PDA

View Full Version : Welcome back the Pacers Defense!

naptownmenace
04-07-2005, 10:52 AM
As I was reading the Notes & Quotes page from last night's game on Pacers.com, this little factoid immediately caught my attention:

The Pacers' defensive average is now 92.5 ppg for the season--fifth lowest in the NBA and second lowest in the Eastern Conference.

I remember, around the mid-point of the season, the Pacers were somewhere around 16th in points allowed. The fact that they have been able to move up to 5th is astounding!

Who are the four teams ahead of them?

1. San Antonio - 87.1
2. Detroit - 89.9
3. Memphis - 90.5
4. Houston - 91.2

Only Detroit is better in the East but Miami isn't far behind at #8 (95.1 allowed).

Still, this is a great accomplishment for the Pacers as they are really playing some of the best defense in the NBA over the last 10 games or so. I suppose we all have a pretty good guess as to why that is but I'll leave that for someone else (cough... peck) to bring up.

Hicks
04-07-2005, 01:40 PM
Could someone list those 5 teams (including Pacers) FG% allowed?

beast23
04-07-2005, 01:43 PM
In finishing out the season, I'd be interested in knowing what the stats are for the last 20 games or so. That would probably be an even better indication of how well each of these teams are playing defense as they head into the playoffs.

travmil
04-07-2005, 01:49 PM
Could someone list those 5 teams (including Pacers) FG% allowed?

Opponents FG % and league rank in that category...

San Antonio 42.3% 2nd
Detroit 43.4% 6th
Memphis 42.9% 5th
Houstons 42.5% 3rd
Indiana 43.9% 8th

Harmonica
04-07-2005, 01:53 PM
Last 10 games:

Indiana - 88.2
San Antonio - 89.3
Detroit - 94.9

travmil
04-07-2005, 01:54 PM
In finishing out the season, I'd be interested in knowing what the stats are for the last 20 games or so. That would probably be an even better indication of how well each of these teams are playing defense as they head into the playoffs.

Over the last 10 games the pacers are 2nd in the league in points allwed, and 3rd in FG % allowed...

Bball
04-07-2005, 02:03 PM
So Harmonica and Travmil... which one of you is correct? Are the Pacers 1st or second over the last 10 games in points allowed?

-BBall

naptownmenace
04-07-2005, 02:04 PM
Over the last 10 games the pacers are 2nd in the league in points allwed, and 3rd in FG % allowed...

That is a very impressive stat and really shows that the Pacers defensive has really peaked recently.

I think a major reason for this is that the opposing teams aren't driving to the lane as much with DD and Pollard near the basket. As much credit as Dale has been getting (deservedly) Pollard's play has been a major factor as well.

Defensive rebounding plays a huge role in points allowed as well.

If the Pacers can keep this trend going, they could be a force to reackon with in the playoffs - especially if Jermaine can be added to the mix and he focuses on rebounding and shot-blocking.

Harmonica
04-07-2005, 02:05 PM
So Harmonica and Travmil... which one of you is correct? Are the Pacers 1st or second over the last 10 games in points allowed?

-BBall

I didn't run figures on the entire league, just those three teams. Today is a slow day for me, but not that slow.

Unclebuck
04-07-2005, 02:14 PM
oops

naptownmenace
04-07-2005, 02:23 PM
Last 10 games:

Indiana - 88.2
San Antonio - 89.3
Detroit - 94.9

I'm surprised that no one has stated that the Pistons defense has become worse as the end of the season approaches.

I don't think they'll be flipping the magic playoff switch unless they get their defense back in gear. They don't score enough points (consistently) to win if they continue to allow that many points per game. :cool:

Kstat
04-07-2005, 02:27 PM
I'm surprised that no one has stated that the Pistons defense has become worse as the end of the season approaches.

I don't think they'll be flipping the magic playoff switch unless they get their defense back in gear. They don't score enough points (consistently) to win if they continue to allow that many points per game. :cool:

Um...you DO realize we've won 4 in a row.....right?

Check our points per game allowed with Larry Brown calling the plays.

Since he came back, we're allowing about 90ppg.

I refuse to take any gar heard-tainted numbers seriously. The 96 Bulls would allow 110ppg with him at the helm.

Harmonica
04-07-2005, 02:28 PM

I think the Pistons will be locked and loaded for the playoffs. As far as I'm concerned, they're still the team to beat in the East.

Los Angeles
04-07-2005, 02:37 PM
I'm with Harmonica on this one. Even as you look at the history of the NBA, the defending champs always seem to be the ones to beat, regardless of the standings.

Mushmouth
04-07-2005, 02:39 PM
Last 10 games:

Indiana - 88.2
San Antonio - 89.3
Detroit - 94.9

i.e.- Bet the under!

naptownmenace
04-07-2005, 02:50 PM
Um...you DO realize we've won 4 in a row.....right?

Check our points per game allowed with Larry Brown calling the plays.

Since he came back, we're allowing about 90ppg.

I refuse to take any gar heard-tainted numbers seriously. The 96 Bulls would allow 110ppg with him at the helm.

That didn't take long.

Yeah, I knew about the win streak but I thought I'd throw a little bait out there to stir the waters a bit.

Nevertheless, if you look at the Pacers over the past 4 games they held their opponents to 85 points on average. That number is skewed a little because of the overtime game against Miami since they've held the last three opponents under 80 points.

3Ball
04-07-2005, 03:04 PM
I guess I would still have to put the team to beat as the Heat, but maybe we'll see on Sunday.

Kstat
04-07-2005, 03:06 PM
I guess I would still have to put the team to beat as the Heat, but maybe we'll see on Sunday.

Well, Shaq may not play that game, so who knows.

In any case, I don't think its very important for either team, so I wouldnt put a lot of stock in who wins or loses that one.

Since86
04-07-2005, 04:07 PM
Well, Shaq may not play that game, so who knows.

In any case, I don't think its very important for either team, so I wouldnt put a lot of stock in who wins or loses that one.

Why wouldn't that game be important. The knicks maybe, but you should take every game seriously that involves potential playoff competition, especially so close to the playoffs.