PDA

View Full Version : Can the Pacers stop Carter?

Harddrive7
04-13-2005, 08:47 AM
Seems like a simple question but this guy has been tearing us up of late. How do we stop him? What do we try differently that we haven't tried before? Do we simply play him tighter without the ball, take him out of his comfort zone if there's a such thing?

We clinch tonight if we shut Vince down. How important is this game?

Hicks
04-13-2005, 08:51 AM
If there were Toronto Vince, you just take away the drive as much as possible and let him jack up bad shots. Now he takes better shots, and hits more regardless of quality, and is more aggressive on the drive. This is a guy Artest would be great for, but um, he's not here. Soooo, what I expect Rick/Mike will do, is give him mulitple looks. You'll see him guarded by Jack, Reggie, Fred, and James Jones throughout the game most likely, with an emphasis on the team D helping out when he drives. Beyond that, just keep him in front of you as well as possible. Nothing fancy.

hoopsforlife
04-13-2005, 09:43 AM
Think Tanya Harding. :) :(

Unclebuck
04-13-2005, 09:52 AM
The biggest problem the Pacers have had is when he posts up. So Jax is going to have to guard him the whole game. Fred is too short and Reggie can't guard him.

You could send a quick double in the post, or a double when he puts the ball on the floor. And pray he is missing his jump shots.

In the past the best way to defend him is to be really physical with him, just beat up up, but our guy who can do that is not available

Harddrive7
04-13-2005, 10:00 AM
So clog up the middle and take your chances on the jump shot where he is probably even more dangerous. Double edged sword indeed. Well we could always go with the old theory, let him get his and keep everyone else down.

I think that this is going to be a very good game.

DisplacedKnick
04-13-2005, 10:08 AM
Stephen's a pretty good defender so I'd do what all good defenders do against great offensive players. Take away one or two of the things he does and ask your team defense to help you with the rest. Frex, maybe you shade to his right to turn him left and play him close so you take away his outside shot and make sure temamates are aware so when he goes left they rotate over. Or maybe you back off him and dare him to beat you from outside (which he can do).

Spend too much time worrying about him and Kidd or even Krstic can kill you - don't worry so much about him that you turn someone else into an all-star for a night.

And be ready to go zone sometimes and switch up your defense.

Some guys you can't stop - you just try to contain them. Sometimes even that doesn't work but it's the best chance.

dipperdunk
04-13-2005, 07:05 PM
How important is this game?

Very important so the Pacers better win tonight. :D

TheHotShot31
04-13-2005, 07:07 PM
Wizards play the Bulls tonight. So this is a must win if we want to get home court in the first round.

ImReppinBtown
04-13-2005, 07:11 PM
Good question. I think he will do it to us again. I mean he hsa been unstoppable. He's becoming a great player. Now that he drives the ball to the hoop.

Anthem
04-14-2005, 12:00 AM
Like that!

beast23
04-14-2005, 12:11 AM
I personally don't think we have to worry about Carter. We don't have to worry about NJ the rest of the season, and next year we just put Artest on him.

SoupIsGood
04-14-2005, 12:21 AM
Like that!

Yes, I did like it.