PDA

View Full Version : OT - Attention Indianapolis Geeks

Anthem
04-12-2005, 02:49 AM
So... I was at Fry's this weekend. For those that don't know, Fry's is a West Coast chain that is to Best Buy what Best Buy is to Radio Shack.

I bought a new external HD enclosure this weekend for about 40 bucks... it'll hook up through firewire 400 or USB2.0, and it has a bunch of rubber dampers to cut noise and vibration. It's quieter than the drive in my desktop box, and it's just all-around nice to have an extra 120 gig external drive.

So as I'm checking out, the guy asks if I'm interested in a Fry's card. "No thanks," I say. "I'm about to move to the midwest." "Oh, no problem then," says the nice man. "We're getting ready to open a store in Indianapolis, and we'll open two next year in Cincinnatti." From what he was saying it sounded like the Indy Fry's would be open by Christmas.

This is just a warning. Start saving your money now.

Bball
04-12-2005, 02:59 AM
So... I was at Fry's this weekend. For those that don't know, Fry's is a West Coast chain that is to Best Buy what Best Buy is to Radio Shack.

I bought a new external HD enclosure this weekend for about 40 bucks... it'll hook up through firewire 400 or USB2.0, and it has a bunch of rubber dampers to cut noise and vibration. It's quieter than the drive in my desktop box, and it's just all-around nice to have an extra 120 gig external drive.

So as I'm checking out, the guy asks if I'm interested in a Fry's card. "No thanks," I say. "I'm about to move to the midwest." "Oh, no problem then," says the nice man. "We're getting ready to open a store in Indianapolis, and we'll open two next year in Cincinnatti." From what he was saying it sounded like the Indy Fry's would be open by Christmas.

This is just a warning. Start saving your money now.

Hmmm.. Somebody should tell the Indy store to lock its doors and call off the full page Grand Opening ads they've been running.

IOW.... it's already open. :D

-Bball

Anthem
04-12-2005, 03:07 AM
Well... fat lot I know, then.

Still a pretty cool store.

DisplacedKnick
04-12-2005, 07:55 AM
Yeh - I don't know Fisher's that well though - where exactly is it? Guess I could use mapquest or something - the map that came up didn't help me any - without 69 & 37 as a frame of ref I'm lost.

MagicRat
04-12-2005, 08:41 AM
Yeh - I don't know Fisher's that well though - where exactly is it? Guess I could use mapquest or something - the map that came up didn't help me any - without 69 & 37 as a frame of ref I'm lost.

It's in the old Incredible Universe building, just off of I- 69 at 96th Street.......

Unclebuck
04-12-2005, 08:44 AM
Take 96th street exit off of I-69, go east, turn left at first light, follow that back and you can't miss it.

I stopped by on Saturday. It is huge. You could spend a whole day there. I was talking to one of the employees, and he said they have over 300 people working there. I don't know if the prices are better than Best Buy or not

Question: maybe 10-15 years ago when that building was first built wasn't there some type of electronics store there for maybe 8 monhts or so. Or am I dreaming. I know it was some car superstore in the past also.

Ragnar
04-12-2005, 09:58 AM
Yes UB there was an electronics store there. (and I dont even live in Indy) They had a wierd system. You sort of logged in when you went to the store but then you did not have to keep your reciept because they kept the info of what you purchased. My brothger thought it was very cool but then it went out of business pretty quick.

Unclebuck
04-12-2005, 10:23 AM
Yes UB there was an electronics store there. (and I dont even live in Indy) They had a wierd system. You sort of logged in when you went to the store but then you did not have to keep your reciept because they kept the info of what you purchased. My brothger thought it was very cool but then it went out of business pretty quick.

OK, so I'm not crazy. I walked in there when they first opened and was so confused I walked right back out. Wasn't that back in the "Highland Electronics" days

Doug
04-12-2005, 10:33 AM
I was there on Saturday. Dang, the places is just huge. 66 registers at checkout.

I really wanted to get the external 160 G HD for $59 after rebate. Except I've got dual internal 120's now and I'm not using all that space. Ended up with a couple of things I needed - (keyboard, 30 ft. subwoofer cable, 512M memory) and a couple of things I didn't (free after rebate UPS).

I went back Sunday. Another keyboard, cable ties, $25 external harddrive enclosure with $25 rebate.

Heck, I almost stopped in on Monday night.

ChicagoJ
04-12-2005, 10:36 AM
OK, so I'm not crazy. I walked in there when they first opened and was so confused I walked right back out. Wasn't that back in the "Highland Electronics" days

I think so...

Incredible Universe was early-90s I think, I swear I remember stopping there to/ from Upland a few times.

I liked Highland, it was so easy to talk them into selling stuff at absurdly low prices. Of course, they probably went out-of-business for the same reason.

MagicRat
04-12-2005, 10:41 AM
UB must have me on ignore.

It was called Incredible Universe. It was owned by Radio Shack, so you could find all of your standard RS gadgets, plus any other electronic thing you could think of. I spent a lot of time roaming around in there. Sounds like Frye's is very similar.

I'll probably wander in there pretty soon......

Spicoli
04-12-2005, 11:09 AM
Don't take it personally MR . . . 91.8% of the Digest has you on iggy. :ninja:

Your own son even tries to ignore you, but he just ends up :puke: all the time.

Unclebuck
04-12-2005, 11:13 AM
Oh wait I think it was called "Incredible World" or something.

No, no make that Incredible Universe. I knew I'd think of it.

No MagicRat, I don't have you on ignore, I saw your post about Incredible Univere, but I did not put two and two together

I think what killed IU (wow that's wierd) is it seemed ike a fun place to go, but maybe too much of a hassle to buy anything

Suaveness
04-12-2005, 11:53 AM
:laugh: I totally remember Incredible Universe...that wasn't there very long.

So am I to assume that this Fry place is good (silly I don't know, I live 5 min away:-p ) ?

Anthem
04-12-2005, 12:19 PM
Well, the deals you're getting at the grand opening won't stay forever.

But they have awesome deals every weekend, and any major event also gets a major sale.

If you're patient, you can get whatever it is you're looking for at a great price. Plus their return policies are very reasonable. I've bought gear, found out it didn't perform like I thought it would, and returned it without a hitch. A lot of electronics stores have restock policies or stuff like that. Not here.

Los Angeles
04-12-2005, 12:24 PM
I live and die by Fry's out here. Every componenet. Every part. Everything for casual users to professional repairmen is at Fry's.

:rockon:

DisplacedKnick
04-12-2005, 12:28 PM
I think so...

Incredible Universe was early-90s I think, I swear I remember stopping there to/ from Upland a few times.

That's why I don't remember it. The early 90's was long, long ago and I was living far, far away.

dannyboy
04-12-2005, 12:34 PM
The Fry's down the street from me has a better kite selection than most hobby stores......

I've been told that they also do a good job of building affordable computers that are customized to the desired specifications of the customer.

...Fry's is a West Coast chain that is to Best Buy what Best Buy is to Radio Shack. :laugh:

MagicRat
04-12-2005, 12:42 PM
That's why I don't remember it. The early 90's was long, long ago and I was living far, far away.

I'm going to guess it was there from '95 - '97.......

TheSauceMaster
04-13-2005, 02:07 PM
I'm going to guess it was there from '95 - '97.......

You would be correct , I worked at Increciable Universe. The thing that killed it was they grew to fast they were spending money like water building new stores to fast and a few locations just flopped and dragged the company down. The Indy store was very profitable and we always had good numbers and was always in the top 3 outta all the stores they had. I know Fry's bought alot of the old Incrediable Universe buildings and converted them. Probably the only place I could ever say I enjoyed going to work everyday.

kerosene
04-13-2005, 04:55 PM
Yeah, Fry's is pretty fun. It's like going to the hardware store and checking out tools if you're a geek instead of DIY home improvement guy. Keep an eye out for full page ads in the newpaper, that's where you see some really good deals. They reel you in with the ads.

EDIT - I've seen Incredible Universe trucks being used at various Fry's around here before. That explains things, I knew there wasn't an Incredible Universe nearby.

gilpdawg
04-13-2005, 11:20 PM
You would be correct , I worked at Increciable Universe. The thing that killed it was they grew to fast they were spending money like water building new stores to fast and a few locations just flopped and dragged the company down. The Indy store was very profitable and we always had good numbers and was always in the top 3 outta all the stores they had. I know Fry's bought alot of the old Incrediable Universe buildings and converted them. Probably the only place I could ever say I enjoyed going to work everyday.
I remember when Incredible Universe was there. I made the hour drive there several times. I'll have to make a trip over to check out Fry's. Maybe when I'm in town for a show at Deer Creek or something. I've never been to a Fry's but I've heard a lot of people on the satellite radio boards say good things.

Kegboy
04-14-2005, 12:29 AM

He's right. They grew WAY to fast and didn't have the supply chain in place to support the stores. I hated that Best Buy had had new models of computers for months before we ever got them.

What department did you work in Sauce? I worked in Computer Hardware the summer of '96 and then over Christmas as well. My last couple weeks there were awful, considering corporate ran ads saying "Out of Business Sale" in the Star, even though it didn't apply to our store. A million people must have come in looking to buy display items and we kept having to tell them no.

Besides that, it was a cool place to work. I was always jealous of the software guys, though. All they did was stand around and play games all day long. :shakehead

TheSauceMaster
04-14-2005, 04:47 AM
He's right. They grew WAY to fast and didn't have the supply chain in place to support the stores. I hated that Best Buy had had new models of computers for months before we ever got them.

What department did you work in Sauce? I worked in Computer Hardware the summer of '96 and then over Christmas as well. My last couple weeks there were awful, considering corporate ran ads saying "Out of Business Sale" in the Star, even though it didn't apply to our store. A million people must have come in looking to buy display items and we kept having to tell them no.

Besides that, it was a cool place to work. I was always jealous of the software guys, though. All they did was stand around and play games all day long. :shakehead

I worked in the Warehouse. Chances are I probably know who you are :-p