PDA

View Full Version : Five Pacers to Get Separate Trials on Brawl Charges

Will Galen
04-08-2005, 04:03 PM
http://sports.excite.com/news/04082005/v9876.html

Five Pacers to Get Separate Trials on Brawl Charges
Apr 8, 3:10 PM (ET)

By SARAH KARUSH
ROCHESTER HILLS, Mich. (AP) - Five Indiana Pacers players charged in one of the worst brawls in U.S. sports history will be tried separately.

A judge Friday granted the players' request for separate trials on misdemeanor assault and battery charges so they would not be called as complaining witnesses at the same trial in which they are defendants.

Lawyers for the five - Ron Artest, Jermaine O'Neal, Stephen Jackson, Anthony Johnson and David Harrison - contended there was a risk the players would be called to testify in a way that could be self-incriminating.

Two other defendants, fans William Paulson and John Ackerman, were granted requests that they be tried together, but separately from the other defendants in the case stemming from the Nov. 19 brawl.

Judge Lisa Asadoorian said the two remaining defendants - David Wallace, brother of Pistons center Ben Wallace, and John Green, the fan who prosecutors say sparked the brawl by lobbing a drink that struck Artest - would be tried together. Wallace and Green did not ask for separate trials.

No players or fans facing charges were at Friday's hearing.

The brawl started after Ben Wallace shoved Artest following a hard foul. After they were separated, Artest was doused with the drink, rushed into the stands and began beating a man he thought had thrown it at him. Some teammates joined him in the stands and also fought with fans on the court.

A fan charged with throwing a chair pleaded no contest last month and is expected to be sentenced next month. Three other fans were sentenced to probation on charges of walking on a court or throwing objects.

Ragnar
04-08-2005, 04:12 PM
This is at least the second time this same reporter has gotten her facts wrong. Ron did not rush into the stands and start beating the man he thought threw the drink at him. He confronted the fan he thought did it but did not hit him!!!!!

The first person he hit WAS the idiot who threw the drink and not until that idiot attacked him from behind and started hitting him.

MagicRat
04-08-2005, 04:14 PM
This is at least the second time this same reporter has gotten her facts wrong. Ron did not rush into the stands and start beating the man he thought threw the drink at him. He confronted the fan he thought did it but did not hit him!!!!!

The first person he hit WAS the idiot who threw the drink and not until that idiot attacked him from behind and started hitting him.

Details, details......:rolleyes:

sweabs
04-08-2005, 04:26 PM

Exactly. I find myself explaining this to most people as well. His first punch does not come until AFTER Greene hits him from behind. People don't want to recognize those details though. They'll usually just say "Artest was too forceful with the random kid", or something along those lines :laugh:

I appreciate you bringing this up though...save me from doing it time after time :)

Ragnar
04-08-2005, 04:38 PM
I wish the AP would provide email links for their reporters. They are the most inaccurate bunch of mediots in the world. Of course thats probably why they dont.

DisplacedKnick
04-08-2005, 04:39 PM

Nope - he grabbed him by the neck, held him down and started screaming at him.

I guess that's better ...

Destined4Greatness
04-08-2005, 04:40 PM
Since when does Yelling=Beating. But hey this is a which hunt no time for details.

Stryder
04-08-2005, 04:41 PM

It is a helluva lot better than reporting the following...

"After they were separated, Artest was doused with the drink, rushed into the stands and began beating a man he thought had thrown it at him."

Totally inaccurate.

Ragnar
04-08-2005, 04:42 PM

I heard an interview with the kid on the radio while I was in Detroit a few days after the brawl. He said Ron tripped and thats why they went down. He said ron was yelling at him are you the one are you the one. Then Jack jumped in they got hit with more beer and Jack punched the moron who threw that beer. Green then jumped in and started hitting Ron from behind.

The kid said he was afraid but that HE HAD MADE A THROWING MOTION AT RON AND WAS CELEBRATING RON GETTING HIT and thats probably why Ron thought he did it.

And yes it is better than beating the crap out of him. If I had a choice I would take the yelling over the punching.

shags
04-08-2005, 04:45 PM

And that makes what Artest did okay, too. Let's not forget that.

Since86
04-08-2005, 04:45 PM

Atleast that's closer to being factual, but still not quite what happened.

DisplacedKnick
04-08-2005, 04:46 PM
It is a helluva lot better than reporting the following...

"After they were separated, Artest was doused with the drink, rushed into the stands and began beating a man he thought had thrown it at him."

Totally inaccurate.

Oh, I agree - it should probably have read: "After they were separated, Artest was doused with the drink, rushed into the stands and assaulted a man he thought had thrown it at him."

Since86
04-08-2005, 04:50 PM
You'd think for being long time members on the board, you'd be a little more sensitive when talking about a well known sensitive topic......

Since86
04-08-2005, 04:52 PM
Oh, I agree - it should probably have read: "After they were separated, Artest was doused with the drink, rushed into the stands and assaulted a man he thought had thrown it at him."

It's allegedly assualted. That's why they're going to trial.

Remeber, innocent until proven guilty. ;)

Destined4Greatness
04-08-2005, 04:54 PM

innocent till proven guilty what are you talking about this is a witch hunt. Its guitly until proven even more guilty.

DisplacedKnick
04-08-2005, 04:56 PM

True. Though anyone expecting reporters to be factually accurate haven't been around reporters much. Face it - if any of us had to put together a report to the boss and tried to operate based on the same standards that reporters do (basically they can say anything as long as they didn't intentionally get it wrong, and it wasn't for malicious purposes) we'd get canned on pretty short notice.