PDA

View Full Version : Fox Sports

Old as Dirt
04-07-2005, 09:44 PM
Don't know if has been posted but here it is wonder if there is any truth to it?
3. Ron Artest, SF, Pacers. No matter what the Pacers say, word is they want to move Artest. Still, it's tough to let go of an All-Star with a bargain contract. The Knicks would be thrilled to get him, but, like everyone, they'll have to be creative to offer the Pacers anything close to fair value.

Los Angeles
04-07-2005, 09:47 PM
I'm going to hide now, before this thread goes where threads on this subject inevitably go.

*assumes fetal position in closet*

ReggieMiller8325
04-07-2005, 09:50 PM
This is going to get Ugly.

Kegboy
04-07-2005, 09:51 PM
I'll be very interested in who picks up Spree. Whomever does deserves to be fired.

Lord Helmet
04-07-2005, 09:56 PM
Is this recent?

sweabs
04-07-2005, 10:21 PM
Well, really that's nothing new.

Larry has basically said they would only trade him if they get a top-10 player back in return. Realistically, I don't think anyone here forsees another team offering a top-10 player in return for Artest; which means we're going to hold onto him.

Whether you 'haters' like it or not...go drive in your mini-van you lovebirds :devil:

Can't wait for next year's lineup.

Hicks
04-07-2005, 10:25 PM
*steps back as everyone's head explodes*

Indiana trades: SF Jonathan Bender
SF Ron Artest
Indiana receives: SF Tim Thomas

New York trades: SF Tim Thomas
New York receives: SF Jonathan Bender
SF Ron Artest

TRADE ACCEPTED

I'm not advocating it, but I could see it happening.

ReggieMiller8325
04-07-2005, 10:28 PM
two words hicks to that trade. HELL NO!

Stryder
04-07-2005, 10:49 PM

SF Ron Artest

SF Ron Artest

TRADE ACCEPTED

Why? Oh why would someone pull the trigger on that horrific piece of horse crap?

SoupIsGood
04-07-2005, 10:51 PM

SF Ron Artest

SF Ron Artest

TRADE ACCEPTED

I could see it happening if Rick thought he could motivate Thomas to actually making a player out of himself. However, that's a bigger risk than keeping Ron.

Edit- That trade would very close to worth pulling the trigger on if the Knicks gave us all the draft picks they have stockpiled. :devil:

SoupIsGood
04-07-2005, 10:52 PM
This is going to get Ugly.

I have never met this Ugly, when are they going to go get him?

3Ball
04-07-2005, 10:59 PM
I never do this, so, why not put 2 and 2 together:

Indiana trades: SF Ron Artest (24.6 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 3.1 apg in 41.6 minutes)
PF Austin Croshere (9.1 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 1.5 apg in 25.7 minutes)
Indiana receives: PG Chucky Atkins (13.7 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 4.3 apg in 35.7 minutes)
PF Lamar Odom (15.2 ppg, 10.2 rpg, 3.7 apg in 36.3 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -4.8 ppg, +1.1 rpg, and +3.4 apg.

L.A. Lakers trades: PG Chucky Atkins (13.7 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 4.3 apg in 35.7 minutes)
PF Lamar Odom (15.2 ppg, 10.2 rpg, 3.7 apg in 36.3 minutes)
L.A. Lakers receives: SF Ron Artest (24.6 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 3.1 apg in 41.6 minutes)
PF Austin Croshere (9.1 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 1.5 apg in 25.7 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +4.8 ppg, -1.1 rpg, and -3.4 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Indiana and L.A. Lakers being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Indiana and L.A. Lakers had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

3Ball
04-07-2005, 11:00 PM
That said, I'd never really want to do this.

rel
04-07-2005, 11:02 PM

SF Ron Artest

SF Ron Artest

TRADE ACCEPTED

when he was a buck, i really didn't mind him..but now, im not much of a fan

about that trade...:thumbsdow

Peck
04-07-2005, 11:04 PM
I don't think Ron will go anywhere, but then again we keep hearing this stuff so who knows.

But since I'm always willing to use realgm I present you the following.

SF Jonathan Bender (5.1 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 0.6 apg in 13.3 minutes)
Indiana receives: SF James Posey (8.4 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 1.8 apg in 28.7 minutes)
SG Bonzi Wells (10.8 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 1.3 apg in 22.0 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -10.5 ppg, -0.2 rpg, and -0.6 apg.

Memphis trades: SF James Posey (8.4 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 1.8 apg in 28.7 minutes)
Memphis receives: SF Ron Artest (24.6 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 3.1 apg in 41.6 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +10.5 ppg, +0.2 rpg, and +0.6 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

indygeezer
04-07-2005, 11:25 PM
I don't think Ron will go anywhere, but then again we keep hearing this stuff so who knows.

But since I'm always willing to use realgm I present you the following.

TRADE ACCEPTED

YEah and the guy sitting down in a blue swhirt and moustache is George Irvine, the only guy to ever make Dick Versace look like a quality coach.

skyfire
04-07-2005, 11:30 PM
I desperately want the Pacers to hold onto Ronnie, but if it had to be done i'd take a good long look at the Ron/Bender for Odom/Atkins trade.

It would make us more flexible, less tough, i'm not sure if Atkins would want to become potentially a 3rd PG tho. I cant see LA doing it though, they already have Butler at SF who seems to be able to coexist with Kobe fairly well, no point in adding 2 more SFs. The more I think about it the less I like it...

The Tim Thomas trade is :puke:

Jermaniac
04-07-2005, 11:49 PM

SF Ron Artest

SF Ron Artest

TRADE ACCEPTED

I'm not advocating it, but I could see it happening. I swear I will hunt Larry and DW down if this happens, good God that is horrible. Btown doesnt like Ron at all and would like to see him get traded and even he hates the deal. About the Lakers deal forget that, we shouldnt do the deal unless both Caron Butler and Odom are involved.

Pig Nash
04-08-2005, 12:01 AM
Some of you seem to think that we will get anywhere equal value for Ron Artest. There are multiple reasons we won't but i'll give you two.

1. His contract is too low to deal for anyone close for anyone except Peja and you know how the Kings feel about that.

2. He has the most baggage of any player in the NBA.

clownskull
04-08-2005, 12:06 AM
well, we can forget trades of any kind that involve bender. he is positively untradeable.
while most teams don't like the idea of having artest and his unstable mind- no one wants to take on benders contract since he has played in like 28 games these last 2 years and shows no sighns whatsoever (because of injuries) of ever being worth 1/10th what he is making. hell, even just 3 years ago bender played in something like 31 games- positively durable by bender's standard. no team wants that- not even isiah in n.y.

Hicks
04-08-2005, 09:10 AM
Some of you seem to think that we will get anywhere equal value for Ron Artest. There are multiple reasons we won't but i'll give you two.

1. His contract is too low to deal for anyone close for anyone except Peja and you know how the Kings feel about that.

Yup. That's why I posted the TT one. He's about as much talent as you will get for him now.

Tim
04-08-2005, 11:07 AM
I think Ronnie has one last shot here and will be good next season, but the season after that???

Harmonica
04-08-2005, 11:22 AM
Truth is, no one knows what management will do. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they moved Ron for less than what anyone thinks is equal value—Donnie is good at finding unrealized talent. Although I can see them holding their breath until mid-season next year, then unloading the guy who almost single-handedly destroyed this franchise (that's a risk I personally wouldn't be willing to take). I can't imagine Donnie and Larry are foolish enough to think Ron is a changed man, although I hear he is doing everything that has been asked of him to straighten himself out.

Anthem
04-08-2005, 12:05 PM

Right. Which is why he won't be traded. Larry will let him rot on the bench before he'll trade him to the Knicks.

Anthem
04-08-2005, 12:10 PM
Who's Stan Neal? I'm looking through his archives and realizing several things.

1. He's not primarily a basketball writer.
2. He doesn't have (or claim to have) sources. He just writes his opinion.

I agree with the last part. The Knicks would be thrilled to get him.

Mushmouth
04-08-2005, 12:11 PM

SF Ron Artest

SF Ron Artest

TRADE ACCEPTED

I will absolutely, positively go artest if that happens.

Bball
04-08-2005, 12:23 PM
Right. Which is why he won't be traded. Larry will let him rot on the bench before he'll trade him to the Knicks.

Unless he thought Ron unchanged and would give Isiah even more headaches....

:devil:

-Bball

Anthem
04-08-2005, 12:29 PM
Unless he thought Ron unchanged and would give Isiah even more headaches....

I'd have to be pretty darned sure that he'd never change before I'd trade a franchise player to my worst enemy in return for a guy they'd love to trade just for the cap space.

ChicagoJ
04-08-2005, 12:57 PM

Man, can you see the "quarterback controversy" if that ever happened? Ron's fans would go ape-**** over the idea of watching him rot at the end of the bench. And I don't believe any coach has enough discipline to leave him there if the team isn't on a massive winning streak.

I'd be okay with keeping him if I believed any GM or coach would actually have the discipline to keep him on the end of the bench - in uniform and ready to play but sitting with his teammates, not lounging under the basket like he did in Minnesota - long enough to convince him that he's nothing more than a valuable contributor to a TEAM.

But the NBA (and Rick espeicially) is so short-sighted - since he *can* help win games right now lets not worry about giving him the type of coaching/ guidance that could prevent future blowups and benefit everybody - the team, Ron, Jay's mental health - long-term. Let's just make sure we win today's game and deal with the problems tomorrow. :banghead:

But its hard to blame Rick for a 'win-now' mentality since that's how he keeps his job and continually earns CoY nominations. Heh, there's a lot of reasons why I've lost any sense of 'trust' with this entire situation. I don't trust Ron to behave, I don't trust JO to lead when he and Ron are fighting, and management hasn't proven willing to do anything drastic enough to ensure there are no more incidents. I know people don't want to hear this, but thank God that David Stern was finally tough enough with him that he just might've gotten the help that he needs. I'm just not sure I can take the suspense of waiting to see if its permanent and I'm generally convinced that Ron's only hope for a permanent change is to start over in a new environment anyway. And that new environment doesn't include NYC, if he's traded there its because DW/ Larry know 100% that he's *not* rehabilitated and they're secretly looking forward to watching how his implosion hurts Isiah and the Knicks.

Vicious Tyrant
04-08-2005, 02:26 PM

TRADE ACCEPTED

I don't know why this didn't get more response - maybe because of the awful thought of Bonzi playing on our team. But Artest for Posey makes the most sense of any of this to me.

As I see Posey, he is a poor man's Artest - AND he's a poor man's Odom. An excellent defender, and and excellent passer, point-forward kind of player.

I don't have a clue in heaven if West would go for it, but Artest for Posey works (at least it did last time I tried it). I think that's the best possibility out there for Larry to explore.

The Odom/Atkins deal is tempting, but not tempting enough, and the Thomas deal makes me queasy like a burrito at La Bamba's at 11am on a Saturday morning with a hangover.

Mourning
04-08-2005, 02:37 PM
I don't know why this didn't get more response - maybe because of the awful thought of Bonzi playing on our team. But Artest for Posey makes the most sense of any of this to me.

As I see Posey, he is a poor man's Artest - AND he's a poor man's Odom. An excellent defender, and and excellent passer, point-forward kind of player.

I don't have a clue in heaven if West would go for it, but Artest for Posey works (at least it did last time I tried it). I think that's the best possibility out there for Larry to explore.

The Odom/Atkins deal is tempting, but not tempting enough, and the Thomas deal makes me queasy like a burrito at La Bamba's at 11am on a Saturday morning with a hangover.

I would go for the Odom Atkins deal, no way IN HELL do I want Bonzi Wells OR Tim Thomas on my team. One of those moves would definitely make it a lot harder for me to remain a fan of this team.

Posey is "OK", but I think going from "not getting equal value" to "FARRRRR beneath equal value" is one leap to far from me. Maybe, it's realistic, I don't know, neither do any of you guys, but this sort of move would ruin my good state of mind for quite sometime. Only way I would be willing to accept a thing like this is IF we get a GOOD first rounder back this year, one which Memphis is normally not going to get. Otherwise ... NO!!! ;)

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Vicious Tyrant
04-08-2005, 08:15 PM
Mourning, I'm with you on Bonzi and Thomas, but I have this idea that a trade for Posey could lead to a "Less-is-more" kind of situation. Clearly, you're going to lose SOME defense and you're going to lose about 15 ppg (plus or minus) - but I think you might see some other players looking a lot better with someone like Posey in the line up.

Clearly you're right - we don't really know. But I think in specualation-land, this would be a great trade. OK, make that a good trade.

Anthem
04-08-2005, 08:19 PM
Posey's a nice player, but in trade for Ron Artest? Get real.

3ptmiller
04-08-2005, 09:10 PM
Don't know if has been posted but here it is wonder if there is any truth to it?
3. Ron Artest, SF, Pacers. No matter what the Pacers say, word is they want to move Artest. Still, it's tough to let go of an All-Star with a bargain contract. The Knicks would be thrilled to get him, but, like everyone, they'll have to be creative to offer the Pacers anything close to fair value.

I dunno, i hope not! :(

indytoad
04-08-2005, 11:56 PM
I think with Ron's long history of mental instability, Posey would be about the best we could do, talent-wise. And I doubt even that - I don't think West is the kinda guy that'd want much with to do with Artest.

I don't think that Posey would be as bad a consolation prize as everyone else here seems to think. I bet he'd help chemistry quite a bit and there's not a 75% chance of lengthy suspensions hanging over his head all the time. You'd know what you were getting most of the time. I'd go for it, definately.

IndyToad
Has rims that play mp3s

Anthem
04-09-2005, 12:19 AM
I think with Ron's long history of mental instability, Posey would be about the best we could do, talent-wise.

Which, coming from you, either means we're about to trade him for Shaq or he's become the most emotionally stable person in the midwest.

I'm not sure what I'd prefer.

indytoad
04-09-2005, 12:22 AM
Which, coming from you, either means we're about to trade him for Shaq or he's become the most emotionally stable person in the midwest.

I'm not sure what I'd prefer.

You can thank me later.

;)

IndyToad
Works at the nunchaku factory

Shade
04-09-2005, 12:35 AM
Ron isn't going anywhere. Get over it. :tongue:

PacerMan
04-09-2005, 12:51 AM

If they dump one headcase (Artest) they sure as h*ll aren't going to take back another one............

Jermaniac
04-09-2005, 01:15 AM
I know why would we trade Ron for Bonzi? Bonzi isnt really a guy with a Tim Duncan type attitude either.

DisplacedKnick
04-09-2005, 09:02 AM
Well what you do with TT is:

Trade for him.

Put him on the IL.

Wait for next February and use his expiring salary close to the trade deadline for something you DO need.

Meanwhile Jon Bender goes to NY where he meets the medical staff who misdiagnosed:

Larry Johnson
Antonio McDyess
Allan Houston

He'd be lucky if his leg didn't fall off.

BTW - No way does that deal happen. The Posey trade would make much more sense except Posey had a lot of injury trouble this season. What would have made more sense for the Pacers with the Knicks would have been Artest for KT. Artest is a much better player but KT is certainly serviceable and fills a need for a post defender and rebounder who can step out and hit a 15-18 ft J when teams double JO.

Or that was a need until you got DD - now it isn't unless Davis doesn't re-sign with the Pacers this summer for some reason.

Mourning
04-09-2005, 11:07 AM
Maybe some sort of trade with Phoenix (Marion) or a sign and trade with again Phoenix (Joe Johnson, but WHAT would they do with 2 all star calibre SFs???) or Toronto (Marshall) is possible?

Anyhow, I'm not in favour of dealing him. In the past years we have lost quality at C with Brad Miller gone, now we are about to lose Reggie and we are going to lose a lot of quality at SF if Artest should go. And there is only so much growth in our young players can do. IF I would trade him, I would take the risk of the coming season and do it next summer.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

slyder
04-10-2005, 12:42 AM
[QUOTE=kingfrog]well, we can forget trades of any kind that involve bender. he is positively untradeable.

absoulutely right
they'll keep him, hope for a mildly productive season
next year and try to move him before all-star break.

good luck.