able to make will involve Pollard and someone else. I doubt there is any way in hell we could ever be lucky enough to trade both Croshere and Bender in the same summer or even the same year.

Anthem
04-20-2005, 12:58 PM
I doubt there is any way in hell we could ever be lucky enough to trade both Croshere and Bender in the same summer or even the same year.

But you agree we should try, right?

grace
04-20-2005, 01:26 PM
But you agree we should try, right?

I should try to lose 30 pounds. I might have more success than the Pacers would unloading those two.

beast23
04-20-2005, 01:32 PM
But you agree we should try, right?Most assuredly.

What I really wish is that Cro could play off the bench. I'd gladly give up Pollard and Bender, knowing that Cro would have an expiring contract to use for the following season.

The wierd thing about our team is that we now have two starting caliber point guards. There are a lot of AJ detractors who would find that the most unlikely statement that could ever be made. But with that, something may happen there over the summer as well.