PDA

View Full Version : Let's get real about Harrison

ABADays
04-09-2005, 11:22 PM
Does anyone know exactly what is up with him? He's been out a month now and I'm beginning to get a little concerned about the pre-draft "work ethic" talk. I would hate to think our first impression of him wasn't the real thing.

Ragnar
04-09-2005, 11:34 PM
Maybe the cuncusion affected him more than they are letting on.

Bball
04-10-2005, 12:06 AM
Here's an interview with Harrison but unless you are just a big Harrison fan and want to follow everything there isn't much here.
http://www.insidehoops.com/harrison-interview-040705.shtml

-Bball

Bball
04-10-2005, 12:08 AM
I read this in the Star and ASSUMED this info was posted already... but in case it wasn't:

Harrison likely out

Harrison's rookie season appears to be over.

With seven games left in the regular season, Pacers coach Rick Carlisle isn't hopeful that Harrison, a center, will come off the injured list anytime soon.

"I'm starting to think it's doubtful," Carlisle said. "He's not feeling well. It's not a real long-term, threatening thing. We have to make sure it's resolved before we put him back out there."

Harrison has been on the injured list since March 16 with a left knee injury

http://www.indystar.com/articles/3/235509-3313-179.html

Bball
04-10-2005, 12:11 AM
Speaking of injuries...

Bender sighting

Pacers forward Jonathan Bender was in attendance for Friday's game. Bender, who is out for the season with a right knee injury, has been spending time in Boston working with physical therapist Dan Dyrek.

Bender, who is making $6.5 million this season, has played in only 28 games the past two seasons.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/3/235509-3313-179.html

Had the words "Out for the season" already been officially spoken yet? I remember reading something that was as good as saying that but I don't remember it being an official 'done deal' (altho we all knew it was).

-Bball

indytoad
04-10-2005, 01:06 AM
Bender, who is making $6.5 million this season, has played in only 28 games the past two seasons.

:banghead:

IndyToad
That's about all, actually

Suaveness
04-10-2005, 01:08 AM

IndyToad

Don't do that, he might hurt his head too....

Harmonica
04-10-2005, 02:07 AM

IndyToad

Two words, hombré: Grant Hill

wintermute
04-10-2005, 02:45 AM
well grant hill is out with an injury now as well, so he may not be the best example.

a bit ot, but do you guys realize that with both tinsley and harrison likely out 'til next season, then it's looking like john edwards(!) is going to get that last playoff roster spot?? got to hand it to edwards, he's gotten an incredible amount of breaks.

of course there's also the possibility that the pacers will sign a veteran player in lieu of edwards (mike curry would be my guess). or perhaps they're simply gambling that tinsley can get healthy late in a deep playoff run.

Bball
04-10-2005, 03:14 AM
well grant hill is out with an injury now as well, so he may not be the best example.

a bit ot, but do you guys realize that with both tinsley and harrison likely out 'til next season, then it's looking like john edwards(!) is going to get that last playoff roster spot?? got to hand it to edwards, he's gotten an incredible amount of breaks.

of course there's also the possibility that the pacers will sign a veteran player in lieu of edwards (mike curry would be my guess). or perhaps they're simply gambling that tinsley can get healthy late in a deep playoff run.

You guys didn't believe me about Rik Smits coming back for the playoffs?

-Bball

TheSauceMaster
04-10-2005, 04:30 AM
Sorry you can not compare Grant Hill to Bender. Grant Hill was what a 3 time all star before he got hurt seriously ? He was also named 1994-95 NBA co-Rookie of the Year (with the Mavericks' Jason Kidd) among many other things. How anyone can compare Hill's career to Benders is just way beyond me as Grant Hill proved that he could play and Bender continues year after year to prove he's the best bench warmer.

Bender's best year was the 01-02 season where he played 78 games and avg a whole 7.4 ppg , maybe if there is ever a year they don't hype up Bender maybe he will be sucessful in proving something. It seems like every training camp we hear how great Bender is coming along only to be let down.

ABADays
04-10-2005, 06:32 AM
As I stated in another thread, Bender has 371 games, 17,000 minutes and 10,000 pts less than Hill.

Now . . . back to Harrison.

hoopsforlife
04-10-2005, 10:06 AM
You guys didn't believe me about Rik Smits coming back for the playoffs?

-Bball

I would really like to see that happen. Rik stays in shape and could bring alot back for a playoff run. I doubt it will happen but it could make a positive difference in the playoffs. :)

shags
04-10-2005, 10:45 AM

The Pacers will keep Tinsley on the playoff roster. They're pretty much a lock to advance beyond the first round, and there might be a possibility that Tinsley could return mid-May.

ABADays
04-10-2005, 11:01 AM
And Harrison?

Harmonica
04-10-2005, 11:01 AM
Sorry you can not compare Grant Hill to Bender. Grant Hill was what a 3 time all star before he got hurt seriously ? He was also named 1994-95 NBA co-Rookie of the Year (with the Mavericks' Jason Kidd) among many other things. How anyone can compare Hill's career to Benders is just way beyond me as Grant Hill proved that he could play and Bender continues year after year to prove he's the best bench warmer.

Bender's best year was the 01-02 season where he played 78 games and avg a whole 7.4 ppg , maybe if there is ever a year they don't hype up Bender maybe he will be sucessful in proving something. It seems like every training camp we hear how great Bender is coming along only to be let down.

You missed the point entirely. Bball stated, "Bender, who is making $6.5 million this season, has played in only 28 games the past two seasons." To me that's about paying a guy a boatload of money for little or no playing time due to chronic injuries. Which certainly brings Hill to mind. That may be where the comparison ends, but I'd rather be stuck with Bender's contract than Hill's, regardless of Hill's potential upside and past performance.

ABADays
04-10-2005, 11:03 AM
Sheesh - I give up. :confused:

Harmonica
04-10-2005, 11:07 AM
Sheesh - I give up. :confused:

Harrison's season appears to be over. I'm sure the team is taking a conservative approach to him now that we have Dale. What more is there to say really? Now Bender, on the other hand... ;-)

indytoad
04-10-2005, 01:54 PM
Two words, hombré: Grant Hill

Just because a chronically injured Hill was signed to an expensive contract doesn't mean I can't be upset that a chronically injured Bender was signed to an expensive contract. Hill at least played 67 very productive games this year, that's more than can be said of JB.

I guess every team has a couple albatrosses, and we do have very good deals on several other players, but it's still really frustrating to have wasted so much money based on a couple glimpses of potential.

IndyToad
Using bright pink paint on the walls

Bball
04-10-2005, 02:04 PM
. Hill at least played 67 very productive games this year, that's more than can be said of JB.

IndyToad

Hill played productively 67 games this season. Has Bender even played 6 OR 7 productive games in his career?

-Bball

Harmonica
04-10-2005, 02:24 PM
Just because a chronically injured Hill was signed to an expensive contract doesn't mean I can't be upset that a chronically injured Bender was signed to an expensive contract. Hill at least played 67 very productive games this year, that's more than can be said of JB.

I guess every team has a couple albatrosses, and we do have very good deals on several other players, but it's still really frustrating to have wasted so much money based on a couple glimpses of potential.

You won't get any argument from me on that.

Anthem
04-10-2005, 11:18 PM
Until he learns what a work ethic is, he won't be too useful.

What makes you think he hasn't? Given, the proof is in the pudding, so we'll see how he shows up to camp next year. But I thought we'd had a lot of quotes from various and sundry Pacers officials talking about how hard he's worked.

He was significantly thinner on opening day than he was on draft night. You don't lose that just by cutting carbs.

Anthem
04-10-2005, 11:40 PM
I have no real reason to just assume that he won't figure it out this off-season...

That's about what I was looking for. Your previous comment made me wonder if there was anything new that was making people question his ability to work ethic. Not being in town, I miss out on these things. I live (i.e., keep up with the Pacers) vicariously though PacersDigest.

Anthem
04-10-2005, 11:47 PM
If it helps, he looked absolutely anorexic compared to Sweetney today....

:shrug:

Well, suits are very slimming...

Eindar
04-11-2005, 03:30 AM

IndyToad

There's no use crying about this. This is how DW operates with guys who have a lot of undeveloped potential. He overpays them a bit in hopes that they develop, and are then considered a "steal". Occasionally it backfires, but overall, it's been more successful than not. On the Plus side, you've got Tinsley, Artest, Harrington, and Foster. On the Minus side, you've got Croshere and Bender. And, again, if he could stay healthy, Bender becoming a 15/5 guy isn't out of the realm of possibility, and really, that's not too bad for what he's making, based on the league average. :)

beast23
04-11-2005, 09:29 PM
I thought there was something a few days ago from Walsh that said that it is almost certain that Harrison is out for the season.

So -

Harrison - out for the season.
Tinsley - out for the season.
O'Neal - hopefully back for the playoffs.
Artest - suspended. Still.
Bender - does anyone still care?