PDA

View Full Version : Pacers problematic for C's in playoffs (bostonherald.com)

drewdawg
04-18-2005, 10:53 AM
http://celtics.bostonherald.com/celtics/view.bg?articleid=78983

Pacers problematic for C's in playoffs
By Steve Bulpett/ Celtics Notebook
Monday, April 18, 2005 - Updated: 07:26 AM EST

TORONTO - Though there is still at least some mathematical possibility Washington could fall back into range or Philadelphia could move up, odds are the Celtics will be making another playoff trip to Indiana.

And forget about the false bravado - the Celts would rather avoid the Pacers.

``You've got to figure Indiana is going to be a tougher team to go against than Washington,'' said Paul Pierce [news], focusing on the Green's two most likely foes. ``They've got more experience in the playoffs, more veteran players, a great coach. Washington hasn't really been proven in the playoffs yet. They've shown they're talented and they've made the playoffs, but the playoffs is a whole different game. And for most of the guys on that team, this is their first time making the playoffs. Indiana knows what to expect. That could make them more dangerous than Washington.''

The Pacers have lost two straight, but they got Jermaine O'Neal back from his shoulder injury yesterday. However, they will still be without the suspended Ron Artest in the postseason.

What does that mean?

``Fewer bruises,'' Pierce said.

``They're still a difficult team even though he's probably their best player,'' he said of the Pacers and Artest. ``They're still tough. They're playing well. They're playing tough defense, and everybody knows that's what's going to win games in the playoffs. And then Reggie Miller . . . he's playing like he's back in his prime. That don't help.''

What would help the Celts is having the first two games of any first-round series in Boston.

``Really, I just want to get homecourt advantage,'' Pierce said. ``We've pretty much known these last couple of weeks we were going to play either Washington or Indiana. Our whole focus is just getting the homecourt on either one of them because both of them are good home teams. We don't want to go on the road for the first two games.''

Doc Rivers is keeping that in mind as he makes his plans for the remaining two regular season games. ``There's certain guys that I would like to get some rest for, but we've got to get homecourt,'' the Celts coach said. ``Especially if we play Indiana, homecourt is as important as anything we do.''

Anthem
04-18-2005, 11:14 AM
So... Pierce thinks Ron is the best player on our team...

DisplacedKnick
04-18-2005, 11:26 AM
So... Pierce thinks Ron is the best player on our team...

Yeah - not sure if that was so smart seeing as he won't play and Jackson and JO will.

OTOH, if a Pacer felt he had something to prove it could work the other way.

Unclebuck
04-18-2005, 12:43 PM
Interesting comments by Paul Pierce. You ever notice how often opposing players say the Pacers have a great coach or that they are well coached. You expect opposing coaches to say this, but for players to say it.

For the reasons PP stated, I did not want to play the Celtics. Pierce, Walker and Payton are playoff tested.

Mourning
04-18-2005, 01:31 PM
Yup! And this time no Artest around to defend/pull down shorts of Pierce.

I'm still not out if drawing Boston is a good thing. I wouldn't mind if we would have faced the Bulls or Wizards either.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Chest Rockwell
04-18-2005, 01:49 PM
Hey guys. This is my first post. I migrated over from the Indy Star board, where it was just too immature.

Is there anyone who doesn't think Artest is the best player on the team?

That being said, the return of Walker and the emergence of Ricky Davis, along with a playoff tested veteran PG make Boston a tougher playoff opponent than Washington or Chicago, IMO. To make matters worse, it looks like we're going to have to win one or more games in Boston to get past them.

I'm anxious to see how JO fits in during these last few games, since the Pacers have done very little post feeding over the past month. If he can get involved in the flow of the offense, JO will be the difference maker, especially if he can rebound like he did during last year's playoffs. If he stalls the offense by forcing his one on one post game, we won't survive the first round.

I love this board btw. The conversation is mature and intelligent.

Anthem
04-18-2005, 01:51 PM
If he hadn't said that, Ron would probably pull his shorts down next time they went against each other.

Wait, that's been done?

That was great. I watched that game on the Celtics feed... the first time they showed it, the Celts announcing crew was outraged. The thing was, they showed it again and again, and every time they loved it more. By the end of the game they couldn't say enough good things about Ron.

Reggie4Three
04-18-2005, 02:21 PM
Celtics are nothing to be worried about. If you know the Pacers, you know that if these Pacers play well they will beat Boston. We can't say the same thing about Chicago because they're too much of an unknown in the playoffs. Even without Curry and Deng, are you confident we can handle Hinrich, Gordon, Chandler and the rest of the bunch in a 7-game series. They play play-off style basketball all year. I think they're a tougher out even though I think we would probably beat them too.

Anthem
04-18-2005, 03:07 PM
Hey guys. This is my first post. I migrated over from the Indy Star board, where it was just too immature.

Ahh, definitions. What do you mean by "best?" Most talented? Most likely to have an impact? Most valuable? Most reliable? Biggest difference when he's not in the game? Some of these are Ron, some are Tinsley, but most are Jermaine. It's hard to judge, though, because we haven't seen Ron this year. And that's Ron's fault.

I'll say that Ron has the potential (if he can get his head screwed on straight) of being the best on the team. Next year he's due to wear Scottie Pippen's number, which could be great. If he had a sidekick mentality, he'd be the best sidekick in the history of the league. That's the best role for him, IMO, because as much as I love the guy I wouldn't (yet) trust him as the primary cog.

Good first post!

Mourning
04-18-2005, 03:29 PM

That being said, the return of Walker and the emergence of Ricky Davis, along with a playoff tested veteran PG make Boston a tougher playoff opponent than Washington or Chicago, IMO. To make matters worse, it looks like we're going to have to win one or more games in Boston to get past them.

I'm anxious to see how JO fits in during these last few games, since the Pacers have done very little post feeding over the past month. If he can get involved in the flow of the offense, JO will be the difference maker, especially if he can rebound like he did during last year's playoffs. If he stalls the offense by forcing his one on one post game, we won't survive the first round.

Welcome to NIRVANA!!! ;)

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Graywolf_59
04-18-2005, 03:32 PM
I don't care who we play.....we made the Playoff's after what this team went thru this year....just to make the Playoff's is a acomplishment in it's self!I got to see the Wizard's game on 4-8-05....got tx's for the final vs. the Bull's on 4-20-05......I Hope Uncle Reggie pull's out his Magic just 1 more time for us Pacer Faithfull this year!:censored: (It's ventage Miller time now :)):D
This year, both the Pacers and Pistons imploded in the early-season riot in Michigan, but Carlisle's team was devastated by the suspensions that followed. Since the NBA couldn't suspend the drunks and louts in the stands, Carlisle has coached all season without his best player, Ron Artest, and parts of it without almost everyone else. He has done one of the best jobs ever.:censored:

Hicks
04-18-2005, 03:34 PM

:welcome:

ABADays
04-18-2005, 06:22 PM
Celtics are nothing to be worried about.

You don't have any playoff experience either do you :devil:.

As for Pierce, the reason he said what he said about Ron is he's well aware Artest knows he chews Dentyne.

Anthem
04-18-2005, 06:36 PM
Its always good to see new faces.

Well, the white guy is Rik Smits and the black guy is Shaquille O'Neal. Neither one's new, although they may be new to you.

:flirt: