PDA

View Full Version : Harper returns to anchor young secondary

ImReppinBtown
04-15-2005, 02:25 PM
Unrestricted free agent Nick Harper, the senior member of the Indianapolis Colts young cornerback corps, has rejoined the team. Financial details of the two-year contract were not yet available.

Harper generated interest from other teams during the first six weeks of the free-agent signing period, but his intention was to remain with the Colts if at all possible.

The four-year veteran is the sixth unrestricted free agent to return to the Colts but the first on the defensive side of the ball.

Harper, 30, brings stability and clutch playmaking skills to a cornerback contingent that has plenty of promise but has been hindered by injuries the last few years. The team's three other cornerbacks -- second-year veterans Jason David and Von Hutchins and three-year veteran Joseph Jefferson -- have combined for only 15 starts.

Indianapolis also may address the cornerback position in the draft.

At 5-feet-10 and 182 pounds, the former Fort Valley State standout is a bit smaller than the ideal corner, but he plays bigger than his size and has some nastiness to him. He began his NFL career playing mostly as a nickel defender before moving into the starting lineup in 2003.

Harper was signed by the Colts as a free agent in 2001, after starting 18 games in the CFL the previous season. He started 27 games for the Colts the past two years. He led the team with four interceptions in 2003 and was second with three pickoffs last year. Overall, he has started 30 of his 59 career games, caught nine interceptions and defended 40 passes.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Netweeny
04-15-2005, 10:54 PM
I like the signing. He's a solid corner that if nothing else will help the depth.

Looks like the Colts will definately go LB/DL with the first 2 picks now. At least I hope so. :)

Natston
04-15-2005, 11:06 PM
Looks like the Colts will definately go LB/DL with the first 2 picks now. At least I hope so. :)

Tight End all the way !!!!!!! :)

Suaveness
04-16-2005, 11:04 AM
Bah....why did he have to come back?

Suaveness
04-18-2005, 12:11 AM
He's been learning the TE position in the off-season...

That would explain it...