PDA

View Full Version : Mark Montieth: Pacers Q&A 04-08-05

Will Galen
04-08-2005, 01:30 PM
http://www.indystar.com/articles/8/025639-4458-116.html

Mark Montieth: Pacers Q&A
Indianapolis Star sports reporter Mark Montieth answers your questions about the Pacers.

April 8, 2005

Question: Will the Pacers have any free agents this summer or next summer? Which of the starters besides Reggie are next on the board for free agency and when is that? (Sean from West Lafayette, Ind.)

Answer: Dale Davis is a free agent this summer. This is the final season of the contract he signed with the Pacers in the summer of 2000, shortly before he was traded to Portland for Jermaine O'Neal. It seems almost a certainty he'll be re-signed, though. He chose to sign with the Pacers instead of Detroit, Cleveland or another team because he wanted to finish his career here.

James Jones and John Edwards also become free agents, although the Pacers have the option to retain them. Austin Croshere can opt out of his contract if he likes, but nobody expects him to do that. He's due to make more than $15 million over the next two seasons and nobody else is going to pay him that much. He's comfortable with the Pacers and isn't likely to want to make a change.

None of the anticipated starters for this season are due for free agency soon. Jermaine O'Neal is signed through 2009-10; Ron Artest through 2008-09, although he can void the last year if he wants; Stephen Jackson through 2009-10; Jamaal Tinsley through 2010-11.

Scot Pollard and Eddie Gill are free agents in the summer of 2006.

Question: I was at the Wizards-Pacers game here in D.C., and I have a question in regards to the flagrant foul called on Jeff Foster. I was sitting on the other side of the stadium, so I wasn t able to see everything that happened, but to me it looked like Steve Blake just flopped and made Foster's hit look worse than it really was. I thought Blake should have been hit with a technical, but I won't even get into how ugly the officiating was for that game.

I was wondering if Foster has any chance of having that flagrant downgraded or having that technical rescinded. I know it's not a big deal, but I do believe both carry a fine and I did think the officials should have just called that a regular foul and called a double technical on both Foster and Blake if they were going to call a technical at all. (Adam from Reston, Va.)

Answer: Foster received a technical foul for that play, but not a flagrant. Mike Wells, who covered the game for us, said Foster got the technical for adding a little shove to Blake after their contact. I don't see the NBA rescinding that, although I've sent an e-mail to inquire. We'll report it if it is rescinded.

Question: With Dale Davis's recent starts at the 5 spot, do you see him starting at center when Jermaine O'Neal comes back from injury? (Ryan from Shelbyville, Ind.)

Answer: I think that's quite possible. If you had asked me that question at the time of the trade, I would have said Foster would start and Davis would come off the bench. Now I can see Davis starting and Foster coming off the bench, since both are already doing that.

Rick Carlisle, however, will make his decision based on the overall chemistry of each lineup -- the starters and the reserves. Foster and Davis are so similar in their styles of play that I don't think it would matter that much.

Question: I know I speak for lots of other Pacer fans by stating the obvious here, and asking you this question: The Pacers seem to be playing excellent "team basketball" without the services of Ron Artest, Jermaine O'Neal and Jamaal Tinsley. I understand the underdog mentality and the "it's us against the world" thing, but is it more than that?

If I can see it, then Donnie Walsh, Larry Bird and Rick Carlisle HAVE to be seeing it! Maybe we really don't need all three of these "team stars" after all? Don't you think there must be some thought being directed toward this situation "upstairs"? Hopefully, the aforementioned "stars" are taking note of what's happening as well. (Steve from Fortville, Ind.)

Answer: I'm sure the front office has noticed the recent play. It's important, however, to point out that most of the recent wins have come over weak teams, with the exception of the one over Miami. And while this team will make the playoffs, it might not get past the first or second round. Obviously the front office has greater ambitions than that.

The effort and unselfish play have been impressive, but I don't think many people consider Artest, Tinsley or O'Neal to be selfish. It's really a matter of how Carlisle directs the offense. When Artest and O'Neal play, he runs the offense through them around the basket, which leads to others standing and watching. With this lineup there's a need for more movement on the perimeter and more balance, which brings out the best in Reggie Miller, Anthony Johnson and others.

The bottom line, however, is that you can't win a title without having some All-Star caliber players. A team such as the Pacers have now might make for a good story and be fun to watch, but a team like that has never won a championship. The trick is to get All-Star players and get them to play within a team system. The Pacers certainly did that last season when they won 61 games.

If there's a lesson to be learned from the current lineup, it's that the fundamentals of rebounding, setting screens and defending pay off. The injured players should keep that in mind when they return.

Question: I have tickets to the Pacers' regular-season finale on April 20th. Is there a special ceremony planned since it will be Reggie's last regular-season home game? (Matt from Indianapolis)

Answer: Yes, the Pacers will honor Reggie that day. They won't retire his jersey, but they'll do something to pay tribute.

Question: I've been a Reggie Miller fan since he was drafted by the Pacers. I'm interested in purchasing a DVD of his highlights throughout his career. Does anything like that exist or will it? (Tim from Franklin, Tenn.)

Answer: It doesn't exist yet, but it wouldn't be a bad idea for the Pacers to put something together.

Question: What does the future hold for Scot Pollard after this season? I have heard rumors that he will be highly sought because his large contract goes off the books and he would be great for a team that needs a short-term large body. With his health returned to him this year, his hustle plays have really impressed me. Do you think the Pacers will hold on to him? (Mike from Indianapolis)

Answer: Pollard is signed through 2005-06. He might become attractive as a trade target because he'll be in the final year of his contract next season. The Pacers certainly value him, but will have a surplus of centers if they re-sign Dale Davis -- which seems a given. It's possible they could make a deal involving Pollard or one of the other big men.

sweabs
04-08-2005, 01:45 PM
Montieth seems adament that we will successfully re-sign Dale in the offseason...

Damn, I hope he's right.

Anthem
04-08-2005, 01:51 PM
I get no love from Montieth. :cry:

Peck
04-08-2005, 02:06 PM
http://www.indystar.com/articles/8/025639-4458-116.html

Mark Montieth: Pacers Q&A
Indianapolis Star sports reporter Mark Montieth answers your questions about the Pacers.

April 8, 2005

Question: Will the Pacers have any free agents this summer or next summer? Which of the starters besides Reggie are next on the board for free agency and when is that? (Sean from West Lafayette, Ind.)

Answer: Dale Davis is a free agent this summer. This is the final season of the contract he signed with the Pacers in the summer of 2000, shortly before he was traded to Portland for Jermaine O'Neal. It seems almost a certainty he'll be re-signed, though. He chose to sign with the Pacers instead of Detroit, Cleveland or another team because he wanted to finish his career here.

James Jones and John Edwards also become free agents, although the Pacers have the option to retain them. Austin Croshere can opt out of his contract if he likes, but nobody expects him to do that. He's due to make more than $15 million over the next two seasons and nobody else is going to pay him that much. He's comfortable with the Pacers and isn't likely to want to make a change.

None of the anticipated starters for this season are due for free agency soon. Jermaine O'Neal is signed through 2009-10; Ron Artest through 2008-09, although he can void the last year if he wants; Stephen Jackson through 2009-10; Jamaal Tinsley through 2010-11.

Scot Pollard and Eddie Gill are free agents in the summer of 2006.

Question: I was at the Wizards-Pacers game here in D.C., and I have a question in regards to the flagrant foul called on Jeff Foster. I was sitting on the other side of the stadium, so I wasn t able to see everything that happened, but to me it looked like Steve Blake just flopped and made Foster's hit look worse than it really was. I thought Blake should have been hit with a technical, but I won't even get into how ugly the officiating was for that game.

I was wondering if Foster has any chance of having that flagrant downgraded or having that technical rescinded. I know it's not a big deal, but I do believe both carry a fine and I did think the officials should have just called that a regular foul and called a double technical on both Foster and Blake if they were going to call a technical at all. (Adam from Reston, Va.)

Answer: Foster received a technical foul for that play, but not a flagrant. Mike Wells, who covered the game for us, said Foster got the technical for adding a little shove to Blake after their contact. I don't see the NBA rescinding that, although I've sent an e-mail to inquire. We'll report it if it is rescinded.

Question: With Dale Davis's recent starts at the 5 spot, do you see him starting at center when Jermaine O'Neal comes back from injury? (Ryan from Shelbyville, Ind.)

Answer: I think that's quite possible. If you had asked me that question at the time of the trade, I would have said Foster would start and Davis would come off the bench. Now I can see Davis starting and Foster coming off the bench, since both are already doing that.

Rick Carlisle, however, will make his decision based on the overall chemistry of each lineup -- the starters and the reserves. Foster and Davis are so similar in their styles of play that I don't think it would matter that much.

Question: I know I speak for lots of other Pacer fans by stating the obvious here, and asking you this question: The Pacers seem to be playing excellent "team basketball" without the services of Ron Artest, Jermaine O'Neal and Jamaal Tinsley. I understand the underdog mentality and the "it's us against the world" thing, but is it more than that?

If I can see it, then Donnie Walsh, Larry Bird and Rick Carlisle HAVE to be seeing it! Maybe we really don't need all three of these "team stars" after all? Don't you think there must be some thought being directed toward this situation "upstairs"? Hopefully, the aforementioned "stars" are taking note of what's happening as well. (Steve from Fortville, Ind.)

Answer: I'm sure the front office has noticed the recent play. It's important, however, to point out that most of the recent wins have come over weak teams, with the exception of the one over Miami. And while this team will make the playoffs, it might not get past the first or second round. Obviously the front office has greater ambitions than that.

The effort and unselfish play have been impressive, but I don't think many people consider Artest, Tinsley or O'Neal to be selfish. It's really a matter of how Carlisle directs the offense. When Artest and O'Neal play, he runs the offense through them around the basket, which leads to others standing and watching. With this lineup there's a need for more movement on the perimeter and more balance, which brings out the best in Reggie Miller, Anthony Johnson and others.

The bottom line, however, is that you can't win a title without having some All-Star caliber players. A team such as the Pacers have now might make for a good story and be fun to watch, but a team like that has never won a championship. The trick is to get All-Star players and get them to play within a team system. The Pacers certainly did that last season when they won 61 games.

If there's a lesson to be learned from the current lineup, it's that the fundamentals of rebounding, setting screens and defending pay off. The injured players should keep that in mind when they return.

Question: I have tickets to the Pacers' regular-season finale on April 20th. Is there a special ceremony planned since it will be Reggie's last regular-season home game? (Matt from Indianapolis)

Answer: Yes, the Pacers will honor Reggie that day. They won't retire his jersey, but they'll do something to pay tribute.

Question: I've been a Reggie Miller fan since he was drafted by the Pacers. I'm interested in purchasing a DVD of his highlights throughout his career. Does anything like that exist or will it? (Tim from Franklin, Tenn.)

Answer: It doesn't exist yet, but it wouldn't be a bad idea for the Pacers to put something together.

Question: What does the future hold for Scot Pollard after this season? I have heard rumors that he will be highly sought because his large contract goes off the books and he would be great for a team that needs a short-term large body. With his health returned to him this year, his hustle plays have really impressed me. Do you think the Pacers will hold on to him? (Mike from Indianapolis)

Answer: Pollard is signed through 2005-06. He might become attractive as a trade target because he'll be in the final year of his contract next season. The Pacers certainly value him, but will have a surplus of centers if they re-sign Dale Davis -- which seems a given. It's possible they could make a deal involving Pollard or one of the other big men.

Man, I couldn't disagree more with :montieth: on this.

The only thing that Foster & Davis have in common is that neither of them are good shooters. Other than that I have no idea what he is talking about.

If he can't see the differance in defense between the two then I am so glad he no longer covers the team.

Bball
04-08-2005, 02:17 PM
Man, I couldn't disagree more with :montieth: on this.

The only thing that Foster & Davis have in common is that neither of them are good shooters. Other than that I have no idea what he is talking about.

If he can't see the differance in defense between the two then I am so glad he no longer covers the team.

That is pretty scary to think that someone covering an NBA basketball team could not see something as obvious as that.

-Bball

beast23
04-08-2005, 04:51 PM
As obvious as what?

ChicagoJ
04-08-2005, 06:02 PM
Va, *ahem Adam*, you're going to get "Jared from Bloomington" status soon.

Hey - didn't Jared show up here once, or is he even a regular now?

Bball
04-09-2005, 12:49 AM
As obvious as what?

:bunny:

Foster and Davis are similar in their styles of play so much so that it doesn't matter which one starts?

-Bball

Anthem
04-09-2005, 02:17 AM
Montieth can be kind of slow sometimes, huh?

You think he still watches the games, now that he's not the beat writer? Or is he taking a page from :badger:?

Unclebuck
04-09-2005, 10:38 AM
First, Montieth said it does not matter much. He did not say it does not matter at all. My sense is if you ask MM if Jeff and Dale are different type of defensive players he would clearly agree. But to say that Jeff and Dale are similar in their overall style of play is not a wrong statement. They are similar to a degree.

Of course I could make a list of 20 areas where they are different, but in general they are similar.

In general Jeff, Pollard and Dale are similar.

Bball
04-09-2005, 11:09 AM
First, Montieth said it does not matter much. He did not say it does not matter at all. My sense is if you ask MM if Jeff and Dale are different type of defensive players he would clearly agree. But to say that Jeff and Dale are similar in their overall style of play is not a wrong statement. They are similar to a degree.

Of course I could make a list of 20 areas where they are different, but in general they are similar.

In general Jeff, Pollard and Dale are similar.

I guess it depends on your definition of "similar"
Especially when used with the word "so"... as in: "so similar"
:shrug:

-BBall

Unclebuck
04-09-2005, 11:17 AM
I guess it depends on your definition of "similar"
Especially when used with the word "so"... as in: "so similar"
:shrug:

-BBall

Well, besides Pollard who else on the team is as similar to Dale as Jeff. We have to remember that even the average die-hard fan, who might read MM Q&A, does not desect things like we all do.

wintermute
04-09-2005, 11:55 AM
Sorry, Im slow.

Who is "Jared from Bloomington"?

wasn't that Justin from Bloomington?

anyway, it was some guy who kept getting his question answered by mm in the q&a, enough that other people who sent in questions (but didn't get answered) got upset about it.