PDA

View Full Version : WALSH: ISIAH'S DOIN' RIGHT

Will Galen
04-10-2005, 03:25 AM
http://nypost.com/sports/knicks/44244.htm

WALSH: ISIAH'S DOIN' RIGHT
By MARC BERMAN
April 10, 2005 -- INDIANAPOLIS Pacerspresident Donnie Walsh defended Isiah Thomas' work and believes the Knicks' situation is not as bad as Jason Kidd thinks. The Brooklyn-born Walsh, who fired Thomas as Indy coach in 2003, believes adding a low-post center will make all the difference.
"I think he has accumulated a lot of good players who will occupy three or four positions for the future," Walsh told The Post. "I think he needs the position that will galvanize his team, which is a starting center and not easy to get. That would make sense of the other players he has on the team. If New York could come up with a low-post player, it changes things in a hurry. That's his remaining duty."

League officials believe Hornets center Jamaal Magloire, who experienced an injury-wracked season, will be available in a trade this summer.

The top free-agent center is Zydrunas Ilgauskas and, with new ownership, everything is in flux in Cleveland, including LeBron James' status. The Knicks would need to acquire Ilgauskas in a sign-and-trade.

Kwame Brown, Eddy Curry and Stromile Swift, all of whom Thomas has a passion for, are also free agents. With the Knicks' slide at nine, their lottery ping-pong balls keep growing. At 29-46, they are tied for the lottery's sixth seed, in the hunt for expected No. 1 pick Utah 7-foot center Andrew Bogut. The other center with lottery potential is 7-3 Lithiuanian Martynas Andriuskevicius.

Thomas was criticized for giving up his only center, Nazr Mohammed, but Walsh said, "He looked at the present team, knew it wasn't good enough to get to the next level so he broke it down, got rid of Mohammed and tried to reform the team."

The Knicks, amid their longest losing streak in 20 years at nine, visit Walsh's playoff-bound Pacers today. Seven games remain to this humiliating season that began with promise, preseason favorites to win the Atlantic Division.

"Sixteen months is not enough to rebuild a team," said the respected Walsh. "I do like the pickups he's made. He's getting quality players at the 1-2-3 and could move [Tim] Thomas to 4. He needs that one remaining position. Those are hard to come by. But he made great strides in breaking up the team he got, bringing in good players like [Stephon] Marbury, [Jamal] Crawford, [Trevor] Ariza."

Ariza's selection at No. 43 stands as Isiah's best move. Marbury, statistically, has had terrific season but did not make enough big plays in the final two minutes of games. And Crawford was erratic offensively, a bust on defense.

However, Walsh says the Knicks should not give up on Crawford. One confidant of Phil Jackson says the Zen Master likes Crawford, believes he'd work well in the triangle, giving his game more structure.

"I think Jamal's going to be a terrific player, I really do," Walsh said. "He's figuring it out now. It looks to me he's trying to play the right way. He's not racing down the court and firing shots up. He's trying to play within the offense. It takes a player a year to adjust unless they walk into a ready-made team and it's not."

Of Marbury, Walsh said, "Until you win, there's going to be a knock on you, but he's got the talent. I haven't seen him on a team that's fit for him and it always helps when you have a low-post guy."

Will Galen
04-10-2005, 03:49 AM
. . . with new ownership, everything is in flux in Cleveland, including LeBron James' status.

I keep reading this, but I really doubt Cleveland will let LeBron get away. The new owner appears to be making ill timed moves, but I don't think he's dumb enough to insite LeBron to leave.

However if he does, what team probably has the resorces to get LeBron in a sign and trade? LeBron makes $4,621,800 next year. How about the Pacers?

skyfire
04-10-2005, 07:45 AM
erm...

Cleveland Cavaliers Asset List:

LeBron James
All else insignificant

The Cavs owners will do whatever it takes to make LeBron happy and that is undoubtedly going to mean putting a complete team around him. Either he is going to be happy at the end of his contact and the Cavs resign him at max or he will walk and the Cavs owners will have lost a bucket load of $.

As crap as the Knicks are this season, I like some of their pieces but it is still a ways from becoming a decent team. I would move Marbury on to whoever would take him. He can put up all the stats he wants, he just isn't a winner. What is his contract status? lots of years and lots of money?

From what little i've seen of Crawford, I think he could be a good 2nd/3rd option in the right system. Tim Thomas has been improving this season and the more he plays in the post he is a handful at SF. Ariza and Sweetney seem like they will become solid NBA players. The game against the Knicks a month or so ago showed that when they play defense they can be tough.

I hope that Bogut goes nowhere close to the Knicks in the draft, as long as Marbury is there. It would be a pretty drastic change going from playing your college ball in Utah and then pro in NYC.

ps. marbury sucks

sweabs
04-10-2005, 10:28 AM
If Rob Babcock was smart, he would make a serious push for Jamaal Magloire in the offseason. A frontline of Bosh/Magloire would be something to reckon with. They are both relatively young, and would compliment each other very nicely.

Not to mention, Canada is eager for one of its own to come play for the Raptors. I ONE of Babcock's serious mistakes (and trust me, there were lots) was not pursuing Steve Nash in the offseason. Nash had said he would like to play in Toronto, and the fans would absolutely go crazy if that ever happened...but Rob never budged. Magloire is from Toronto - I think it would be great for him and the fans.

Anthem
04-10-2005, 12:41 PM
. . . with new ownership, everything is in flux in Cleveland, including LeBron James' status.

I keep reading this, but I really doubt Cleveland will let LeBron get away. The new owner appears to be making ill timed moves, but I don't think he's dumb enough to insite LeBron to leave.

However if he does, what team probably has the resorces to get LeBron in a sign and trade? LeBron makes $4,621,800 next year. How about the Pacers?

He's not saying LeBron's available... he's saying that with LaBron's status in flux, Big Z is more likely to sign somewhere else.

travmil
04-10-2005, 12:54 PM
I think that Cleveland's new owner is just being a realist, and knows that the current Cavs are not good enough to win it all. The Bulls didn't win until Jordan's seventh season, then won six of the next eight. I think he's thinking more along those lines because he knows how special LeBron is as a player. If you really think about it, if the Cavs had stayed on the pace they were on, LeBron would have gotten enough MVP votes to make some noise. It's this kind of thinking that the owner has to instill in LeBron, and get these supposed feelings of resentment under control.

Harmonica
04-10-2005, 12:54 PM
Ron for LeBron! has a nice ring to it.

Anthem
04-10-2005, 12:59 PM
Yeah, for the most part I really like having Ron on this team. But if we could trade him for LaBron, I guess I'd go for that.

Will Galen
04-10-2005, 01:13 PM
He's not saying LeBron's available... he's saying that with LaBron's status in flux, Big Z is more likely to sign somewhere else.

I wasn't talking about this article. I said I keep reading Labrons unhappy. If he continues unhappy Cleveland will eventually have to trade him to get something in return.

Jaydawg2270
04-10-2005, 01:24 PM
No Lebron!

Anthem
04-10-2005, 01:51 PM
No Lebron!

Are you serious? I was kidding.

LaBron's one of the top players in the NBA, and he's going to be for the next decade. On this team, I'd trade any 3 guys not named Jermaine for him. And the Cavs would laugh at that offer.

I'm not spending time thinking about it, because the Cavs have 2 years to show they're turning things around, and I'm sure they will in that time. LaBron will never leave Cleveland.

sweabs
04-10-2005, 03:04 PM
With all the recent talk about Lebron possibly leaving, I also want to point out that Bosh is noticeably upset. After getting whomped by Chicago last night, he was almost in tears on the bench. The kid just wants to win so bad - yet he's caught up in a piece of ***** organization, with no direction.

travmil
04-10-2005, 03:39 PM
With all the recent talk about Lebron possibly leaving, I also want to point out that Bosh is noticeably upset. After getting whomped by Chicago last night, he was almost in tears on the bench. The kid just wants to win so bad - yet he's caught up in a piece of ***** organization, with no direction.

I can't believe that Stern has two completely floundering franchises in Toronto and New Orleans, but still won't consider moving a franchise to Vegas, who would absolutely LOVE to have either of them.

By saying that I am implying that the reason those teams are floundering is their location. New Orleans just isn't a b-ball town, and Canada isn't a b-ball country. I think the fans don't care, and the organizations have a sort of "why bother?" attitude.

Los Angeles
04-10-2005, 03:42 PM
I can't believe that Stern has two completely floundering franchises in Toronto and New Orleans, but still won't consider moving a franchise to Vegas, who would absolutely LOVE to have either of them.

By saying that I am implying that the reason those teams are floundering is their location. New Orleans just isn't a b-ball town, and Canada isn't a b-ball country. I think the fans don't care, and the organizations have a sort of "why bother?" attitude.
It's all about "image."

The gambling and other legalized vice industries in Vegas will continue to prevent pro organizations from considering Vegas as a host city to a team.

I think it's pathetic, too.

3Ball
04-10-2005, 04:46 PM
Are you serious? I was kidding.

LaBron's one of the top players in the NBA, and he's going to be for the next decade. On this team, I'd trade any 3 guys not named Jermaine for him. And the Cavs would laugh at that offer.

I'm not spending time thinking about it, because the Cavs have 2 years to show they're turning things around, and I'm sure they will in that time. LaBron will never leave Cleveland.

I would trade 3 guys named Jermaine & they would definitely laugh at that.

sweabs
04-10-2005, 05:03 PM
...and Canada isn't a b-ball country. I think the fans don't care, and the organizations have a sort of "why bother?" attitude. [/edit]

Not true. Basketball is definitely becoming more popular within Canada (especially with the way the NHL is headed). Steve Nash is idolized around here - and has really become a Canadian icon. If you look, Toronto always has some of the highest attendance numbers in the league. The fans are loyal, and always will be.

The "why bother" attitude stemming from the top of the organization I can somewhat see. The owners are also Leafs guys - Richard Peddie and Larry Tannenbaum...and it seems like they just try to put a competitive bunch out there, hoping "it can't be worse than last year". They are definitely more of the 'hockey-type', and so was the old GM, Glen Grunwald. However, they hired Rob Babcock on the basis that he was strictly basketball...yet he goes out and drafts Rafael Araujo with the #8 pick......:lmao:

Anthem
04-10-2005, 07:40 PM

You think players put a lot of emphasis on playing in Florida and California? You can't imagine how easy it would be to recruit players to live and work in Las Vegas.

Plus, you'd have the ultimate homecourt advantage.

I love Vegas.

canyoufeelit
04-10-2005, 07:47 PM
I wouldn't trade LeBron James for entire teams. He is as untouchable as you can get in this league.

3Ball
04-10-2005, 08:58 PM
You think players put a lot of emphasis on playing in Florida and California? You can't imagine how easy it would be to recruit players to live and work in Las Vegas.

Plus, you'd have the ultimate homecourt advantage.

I love Vegas.

That's what everyone said about New Orleans.

Anthem
04-10-2005, 09:25 PM
That's what everyone said about New Orleans.

You say so. I don't remember that, but then I don't remember anybody that actually thought the NBA would do well in Nawlins.

Vegas would be weird. You'd have A LOT of casual fans (seeing a game would be like seeing a show), plus a lot of people in the arena on a given night would be rooting for the visiting team. But I guarantee your attendance would be absolutely great.

Still, I'd love to try.

Eindar
04-11-2005, 03:42 AM
Ultimate home court advantage is Denver. Even the players who don't kill a hooker in their hotel room the night before the game look like they were on a 3-day bender by the end of the game, due to the altitude.

Gyron
04-11-2005, 08:36 AM
I know it'll never happen but, Stern would die if Lebron ended up here...They would have to actually promote the Lebron in a Pacers uniform and Shwo paceers games on TV and such......It'd kill him. They'd probably make Lebron wear his old Cav's jerseys for commercials....

:laugh: