PDA

View Full Version : Interesting possible matchups around the league...

3Ball
04-09-2005, 09:33 PM
As things stand now...there are some interesting series that could happen.

In the East...
*Philly and Detroit could be surprisingly competitive.
*Lebron vs. Shaq would be a 4-game laugher, but it would have a lot of hype seeing the last Worldbeater vs. the next.
*Indy vs. Chicago has almost as much playoff resonance as Knicks vs. Hicks. Of course, there will be one big difference since the last time we saw them in the post-season.
*It's only a shame that either Boston or the Wizards would have to advance to the second round.
*As things stand now, the Pacers would have to wait until the ECF to meet up with Detroit (sorry Jermaine), but there's still enough season left to have us facing off in the first round.

In the West...
*By contrast, the West doesn't seem to be nearly as interesting in the first round. That could change, though, depending on Tim Duncan. If he isn't back or isn't 100% by playoff time, the Spurs could easily be dumped by Denver (yes, Denver) in the first round. That would be a major upset.
*Also, the annual matchup of Dallas and Sacto has a little less magic to it than in recent years. Sacramento is a broken team who still has talent but knows that its window has past. You know there are probably still a few Kings who ache for the second round to get their chance to try to stick it to Robert Horry.
*Speaking of the second round, a matchup of Phoenix and Dallas could be fantastically exciting. Two uptempo ballclubs trying to play credible defense for the postseason. Also, it would be Nash against his old buds.

Of course, this could all change by tomorrow. And mostly likely will soon enough.

Hicks
04-09-2005, 09:46 PM
*Indy vs. Chicago has almost as much playoff resonance as Knicks vs. Hicks.

I nearly beat those ****ers in '94 :grumble:

But playing 1 on 12 in a 7 game series takes its tole. :D

Harmonica
04-09-2005, 09:50 PM
In the West...
*By contrast, the West doesn't seem to be nearly as interesting in the first round. That could change, though, depending on Tim Duncan. If he isn't back or isn't 100% by playoff time, the Spurs could easily be dumped by Denver (yes, Denver) in the first round. That would be a major upset.

With Duncan out or playing at less than 100%, and the way the Nuggets are playing right now, why would that be considered a major upset?

indytoad
04-09-2005, 09:52 PM
The West will be very interesting if the Spurs get knocked out early. Quite literally any team could win the conference. Well, except maybe Sac.

IndyToad
Eats sand sometimes

3Ball
04-09-2005, 09:58 PM
With Duncan out or playing at less than 100%, and the way the Nuggets are playing right now, why would that be considered a major upset?

A major upset based on 1) their record 2) practically every prediction made before Duncan went down and 3) the fact that before Karl Denver looked to be on the way to doing everything possible to get LA into the playoffs.

I'm saying, without Duncan, it's a serious possibility.

shags
04-09-2005, 10:09 PM
I think Denver may very well pass Houston for the 6th seed. There schedule's pretty easy down the stretch, plus they're playing great.

Wizards are really falling. 5 losses in a row, including a loss at home with Jamison tonight to Philly, who was without Iverson and Webber. I think a series between them and the Celtics would be entertaining to watch. Both teams really look to push the ball.

It'll be interesting to see how Cleveland responds after tonight's win. They've got winnable games left on their schedule.

Will Galen
04-09-2005, 11:48 PM
As things stand now...there are some interesting series that could happen. *Lebron vs. Shaq would be a 4-game laugher, but it would have a lot of hype seeing the last Worldbeater vs. the next.

I don't think Lebron is going to make it. Jersey is coming with a rush, they have 5 games left and I think they will probably win 4 of them. They have already won 38 games so that makes them winning 42 games.

Cleveland has 6 games left and have won 39. New Jersey has the tie breaker, so that means Cleveland has to win 43 games. That means they have to go 4-2 over their last 6 games. The way they are playing I don't think they can do it.