PDA

View Full Version : 24 seconds with Larry Bird

Will Galen
04-12-2005, 03:31 AM
http://www.indystar.com/articles/5/236184-6515-179.html

24 seconds with Larry Bird
April 12, 2005

Indiana Pacers president Larry Bird spends a lot of time during the season scouting. He's been to Europe twice this winter, has attended more college games than he can count and went to Portsmouth, Va., for last week's pre-draft camp. Bird talks about his missions, and what he looks for when evaluating talent.

"I enjoy it. I thought I wouldn't like it when I got back in (the organization), but it's necessary for me to get out there. When I've got somebody I want to see, I just go. But I like to watch tape before I go out and see the kids. That way you have a feel for their teammates and how they play.

"At Portsmouth, you're looking for your second-round pick, but maybe somebody will slide up to the first round. If it's going to be a second-round pick, I look for guys who can help us in practice and might be able to help us later.

"I like going to Europe better. In Portsmouth there's three games a day. After the third day you go back and write down your notes and go, 'Whoa!' There's so many of them. If you don't take notes, you can't remember them all. It just keeps coming at you. In Europe you're going to see one or two guys and there's only one game a day.

"It's a lot tougher for me over there (because of his fame). You wouldn't believe it. The security is better here. Some of these countries, if they know you're coming in, it can get out of control. Autographs aren't as big over there as they are here, but they clap and holler a lot. The press is a lot more aggressive than here, too. It's interesting. I can't say I love it, but I do love their game. They have a 40-minute game and a great flow to it. And they don't have TV timeouts.

"I'm not big on individual workouts. I bring them in to interview and talk to them more than watch them work out. I don't think you can tell as much about a player in an individual workout. It's like me . . . if you had taken me out there, I wouldn't have been able to jump and I wouldn't have had the quickness running around the cones. But you stand out there and shoot, it's a whole different game.

"Some guys can have the best individual workouts but they get in a game and can't play a lick. You just never know. That's why it's better to see them in competition. It's like with Jeff Foster. I was amazed by his individual workouts. The two days we had him here, he didn't miss a shot. He doesn't shoot that well now, but you knew he was going to be a good player because of his size and the way he got up and down the floor."

-- Mark Montieth

stew
04-12-2005, 09:41 AM
http://www.indystar.com/articles/5/236184-6515-179.html

24 seconds with Larry Bird
April 12, 2005

"I'm not big on individual workouts. I bring them in to interview and talk to them more than watch them work out. I don't think you can tell as much about a player in an individual workout. It's like me . . . if you had taken me out there, I wouldn't have been able to jump and I wouldn't have had the quickness running around the cones. But you stand out there and shoot, it's a whole different game.

"Some guys can have the best individual workouts but they get in a game and can't play a lick. You just never know. That's why it's better to see them in competition. It's like with Jeff Foster. I was amazed by his individual workouts. The two days we had him here, he didn't miss a shot. He doesn't shoot that well now, but you knew he was going to be a good player because of his size and the way he got up and down the floor."

-- Mark Montieth

am I reading this right? it seems like Bird regrets drafting Jeff foster..

first, he said "Some guys can have the best individual workouts but they get in a game and can't play a lick. You just never know."

then he follows with "It's like with Jeff Foster. I was amazed by his individual workouts. The two days we had him here, he didn't miss a shot. He doesn't shoot that well now, ..."

Netweeny
04-12-2005, 10:14 AM
I kinda got the impression that he meant Jeff was kind of a "mixed bag". Not necessarily that it was a bad draft pick. I think he was just pointing out that workout performance doesn't translate to game performance with Jeff's shooting as an example.

When I read it, I kept thinking of Bender.

Peck
04-12-2005, 10:23 AM
Two points of irony here.

1. I thought that what was meant by the title of the article was that they would spend the entire work day of L.B as head of basketball operations, which is probably about 24 seconds. :-p

2. If it weren't for individual workouts the Pacers probably would not have selected Dale Davis. I remember reading Walsh say that they ran Dale so hard during his tryouts that he ran over to a trash can & threw up. But what impressed them was that just as soon as he threw up he ran right back on the floor & said "let's go". Walsh said he knew right then that he wanted him on his team.

As an additional thought. Could you imagine Bender in the same situation? If he could get to the point where he needed to throw up (without pulling, stretching or straining something) I can only imagine that there would be a cot involved right afterwards.

DisplacedKnick
04-12-2005, 10:30 AM
am I reading this right? it seems like Bird regrets drafting Jeff foster..

first, he said "Some guys can have the best individual workouts but they get in a game and can't play a lick. You just never know."

then he follows with "It's like with Jeff Foster. I was amazed by his individual workouts. The two days we had him here, he didn't miss a shot. He doesn't shoot that well now, ..."

Yeah - I kind of sensed that too though he finishes with a compliment. Pretty much seemed to be saying, "Foster's workouts fooled me and he can't do some things in games I thought he could but it ended up OK anyway."

Unclebuck
04-12-2005, 10:36 AM
I think LB and DW will usually go for the tough guy. I wonder if Artest was brought in for a workout

I'll never forget when DW came to the podium to announce the selection of Dale Davis. he was fired up, never seen him that fired up before that moment or since then.

Doug in CO
04-12-2005, 11:24 AM
Will is back - no need to have to spend the 2 second it takes to go to Indy Star...whew

3ptmiller
04-12-2005, 12:52 PM
Yea! I have seen him here in Sweden in my town, (you gota be really desperate if you gona search talent in Sweden).. He is everywhere, Magic Johnson was here to.. heck! He even played basketball in Sweden remember? Thats wicked.. Shame they didnt see me! :)