PDA

View Full Version : So who's the best in the league right now?

Harddrive7
04-18-2005, 01:49 PM
Not recordwise but talentwise. Who's got both the best offense and defense? Is there one team that is well rounded in that repect?

Los Angeles
04-18-2005, 02:24 PM
I think the most talented team is San Antonio.

Just my :twocents:.

Kegboy
04-18-2005, 02:25 PM
When SA's healthy, they are, without a doubt. The motion they've installed this year, to go along with their D, is quite scary.

Fool
04-18-2005, 02:30 PM
Thats pretty much the universal consensus.

Unclebuck
04-18-2005, 03:18 PM
I think right now the Pistons might be the best team.

Mourning
04-18-2005, 03:26 PM
San Antonio, Detroit and Phoenix both are great teams. I don't know which team is the "best". I do think both the Pistons and the Spurs are the ones I would favour vs the Suns because they both have a lot of experience, know what it is to win a championship and have the strongest D in the league to look back on if things go wrong. Phoenix has decent D too, but without theire offense they have SERIOUS problems.

I see Dallas as a VERY dangerous outsider this year. Wonder what others here think about that. They have been going under the radar for quite sometime now. Also Denver, even though not very play-off hardened could be quite a dangerous opponent with their numerous bigmen and good chemistry at the moment.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

rabid
04-18-2005, 03:32 PM
Don't underestimate Miami. I see them at least making the Finals this year.

Mourning
04-18-2005, 03:38 PM
I still see the Pistons going to the Finals. Sure, Shaq will start getting 25-35 pts games almost every night and Wade too will be money, but against Detroit I don't see these 2 beying enough. True Rasual Butler and Damone Jones are good role players and Eddie Jones can, I'm sure, at times still be very dangerous, but I dunno ... Detroit is just better rounded in all aspects of the game to me and too boost there isn't an Indiana team even remotely close to full strength waiting and anticipating for revenge of last years lost ECF.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

efx
04-18-2005, 04:00 PM
The way the Pistons have been playing recently I think they are getting their stuff together at the right time. I don't think Miami is going to be able to take them.

Los Angeles
04-18-2005, 04:04 PM
The way the Pistons have been playing recently I think they are getting their stuff together at the right time. I don't think Miami is going to be able to take them.
IF they even need to.

:devil:

efx
04-18-2005, 04:14 PM
Very true ;)

Harmonica
04-18-2005, 04:28 PM
I think right now the Pistons might be the best team.

Agreed. I'd put my money on Detroit in a Pistons/Spurs finals.

Kstat
04-18-2005, 04:29 PM
The Spurs are the only team that really scares me. They've got quality players at every position, and they all defend like crazy.

Los Angeles
04-18-2005, 04:34 PM
Agreed. I'd put my money on Detroit in a Pistons/Spurs finals.
If I take my blue and gold glasses off, I think that would be a great Finals match-up, unlike the crappy match-ups we've seen in the finals lately.(Though I did enjoy watching the Lakers get handed thier ***es last year.)

Who would win? Too close to call for me, both teams have had shakeups this year.

BUT - a great cinderella story (I'll give you 2 guesses who I'm talking about) would be good entertainment, too.

Sorry to derail.

DisplacedKnick
04-18-2005, 04:43 PM
Back to the original question - what's talent? If we're talking pure athletic, play-making ability I think you can look at Chicago (with Curry), Denver and Phoenix. Washington might get in there too when Kwame's having a good day.

Obviously there are about half a dozen better teams than any of them except the Suns.

Talent-wise on defense is almost impossible to say because one of the main talents you need on that end is the ability to intensely focus on your man as well as your teammates.

I hope I'm understanding the question correctly. IMO, being talented isn't the same as being well-rounded and just because you have the best offensive talent you won't automatically have the best offense.

naptownmenace
04-18-2005, 04:46 PM
Denver.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned them but I wouldn't be surprised to see them come out of the West. Right now, I think they are the most talented team. If not they are at least the hottest.

We could see a potential upset in round 1 with the Nuggets beating the Spurs. If that happens, then yes the Nuggets will make it to the Finals.

naptownmenace
04-18-2005, 04:54 PM
BTW,

Denver is 24-3 since the All-Star break... which is the best in the entire league.

DEEman
04-18-2005, 04:55 PM
Denver.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned them
Mourning did ;)

Unclebuck
04-18-2005, 05:07 PM
Mavs finally have a coach who is forcing them to play defense and it is amazing the difference that makes. I've hated the Mavs for years, but sorta like them now because their defense is so much better. Dirk is even playing defense

What about Denver. They have only lost 3 games since the AS break

In the east only Heat and Pistons can makes the Finals

The west is more wide open.

naptownmenace
04-18-2005, 05:29 PM
Mourning did ;)

Touche'.

Well... he didn't point out all the cool stats like me. So there! :cool:

Chest Rockwell
04-18-2005, 07:16 PM
Dallas is looking very scary right now. They have so many weapons, especially with Stackhouse and Van Horn off the bench. This really comes in to play in the playoffs when teams start making adjustments. Nowitzki is playing out of his mind. They have a legitimate center in Dampier, which is something Phoenix or Seattle don't have. That could come in handy if they run into Miami in the finals. Because Bradley and Najera couldn't get it done in years past.

Duncan should return soon, but can he shake the rust off quickly enough to avoid an upset by Denver in the 1st round? I'd take my chances with Marcus Camby against a rusty, semi healthy Duncan....

SycamoreKen
04-18-2005, 07:32 PM
Camby is banged up as well, but the player that could make the difference for the Spurs is Mohammed. I'm not sure why the Knicks traded him, but he is turning into a beast for the Spurs. He, Duncan, and Massenberg should match up well with Denver's front line. If Rasho comes back, then they have depth at every spot. Robinson is even accepting coming off the bench. They are sort of like the Pacers in that every guy has experience due to injuries.

Arcadian
04-18-2005, 07:39 PM
If Duncan is in form and I think he will be I like the Spurs. Otherwise I like Detriot. Detriot definately has a nice route to the Finals. Suns, Nugs and Mavs all have to convience my that they can play playoff basketball before I believe in them. Miami I still feel is a player away from being in the class of the Spurs and Detriot.

pacerwaala
04-18-2005, 08:22 PM
i would put my money on Detroit to win it all. they just have too many weapons. damn!

San Antonio can beat Detroit because of the defense they play but Pistons just have more talent and a darn good coach

Jermaniac
04-18-2005, 08:27 PM
Pistons

Fool
04-18-2005, 08:37 PM
The only reason I don't buy Denver is that they still don't have anyone to hit the outside shot since Vishon got injured. Karl has gotten them a nice record preaching defense, transition buckets, and ball movement, but when the inside gets thicker in the playoffs there is no one to release it to on the outside for the Nuggets. It will also be interesting to see how they bounce back after their first big loss under Karl.

I do like the Mavs as they've become a better version of what I thought Houston would be at the start of the season. They have the offense, enough size, shooters, slashers a plenty, and an offensive crutch that is Dirk if the entire team is having an off night. They have the size to play relatively good D on anyone and the only real question mark is their coaching (Avery has done very well so far but a rookie coach in the playoffs is always a question mark).

canyoufeelit
04-18-2005, 08:40 PM
Denver has DeMarr Johnson (very underrated player from Cincinatti who had a horrific injury but is back now), Wesley Person, Boykins, Bryon Russell... all capable of hitting jumpers. Plus Andre Miller and Carmelo have been known to hit a few. I really like the Nuggets' motion offense.

Fool
04-18-2005, 09:20 PM
I'm sorry, I guess I should have been more specific. No one on Denver can hit a shot outside the arc. Midrange is great to have but none of them even want to shoot a 3 let alone make one (you could argue Person but he's only been there during this winning streak and he still only shoots like 2 a night)and with the defense able to sag off the line like that the midrange shots start getting hands in their faces. They are shooting 34% from three (which isn't terrible) but on 11 shots a night (thats less than 4 made a night). Coaching against them = let them prove they can beat you outside. With a cluttered middle the powerful but short Martin and the offensively handicapped Camby are less effective. They are playing well now, lets see if that lasts.

SoupIsGood
04-18-2005, 09:31 PM
I think Lenard was activated today.

Hicks
04-18-2005, 09:37 PM
http://www.nba.com/nuggets/news/nuggets_activate_lenard_0405.html

SjA3837
04-18-2005, 10:11 PM
Pacers