PDA

View Full Version : Pacer Prattle - 04-10-05

Will Galen
04-10-2005, 03:04 AM
Unless Chicago falters I don't think we can catch them. We need to gain a game on them before we play them since we are two games behind them.

Looking at the schedule for Indiana reveals we have to play three probable playoff teams back to back. We play New Jersey here. Since they are fighting to make the playoffs I will really be surprised if we win that game. We then have to play Philadelphia, another team fighting to make the playoffs. That will be another hard game to win. We then go to Miami who will want to prove to us that they can beat us. I just don't see us beating all three of those teams. In fact it wouldn't surprise me to lose all three.

Chicago has two tough games left. They host Detroit Monday, and then go to Washington Wednesday. I don't look for them to win both those games, so we could actually move within the needed game of them. However we then hit some bumps in the road so unless Chicago takes some unexpected loses I don't think we will catch them.

RECORDS
Chicago 44-32
Indiana 41-34

CHICAGO SCHEDULE
Mon 11 Detroit
Wed 13 @ Washington
Fri 15 Orlando
Sat 16 @ Atlanta
Tue 19 New York
Wed 20 @ Indiana

INDIANA SCHEDULE
Sun 10 New York
Mon 11 @ Toronto
Wed 13 New Jersey
Fri 15 Philadelphia
Sun 17 @ Miami
Mon 18 @ Orlando
Wed 20 Chicago

In the West, Minnesota has all but been eliminated having lost their last two games. All Memphis has to do to eliminate Minnesota is win 2 of their remaining 7 games.

So in essence all that remains in the West is settling who plays who.

Standings 04-10-05
1 Phoenix 57 19
2 San Antonio 56 20
3 Seattle 50 26
4 Dallas 52 24
5 Sacramento 47 30
6 Houston 46 31
7 Denver 45 31
8 Memphis 43 32
9 Minnesota 40 37
-----

Reggie still leads Earl Boykins of Denver in free throw percentage .933 to .924. He's not close to having the highest percentage in a season though. The highest was Calvin Murphy, Houston, 1980-81 (206/215) .958

A little known fact. On March 3, 1993, Manute Bol of Philadelphia attempted 12 3-point field goals . . . in a half. The record for a half is held by Michael Adams of Denver. He attempted 13, on April 12, 1991.

Reggie4Three
04-10-2005, 03:43 AM
Look at it again. Philly and NJ come here. Our remaining road games are Toronto, Orlando, and Miami. Philly and NJ won't be easy wins, but having them at home helps.

Will Galen
04-10-2005, 03:51 AM
Look at it again. Philly and NJ come here. Our remaining road games are Toronto, Orlando, and Miami. Philly and NJ won't be easy wins, but having them at home helps.

You're right! How can someone write all that down and then get his facts screwered? Raising hand! (grin)

Thanks! I edited that post.

NorCal_Pacerfan
04-10-2005, 04:16 AM
I'd have to agree. As much as I want to catch Chicago, I would be surprised to see it happen. I'm not saying it won't, but the Bulls and the Pacers are both really peaking right now. I wouldn't surprised to see the Bulls beat Detroit Monday.

Will Galen
04-10-2005, 04:18 AM
Then again with all the injuries Chicago is having maybe we can catch them after all. They lost Deng for the rest of the season, Curry is having heart problems, and now Chandler has been injuried.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-0504090225apr09,1,4513965.column?coll=cs-bulls-utility

Sam Smith
April 9, 2005
Chandler injury undermines win
Suffers scratched eye; defense shuts down Knicks

NEW YORK -- This is becoming routine and worrisome for the Bulls.

The Bulls won their 11th in their last 12 games and sixth in their last seven on the road Friday night when they beat the New York Knicks 102-94.

"Guys were able to make some big plays when we needed them," said Ben Gordon, who led the Bulls with 22 points. "We were able to pull away with the win."

But at what cost?

Tyson Chandler was hit in the eye with a stray hand from Jerome Williams and suffered a severe scratch. Chandler wore a patch over his left eye after the game and wasn't sure he could play Saturday night against Toronto.

Chandler, who led the Bulls with nine rebounds and four blocks, had just finished a sequence of consecutive blocks that forced the Knicks into a 24-second violation with the Bulls hanging onto a 91-88 lead.

"I went to block Jerome's shot and he swung with his off arm and scratched my eye," Chandler said. "They said it was the cornea. I can't open my eye because the light burns. There's a fuzz, a blur. I'm glad we got the victory, but I didn't know what the score was. I couldn't see. I couldn't get my eye open."

The Bulls played well down the stretch in holding Stephon Marbury and Jamal Crawford to 2 of 9 shooting in the fourth quarter.

With the Bulls hanging onto a three-point lead with two minutes left after Chandler went out, Kirk Hinrich shadowed Marbury into a forced jumper in the lane at the 24-second buzzer. After a Gordon jump-shot basket in the lane, the Bulls ran Crawford into a wild, spinning jumper that missed and Gordon finished New York off. He shot by Marbury for a foul and clinching free throws.

"Our defense tightened up," said Hinrich, who had 20 points. "It has been a strength of ours. The last four, five minutes of games we've been able to get the job done. . . . Step back and think about it. How young we all are. To play like we do down the stretch and tough-out road wins like this is impressive."

This was the Bulls' third road game in four nights and they won it even though they fell behind double digits in the first quarter.

With the victory the Bulls solidified their hold on the fourth playoff seed and moved within one game of clinching a playoff berth. Indiana also won Friday night so the Pacers moved into a tie for fifth place in the East that would be good for a first-round date with the Bulls.

The Bulls fell behind early with what coach Scott Skiles said was a pattern of lax defense. The team then rallied quickly as it had Wednesday night at Orlando.

The Bulls' shooting was poor as the Knicks went on a 15-0 run behind Crawford and Marbury to take a 21-8 lead seven minutes into the game. The Knicks rely almost exclusively on their quick shooting guards with an occasional bailout pass to Kurt Thomas for a jumper. Everyone else: Get ready to rebound.

The Bulls rallied behind Gordon and Adrian Griffin, who had 12 points in the second quarter and a season-high 16 points in 32 minutes.

"I guess I was feeling it," Griffin said. "[Madison Square] Garden is the best place to play. We have a few guys out and I was just trying to help out."

After the Bulls climbed to within 55-54 at halftime, Crawford and Hinrich engaged in a mini shootout in the third quarter as the Knicks went into the fourth leading 77-76.

"They should take that game to the Hall of Fame and run it on a constant loop so the fans could enjoy it over and over," Skiles joked. "[Neither] team played well but once again, when then game was on the line, we were able to get to get stops, get to the line, make a couple shots. We were a little out of gas but we were able to rally again."

NorCal_Pacerfan
04-10-2005, 04:39 AM
Yeah, they are really rackin' the injuries up. The playoffs are going to be that much more intense, and for such a young team, it'll be interesting to see how they hold up down the stretch. Makes me glad that our injuries came earlier in the season. ...sound of me knocking on wood.

Anthem
04-10-2005, 12:54 PM
Well, I don't think we're going to fall either way. I'd say our hold on the #6 seed is solid. That means we're playing Chicago in the first round.

If they keep losing players, and we get Jermaine back, and we don't change the offense too much, I could easily see us taking that first round.

I don't think we can beat Miami in 7 without either Ron or Tinsley, though, so we'll have to see how it works.

Will Galen
04-10-2005, 01:06 PM
Well, I don't think we're going to fall either way. I'd say our hold on the #6 seed is solid. That means we're playing Chicago in the first round.

I take it you mean our hold on the #5 seed is solid, the 6th seed is playing Boston.

Sand
04-10-2005, 01:31 PM
A little known fact. On March 3, 1993, Manute Bol of Philadelphia attempted 12 3-point field goals . . . in a half. The record for a half is held by Michael Adams of Denver. He attempted 13, on April 12, 1991.

Do you know how many of those Manute made? Thats pretty interestnig.

Anthem
04-10-2005, 01:52 PM
I take it you mean our hold on the #5 seed is solid, the 6th seed is playing Boston.

Sorry, you're right. I meant I didn't think we'd drop to the #6 seed.

Senior moment.

Ragnar
04-10-2005, 02:00 PM
You have to remember we lost to the Bulls by what 4 points. That was our 4th game in 5 nights and less than 24 hours removed from our players sitting on the team bus in Detroit debating whether or not to even play because of bomb threats.

I think we can take them. While they certainly worry me because the coaching is superb I think we can beat them in a best of 7.

Oh and can someone tell me how Skiles went to long without a coaching job when guys like Tim Floyd were working?

indytoad
04-10-2005, 02:02 PM
I dunno. Bulls are losing some important players but are still finding ways to win games. Kinda like the Pacers in that respect. April 20th is gonna be very interesting.

IndyToad
Give me five dollars