PDA

View Full Version : Sassan and Holick Lee

ABADays
04-19-2005, 08:32 AM
Featured in the Reggie Miller article in the Star this morning. I had wondered what happened to Lee. He use to be a regular contributor here. Am I right that he is also a Spurs fan? I thought maybe he had gone over to the Spurs board.

Stryder
04-19-2005, 08:44 AM
A 700 dollar pen? LOL.

Good for him, though, it's cool seeing some people get close to ball stars...

Ragnar
04-19-2005, 08:53 AM
I guess that article answers why there were so many hits from Asia for the games.

RWB
04-19-2005, 09:02 AM
I wonder if Sassan is testing the Money Can't Buy You Love theory? I'll give the guy credit he is a fan.

diamonddave00
04-19-2005, 12:22 PM
Now that I see Sassan is Senior Loan Officer at age 20 , for his dads company I understand how he can attend games all over.

Can't imagine being 20 years old and having $10,000 disposable income to fly to Pacer games. I'm sure a perk working for daddy is going into work late after flying home after a game.

heywoode
04-19-2005, 12:47 PM
I would say that it sickens me to see that situation for a 20 year old as well, but I think I'm just envious. :devil: If it was me, and my daddy would hook me up, I would ride the gravy train and follow the Pacers around the country too! (C'mon Dad, I KNOW you're reading this!!:D )

Doug
04-19-2005, 01:18 PM
When I had the time (no kids) to do things like fly to Pacer games, I did not have the money. Now that I make more money, I have no time.

I'm very happy that Sassan is blessed with both the freedom and the ability to take advantage of it.

Ragnar
04-19-2005, 01:18 PM
Hey Heywoode does your tivo have a usb port?

Mushmouth
04-19-2005, 01:20 PM
Why all the jealoulsy?

Dude might just be really good at his job too... of course, don't let that get in the way of the green-faced insults.

Los Angeles
04-19-2005, 01:21 PM
Uh, guys, come on. Yeah, OK, Sassan's doing alright, but he ain't the richest kid out here, not by a long shot. Not even close. He has an expensive hobby, but I've seen kids from Indiana blow WAY more money on golf.

Sassan actually works for a living UNLIKE the 1000's of trust fund kids I see driving Lamborghinis and hanging out at surf shops all day in the middle of the day.

If I were to have a kid, I'd be proud to help him in any way I can.

Now, as far as message board etiquette goes, rag on him all you want, but his personal business is just that - his personal business, and no business of ours.

Harmonica
04-19-2005, 01:39 PM
And yet fans put spoiled kids who make $100,000+ a game for putting a little ball in a basket on a pedestal. Sassan is hard-working and ambitious. I don't agree with nary a word he says, but he's an alright guy. And isn't that the intent when it comes to your kidsyou try to make their life a little easier by providing them with the things your parents couldn't afford when you were growing up?

diamonddave00
04-19-2005, 01:42 PM
I'll admit I'm envious that Sasson can spend $10,000 following the Pacers. My point was the article explained how he always seemed to be at games everywhere. I'd always wondered how a kid his age was able to do that, meaning fly here and there during the week and keep a job.

Obviously having your dad own the company you work for makes that a lot easier.

Harmonica
04-19-2005, 01:45 PM
I'll admit I'm envious that Sasson can spend $10,000 following the Pacers. My point was the article explained how he always seemed to be at games everywhere. I'd always wondered how a kid his age was able to do that, meaning fly here and there during the week and keep a job.

Obviously having your dad own the company you work for makes that a lot easier.

Eh, as Los Angeles pointed out, it's all relative.

Hicks
04-19-2005, 01:52 PM
Yeah, the Sassan bashing needs to stop. If you think his posts are bad or whatever, that's one thing, but we don't know the person behind the posts nearly enough to make such negative assumptions.

Stryder
04-19-2005, 01:55 PM
Seriously, though, I've only seen 2 or 3 negative posts about him at the most in this thread.

If I were in his position, I'd be in heaven (as I can probably safely say for all of us)...

Once again, I say good for him...

diamonddave00
04-19-2005, 02:07 PM
I never bashed him in this thread. I said I was envious of his ability to spend the money.

Wish I could to. I also said now I understand how he is able to do it. In no way was I bashing him.

RWB
04-19-2005, 02:30 PM
I wonder if Sassan is testing the Money Can't Buy You Love theory? I'll give the guy credit he is a fan.

If this was considered bashing Sassan, then I do apologize. However, in my world giving someone a $700 dollar pen is a little extreme. No jealousy here, rather I have more respect for Sassan going ape ***** about someone getting on Reggie's backside than this gift. Correct it's his business, however, I would think the Star didn't just pull this story out of their butts. Obviously Sassan had to let them know he loves Reggie so much he gave him a ($700 dollar pen).

_PD_
04-19-2005, 02:58 PM
What a nice article. And I think it was very complimentary of Sassan. I have new found respect for him. Here's a guy who is doing what he wants with his life and nobody can or should take that away from him. He's going to have many fond memories later in life and no regrets.
That said, I still don't want him back on this board.

Skaut_Ech
04-19-2005, 03:14 PM
What a nice article. And I think it was very complimentary of Sassan. I have new found respect for him. Here's a guy who is doing what he wants with his life and nobody can or should take that away from him. He's going to have many fond memories later in life and no regrets.
That said, I still don't want him back on this board.

Kinda like the daughter in Gastineau Girls or the boys in Growing up Gotti? :whistle:

MagicRat
04-19-2005, 03:31 PM
"Dad, in a million years, I would never give him a pen."

"I feel like crying... she gave me a pen. I gave her
my heart and she gave me a pen."

Ragnar
04-19-2005, 03:41 PM
If this was considered bashing Sassan, then I do apologize. However, in my world giving someone a $700 dollar pen is a little extreme. No jealousy here, rather I have more respect for Sassan going ape ***** about someone getting on Reggie's backside than this gift. Correct it's his business, however, I would think the Star didn't just pull this story out of their butts. Obviously Sassan had to let them know he loves Reggie so much he gave him a ($700 dollar pen).

I speak to Sassan quite a bit and I can tell you he did not get that pen for Reggie because he wanted to get in with him. He sincerely wanted to give Reggie a nice gift for all of the memories. Remember when he travels to a game he stays in the same hotel as the players and gets to see them each and every time.

He did not call the paper with the idea for the story. He may have been the reason Mark had the idea to do the story but he did not suggest it. Their were clearly a lot of people making the pilgrimage to see Reggie in his last season and thats a big part of the reason Sassan spent so much money this year. He knew it would be his last chance to see him. He is just a really big Reggie Miller fan.

RWB
04-19-2005, 04:22 PM
I speak to Sassan quite a bit and I can tell you he did not get that pen for Reggie because he wanted to get in with him. He sincerely wanted to give Reggie a nice gift for all of the memories. Remember when he travels to a game he stays in the same hotel as the players and gets to see them each and every time.

He did not call the paper with the idea for the story. He may have been the reason Mark had the idea to do the story but he did not suggest it. Their were clearly a lot of people making the pilgrimage to see Reggie in his last season and thats a big part of the reason Sassan spent so much money this year. He knew it would be his last chance to see him. He is just a really big Reggie Miller fan.

I believe every bit that Sassan is a big if not the biggest Reggie fan in the world. As others have stated spending $700 or more on a gift is his business, I really do agree with this. The story was on individuals who have spent a good amount of money to see one of their favorite people so no this is no fault of Sassan's. I guess personally I would have enjoyed the story more if it just said Sassan had went out his way to give Reggie a pen (no dollar amount) to let him know how much he was appreciated. Otherwise it once again looks like everything associated with professional basketball has to do with money (if that makes sense).

P.S. I do appreciate you passing along your and Sassan's feelings about this.

Ragnar
04-19-2005, 04:27 PM
I agee that Mark could have left out how much he spent on the pen. But I can tell you that Sassan did not give Mark that info for the story. Mark knew for another reason.

Eindar
04-19-2005, 05:36 PM
I think it's only jealousy if you rag on him for it. He got super lucky with who his dad is. My parents are middle-class, I'm middle-class, I consider myself lucky. I'm more concerned about Sassan developing as a person than I am how much disposable income he has. Being given a job and livelihood for life, and following a basketball team around for the year will result in little to no personal growth. I fear that he will end up 30, but like quite a few kids who had it too easy, will be underdeveloped in terms of maturity and ability to deal with problems.

ABADays
04-19-2005, 05:47 PM
I actually didn't mind Sassan. He was young so at times his posts were - uh "spirited". But you have to admit, doing what he is doing makes him a Walter Mitty to all of us.

I also miss Holick Lee posting. Wish I knew why he quit.

Harmonica
04-19-2005, 05:55 PM
I think it's only jealousy if you rag on him for it. He got super lucky with who his dad is. My parents are middle-class, I'm middle-class, I consider myself lucky. I'm more concerned about Sassan developing as a person than I am how much disposable income he has. Being given a job and livelihood for life, and following a basketball team around for the year will result in little to no personal growth. I fear that he will end up 30, but like quite a few kids who had it too easy, will be underdeveloped in terms of maturity and ability to deal with problems.

Um, he's 20. Far too much importance is placed on having kids figure out who they are and what they want to do for the rest of their lives while they're still in their early 20s. Besides, at least he's getting out of his own backyard and seeing the country. How many people here can say they traveled that much when they were his age? Ever see the movie Almost Famous? Cameron Crowe based that on his experiences following a band around for a summer when he was 15. You can tell it had a profound impact on him in terms on who he became.

Skaut_Ech
04-19-2005, 06:19 PM
Um, he's 20. Far too much importance is placed on having kids figure out who they are and what they want to do for the rest of their lives while they're still in their early 20s. Besides, at least he's getting out of his own backyard and seeing the country. How many people here can say they traveled that much when they were his age? Ever see the movie Almost Famous? Cameron Crowe based that on his experiences following a band around for a summer when he was 15. You can tell it had a profound impact on him in terms on who he became.

Not trying to be arguementative, but my thinking is the exact opposite of yours.

I think so little importance is put on kids when they're that young that we've seen a huge upswing in 20 somethings moving back in with their parents, letting mom and dad foot the bill for as much as possible in their lives, bouncing from job to job or in some cases being given a job in the family business or the place of employment of one of the parents and not being very responsible. Newsweek a few months ago had a really good article on it.

I don't quite get the Cameron Crowe analogy. For me, Cameron used his mind, ingenuity and his smarts to gain some lifelong experiences, not have rich dad hand him money and say "here, spend as much wherever and whenever you want" I think that's what probably affected how Crowe became who he was: using his mind to travel, not having someone essentially repeated hand him a airline and hotel ticket.

Like I say, I'm not trying to start an arguement, Just sharing a different perspective.

I mentioned the cable shows "Gastineau Girls" and "Growing up Gotti" earlier because I suspect some posters have probably seen those shows at least once and have probably based their image of Sassan on those youngsters who have everything handed to them. They don't seem to quite have the savvy of others their age, nor an appreciation for the experiences they have, which are given to them based upon their money. They all appear to be stunted in their maturity.

The appearance is given that Sassan is used to having his way, as sterotyprical rich kids do. (When someone disagrees with him on a forum, he either attacks or won't listen. I vieve he's the only person to get repeatedly kicked off both Pacers forums.) I bet if Sassan came across as a nice person, no one would begrudge him his fortunes, but given his history of name calling, attacks, close minded logic, etc, it's obvious that some remember that and so it's hard to be happy for someone based on such a personality perception.

Skaut_Ech
04-19-2005, 06:30 PM
As someone in that age group, and that situation, I'd have to say I agree completely with Harmonica and disagree completely with you. Not trying to start a fight, I just have a little bit of current personal experience here...

LOL...uh, yeah. Like you're going to say, "I agree. I need to be on my own and start deciding some direction in my life." Sorry, that struck me a little funny.

Skaut_Ech
04-19-2005, 06:48 PM
I do NEED to start deciding some direction in my life. But there shouldn't be some horrible emergency for me to plan the next 60 years of my life in the next 4 days.

Not at all. Not a "horrible emergency", but man the benefits can be worth it if you have a sense of urgency. Just letting you know my perspective. I was in my twenties when I had an idea of three things I wanted to do. Thanks to going about the business of going about my business, I started a job at 25 where I can retire in my mid-40s, draw a pension, and I'll be starting a new career in my forties that combines my other two loves. And because I got on the boat early, I've had money to travel all over the country every year.

My advice, not that you asked, figure out something you love to do, and work towards it not as a horrible emergency, but with a sense of urgency. I think part of the problem is that people are a little scared to take the time to figure out what they want to do or what they love to do, as if that locks them in for life, which it doesn't. So better to not make a decision, that way they're not responsible for making it happen.

Okay, have we effectively taken this thread way off track or what? :) :shakehead

ABADays
04-19-2005, 06:57 PM
I'm glad I'm old - been there done that.

Los Angeles
04-19-2005, 06:59 PM
It's amazing what people can accomplish when they become aware of the possibilities life offers them. Unfortunately, most of the country has been turned into one continuous stripmall lining another continuous ghetto. Growing up in that world, being unaware of the possibilities, I can't blame the younger generation for being relatively apathetic towards thier futures.

:twocents:

And by the way, I don't know Sassan at all, but if he's anything, the guy AIN'T apathetic.

Ragnar
04-19-2005, 07:00 PM
I don't quite get the Cameron Crowe analogy. For me, Cameron used his mind, ingenuity and his smarts to gain some lifelong experiences, not have rich dad hand him money and say "here, spend as much wherever and whenever you want" I think that's what probably affected how Crowe became who he was: using his mind to travel, not having someone essentially repeated hand him a airline and hotel ticket.

I think you are underestimating Sassan. He works for a living, just because his father owns the business does not mean he is simply handing money to Sassan. His job is straight commission if he makes any money he had to earn it. When I was 20 my parents owned a business and I was a salesman for them. I earned my income then and he is earning his now.

I probably have a little more insight into Sassan's job than most people do because I have the same job. I am self employed rather than working for someone else but otherwise we do the exact same thing. I have talked finance with him and he knows his stuff.

For someone like Sassan who does not have a wife and kids, lives at home and decides that the Pacers are his highest priority right now spending that much money is frankly not that big of a deal.

Dont sell him short thinking his rich dad is funding his travels. He works in a very lucrative field and can easily afford to do what he is doing on his own. He did not do this last year and the year before and he wont be doing it next year. He is doing it this year because his hero Reggie Millers is retiring.

Its ok to say man I wish I could do that, but to sit here and throw stones at him for following his team is wrong IMO. We are all a bunch of Pacer freaks ourselves and if I were a young single man I cant say I would not have gone to a few games with him.

P.S. no matter how good his dad is in finance if Sassan could not figure it out and had sales ability he would be unable to do his job. As expensive as lead generation is there is no way his dad would feed him business if he could no hold his own. So give the kid some credit for working at a job that takes some skill rather than working at McDonalds. (no offense if you work at McDonalds.

Los Angeles
04-19-2005, 07:06 PM
Good post, Ragnar.

TheSauceMaster
04-21-2005, 12:04 AM
Really the thing that made me upset about him was he always thought he was right and anyone who challenged him got put down , If I had a nickle for everytime he called someone not a real Pacer fan for there views I would be very rich. Honestly it was a nice gesture of his gift but really that doesn't make him the world's greatest Reggie fan. Sorry the amount you spend on something doesn't make you a bigger fan than anyone else who supports the Pacers. I'm sure if we all could have afforded a big shiney gift for Reggie he would get one from each and every Pacers fan.

Sassan is okay really but I don't think he socializes with people well , he needs to learn he's not always right and be able to let people voice their views as people give him the respect to hear his views. You get respect when you earn it , it swings both ways folks.

Harmonica
04-21-2005, 05:38 AM
Not trying to be arguementative, but my thinking is the exact opposite of yours.

I think so little importance is put on kids when they're that young that we've seen a huge upswing in 20 somethings moving back in with their parents, letting mom and dad foot the bill for as much as possible in their lives, bouncing from job to job or in some cases being given a job in the family business or the place of employment of one of the parents and not being very responsible. Newsweek a few months ago had a really good article on it.

Like I say, I'm not trying to start an arguement, Just sharing a different perspective.

I have friends (a married couple) who followed the Dead around for a year and they turned out okay. They didn't move back home with their parents in their late 20s. :shrug:

Your argument doesn't take into account increasing life spans and that people are productive a lot longer than they were even 30-40 years ago. My father just retired this past year as a school teacher at the age of 76 and only retired because of my mother's failing health, he could have easily taught another couple of years. And he didn't start teaching until he was in his late 40s. People change careers all the time now because we live longer and because the pressure to figure out what we're supposed to do for the "rest of our lives" at such an early age is so great. Ray Kroc didn't found McDonald's until he was in his 50s. Larry Clark didn't direct his first film (Kids) until he was 51.

No, I don't believe Sassan's year of following the Pacers is cause for concern. Nor would I be concerned if my children took time off from school to "figure it out." I dropped out of college for a year-and-a-half to do the same thing and didn't move back home with my parents in my late 20sI was married and on my own by then and starting my second "career."

Eindar
04-23-2005, 05:54 AM
I have friends (a married couple) who followed the Dead around for a year and they turned out okay. They didn't move back home with their parents in their late 20s. :shrug:

Your argument doesn't take into account increasing life spans and that people are productive a lot longer than they were even 30-40 years ago. My father just retired this past year as a school teacher at the age of 76 and only retired because of my mother's failing health, he could have easily taught another couple of years. And he didn't start teaching until he was in his late 40s. People change careers all the time now because we live longer and because the pressure to figure out what we're supposed to do for the "rest of our lives" at such an early age is so great. Ray Kroc didn't found McDonald's until he was in his 50s. Larry Clark didn't direct his first film (Kids) until he was 51.

No, I don't believe Sassan's year of following the Pacers is cause for concern. Nor would I be concerned if my children took time off from school to "figure it out." I dropped out of college for a year-and-a-half to do the same thing and didn't move back home with my parents in my late 20sI was married and on my own by then and starting my second "career."

I'm in the same age group as Btown and Sassan, and you can put me in the Skaut_Ech camp. My generation, as a whole, doesn't want to work. Hell, if I had the choice, I'd do nothing for the rest of my life and get paid, and be happy about it. The reason you see so many older people working is partially because there weren't nearly as many forms of hobby then, so they're bored, but also, because that's what you did when they were kids, you worked until you died. My generation isn't like that. Most of us would happily hang up whatever career we have now for a comfortable lifestyle where we could goof off for the rest of our lives.

That doesn't mean that's what I'm doing. I'm working my butt off, climbing the corporate ladder at FedEx one rung at a time. I know there's a brass ring up there, and I'm trying to snatch it.

As for Sassan, he's supposedly a Senior Loan Officer at age 20. Hey, he could be a GREAT financial analyst. However, I GUARANTEE you he couldn't make it into that position on his own, because other applicants would have just as much knowledge as him, with more experience. That's where daddy comes in, and why some on here have some angst. It's not that he doesn't know his business (I question how he has the neccessary knowledge and credentials to qualify for this job at his age, however), it's that he's had a leg up. There's also the possibility that his dad has him on the payroll with a fake job title, irregardless of his knowledge or ability. Regardless, bully for him, I digress.

Further, on Sassan, you can say all you want about him being good at what he does. You can say that his upbringing and this ability to drop everything and follow the Pacers around won't stunt his growth, but I say to you that his behavior and attitude on these boards indicates otherwise. It's just that sort of superior, inflammatory attitude that proves to me that he is the stereotype, not the exception.