PDA

View Full Version : Poor Austin..

RWB
04-11-2005, 04:58 PM
Caught the last part of the Sports Reporters on ESPN Sunday and noted this blurb that came out of left field. One of the talking heads (think it was Lupica) was talking about Terrell Owens wanting to renegotiate his contract or he'll holdout on the Eagles. This is not quote for quote but he said something like "for a star like Terrell to make less than someone like a Austin Croshere can you blame him for not wanting more money". Wow talk about getting slapped. :blush:

Will Galen
04-11-2005, 05:16 PM
Poor Austin isn't poor, and if he could start regularly he would average close to a double double. So either way he's not poor.

I should be so poor! (grin)

Natston
04-11-2005, 05:22 PM
Poor Austin should just opt out of that unconscionable contract and sign back with us for a 'better' contract.

Unclebuck
04-11-2005, 05:38 PM
I'm glad the Pacers fans don't blame Croshere for the amount of $$ he makes. In fact this is a very interesting question. You know in a lot of cities Cro would be booed constantly because he has for whatever reason never lived up to his contract. In Indy Croshere is one of the most popular Pacer players. In Philly, Boston, NY he would be boed

Will Galen
04-11-2005, 05:38 PM
Poor Austin should just opt out of that unconscionable contract and sign back with us for a 'better' contract.

Sure! Like you would do that! (grin)

Natston
04-11-2005, 05:44 PM
Sure! Like you would do that! (grin)

It would depend on how much money of the rookie contract, and the original part of the current contract I spent, and how much my new deal would garner...

:-p

Jermaniac
04-11-2005, 05:58 PM
If Cro played in Philly or New York, the man would be the most unpopular player there.

Anthem
04-11-2005, 06:05 PM
If Cro played in Philly or New York, the man would be the most unpopular player there.

But if he played in Boston or Utah, he'd have shrines on every corner.

:devil:

Kstat
04-11-2005, 06:06 PM
seemed like he was the most popular pacer next to reggie when I was there last year.....there were more #44 jerseys in Conseco than anybody else....

grace
04-11-2005, 06:23 PM
For some reason none of the fans blame him for the big contract. I suppose most people feel it was management's brain fart to give him so much money after one good playoff series.

As for how well he's liked I remember the last game of the season a few years ago. He didn't start and when he was put into the game everyone gave him a big ovation. Kegboy didn't understand why. I told him the fans were giving him a nice send off because we all thought it was going to be his last game as a Pacer.

SjA3837
04-11-2005, 06:27 PM
Austin, will prove this playoffs why he's getting paid so much... just wait

:rolleyes: Ok, maybe not. But I'm willing to bet he'll be a big reason for success come playoff time.

circlecitysportsfan
04-11-2005, 06:30 PM
I'm glad the Pacers fans don't blame Croshere for the amount of $$ he makes. In fact this is a very interesting question. You know in a lot of cities Cro would be booed constantly because he has for whatever reason never lived up to his contract. In Indy Croshere is one of the most popular Pacer players. In Philly, Boston, NY he would be boed

I always wondered why he was so popular. And i always wondered why Hoiberg got a louder ovation than Jalen when they both came off the bench.

Anthem
04-11-2005, 06:56 PM
I always wondered why he was so popular. And i always wondered why Hoiberg got a louder ovation than Jalen when they both came off the bench.

There's a thread in the politics section you might like... It's at the top right now.

:devil:

ABADays
04-11-2005, 07:24 PM

I do that all the time when I think my employer is paying me too much - or that any raise is too much.

Stryder
04-11-2005, 07:39 PM
Don't blame Croshere.

I look up and respect anyone that can make that much money while doing something he/she loves to do.

DisplacedKnick
04-11-2005, 08:46 PM

I dunno - Knick fans don't generally boo Houston and he's pretty badly overpaid. They'll boo pretty quick if they think someone isn't giving effort.

JYD's contract's nearly as large as Austin's and he's not much (if any) better of a player - hard to compare because they're so different - and he never gets booed.

dipperdunk
04-11-2005, 09:11 PM
I don't think we would boo Croshere if he was in Philly because he plays hard and usually gives a good effort. Also when given the opportunity he usually plays pretty good he was just nudged out of the starting lineup by a star player in JO and wasn't demoted so to speak. He also seems to step up in the postseason.

If a player is giving his best effort we wouldn't boo him because he is overpaid. Van Horn was making 12 million per season and had a playoff game where he scored 1 point in 42 minutes of play but he wasn't booed because he played hard and did other things to help the team win with effort. Eric Snow was making 6 million per season and had a playoff series against Boston and he shot about 13-65 in the 5 games and was never booed because of his effort/character.

Guys with talent who underachieve/are overpaid/don't give effort/complain or make excuses like Shawn Bradley,Big Dog get crucified in Philly. The guy on the Pacers who might get criticized in Philly would probably be Bender.

beast23
04-11-2005, 09:59 PM
Croshere has been a strange bird.

He plays like gangbusters when he starts. Yet for whatever reason, psychological I presume, has a hard time make similar contributions when coming off the bench.

If Croshere were a starter playing 35 minutes a game, I agree that he probably would average 14-15 ppg close to 10 rpg. And even at over $8M per year, hardly anyone would have a problem with that.

Unfortunately, he is a starter due to circumstances only, and would not start with all players healthy and available.

But at what salary would folks be perfectly happy with Croshere and his situation? $4M? $5M?

We can wonder about Croshere opting out... which he would never do by the way. But what if Croshere said he would tear up his contract... if and only if the Pacers would supply him with a longer contract of 5 years.

Considering that Croshere would be ripping up a contract that would have paid him $19M over two years, how much would you be willing to pay Croshere for those 5 years? $30M (or avg $6M per year)?

Will Galen
04-11-2005, 10:06 PM
Cro isn't going to opt out especially if he likes it here. As is he's really hard to trade, so why would he make it easier to be traded?

pacerwaala
04-11-2005, 10:09 PM
Crosher is overpaid agreed but Jalen getting the max is a highway robbery. You have to look at everything - the constant pouting, crying to the refs, breaking plays, etc, etc.

Austin for all his shortcomings is a team player who does not complain and is not full of himself. He worked hard and cashed in. Obviously it has not worked out in favor of the Pacers organization but I am glad Austin has not been a cancer. (that sounds odd too!)

Bball
04-11-2005, 11:59 PM
Croshere's breakout season will be next year. Just wait and see.

What? Oh.... that's Bender's breakout season...

Nevermind.... :devil:

-Bball

Evan_The_Dude
04-12-2005, 01:52 PM
Unlike T.O. at least Austin can shut up and play the damn game.

Doug
04-12-2005, 02:42 PM
People like Austin because he plays hard and "does the little things". Same reason people like Dale. Or for that matter the same reason Woody is one of the more popular Pacers ever.

People tend to identify with "hustle players". Players that they (rightly or wrongly) assume are using extra effort to overcome lesser talent.

Also, people like to support and cheer for the underdog. It's part of that whole Hoosiers mentality. I always have a soft spot for players like Hoiberg, James Jones, Mark Pope, Siggy - 2nd round picks trying to make a living in the NBA.

A-Train
04-12-2005, 03:11 PM
seemed like he was the most popular pacer next to reggie when I was there last year.....there were more #44 jerseys in Conseco than anybody else....

It might be that people feel safe spending the money on a Croshere jersey because they know he isn't going anywhere.

:smartass:

Anthem
04-12-2005, 10:25 PM
People like Austin because he plays hard and "does the little things". Same reason people like Dale. Or for that matter the same reason Woody is one of the more popular Pacers ever.

People tend to identify with "hustle players". Players that they (rightly or wrongly) assume are using extra effort to overcome lesser talent.

Austin2000 was a hustle player. Austin2005 was a hustle player. The Austins in between thought they were shooters.

Unclebuck
04-12-2005, 10:32 PM

Also, people like to support and cheer for the underdog. It's part of that whole Hoosiers mentality. I always have a soft spot for players like Hoiberg, James Jones, Mark Pope, Siggy - 2nd round picks trying to make a living in the NBA.

Ok, I agree with you. But then why is Jeff Foster not as popular as Croshere. ( I base that on the crowds reaction when they come into the game)

Anthem
04-12-2005, 10:35 PM
Ok, I agree with you. But then why is Jeff Foster not as popular as Croshere. ( I base that on the crowds reaction when they come into the game)

Cause chicks dig the long ball.

Doug
04-12-2005, 10:56 PM

Got me. Probably more of the "underdog" thing. Jeff starts (usually). Austin has had multiple DNP-CDs in the past. Or maybe Anthem has it right. :-)

Unclebuck
04-12-2005, 11:13 PM
For whatever reason, I do think females think Croshere is cute, I base that on what they tell me. Maybe next season when he is bald on top the cheering won't be so loud.

Spicoli
04-12-2005, 11:33 PM
Females.

and Btown.....

SycamoreKen
04-12-2005, 11:55 PM
Unlike T.O. at least Austin can shut up and play the damn game.

I'd send Roy Williams of the Cowboys a check to help cover money lost during his suspension if he would lay a nice one on TO next season. Nothing life threatening, just a wake up call. If I was Philly I would trade him to Arizona for a 7th round pick.

ABADays
04-13-2005, 08:17 AM
For whatever reason, I do think females think Croshere is cute, I base that on what they tell me. Maybe next season when he is bald on top the cheering won't be so loud.

With his money he could have a whole new head of hair by next season.