PDA

View Full Version : Holy Crap Reggie just said Stern

Peck
04-08-2005, 01:56 AM
had a Napoleon complex!!!!!!!!!!!

Good interview with Reggie by John Thompson. The one thing that I took away from this interview was seeing how young Reggie still looks in the face.

The guy has a full head of hair & is not all wrinkled up. I remember Dr. J. at 39 & he looked like an old man. Reggie looks pretty good for an old codger.

Even in his interviews he is defering to Jermaine to much. :devil:

I think Charles was right about one thing but wrong about another. Reggie has handled being the second & third fiddle very well. But I think he is forgetting about David Robinson who definately took a willing back seat to Tim Duncan.

But one thing that I think I will go ahead & say is this. I think Reggie is playing better at his age on a more consistant basis than any other star player I've ever seen, including Jordan.

Don't get me wrong M.J. could still bring his game on nights but night in & night out he couldn't do it.

Also Reggie hasn't lost that much. M.J. definately wasn't the same player at this age as he was at 29. Reggie for the past 17 games is the same Reggie as he was at 29.

Reggie has deferred to much.

SoupIsGood
04-08-2005, 02:04 AM
Something hit me during that interview. As much as he drives me crazy, and much as I hate his antics...

I miss watching Ron play.

aceace
04-08-2005, 02:47 AM
IMHO: I think Reggie,Ron and others thought that Ron would get a chance this year if he accomplished certain things, which he did. Instead they got the big backstabbing from Hitler .... I mean Stern. The media is baiting Reggie because they know how pissed the Pacers are.

3ptmiller
04-08-2005, 03:27 AM

Good interview with Reggie by John Thompson. The one thing that I took away from this interview was seeing how young Reggie still looks in the face.

The guy has a full head of hair & is not all wrinkled up. I remember Dr. J. at 39 & he looked like an old man. Reggie looks pretty good for an old codger.

I think Charles was right about one thing but wrong about another. Reggie has handled being the second & third fiddle very well. But I think he is forgetting about David Robinson who definately took a willing back seat to Tim Duncan.

But one thing that I think I will go ahead & say is this. I think Reggie is playing better at his age on a more consistant basis than any other star player I've ever seen, including Jordan.

Don't get me wrong M.J. could still bring his game on nights but night in & night out he couldn't do it.

Also Reggie hasn't lost that much. M.J. definately wasn't the same player at this age as he was at 29. Reggie for the past 17 games is the same Reggie as he was at 29.

WORD UP!

Ragnar
04-08-2005, 08:33 AM
Damnit how did I not know about this interview. I watched some of the spurs game but it was terrible so I switched over to the Knicks/Nets game and it was just as bad. I thought about trying to watch the Lakers game but they have been eliminated so why bother.

I dont supose anyone taped it?

Hicks
04-08-2005, 09:12 AM

Now I'm curious to see how the officiating is the rest of the season. It's been decent most of the time lately, but what if it suddenly becomes consistently questionable?

ABADays
04-08-2005, 09:25 AM
Must have been reading the forum.

MagicRat
04-08-2005, 09:33 AM
I dont supose anyone taped it?

Taped? Never.......:-p

But I may have it in some form. I'll see if I can get it posted tonight.......

Anthem
04-08-2005, 12:00 PM
IMHO: I think Reggie,Ron and others thought that Ron would get a chance this year if he accomplished certain things, which he did. Instead they got the big backstabbing from Hitler .... I mean Stern. The media is baiting Reggie because they know how pissed the Pacers are.

Yeah, that really sounds about right. The first part anyway.

I can't imagine Reggie being baited. I think he's pissed at Stern and doing this intentionally.

Arcadian
04-08-2005, 12:04 PM
I don't think at this point in Reggie's career he cares if Stern fines him or not.

Bball
04-08-2005, 12:16 PM
I don't think at this point in Reggie's career he cares if Stern fines him or not.

Maybe Stern will suspend him either for or thru April 20th?

I'm joking.... sorta...

-Bball

dannyboy
04-08-2005, 12:37 PM
This is Q&A from a chat with Stern currently being conducted on ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/index

Jason Denver
How do you feel about Reggie Millers judge jury and executioner comments last night regarding the Ron Artest Suspension.

NBA COMM. DAVID STERN
Actually, discipline is the least favorite part of my job. But while the responsibility has been given to me by both the NBA Consitution and Bylaws and Collective Bargaining Agreement, it would be cowardly of me not to excercise it for the benefit of our fans and our game. Someone is always going to be unhappy with a disciplinary decision, and in the recent case, both and arbitrator and judge reviewed my decision with respect to Ron Artest and upheld it. That hardly makes me a judge, jury and executioner. But I appreciate Reggie's frustration, particularly as he ends a glorious career with a team that is weakened because his teammates were not able to excercise the restraint that fans can fairly expect from NBA players.

dannyboy
04-08-2005, 12:42 PM
Another Pacer related question:

Kyle (Plainfield, Indiana)
To my knowlege, you have yet to address publicly the issue of the bomb scare at the Pacers-Pistons game on March 25. My question is, was the league really going to force the Pacers to forfeit if they didn't play, and how could you justify that?

NBA COMM. DAVID STERN
I was out of the loop on that evening, but clearly if an arena is deemed safe for 22,000 fans and both teams, then the game should go on and a team refusing to play under those circumstances, would face appropriate sanctions which undoubtedly would include forfeit.

Mourning
04-08-2005, 12:47 PM
But I appreciate Reggie's frustration, particularly as he ends a glorious career with a team that is weakened because his teammates were not able to excercise the restraint that fans can fairly expect from NBA players.

Like the fans and players of Detroit??! Just shut up! You *****! :mad:

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Jermaniac
04-08-2005, 12:56 PM
**** Stern

Anthem
04-08-2005, 12:56 PM
I've now changed my mind completely on this season.

I want a freaking championship run. And not even for the championship.

I want Stern to have to come into our building. And I want every fan to be able to express their opinion.

I'd buy tickets for that game, even if there was no game. I'd pay full price just to sit with 17,000 Pacer fans and know that Stern was at center court.

indygeezer
04-08-2005, 01:01 PM
He wouldn't come.

3ptmiller
04-08-2005, 01:18 PM
Im sorry admins for using this word.. you can delete this post later.. *you're right, we don't condone using someone's sexuality as an insult*

Lord Helmet
04-08-2005, 01:27 PM
Yeah, Stern's pretty happy about screwing the Pacers....

Evan_The_Dude
04-08-2005, 01:33 PM
Like the fans and players of Detroit??! Just shut up! You *****! :mad:

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

I was just gonna say the same thing! CLEARLY he only has the fans back and not the players. Stern is the only one that has come out of the brawl situation and learned absolutely NOTHING from it!

Evan_The_Dude
04-08-2005, 01:36 PM
I've now changed my mind completely on this season.

I want a freaking championship run. And not even for the championship.

I want Stern to have to come into our building. And I want every fan to be able to express their opinion.

I'd buy tickets for that game, even if there was no game. I'd pay full price just to sit with 17,000 Pacer fans and know that Stern was at center court.

So far I seem to be the only one to believe that it can actually happen, but I'll fly cross country to be there if it does!

A-Train
04-08-2005, 01:43 PM
*removed*

Is that supposed to be a put down?

PacerMan
04-08-2005, 04:56 PM
This is Q&A from a chat with Stern currently being conducted on ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/index

Jason Denver
How do you feel about Reggie Millers judge jury and executioner comments last night regarding the Ron Artest Suspension.

NBA COMM. DAVID STERN
Actually, discipline is the least favorite part of my job. But while the responsibility has been given to me by both the NBA Consitution and Bylaws and Collective Bargaining Agreement, it would be cowardly of me not to excercise it for the benefit of our fans and our game. Someone is always going to be unhappy with a disciplinary decision, and in the recent case, both and arbitrator and judge reviewed my decision with respect to Ron Artest and upheld it. That hardly makes me a judge, jury and executioner. But I appreciate Reggie's frustration, particularly as he ends a glorious career with a team that is weakened because his teammates were not able to excercise the restraint that fans can fairly expect from NBA players.

"But I appreciate Reggie's frustration, particularly as he ends a glorious career with a team that is weakened because his teammates were not able to excercise the restraint that fans can fairly expect from NBA players."

Incredibly well said.

Natston
04-08-2005, 05:17 PM
But I appreciate Reggie's frustration, particularly as he ends a glorious career with a team that is weakened because his teammates were not able to excercise the restraint that Detroit Piston fans can fairly expect from NBA players, when they throw crap at the players when their team is getting whipped like red headed step children.

:censored:

Anthem
04-08-2005, 05:34 PM
"But I appreciate Reggie's frustration, particularly as he ends a glorious career with a team that is weakened because his teammates were not able to excercise the restraint that fans can fairly expect from NBA players."

Incredibly well said.

Well, except for the obvious. Reggie's not frustrated at Ron, he's frustrated at Stern. Why do you think that is?

As pretty much everybody under the sun has said, it looks like Stern said "Do this and you can come back for the playoffs" but he changed his mind. This news evidently hit the Pacers just before the Detroit game / bomb thread. Reggie's apparently pretty pissed at the double standard (he's used every recent media opportunity to criticize our Napolean), and I'm not sure I blame him.

shags
04-08-2005, 05:47 PM
Well, except for the obvious. Reggie's not frustrated at Ron, he's frustrated at Stern. Why do you think that is?

As pretty much everybody under the sun has said, it looks like Stern said "Do this and you can come back for the playoffs" but he changed his mind. This news evidently hit the Pacers just before the Detroit game / bomb thread. Reggie's apparently pretty pissed at the double standard (he's used every recent media opportunity to criticize our Napolean), and I'm not sure I blame him.

And that was Stern's second biggest mistake (after not punishing the Pistons organization).

After the independent arbitrator upheld Stern's suspensions, he should have just said "Artest is done for the season, including the playoffs. No ifs, ands, or buts about it."

PacersFan
04-08-2005, 05:51 PM
I'm really glad Reggie's stating his opinion because I'm sure he knows Stern can't suspend him now and risk a PR disaster. Reggie is a legend and his opinion is respected throughout the NBA.

Hoop
04-08-2005, 05:56 PM
I have the whole interview on TIVO, I can capture, save and upload if everyone wants it.

PHC Fan
04-08-2005, 05:59 PM
I have the whole interview on TIVO, I can capture, save and upload if everyone wants it.
Uhhhhh, yeah!!!!

Hicks
04-08-2005, 06:13 PM
Im not sure I agree with that. Indianaian's may love his game, but Im not so sure hes that well respected outside out the state of Indiana.

Just use Hoosiers. (No apostrophe, in this case) It's easier, and doesn't look like a typo. ;)

Anthem
04-08-2005, 06:14 PM
And that was Stern's second biggest mistake (after not punishing the Pistons organization).

After the independent arbitrator upheld Stern's suspensions, he should have just said "Artest is done for the season, including the playoffs. No ifs, ands, or buts about it."

Agree completely. Well, I actually think he should have let Ron come back for the playoffs at least. But if he was going to uphold that suspension, he shouldn't have strung along the Pacers organization.

I'm curious as to what punishments you thought would be appropriate for the Pistons organization.

To be honest, even if no real punishments had come down, even the acknowlegement by Stern that the Pistons didn't have enough security to control their fans would have (almost) been enough for me. Or if Larry/owner or Sheed/Ben would have STFUed immediately after. What really pissed me off the most was that the Pacers played the game like it's supposed to be played... they kept their people in line, didn't make public statements, didn't allow any of their people to make statements, etc. Allowing Ben (whose brother was instrumental in instigating the brawl, in addition to cheap-shotting Freddy) and Sheed (who was, what, 18 months away from threatening the life of a referee because he didn't like a call?) to make a bunch of sanctimonius statements is what REALLY pushed my buttons.

ReggieMiller8325
04-08-2005, 06:17 PM
Good Job Reggie.

Anthem
04-08-2005, 06:18 PM
Just use Hoosiers. (No apostrophe, in this case) It's easier, and doesn't look like a typo. ;)
:nod:

One of my favorites:
http://angryflower.com/aposter3.jpg

A-Train
04-08-2005, 06:41 PM
Im not sure I agree with that. Indianaian's may love his game, but Im not so sure hes that well respected outside out the state of Indiana.

Reggie is a consensus Hall of Famer. I believe he's very much respected outside the state of Indiana.

shags
04-08-2005, 06:49 PM
Agree completely. Well, I actually think he should have let Ron come back for the playoffs at least. But if he was going to uphold that suspension, he shouldn't have strung along the Pacers organization.

I'm curious as to what punishments you thought would be appropriate for the Pistons organization.

To be honest, even if no real punishments had come down, even the acknowlegement by Stern that the Pistons didn't have enough security to control their fans would have (almost) been enough for me. Or if Larry/owner or Sheed/Ben would have STFUed immediately after. What really pissed me off the most was that the Pacers played the game like it's supposed to be played... they kept their people in line, didn't make public statements, didn't allow any of their people to make statements, etc. Allowing Ben (whose brother was instrumental in instigating the brawl, in addition to cheap-shotting Freddy) and Sheed (who was, what, 18 months away from threatening the life of a referee because he didn't like a call?) to make a bunch of sanctimonius statements is what REALLY pushed my buttons.

$5 million fine.

No alcohol sold at the March Pacer-Piston game at the Palace, or any potential Pacer-Piston playoff games at the Palace.

That's what I think should have been done.

Arcadian
04-08-2005, 07:29 PM
For a person with power Stern should have left out the last line about understanding Reggies frustration. Stern was saying don't be mad at me be mad at Ron. He didn't really mean he understood why Reggie was frustrated. When a boss does that he is being patronizing and taking a cheap shot.

If you want to have a committee of one making decisions take the heat for that process. Stern should have had a more profesional response in listening to complaints from those whose lives his decions effect.

Sollozzo
04-08-2005, 07:36 PM

I would like to point out that MJ averaged 20 points in 2002-2003 and played in all 82 of the Wizards games at the age of 39-40, so I would say that he "brought it" just as much as Reggie. To average 20 points as a 39-40 year old as MJ did is nothing short of remarkable.

I pretty much agree with everything you said. Reggie never lost it, he just got way too passive.

ABADays
04-08-2005, 07:36 PM

Excuse me? You go around anywhere in the NBA and say Reggie - they know exactly who you are talking about.

Anthem
04-08-2005, 07:42 PM
$5 million fine.

No alcohol sold at the March Pacer-Piston game at the Palace, or any potential Pacer-Piston playoff games at the Palace.

That's what I think should have been done.

I could have gone with that.

pacerwaala
04-08-2005, 07:51 PM
Dont get me wrong.

Everybody knows who he is, and he is loved.

I just dont think he has that same "respect" that other stars get.

Thats just my opinion from living in several different states and different countries throughout my life.

vapacersfan

I have been to 5 different arenas and fans do respect him. Probably in the initial part of his career he did not get any respect but from 1994. its been onwards and upwards in the "respect for Reggie" aspect.

sweabs
04-08-2005, 08:09 PM
Not that it's worth much, but I'll chime in here as well. I disagree with VA...I think Reggie is widely-respected across the world. In different states, and different countries.

People respect his game: the ability to be a small, skinny shooting guard and average over 20 ppg in the NBA across 18 seasons is nothing short of remarkable...and people realize that. The ability to shoot clutch shots, in big-time games, is a tremendous skill...and people realize that.

Hell, just look at this message board. We have people from all across the world, in different countries who, for many, began to watch the Pacers because of their respect for Reggie Miller's game.

My best friend is a Knicks fan, and he has just as much respect for Reggie Miller as anyone. To say he doesn't get that same "respect" as other stars is crazy. The New York crowd didn't chant "Reggie" for nothing.

sweabs
04-08-2005, 08:28 PM
Well, I suppose if you are equating respect with marketing value...sure. Perhaps for the younger generation...and by that, I'm referring to children (in the ranges of 10-13 years old). However, I'd like to believe that by the time a person reaches the age of 13 or more, they can formulate an opinion for themself. And I would hope that they could see beyond the image presented on the outside (who is saying it), and instead focus on what is being said.

Anthem
04-08-2005, 08:30 PM
However, I'd like to believe that by the time a person reaches the age of 13 or more, they can formulate an opinion for themself.

Sure, we'd love to believe that. But if that's true, how do you explain Sportscenter?

sweabs
04-08-2005, 08:35 PM
Sure, we'd love to believe that. But if that's true, how do you explain Sportscenter?

Okay...how about instead of saying age 13, we go with a high school education?

Anthem
04-08-2005, 08:47 PM
The problem is, the older people get, the more they get used to taking other people's opinions (and 2-second video clips) as fact.

kerosene
04-09-2005, 05:31 PM
big fine + empty arena game for the 2nd game at the palace. refunds for ticketholders perhaps.

Hoop
04-10-2005, 02:42 AM

I have the video done now, it's 11.6MB. I'll upload it to Able if people still want to see it. If it's OK with Able.

able
04-10-2005, 06:48 AM
go for it :)

Hoop
04-10-2005, 07:15 PM
go for it :)

It's uploaded.