PDA

View Full Version : 1994 all over again?

Big Smooth
04-09-2005, 03:36 PM
Okay, not a perfect comparison. Obviously the Pacers had never won a NBA playoff series prior to 1994. 11 years later we've won many series, participated in many ECF's and even been to the Finals.

But as far as being an underdog team flying into the picture out of nowhere.....I think a comparison can be made. I can see announcers, like Bill Walton at one point during a 1994 playoff game vs Atlanta exclaiming "Who are these guys?". Fred Jones, James Jones, Scot Pollard, Jeff Foster, Austin Croshere, Anthony Johnson, Dale Davis, Eddie Gill.....guys who aren't household names but who are playing roles and playing them well. And then you have SJax and Reggie bringing the primary scoring punch.

Much like 1994, the Pacers are surging into the 4/5 matchup with a big late season winning streak.

I see some people debating who we'd "prefer" to play. Well folks, I don't waste much time on that line of thought. Going back to Isiah's last season, who did NOT think the Celtics were the ideal first round matchup? And they promptly spanked our rear ends.

The way this team is playing right now, I don't care if they have to face Bill Russell's Celtics in the 1st round. The team is playing as a true team and playing extremely well. They are fun to watch and I can live with whatever outcome the postseason holds. But the truth is that no team approaching Russell's Celtics awaits us. The Heat are formidable but not unbeatable. The Pistons are not playing their best ball. Those are really the 2 main teams standing in the way of any other ECF contender.

Great ride so far, hope it continues.

Vicious Tyrant
04-09-2005, 04:11 PM
I like the thought. Don't know if it will pan out, but...

Somewhere in the basement I still have the old Indianapolis Star photo of Reggie standing outside somewhere at MSA tossing a bball in the air with a caption reading something about "like this ball the Pacers playoff future is up in the air against the Orlando Magic."

A couple days later Byron had hit the big shot to end the 1st game against Shaq and the Magic (Remember AD dunking on Shaq?). The Pacers were lined up to play the Knicks, the city was excited and the Knicks were waiting. No one knew history was going to be made that year and memories to live on for a long time.

Those were sweet times and they could happen again???

Reggie4Three
04-09-2005, 05:36 PM
In IT's last season WE were the team that everyone wanted in the first round because we were a terrible team down the stretch. The Celtics were perhaps the best matchup to hope for, but I never thought we were going to win a series against anyone the way we played the last 20 or so games of the season.