PDA

View Full Version : Homecourt advantage, here we come!

Anthem
04-08-2005, 10:36 PM
With tonight's win over Washington, we just moved up to the five seed. I never ever would have thought this was possible.

Our last game of the season is against Chicago. It might be the game that determines who gets the 4 spot and who gets the 5.

purdue101
04-08-2005, 10:42 PM
don't get me wrong, i love watching the pacers continue their winning streak. but i would rather have the 6th seed against boston than a 5 or 4 against chicago.

if we get the 6th seed, there is a good chance the pacers will still have homecourt over boston...i think they are tied right now and i believe we own the tiebreaker. plus we would delay a matchup with miami until the 3rd round as oppossed to the 2nd round if we had the 4 or 5 seed.

chicago is playing too well right now and we've had our struggles with them. i don't want to mess with that. i think boston with homecourt is a W for indy.

Deadshot
04-08-2005, 10:42 PM
Home court will be very important I believe; us fans are going to be fired up about the team, and specifically Reggie. With the way things are going in Chicago right now, I wouldn't be surprised if we did grab the 4th seed (although I hope Curry is OK).

purdue101
04-08-2005, 10:43 PM
way things are going with chicago?? they are 9-1 in their last 10. they've had our number this year too.

Deadshot
04-08-2005, 10:45 PM
And they also just lost Deng for the season, and I wouldn't be surprised if Curry is out for awhile as well.

pacerwaala
04-08-2005, 10:45 PM
don't get me wrong, i love watching the pacers continue their winning streak. but i would rather have the 6th seed against boston than a 5 or 4 against chicago.

if we get the 6th seed, there is a good chance the pacers will still have homecourt over boston...i think they are tied right now and i believe we own the tiebreaker. plus we would delay a matchup with miami until the 3rd round as oppossed to the 2nd round if we had the 4 or 5 seed.

chicago is playing too well right now and we've had our struggles with them. i don't want to mess with that. i think boston with homecourt is a W for indy.

If by the grace of everybosy here, we make it to the second round I would much rather play Miami rather than Detroit. Also, Boston is a veteran team. I would like to play Chicago in the first round just because of the inexperience factor. Don't let the regular season record fool you, Boston is one wily veteran team with all that playoff experience

purdue101
04-08-2005, 10:50 PM
curry is a big loss.....but i think he'll be back soon. i've read that the team is just playing it safe and waiting for clearance from the doctors.

as for deng.....chicago's record is pretty much identical with or without him.

purdue101
04-08-2005, 10:55 PM
If by the grace of everybosy here, we make it to the second round I would much rather play Miami rather than Detroit. Also, Boston is a veteran team. I would like to play Chicago in the first round just because of the inexperience factor. Don't let the regular season record fool you, Boston is one wily veteran team with all that playoff experience

i disagree......chicago is playing better than any team in the league right now and we're still 2 games behind them for homecourt. boston is playing average ball right now and we will most likely end up with homecourt over them.

i can see your point of view though with chicago not having much experience. either way.....if the pacers play the way they are right now, i think we'll hold our on against either team. i just think boston will be an easier out.

Ragnar
04-08-2005, 10:56 PM
I just hope the Nets make the 7th seed and get RJ back long enough to either knock off or hurt the Pistons. The way they are playing right now they could give them a serious scare if not take them out.

Lord Helmet
04-08-2005, 10:57 PM
Also, factor in Boston's playoff experience as waala said. Chicago is a team that is young and has no playoff experience.

Kstat
04-08-2005, 10:58 PM
I just hope the Nets make the 7th seed and get RJ back long enough to either knock off or hurt the Pistons. The way they are playing right now they could give them a serious scare if not take them out.

Somehow Nenad Krstic and Jason Collins don't frighten me much.....I don't care if they have Magic, Jordan and Bird as their 1-2-3 guys. THey have nobody that can stay within a zip-code of Rasheed Wallace.

purdue101
04-08-2005, 10:58 PM
NJ is my sleeper team for next year......i think they are going to be a force. RJ will be back....vince and kidd are gaining chemistry....and that kristic kid is going to be a solid player. i also expect them to get rahim in FA.

pacerwaala
04-08-2005, 11:04 PM
Somehow Nenad Krstic and Jason Collins don't frighten me much.....I don't care if they have Magic, Jordan and Bird as their 1-2-3 guys. THey have nobody that can stay within a zip-code of Rasheed Wallace.

With the history between the two teams and with RJ back, the Nets could give the Pistons some fits. They probably won't win but it won't be a cakewalk.

So if the Nets had Magic, Jordan and Bird as their 1-2-3 guys, you would not care about what? Pistons Basketball!

purdue101
04-08-2005, 11:07 PM
detroit is such a high/low team. they'll win 10 in a row and then drop 5 in a row. if NJ plays their best ball (as they have lately) and detroit hits one of those spurts, I could see NJ making that an interesting series.

carter looks back to his old self and i remember him stepping up in the postseason. kidd is a great playoff performer too.

Kstat
04-08-2005, 11:11 PM
With the history between the two teams and with RJ back, the Nets could give the Pistons some fits. They probably won't win but it won't be a cakewalk.

So if the Nets had Magic, Jordan and Bird as their 1-2-3 guys, you would not care about what? Pistons Basketball!

It all comes down to the big men in the playoffs. Kenyon Martin was the main reason NJ took us to 7 games last year. They have nobody CLOSE to what he brought. Rasheed, Dice and Ben will eat NJ's frontline alive.

The Nets are an interesting team, but I don't think they'll out up much of a fight. They're a 2 (possibly 3) man team, and the Pistons just have too mnay weapons.

I will say this though, nobody that finishes 7th in the east is going to scare me much anyway. Thats why they finish 7th.

purdue101
04-08-2005, 11:15 PM
KStat------kinda OT here but i was wondering if there is any word on an extension for prince and if so, what kinda money is he looking at?

Kstat
04-08-2005, 11:16 PM
KStat------kinda OT here but i was wondering if there is any word on an extension for prince and if so, what kinda money is he looking at?

Prince isn't up till next summer, but I'm guessing he'll get Hamilton-type money- in the $55-70 million range.

pacerwaala
04-08-2005, 11:26 PM
I said the same exact thing, till the '99 Knicks...............................:censored:

The 99 knicks had Jess Kersey making 4 -pointers for them. That is why they won. F$$K that call.

pacerwaala
04-08-2005, 11:29 PM
It all comes down to the big men in the playoffs. Kenyon Martin was the main reason NJ took us to 7 games last year. They have nobody CLOSE to what he brought. Rasheed, Dice and Ben will eat NJ's frontline alive.

The Nets are an interesting team, but I don't think they'll out up much of a fight. They're a 2 (possibly 3) man team, and the Pistons just have too mnay weapons.

I will say this though, nobody that finishes 7th in the east is going to scare me much anyway. Thats why they finish 7th.

Kenyon was a reason but RJ was eating up TPrince alive. I agree with you on the big men part though. They will win take one or two but will keep the games interesting

shags
04-08-2005, 11:38 PM
Prince isn't up till next summer, but I'm guessing he'll get Hamilton-type money- in the $55-70 million range.

Well, the Pistons can sign him this summer to an extension, barring no changes to that part of the CBA. But the Pistons have his restricted rights if they can't work that out. I'm thinking the same type of money, like $9 million per year.

pacerwaala
04-08-2005, 11:42 PM
Well, the Pistons can sign him this summer to an extension, barring no changes to that part of the CBA. But the Pistons have his restricted rights if they can't work that out. I'm thinking the same type of money, like $9 million per year.

I think $9 million per is a lot for the third or fourth option on a team. (the first three options, Hamilton, Chauncy and Rasheed are signed long term). He is probably worth that much for other teams but after Ben gets his legacy contract, $9mill for TPrince would be a little excessive.

Kstat
04-08-2005, 11:49 PM
I think $9 million per is a lot for the third or fourth option on a team. (the first three options, Hamilton, Chauncy and Rasheed are signed long term). He is probably worth that much for other teams but after Ben gets his legacy contract, $9mill for TPrince would be a little excessive.

Well, the Pistons have the luxury of having 5 excellent starters. I hope Tay would take less, but I certainly think Joe would pay him $9 millino per.

Prince was EASILY the best player on our team for the first 65 games of this season. He carried us so many different ways. He's probably going to finish 2nd to Radmonovic for Most improved. He's our 2nd best post up threat, and our perimeter stopper. He's worth whatever he gets.

Unclebuck
04-08-2005, 11:54 PM
Would you rather play the Celts with homecourt, the Bulls with homecourt, or the Bulls without homecourt. Those are the only real possibilities

purdue101
04-08-2005, 11:55 PM
why do you think radmonavic is going to get most improved player? his stats and minutes are slightly down from last year.

i give it to wade, stoudemire, or josh howard

pacerwaala
04-08-2005, 11:56 PM
Would you rather play the Celts with homecourt, the Bulls with homecourt, or the Bulls without homecourt. Those are the only real possibilities

Bulls without homecourt - All the pressure is on them, they are inexperienced and we can get a game in Chicago.

Reggie4Three
04-08-2005, 11:57 PM

If we have to play the Bulls, I'd rather them have homecourt. I'm not sure they'd react well the first time one of those home games got tight down the stretch. It's odd because when you have homecourt all the pressure is on you the first two games.

Unclebuck
04-08-2005, 11:58 PM
Bulls without homecourt - All the pressure is on them, they are inexperienced and we can get a game in Chicago.

OK, I can buy your premise. But still woudn't it be better still to have the homecourt, that does not mean the Pacers won't still win a game in Chicago

pacerwaala
04-08-2005, 11:59 PM
OK, I can buy your premise. But still woudn't it be better still to have the homecourt, that does not mean the Pacers won't still win a game in Chicago

True for really good teams. Not when we are a team that cannot afford to make any mistakes.

Anthem
04-09-2005, 12:00 AM

Still possible that the Celts could have homecourt in the first round.

We'd all rather have homecourt, so the only question is whether we'd rather play the Celts or Bulls. I think I'd rather take the Celts, personally.

indytoad
04-09-2005, 12:01 AM
I dunno if you guys have noticed, but the Bulls don't exactly play like a young, inexperienced team (see: Washington, Cleveland). They're winning games by playing the right way, not with youthful talent. They may be overwhelmed by a team with strong experience at every position, like Detroit, but I don't think our rag-tag assembly of spare parts will pose much of a threat in a playoff atmosphere.

IndyToad
Has a bottle on his head

purdue101
04-09-2005, 12:03 AM
i agree.....the bulls have been on a tear lately and are 9-1 in their last 10. they've beat some quality teams lately and have thumped indy this year. they seem to have a lot of confidence and maturity on that team as of lately too.

boston has kinda topped off since getting walker and look to be in a slump.

Reggie4Three
04-09-2005, 12:03 AM
I dunno if you guys have noticed, but the Bulls don't exactly play like a young, inexperienced team (see: Washington, Cleveland). They're winning games by playing the right way, not with youthful talent. They may be overwhelmed by a team with strong experience at every position, like Detroit, but I don't think our rag-tag assembly of spare parts will pose much of a threat in a playoff atmosphere.

IndyToad
Has a bottle on his head

I'd much rather play the Celtics. But, if we had to play the Bulls, I would like to play the first two games on the road. They have the pressure and if we grab one nobody on that team knows exactly how to respond.

Shade
04-09-2005, 12:36 AM
We should have all learned from last year how little HCA really means. The Pistons and Lakers both made the Finals despite it.

SkipperZ
04-09-2005, 12:56 AM
theres only one reason why i want indiana to take the 6th seed rather than the 4th or the 3rd because frankly, this team should/better beat boston or chicago.

that reason is to get to detroit quicker.

Will Galen
04-09-2005, 01:01 AM
NJ is my sleeper team for next year......i think they are going to be a force. RJ will be back....vince and kidd are gaining chemistry....and that kristic kid is going to be a solid player. i also expect them to get rahim in FA.

They won't be a sleeper next year. Also they have Travis Best!