PDA

View Full Version : Just this Once Permit Me

DisplacedKnick
04-10-2005, 08:59 PM
to gloat.

This is pretty sad but it's probably the best NBA moment I've had in over 4 years. How's that for pathetic? I can't tell you when the last time was that I walked out of Conseco after a Knick win. Five years? Six? Been a while.

Best game, most complete game we've played in a LOOONNNGGG time - maybe since we beat you in NY this year.

Our defense wasn't great - we didn't check your shooters WAAAAYYY too often (mostly Crawford) but by our standards it wasn't bad. Marbury really played Reggie tough, despite all the points. When he was on him he crawled inside his shirt, which Reggie's never cared for.

Speaking of Marbury, that was as good of a game as I could ever ask from a PG (other than the 4th quarter pass to nobody and his grinning about it). His shot wasn't going but he sure fed everyone else. Nothing spectacular - just hit the open man but that's 90% of being a PG right there.

We're lucky Crawford was hitting his 3's. Every time he went up for one I said, "Don't DO that" and then give a little talk to the guy next to me. That cracked him up eventually but what he did with those two drives at the end is what he should do all the time. He has as good of a crossover as anyone I've seen since Hardaway.

The other play that got my neighbor was when KT was posting and (I think) Foster was fronting him. He's calling for the ball and I'm saying, "Don't do that - that never works, don't ..." Then Dale blocked it. I turned to him to say something and he was cracking up.

I thought we'd lost twice. When you guys went up 3 in regulation I saw that play develop and I'm thinking, WTF? A KT 3 just wasn't what I was looking for. And when you went up 6 in the OT I was sure it was done.

Sweetney went from exhausted slob to active, physical player as if he had a three minute schedule to keep. I was sure he was done in the middle of the 3rd. I HOPE he gets his conditioning straight this summer. If he does he'll be a very solid player. If he doesn't he'll be Tractor Traylor. Or Oliver Miller. Plus all those missed FT's.

I don't know where that team's been all season - they ran their offense, played hard (if not always well) on D, the guards didn't start freelancing ... That's not the New York Knicks I've been watching.

A note on the refs. Why the he1l would you not call moving screens all day, then call two in a row (one on each team) right at the end of the game? If you want to cut down on moving screens, call 'em in the first 5 minutes - not OT.

BTW - went to put on my Knick t-shirt before leaving and it was too small - must've shrunk. ;) My only jersey has 33 on it. Figured I'd buy one on the way in - couldn't find it at about five places and finally found one in Lafayette Square. Gotta say there was less Knick clothing today than I've ever seen. Counted 4 - 3 as I came in and got my seat and one leaving. Don't believe anyone in my section (16) was wearing. Kind of disappointing.

Oh well - it's a small victory but I'll take it since that's all there is for Knick fans. And there's something gratifiying about walking out of Conseco, someone sees what you're wearing and yells, "Knicks Suck!" and you can just yell back, "Scoreboard." I don't think folks in my section appreciated my yelling "Brick!" at Reggie during those two FT's at the end of regulation (lotta good that did - doubt it could even reach anyway). They'll get over it.

Unclebuck
04-10-2005, 09:02 PM
Knicks played very well today. Too bad the can't play like this more often

DisplacedKnick
04-10-2005, 09:06 PM
Knicks played very well today. Too bad the can't play like this more often

Well, they could, they just don't. Though again, even though he hit them, I don't like all those Crawford 3's. He's just not a 3 pt shooter. Didn't miss TT at all though.

ReggieMiller8325
04-10-2005, 09:07 PM
Ah lucky win.

DisplacedKnick
04-10-2005, 09:08 PM
BTW UB - what happened to Jackson that play? I didn't catch it with the ball going back - just saw him huddled on the floor and they didn't replay it on the monitor.

Probably can check the game thread to find out.

Unclebuck
04-10-2005, 09:09 PM
BTW UB - what happened to Jackson that play? I didn't catch it with the ball going back - just saw him huddled on the floor and they didn't replay it on the monitor.

Probably can check the game thread to find out.

Pollard hit him in the head.

What was funny, is when Jax came back to the bench, Pollard said he was sorry

Lord Helmet
04-10-2005, 09:09 PM
Yeah, they were hitting about every shot they took. We HAD the game, but, we blew it. Good game, besides the scoreboard. ;)

Lord Helmet
04-10-2005, 09:11 PM
Pollard hit in the head.

I didn't see that; was he being very serious? Or was it like "Sorry bra" ?

DisplacedKnick
04-10-2005, 09:15 PM
I didn't see that; was he being very serious? Or was it like "Sorry bra" ?

Well, after he'd been on the floor a couple of minutes Pollard was the only Pacer who came over. I saw him saying something - thought maybe he was offering medical advice.

Bball
04-10-2005, 09:18 PM
:banned:

-Bball

PacerFan31
04-10-2005, 09:18 PM
Pollard hit him in the head.

I seriously for some reason can't wait for Pollard to get out of here, hopefully this offseason, i dont know why and it bugs me, i feel i should like him since hes in blue and gold but he just irritates me :mad:

Will Galen
04-10-2005, 10:11 PM
I seriously for some reason can't wait for Pollard to get out of here, hopefully this offseason, i dont know why and it bugs me, i feel i should like him since hes in blue and gold but he just irritates me :mad:

That's odd because almost everyone likes Pollard!

ABADays
04-10-2005, 10:13 PM
If it was anyone other than you DisplacedKnick :whip2:

For every action, PacerFan31, there is an equal and opposite reaction :einstein:
I love Scot Pollard and am happy as hell he is here.

ABADays
04-10-2005, 10:30 PM
No doubt, Freddie's had a tough couple of games.

DisplacedKnick
04-10-2005, 10:37 PM
The only reason the outcome really surprised me is that I could really see just how poorly the Knicks players react to adversity during the 4th quarter. Their body language was horrible, they were about to murder Jamal Crawford, and they were either screaming at each other or ignoring each other the entire time. But the officials managed to find a way to take the game out of our hands. It's too bad Fred Jones was the best player on the court for the Knicks tonight, the Pacers could have used any kind of effort out of him.

Really? You must have been watching a different game from what I was because I didn't see that. They certainly didn't act like they did, say, about halfway through the game in NY last week.

As for the refs, they're irrelevant. Granted, Rose was getting hammered inside and couldn't get a call, they called a charge one time when Reggie undercut our guy and JYD had an over-the-back call that was completely bogus but I always figured that crying about the refs equals one thing - sore loser with a weak mentality.

brichard
04-10-2005, 10:39 PM
Congrats Rim.

Hey, I've been meaning to ask you about Tim Thomas. I must admit that I was very high on him when he was with Milwaukee. Everytime we played the Bucks it seemed like he filled it up. I was sure when he got more minutes he would really blossom.

Was I on crack, or did he do a Croshere-like regression?

DisplacedKnick
04-10-2005, 10:48 PM
Congrats Rim.

Hey, I've been meaning to ask you about Tim Thomas. I must admit that I was very high on him when he was with Milwaukee. Everytime we played the Bucks it seemed like he filled it up. I was sure when he got more minutes he would really blossom.

Was I on crack, or did he do a Croshere-like regression?

He just doesn't bring it. The first half of the season he was horrible. It's been passed off as family-related - his sister and (I think) mother dies within a few weeks of each other.

The second half he's been more normal - a nice player if he's making 5 million. And Herb set the offense up so he posts up more. But he still doesn't defend.

Kegboy
04-10-2005, 10:52 PM
In regards to the gloating, I'd say you deserve the chance, considering what you've had to go through this year. IMO, we played like **** and didn't deserve to win, so I'm glad somebody got to enjoy the game.

DisplacedKnick
04-10-2005, 10:58 PM
I wasn't watching the game on TV, and I had a slightly better view of what they were doing/saying from my seats. They just looked bewildered and like they didn't give a crap about each other once the Pacers made a run to tie the game part way through the 4th.

Who said you were watching the game on TV? Evidently you weren't watching it much at all. Teams that don't give a crap with about 4 minutes left generally don't win. In fact they generally get rolled over by about 10.

Hey, I managed to go through your post and not try to insult you. Guess I should read it again. Thanks though.

You're welcome. Next time don't pull complete and utter bull***** out of your @ss. They were frustrated for a couple of minutes, right around when Marbury got the T, but they didn't quit defending, didn't quit running their sets - in fact, one of the most notable things about this game was how much more mentally resilient they were than they were last Tuesday when they DID give up - very early.

SoupIsGood
04-10-2005, 11:02 PM
Great post, Rim/Knick/Fire/Placement. I was beginning to worry about you, this is the first post I've seen where you got fired up about the Knicks. Good to know the Doom and Gloom hasn't got the best of you.

DisplacedKnick
04-10-2005, 11:05 PM
3) Mike Sweetney is an embarrasment to professional athletes who actually care about their bodies. Kid could be a hell of a player if he could turn some of that mid-section into arm and leg muscle.

I'm hoping that he's at the same stage Tinsley was in his second year where chicken fingers was his pre-game meal of choice - he just hasn't figured out yet that in today's game you need to do everything you can - all the time, including the offseason - to stay fit.

This is his first year of getting real minutes. If he feels as worn out as he looks during games then he should go out and get a dietitcian, get a cook to prep his meals, work on his cardio, etc.

We'll see. As I said in my previous post, it's his choice whether he wants to be an impact player or Tractor Traylor. He has the game to be a 15-10 guy.

DisplacedKnick
04-10-2005, 11:14 PM
I definitely agree, and for your sake hope he "figures out".

I'd seen him on TV a number of times, but it's just incredible how much fatter he is than anyone else on the court. He uses it to his advantage at times, but he really needs to change his body shape if he wants to be the kind of player he "could" be.

IMO you're right though it's possible he can't jump even when he's thin (never seen him thin so I don't know for sure). But even if that's true (it was for Barkley) his cardio isn't up to snuff. Today he'd go hard a few minutes, then suck wind and lag for a few more. I was surprised Herb left him in as much as he did - with about 5 minutes gone in the 3rd I thought he was done - flat-footed on D and lagging gettting up and down the court.

Of course even if the weight doesn't bother him from a jumping standpoint (and he missed at least two shots he could have dunked today) it will wear his joints. He's listed at 270 but he's gotta be pushing 300 - that's pretty tough on the knees.

Unclebuck
04-10-2005, 11:18 PM
I think Fred has played at least average in the past two games. He did not shoot well. So I guess if you equate "playing well" with "shooting well" you might have a point.

Pet peeve. Btown you said, "It's too bad Fred Jones was the best player on the court for the Knicks tonight, the Pacers could have used any kind of effort out of him".

As if Fred's was not playing hard. I know we are talking semantics and I don't think you mean to say that Fred was not giving good effort. perhaps performance is what you mean

DisplacedKnick
04-11-2005, 08:13 AM
His performance was burtal. I'm fairly sure I saw him getting lost on defense time and time again.

The missed shots didn't really bother me too much. We're going to live or die on the outside shot until we get JO back. Today, we died on it. But it was the repeated defensive failures and mix-ups that REALLY bothered me. I don't automatically equate running hard with "effort". Anyone can do the athletic part of the game. It's just caring enough to combine the mental part with the athletic part that is what I would consider real "effort". And today, Fred just wasn't anywhere close to the court mentally.

I'll go with that - at least some of the time. At least twice on defense he had this sort of vague look in his eyes, like his intensity wasn't there.

Though Marbury can make a lot of people look bad on D when he decides to take it to the basket and not settle for jumpers. I was SURE that's what he was doing that last possession - he pounded the ball enough that I thought he'd try to clear a step or two and take the 20-footer. Beyond just winning the game, his taking it to the rim showed that he's at least learned a few things.

Crawford can make people look real bad too, if he'll just do it. The man is MEAN off the dribble - better than Marbury. I just wish he'd do it more. Even though the J was falling, that's not the shot I want him taking.

Beyond not being in there that last play, I was surprised DD wasn't in more during the 4th, though I guess the Pacers were on a run.

Saw this quote in today's Star. If I'm Herb I run off a copy of it, highlight it and hand it out to everyone to have a conversation about:

"Even though it was a terrible shot (Marbury) took, it was able to open up some rebounding space for Sweetney," Jackson said. "They were relentless going after the rebounds. That (putback) shows how they were going after the boards. I talked to some of their guys (Saturday) and they said they were on vacation. They didn't come out and play like it."

The guy's coaching to get himself a job right now and players are saying they're on vacation? Besides that, for the amount of money they're making ...

Harddrive7
04-11-2005, 08:48 AM
His performance was burtal. I'm fairly sure I saw him getting lost on defense time and time again.

The missed shots didn't really bother me too much. We're going to live or die on the outside shot until we get JO back. Today, we died on it. But it was the repeated defensive failures and mix-ups that REALLY bothered me. I don't automatically equate running hard with "effort". Anyone can do the athletic part of the game. It's just caring enough to combine the mental part with the athletic part that is what I would consider real "effort". And today, Fred just wasn't anywhere close to the court mentally.

You want to talk about someone looking lost yesterday, I hope that you caught a glimpse of Foster. Everytime he went out after being on the bench or talking to Carlisle he was putting his hands up as if to say, what am I suppose to do here. Realizing of course at his position as long as he's in place for a rebound he should be good, but still.