PDA

View Full Version : Let's get down to it: I want the Pistons

RSmits
04-19-2005, 10:11 AM
I will come right out and say it: I want the 7th seed and the Pistons in the first round. Yes, this means ending the season on a losing skid. Yes, this means a much more difficult match-up in the first round. But it's the only series that would really matter to me. We beat the Celts, great, we have a moral victory and a beat-down by the Heat to show for it. We can talk about how this team came back from all of the adversity and won a series, only to lose to the better team. We can all hold hands and skip down the street counting the days till Artest comes back. Of course, this all assumes we can beat the Celts in 7, which is not a foregone conclusion.

Or, we can play the Pistons in the first round, and put everything on the line. This will be our championship, revenge for last season's loss, Nov. 11, and the opportunity to dethrone the champs. If we win, the Pistons season will be shorter than ours. It will give meaning to Reggie's last season. It will give something back to the fans after a disappointing season. Bring them on.

Unclebuck
04-19-2005, 10:22 AM
I will come right out and say it: I want the 7th seed and the Pistons in the first round. Yes, this means ending the season on a losing skid. Yes, this means a much more difficult match-up in the first round. But it's the only series that would really matter to me. We beat the Celts, great, we have a moral victory and a beat-down by the Heat to show for it. We can talk about how this team came back from all of the adversity and won a series, only to lose to the better team. We can all hold hands and skip down the street counting the days till Artest comes back. Of course, this all assumes we can beat the Celts in 7, which is not a foregone conclusion.

Or, we can play the Pistons in the first round, and put everything on the line. This will be our championship, revenge for last season's loss, Nov. 11, and the opportunity to dethrone the champs. If we win, the Pistons season will be no longer or shorter than ours. It will give meaning to Reggie's last season. It will give something back to the fans after a disappointing season. Bring them on.

You make a good points.

But let me ask this.

I think the Pacers have about a 40% chance of beating the Celtics.

I think the Pacers have about a 10% chance of winning more than 1 game against the Pistons and about a 3% chance of winning the series.

You might disagree with my figures, bt for sake of this discussion assume my % are accurate, do you still want to play the Pistons.

Comes down to risk v reward. Would you rather have a 10% chance of winning $10,000 or a .001% chance of winning $10 million

Peck
04-19-2005, 10:28 AM
Not that I disagree with you, but I wonder.

Why do you only give us a 10% chance of winning more than one game vs. the Pistons?

naptownmenace
04-19-2005, 10:31 AM
I think that the Pacers actually matchup better against the Pistons than the Celts. I also agree with RSmits - this is the matchup that I want to see the most. The Pacers will be that much more motivated to play against the Pistons and with nothing to lose will play loose. That could be a dangerous combination for the Pistons.

I'll be a nervous wreck but so will several Pistons fans... especially if the Pacers can steal one of the first two games.

RSmits
04-19-2005, 10:32 AM
I agree, though 3% seems a bit low. In my warped world, I see the Pacers playing more inspired against them than the Celtics. I would also like to see the difference DD would make. So yes, ultimately the Celts win would mean so little to me, I would rather take the greater risk of playing the Pistons. Heck, even if we lose to them in 6 or 7 games, at least we gave it the ole college try.

Ragnar
04-19-2005, 10:34 AM
I would rather take on the Celts in the first round and hope we get our players either back or in game condition by the second round if we can get there.

shags
04-19-2005, 10:55 AM
A Pistons-Pacers first round series is a win-win for the Pacers and a lose-lose for the Pistons.

It's that simple.

If I were a Pacer fan, I'd want that series too.

Reggie4Three
04-19-2005, 10:59 AM
You make a good points.

But let me ask this.

I think the Pacers have about a 10% chance of winning more than 1 game against the Pistons and about a 3% chance of winning the series.

You might disagree with my figures, bt for sake of this discussion assume my % are accurate, do you still want to play the Pistons.

Comes down to risk v reward. Would you rather have a 10% chance of winning $10,000 or a .001% chance of winning $10 million

Wow. I think your numbers are quite pessimistic. Mine are no worse than 50/50 against the Celtics and maybe 25% against the Pistons (in the first round).

I would rather play the Celtics first round, but if we get the Pistons I hope we look at it as a tremendous opportunity. The Pacers, in spite of the fact that they don't "scare" Kstat, are not who the Pistons want to play in the first round.

canyoufeelit
04-19-2005, 11:00 AM
It's a win-win for the league shags, if there's no incident and everything goes smoothly. But I don't see the Pacers pushing it past 5.

Fool
04-19-2005, 11:02 AM
A Pistons-Pacers first round series is a win-win for the Pacers and a lose-lose for the Pistons.

It's that simple.

If I were a Pacer fan, I'd want that series too.

Every smart Piston fan agrees with you.

canyoufeelit
04-19-2005, 11:18 AM
Every smart Piston fan agrees with you.

Cue Kstat disagreeing. Kidding, folks. I kid because I love :D

Seriously, it would be a good thing provided the teams get down to playing some basketball with no fireworks via an altercation or bomb scare or whatever. But the more than likely reality of losing would still suck :(

abington
04-19-2005, 11:23 AM
HAS EVERYBODY LOST THEIR MINDS????

We need time to heal up, maybe get Jamal back, certainly to give JO some reps because right now he is almost worthless. The only way we have any chance against Detroit or Miami is to beat the Celts in the first round and hope some of our guys mend during that time.

dannyboy
04-19-2005, 11:26 AM
So will you guys that prefer the Pistons in the first round be actually rooting for the Pacers to lose on Wednesday?

Manuel
04-19-2005, 11:45 AM
Either way we'll have to face the Pistons. Whether it be in the first or second round.

dannyboy
04-19-2005, 11:47 AM
PM Indytoad. He can teach you how to do it.

Or, one could just study from The Book.

Bball
04-19-2005, 11:54 AM
I'd prefer to take on the Pistons from a couple of angles...
One: No new challenges for the team
Two: I think there is plenty of motivation for that series that might empty the tank but could make the season

OTOH... I don't want to back into the playoffs. These are professional athletes (altho they are human as well) so they shouldn't need any extra motivation than the fact there is a game to be played (regardless of the opponent). So at this point, play like champs and take on whoever is in the other bracket.

-Bball

dobermanpharaoh
04-19-2005, 12:14 PM
I'd prefer to take on the Pistons from a couple of angles...
One: No new challenges for the team
Two: I think there is plenty of motivation for that series that might empty the tank but could make the season

OTOH... I don't want to back into the playoffs. These are professional athletes (altho they are human as well) so they shouldn't need any extra motivation than the fact there is a game to be played (regardless of the opponent). So at this point, play like champs and take on whoever is in the other bracket.

-Bball
Exactly.Besides these 2 teams know each other very well,I think a better series to watch as a fan as well.And a litmus test for the Pacers.I mean if they can't beat the pistons,what's the point?

Unclebuck
04-19-2005, 01:26 PM
Not that I disagree with you, but I wonder.

Why do you only give us a 10% chance of winning more than one game vs. the Pistons?

There are many reasons. Pistons are playing very well right now and are just a much better team than the tired and disjointed Pacers. I beleive the players have given everything they that they have over the past 6 weeks, and they have very little left.

Hicks
04-19-2005, 01:38 PM
Either way we'll have to face the Pistons. Whether it be in the first or second round.

I was wondering when someone would bring this up. If we don't face Detroit now, we will if we advance to the 2nd round.

recap
04-19-2005, 01:55 PM
I haven't posted for several weeks, because I haven't had much to add, but I agree 100%. I want the Pistons in the first round. First, as UB put it, we only have maybe a 40% chance of advancing against the Celtics, and I definitely want a Pistons series. Second, we are as healthy right now as we are going to be. Anyone who seriously thinks that wearing ourselves out trying to beat the Celtics is going to allow us to heal is crazy. Tinsley isn't coming back. Maybe, JO gets a little more comfortable, but really a Celtics series would only serve to further wear down Reggie and AJ while the Pistons sweep their first series and wait for us.

As to whether I want us to purposely lose the Bulls game, the answer is sort of no. I think that we should play to win, but I think that we should rest Reggie and AJ. If we beat the Bulls without those guys, great. If not, we get the Pistons with Reggie and AJ as rested as they are going to be.

RSmits
04-19-2005, 02:07 PM
I was wondering when someone would bring this up. If we don't face Detroit now, we will if we advance to the 2nd round.

I thought Miami (one seed) played the lowest remaining seed in the second round? No?

indytoad
04-19-2005, 02:15 PM
I thought Miami (one seed) played the lowest remaining seed in the second round? No?

No. Miami plays the winner of the 4-5 matchup. There's no reseeding in the NBA (yet).

IndyToad
The Cheat is not dead

grace
04-19-2005, 02:22 PM
I DO NOT want to play the Pistons! I don't even want to play the Celtics, but that's who we're stuck with (I hope).

If we win against the Celtics that doesn't necessarily mean we'll play the Pistons in the second round. All the sudden the 76ers are playing pretty good.

Skaut_Ech
04-19-2005, 03:08 PM
I'll tell ya why I fear the Pistons.

The Pistons and the Pacers hate each other. The league isn't too fond of the Pacers right now. The Psitons are the reigning champs.

Andy series between is is going to have a lot of shoving and grabbing and intensity.

Who do you think the refs are more likely to come down harder on, us or the Pistons. :chin:

I don't mean to sound like a conspiracist, but I think we've all seen enough playoff series in which the media favored team gets a couple of key calls when needed. Repeatedly.

I feel like playing the Pistons, they have an extra man on the floor in the sense of unspoken pressure from the league for the Pistons to advance as far as they can.

Especially against us.

shags
04-19-2005, 03:43 PM
I'll tell ya why I fear the Pistons.

The Pistons and the Pacers hate each other. The league isn't too fond of the Pacers right now. The Psitons are the reigning champs.

Andy series between is is going to have a lot of shoving and grabbing and intensity.

Who do you think the refs are more likely to come down harder on, us or the Pistons. :chin:

I don't mean to sound like a conspiracist, but I think we've all seen enough playoff series in which the media favored team gets a couple of key calls when needed. Repeatedly.

I feel like playing the Pistons, they have an extra man on the floor in the sense of unspoken pressure from the league for the Pistons to advance as far as they can.

Especially against us.

Well, I never thought I'd live to see the day where the Detroit Pistons would be the NBA's glory franchise. :rolleyes:

I don't know whether to :dance3: or :puke:

Tim
04-19-2005, 03:48 PM
You make a good points.

But let me ask this.

Why do people think we are gonna just show up and beat the Celtics???

They have been around the block a few times and have knocked us out of the playoffs a couple of years back. They are tested an still have bad memories of the last time we met post season. We take on the Celtics and we would be lucky to last 6 games.

Our best bet in the post season is Detroit, we need them first. No matter how much we get down, how bad it gets, we will never give up against them, we will never be too tired and in too much pain to give in to them.

Kegboy
04-19-2005, 10:59 PM
I don't want to play Detroit for a very simple reason. If any of those jackass Pistons fans from last year are sitting by me, by the end of the game I'll be in jail while their bodies are being scraped up from the floor of the club level. There's no glamour being in the slammer.

Plus, Ron Artest would probably be suspended another year for my actions. :(

SoupIsGood
04-19-2005, 11:07 PM
I don't really care who we play. I'm fine with us playing Detroit or Boston. I like Boston, because we have a chance to win, and I like Detroit, because I love watching us play Detroit. Very entertaining ball, in my opinion. (This is without the various "distractions," of couse)

BabbleOn
04-19-2005, 11:58 PM
A Pistons/Pacers first round series isn't good for anyone. It's not good for the Pistons because too much emotional energy will be wasted early on. No good for Pacers because, most likely, they will lose, meaning they'll have to find new ways to hate the Detroit Pistons.

I'd prefer to bypass this matchup, at least until Round 2.

Fool
04-20-2005, 12:02 AM
A Pistons/Pacers first round series isn't good for anyone. It's not good for the Pistons because too much emotional energy will be wasted early on. No good for Pacers because, most likely, they will lose, meaning they'll have to find new ways to hate the Detroit Pistons.

I'd prefer to bypass this matchup, at least until Round 2.

You don't count because you don't answer your phone when certain #2 picks start for certain teams!

Kstat
04-20-2005, 12:11 AM
You don't count because you don't answer your phone when certain #2 picks start for certain teams!

Darko played pretty damn well tonight, didn't he?

Can't wait to see how he follows up tonight's performance....

Kstat
04-20-2005, 12:15 AM
DARKO HAS A CAREER HIGH IN POINTS HIGHERTHAN JOHN EDWARDS!

RING THE BELLS, SUCKERS!

....and 3 assists and 3 blocks to boot.....

wish he would have gotten more boards, but Ben stole them all..:laugh:

On a serious note, Carlos Delfino is FINALLY healthy and he is EVERYTHING I hoped he'd be.....our bench is looking better and better.

Fool
04-20-2005, 12:19 AM
Darko played pretty damn well tonight, didn't he?

Can't wait to see how he follows up tonight's performance....

Yes he did. The entire bench was impressive but it was quite a relief to finally see a bit of the "potential" that we've all had to pin our hopes to. Seeing those 3 (or was it 4?) 15-20 footers swish through was quite exciting. Hopefully, tomorrow will be more of the same.

Kstat
04-20-2005, 12:26 AM
Oooooh, one better than Edwards in each...

I hope the bell keeps ringing..........(and that it doesn't injure Bender's hearing).

Speaking of bender, Darko only fell 6 short of him..hopefully he can break 22 tomorrow night so I dont have to hear it quite as much from you guys over the summer......

BabbleOn
04-20-2005, 12:32 AM

LOL! Sorry brotha, I was too stunned to look at the phone.

Minus the fouls, #31 looked like an actual NBA player, which is...unbelievable. Scoring comfortably, passing like Vlade, defending admirably. Say goodbye to the Big Easy. He won't be needed next year.

If only we could've involved the bench like this throughout the season.

Kstat
04-20-2005, 12:34 AM
LOL! Sorry brotha, I was too stunned to look at the phone.

Minus the fouls, #31 looked like an actual NBA player, which is...unbelievable. Scoring comfortably, passing like Vlade, defending admirably. Say goodbye to the Big Easy. He won't be needed next year.

If only we could've involved the bench like this throughout the season.

Well, the only way to give this kid a confidence boost like that was to START him...and its not like we ever had a good opportunity.

As for the fouls, hge managed to play 22 minutes in the 2nd half and only fouled once. I consider that an improvement.

He actually looked BETTER than anything Campbell's given us, but Elden still gets the nod via experience.

There's NO WAY this kid isn't worked into the rotation next season, wether larry stays or not. There's just too much ability there.

Suaveness
04-20-2005, 12:48 AM
Speaking of bender, Darko only fell 6 short of him..hopefully he can break 22 tomorrow night so I dont have to hear it quite as much from you guys over the summer......

You know you WILL hear it too

Will Galen
04-20-2005, 01:33 AM
I wanted to play Chicago or Washington. Teams with no experience in the playoffs tend to lose.

I also don't like it that those two teams are playing each other. That means one of them will advance and get even more experience. The winner of this series will be a lot harder to beat than they would be in the first round.

I don't want to play Boston, for one thing we don't have Artest to control Pierce, and they too have playoff experience. I wouldn't be surprised to win or lose against Boston. It will really suck if we lose to Boston though.

Detroit on the other hand means the Pacers will bring it like for no other team. Another thing about Detroit, they have won 11 in a row. I have a theory about teams that run off long winning streaks. The theory is that once they lose, they are easier to beat, and changes are they won't run off another long winning streak.

I've watched this happen several times. It's my theory that once a winning streak occurs, pressure begins to build. Players are then hyper alert and playing their best. When they lose they lose this hyper alertness and it takes a while to build back up.

So as things stand now, I think the first series is the best time for us to meet them.

Of course the other side of the coin is they could keep right on rolling. The key is beating them the first time. Another possible fly in the ointment is Detroit is resting their best players so they can go longer at this high state of alertness. Still, if we can beat them now and shake their confidence we have a good chance at beating them.

If we have to play the Celtics first and happen to get by them, I'm worried about what we will have left even for Detroit.

Besides, I would rather lose to the defending champs than the Celtics. Plus playing us in the first round wouldn't be doing Detroit any favors.