PDA

View Full Version : Agent 'Spikes' talk of Lebron to Knicks

Will Galen
04-14-2005, 03:35 AM
http://nypost.com/sports/knicks/23133.htm

AGENT 'SPIKES' TALK OF LEBRON TO KNICKS
By MARC BERMAN

April 13, 2005 -- Superagent Aaron Goodwin admits he is good friends with Knicks superfan Spike Lee. But Goodwin says Lee might be barking up the wrong tree if he thinks his client LeBron James will be steered by Nike to become the Knicks' savior.
There's speculation James, whose Cavs face the pitiful Knicks tomorrow at Gund Arena, will force a trade at season's end. He will not become a free agent until the summer of 2007, since the Cavs have already exercised the fourth-year option on his rookie contract.

In a despicable Knick showing last night at the Garden, NASCAR's Jeff Gordon watched from celebrity row another second-half car wreck as they blew a 16-point lead at intermission, fell, 105-93, to the rotten Raptors, getting booed off the court.

Last week in The Post, Lee, who's well known for his own Nike commercials, suggested James' $102 million Nike contract offers a bump if he plays for the Knicks, dreaming he can wind up at the Garden.

With reports James is already unhappy in Cleveland following the ownership change, the Cavaliers brass was not pleased with Spike's chirping. The filmmaker was quoted as saying, "There's no guarantee LeBron is going back to Cleveland."

Goodwin would neither confirm nor deny if James has a Knick-related sneaker contract clause but told The Post, "When you have a contract like that, you look for every edge, every angle."

Goodwin says reports of James' desire to leave Cleveland stemming partly from Paul Silas' firing and their slide has been exaggerated.

Asked about the chances of James winding up a Knick, Goodwin said, "I'll never predict what can happen in the future, but at this point he wants to bring a championship to Cleveland and has no intention of leaving. He has full confidence the new owner [Dan Gilbert] will do everything he can to build a winning team. He will not think of going anywhere else until that goal is exhausted."

James attempted to clear the air, saying in Tuesday's Ohio papers, "The fans in the city of Cleveland have nothing to worry about at this point. I'm here."

Goodwin believes the shoe giant is extremely happy with James' marketability. In another seminal moment in the 20-year-old's career, Time Magazine this week voted him as one of the top 100 influential people in the world.

"I don't think Nike needs him in New York," Goodwin added. "He's world wide, whether LeBron is playing in New York or Timbukto."

When James is free, Goodwin would have to force the Cavaliers into a sign-and-trade with the Knicks or settle for the $5 million mid-level exception, hoping Nike makes up the difference.

Cactus Jax
04-14-2005, 04:12 AM
Typical NY bullcrap.

What are they going to offer, Kurt Thomas??? Or maybe even the savior Marbury.

If James ABSOLUTELY demanded a trade I think every team in the league would be in line but I think a team that offered a star and a couple role palyers would win out like Memphis or Denver.

Imagine James being traded for Anthony, lol, and you know Denver would do that plus Nene in a heartbeat.

Will Galen
04-14-2005, 04:54 AM
Other than JO, I would give them any two Pacers.

JO straight up? . . . Hmmm, let me call you back.

Mourning
04-14-2005, 06:42 AM
Well at the very least the Knicks should be dropped from the list of franchises from people who want to trade Artest. Figure Artest AND James on ONE team and with more than enough salary to give to several other big bucks players!!! Scary :uhoh:.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

ABADays
04-14-2005, 08:58 AM
Oh dear, what would become of LeBron's mommy?

beast23
04-14-2005, 11:20 AM
No way in hell he gets traded on a rookie contract. Not enough value in return.

And one of the 100 most influential people in the world? That's a joke, right?

Since86
04-14-2005, 03:28 PM
Other than JO, I would give them any two Pacers.

JO straight up? . . . Hmmm, let me call you back.

Not packing Artest with Tins or Sjax then I'm with you.

Since86
04-14-2005, 03:55 PM
If Lebron seriously became available, the only guy who I would deem "untradable" would be JO

I'm not saying I wouldn't trade Ron, I'm saying I wouldn't trade Ron/Tins or Ron/Sjax together. I think that gives up too much of the Pacer's punch for just one player. Ron/Bender ( :laugh: ) I'd ship away in a heart beat.

Eindar
04-14-2005, 04:18 PM
I'd trade any 2 Pacers for Lebron. Yes, even JO and Artest.

Since86
04-14-2005, 04:24 PM
I'd trade any 2 Pacers for Lebron. Yes, even JO and Artest.

Why? Look at what the team accomplished last year, then at what they did this year even with everything. Trading your best two players, top 5 in the league at their positions, for one player would result in a flip. Cavs would be in the Pacers position, and the Pacers would be a struggling team with no interior offensive game......

wintermute
04-14-2005, 04:51 PM
depends on how good you think lebron is/will be. personally i would trade jo straight up, or any other combination of pacers. as miami proved this year, getting a single dominant player makes all the difference, the holes in the lineup fill themselves somehow, some way. the pacers have shown themselves to be geniuses at filling holes in the lineup, btw.

as another aside, pacers accomplished most of what they did this year WITHOUT artest or jo, so getting lebron into the mix can only be a plus :p

Sollozzo
04-14-2005, 06:09 PM
Not packing Artest with Tins or Sjax then I'm with you.

Players like Tins and Sjax are a dime a dozen.

If you ever had the opprotunity to get Lebron James, you give up anyone you have to.

beast23
04-14-2005, 07:10 PM
Lebron is no Shaq.

What he might bring to your team is in no way comparable to what Shaq could/does bring. Therefore, his potential contributions do not warrant giving up what a GM might consider giving up for Shaq.

You just don't do that for any perimeter player not named Michael.

And don't even go there. Lebron doesn't come close to carrying Jordan's jock.

Cactus Jax
04-14-2005, 07:40 PM
Yeah he's not Jordan but he's the best guard in the league; yes better than Kobe. The guy does things nobody else does I mean the guy is averaging 27, 7, and 7 a game from a shooting guard.

I'd trade JO straight up along with cap space, or I'd also trade Artest, Tinsley, Fred Jones, JJ, Harrison, whoever really to get James. It gives a positive spin and publicity to the team as well. Just imagine:

AJ/or any free agent PG
Lebron/ draft pick or fa
Jackson/JJ
JO/Cro
DD/Foster

The offensive and defensive capability of that team would be insane. Having Lebron on the floor is like having an extra PG out there who can also score 30-40 in his sleep.

Anthem
04-14-2005, 08:20 PM
I agree I'd trade any 3 guys not named Jermaine. I'm not sure I'd trade Jermaine, though. And I doubt there's a person on our team that the Cavs would touch in return for LaBron.

The kid is completely untradeable, and he'll finish his career with the Cavs.

Sollozzo
04-14-2005, 08:54 PM
He'll finish his career with the Cavs if he decides to re-sign there in 2007.

There's obviously no way in hell they trade him.

Will Galen
04-14-2005, 10:25 PM
He'll finish his career with the Cavs if he decides to re-sign there in 2007.

There's obviously no way in hell they trade him.

There's obviously no way they trade him if it's their choice. If they make a bunch of moves he doesn't like and he becomes fed up with them, he could force a trade. Then they would have to trade him to get something back.

I would say there's only a 5% chance of that happening though. The Cleveland frachise know's he's the next great player so they will do everything they can to please him. I don't think the new owner started off very well though, he could be worse than Ted Stapian (sp?).

Right now Lebron is under contract for a couple more years so nothing is likely to happen for at least a year and a half. That's plenty of time for the new owner to get his act together.

KING JAMES
04-15-2005, 12:39 PM
hey guys

honestly as a pacers and cavs fan i thought i would chime in on this.

i don't think lebron is going anywhere, he has said numerous times that the only way he is leaving the cavs is if "THEY TRADE HIM". he even used reggie miller along with jordan, olajuwon, david robinson, isiah,stockton n malone, as well as todays players like iverson and garnett for examples.
although it was a while ago and before all these new york and chicago newspapers came out with rumors. he said that those guys above are the examples of how he wants his career to play out.

he also used marbury and mcgrady as examples of how all the moving around is not for him.

take your team to the playoffs, get over the hump and play for, and win a championship for 1 organization. he admits it will take some time- but it will happen.

now i know malone, hakeem, and jordan went else where in the later stages of their careers (but i get the point "the king" was making)

hopefully he's as loyal as reggie is.

Since86
04-15-2005, 02:28 PM
Yeah he's not Jordan but he's the best guard in the league; yes better than Kobe. The guy does things nobody else does I mean the guy is averaging 27, 7, and 7 a game from a shooting guard.

So is AI, from what I've heard around here, I doubt going after him as well would go over real smooth. He has to average those numbers to even make his team compete. Kobe is averaging right under that as well and look at his team.

I'd trade JO straight up along with cap space, or I'd also trade Artest, Tinsley, Fred Jones, JJ, Harrison, whoever really to get James. It gives a positive spin and publicity to the team as well. Just imagine:

AJ/or any free agent PG
Lebron/ draft pick or fa
Jackson/JJ
JO/Cro
DD/Foster.

I'm glad you're not DW.

The offensive and defensive capability of that team would be insane. Having Lebron on the floor is like having an extra PG out there who can also score 30-40 in his sleep.

So you trade JO and Ron to get 27 7 and 7? They get that combined plus better D, because they can guard two men. You can also leave one in while the other rests, whereas you just have LBJ and when he's out, he's out. Why trade away the nucleus of a very competitive team for the title? That doesn't make any sense.

ChicagoJ
04-15-2005, 02:41 PM
How have the Cavs already 'extended' his rookie deal? Is that even allowed this early?

Clearly, they're going to do that. But you don't exercise options early. What if he gets hurt?

Marc Berman's usually better than this... this is almost like something Sam Smith would pull out of his @$$.

Los Angeles
04-15-2005, 03:02 PM
How have the Cavs already 'extended' his rookie deal? Is that even allowed this early?

Clearly, they're going to do that. But you don't exercise options early. What if he gets hurt?

Marc Berman's usually better than this... this is almost like something Sam Smith would pull out of his @$$.
I think his rookie deal had a last year team "option." The Cavs have already taken that option. This isn't the same as an extension, where a re-negotiation happens in the middle of a still active contract. There was no renegotiation in this case, though this out-of-left-field rumor suggests that Lebron will attempt one like Shaq did a few years ago.

DisplacedKnick
04-15-2005, 04:14 PM
I think his rookie deal had a last year team "option." The Cavs have already taken that option. This isn't the same as an extension, where a re-negotiation happens in the middle of a still active contract. There was no renegotiation in this case, though this out-of-left-field rumor suggests that Lebron will attempt one like Shaq did a few years ago.

All rookie scale contracts have a 4th-year option. The only possible way for the Cavs to renegotiate would be if they hadn't exercised the option and allowed Lebron to become a restricted FA after his third year. There's no way they take that kind of chance - it already bit them in the @ss with Boozer (situation was a little different but it's the same principal).

After next season look for Cleveland to sign Lebron to a max extension, whatever that ends up being under the new CBA. If they don't, then Lebron wants to test the FA market after his 4th season which would be a very bad sign for the Cavs.

Los Angeles
04-15-2005, 04:31 PM
All rookie scale contracts have a 4th-year option. The only possible way for the Cavs to renegotiate would be if they hadn't exercised the option and allowed Lebron to become a restricted FA after his third year. There's no way they take that kind of chance - it already bit them in the @ss with Boozer (situation was a little different but it's the same principal).

After next season look for Cleveland to sign Lebron to a max extension, whatever that ends up being under the new CBA. If they don't, then Lebron wants to test the FA market after his 4th season which would be a very bad sign for the Cavs.
Agreed.

Speaking from the player's perspective, sometimes players play the "extend me now or I won't ever sign with you if I go F.A." card. If memory serves, that's what Shaq was pulling during the "Now you gonna pay me?!" tirade in the pre-season a couple of years ago. Which is a situation that I think this rumor was getting to. Then again, just about everything in this rumour makes no sense whatsoever. :confused:

ChicagoJ
04-15-2005, 04:38 PM

Sorry, sloppy wording. I know the difference... :cool:

Regardless, there is still a limited window in which the teams can exercise the options on rookie contracts, and I'm not really sure its open yet.