PDA

View Full Version : Fire Sales this summer

Jose Slaughter
04-11-2005, 01:51 AM
The way things are headed there might be several teams ready to blow up their rosters & start again.

Toronto, Cleveland, New York, Minnesota & maybe even the Lakers might be doing more than tweaking thier lineups.

Do you see a player on a troubled team that could fit into our system?

Don't go nuts with the Bosh, James, KG or Kobe trade ideas either, as a matter of fact don't even go there cause it won't happen.

Maybe a minor trade or someones unwanted free agent.

Anthem
04-11-2005, 02:06 AM
Well, nobody on the Knicks.

Is it too soon to say Marshall? He's a UFA after this season, but it'd be easier to go after him in an S&T. In my dream world, we trade Croshere to the Rockets for Spoon/Baker (both expiring contracts) and maybe a #2 pick. We then immediately trade Spoon to the Raptors, along with a future pick, for Marshall. We can cut Baker immediately, unless we need the contract to buffer a trade.

Seems like a no-brainer to me. Croshere, who's a quality starter next to a good big man, gets a chance for the minutes he deserves. He'll never play to his potential behind Jermaine; it's established fact that he doesn't play as well coming off the bench. In return, we get a player that can give us everything Cro does, plus slightly better defense and the ability to play small forward (something Cro has lacked since 2000), for less money. Plus, by using Spoon's contract, we can offer slightly more than the mid-level exception, which means we'd be first on the list (as I can't imagine any team with significant cap room is going to pursue Marshall as their top option). I'd bet a couple of teams will throw the midlevel at him, but we can edge them out, along with the opportunity to play and contribute on a true contender.

At this point, I'd trade Bender for any expriring contract, especially if they threw in a draft pick. I still think the kid's got a future in the league, but he doesn't have a place here. He needs a Jermaine-type trade to become the player he can be.

That's honestly about all I'd do. The starting spots (Dale/JO/Artest/Jax/Tinsley) are perfect, and the backups (Pollard/Foster/Marshall/Freddie/AJ) look pretty good too. There's always the third string, but other than that I don't know. We already have a solid center and small forward, and we'll go for "best available player" in the draft. I'd like to pick up a new third-string point guard, in case Tinsley goes down again. That's probably a better FA or trade pickup, as I don't know that anyone we draft this year will be ready to step in if needed.

Maybe we should trade for a new set of team physicians?

Unclebuck
04-11-2005, 08:52 AM
I'm not good at or spend any time at putting togethr possible trades.

But I have a thought. After seeing how well Vince Carter and Baron Davis have played since being traded (when they either did not play or played horribly prior to being traded) I suggest we look for player who wants to be traded and is dogging it for his current team.

I really don't want any trades at all

wintermute
04-11-2005, 09:46 AM
if i had a say i'd look to trade cro also, for the reasons anthem outlined above. however, i don't think the rockets will bite - they probably want someone more like dale davis playing with yao.

superstars who want out? obvious one is jason kidd. nets will probably ask for tinsley at least (tinsley & cro perhaps?), and kidd is not getting younger, so it will have to be win now for the pacers.

Doug
04-11-2005, 10:08 AM
Odom can play SF, right? Artest+Foster for Odom works. If we are going to trade Artest, this gives us pretty good value in return. I seem to remember that we were targeting Odom in the draft where we ended up with Bender.

Anthem
04-11-2005, 10:26 AM
Odom can play SF, right? Artest+Foster for Odom works. If we are going to trade Artest, this gives us pretty good value in return. I seem to remember that we were targeting Odom in the draft where we ended up with Bender.

If we were going to trade Artest, that's a trade I would like.

DisplacedKnick
04-11-2005, 11:11 AM
Knicks won't have a fire sale.

For that to happen, Isiah would have to admit that he was wrong.

Though if you're looking for big-time cap space, you could do worse than TT for Artest and Bender or Croshere. :D

Anthem
04-11-2005, 11:44 AM
Though if you're looking for big-time cap space, you could do worse than TT for Artest and Bender or Croshere. :D

Bender and Croshere for Tim Thomas? Could be... throw in this year's draft pick and we'll call it a deal.

Will Galen
04-11-2005, 01:46 PM
Bender and Croshere for Tim Thomas? Could be... throw in this year's draft pick and we'll call it a deal.

Have I ever told you I'm glad you're not the Pacer's GM?

Anthem
04-11-2005, 03:29 PM
Have I ever told you I'm glad you're not the Pacer's GM?

You wouldn't trade two overpaid third-string players that aren't part of the future of the franchise for what could be the first overall pick in the 2005 draft?

:shakehead

Will Galen
04-11-2005, 04:12 PM
You wouldn't trade two overpaid third-string players that aren't part of the future of the franchise for what could be the first overall pick in the 2005 draft?

:shakehead

One, neither is third string. Cro is 2nd, and Bender is zilch.

Two, you don't know that they aren't part of Bird's future plans. Bird was the one behind the draft of Cro, and the fact that the Pacers are still holding on to Bender at least partially disproves this assumption.

Three, could be the the first pick! That's a really remote possibility. Most likely the pick would be from 9 to 11. Then we would have to pay the guy to sit on the bench.

In short, no I wouldn't do that. I would try to keep the team as is with the probable exception of replacing Edwards with our draft pick.

Anthem
04-11-2005, 04:57 PM
One, neither is third string. Cro is 2nd, and Bender is zilch.

Cro is our 2nd string when Jermaine's out with an injury. When JO comes back, Cro will move to third string.

And the Knicks currently own the 7th pick, but are within striking distance of a better one. It would have helped if we'd won last night, but still. A top-3 or top-5 pick isn't at all out of the question.

Doug
04-11-2005, 05:03 PM
Bender is zilch.

Damn straight!

RWB
04-11-2005, 05:12 PM
Bender is not zilch gentlemen. :mad:

Just today he was helping me find the correct cartridge for my deskjet at Office Max. Did I mention Jon works there full time now? :o

Spicoli
04-11-2005, 05:13 PM
Why are you guys always so hard on Jon Bender?

In my opinion, he was the best character in The Breakfast Club. :twocents:

:confused:

Will Galen
04-11-2005, 05:34 PM
For clarification, when I said Bender was zilch I meant he wasn't active on the Pacers depth charts, he was beyond third string. Whether he will ever be worth the money he makes is still an open question.

Most want to get rid of him, but I'm for holding on to him. Our depth is such that hanging on to him isn't hurting us so I see no reason not to.

Now if a deal came up where adding him to a trade would give us a starter I would be for it. However trading him for another player that would just add to our logjam of people who can play and want to be part of the rotation. . . no I don't want to do that.

Doug
04-11-2005, 05:55 PM
For clarification, when I said Bender was zilch I meant he wasn't active on the Pacers depth charts, he was beyond third string.

I know, but it was more fun to take your quote out of context. :-)

I think at ths point Bender has zero trade value. We are stuck with him.

Anthem
04-11-2005, 06:00 PM
I think at this point Bender has zero trade value. We are stuck with him.

Same's true of Croshere. That's why a trade of both of them for salary cap space and a good lottery pick seemed like a no-brainer.

Those two together make 16mil next year. We could use our full midlevel exception for the next 3 years (bringing in 3 players as good as Jax) for less than that.

grace
04-11-2005, 06:16 PM
Do you see a player on a troubled team that could fit into our system?

Do you mean our system where everyone gets along, stays healthy, and lives a straight and narrow life off the court or our system where Ron Artest will never be given the benefit of the doubt, Jax is well on his way to being the next Ron Artest, and no one can stay healthy?

Forgive the negativity, but I just got done reading Jay's rant in another thread.

beast23
04-11-2005, 10:22 PM
Bender and Croshere both have value.

Croshere has very decent value, IF he ever learns to contribute off the bench anywhere near the level that he contributes as a starter.

But the real value that the Pacers realize from both will not occur until the 2006-2007 season, when both will be in the last year of their contracts. At that time, each would be attractive in possible trade packages. Similar to the status Pollard will have next season.