PDA

View Full Version : HOLD THE PHONE - When Was the Last Time...

Los Angeles
04-15-2005, 11:45 AM
When was the last time BOTH the Knicks AND the Lakers missed the playoffs?

Can anyone remember off the top of thier heads?

(I knew I had this feeling of joy lately for a reason.) ;)

SoupIsGood
04-15-2005, 11:47 AM
I heard it on the telly a few days ago.... but no, I don't know.

Anthem
04-15-2005, 12:23 PM
Probably never since the Lakers have been from LA.

3Ball
04-15-2005, 01:10 PM
It's like Star Wars Episode VII Revenge of Nobody in Particular
Who do you cheer against? Other than whomever the Pacers are playing

Los Angeles
04-15-2005, 01:46 PM
OK - I did this the hard way, and found some VERY interesting stats.

In the 59 year history (including this year) of the NBA, either the Minneapolis/LA Lakers and/or the New York Knickerbockers have been in the NBA championship FINALS 32 times. That's right, the number of years that a championship series did not have either team is a whopping 27 times. Shocking.

Next up: How many times did BOTH teams actually MISS the playoffs (including this year)?

Three. That's it. Here's a run-down:

1958 - The NBA had 8 teams divided into two 4-team divisions, 3 teams from each division played in the playoffs. Both New York and Minnesota finished last, missing the playoffs altogether.

1976 - The NBA had two 9-team conferences. NY finished last in the 4-team Atlantic with a 38-44 record, while the Los Angeles Lakers finished 40-42 ranking fourth in the 5-team Pacific.

and of course 2005 - The Lakers choose Bryant over Shaq. And New York ... well ... :shakehead

Me so happy. :D

Anthem
04-15-2005, 01:57 PM
It's like Star Wars Episode VII Revenge of Nobody in Particular
Who do you cheer against? Other than whomever the Pacers are playing

I'll cheer against Detroit, Chicago, and Miami (in that order) in the East. In the West, I care a bit less. I don't like Sacto, because I don't like Sacto. I don't like Memphis, because I don't like Jerry West. I don't like Pheonix, because they're a media darling. But those are just mild gut reactions... nothing compared to teams like LA, NY, and Detroit.

Los Angeles
04-15-2005, 02:19 PM
More info:

Even though well over 50% of NBA Finals have featured the Knicks OR the Lakers, they have only played each other in the finals 5 times:

1952 - Minneapolis defeats the Knickerbockers 4-3
1953 - Minneapolis again on top, 4-1
1970 - New York tops LA, 4-3
1972 - LA over NY, 4-1
1973 - New York over LA, 4-1

By comparison, the Lakers and Celtics have taken each other on in the finals 10 times.

(BTW, I'm open to fact checking, it is possible that I may have missed something.)

ChicagoJ
04-15-2005, 02:26 PM
The issue is that, of the combined 32 appearances you mentioned, the Lakers have (I think) 25 of them. The Knicks rarely got past the Celtics, or either Philly team, or Chicago.

Los Angeles
04-15-2005, 02:37 PM
The issue is that, of the combined 32 appearances you mentioned, the Lakers have (I think) 25 of them. The Knicks rarely got past the Celtics, or either Philly team, or Chicago.
True, I've checked, and on first count, the Knicks have been in the Finals 8 times, 5 of those times have been against the Lakers.

The Lakers have been in the Finals 28 times? Now the math isn't working out.

I think the count is 31 years, not 32 years. :/

Los Angeles
04-15-2005, 02:43 PM
The even bigger issue is this: The two largest media markets in the country, which happen to also be the two cities responsible for producing well over 90% of american entertainment, have no real reason to tune in to the NBA playoffs this year.

I can feel the panic in NBA corporate offices all the way from Venice Beach. :devil:

Anthem
04-15-2005, 04:00 PM
They're both blue states, though. We've shown that you can conquer the country without winning the coast. ;)

3Ball
04-15-2005, 04:25 PM
The South done rose agin.

And Atlanta still got sacked.

Los Angeles
04-15-2005, 04:33 PM
I grew up in Indiana, and always thought it was a northern state. Maybe they just teach with funny maps there. ;)

ChicagoJ
04-15-2005, 04:40 PM
I grew up in Indiana, and always thought it was a northern state. Maybe they just teach with funny maps there. ;)

Once I moved to Chicago, I learned the Mason-Dixon line is really I-80. So I guess Indiana *is* mostly a southern state. :D

Los Angeles
04-15-2005, 04:43 PM
Once I moved to Chicago, I learned the Mason-Dixon line is really I-80. So I guess Indiana *is* mostly a southern state. :D
When I lived in Chicago, I learned that anything south of 95th street was "Southern" Illinois. :D