PDA

View Full Version : At what point in time does it....

Peck
04-07-2005, 02:05 AM
become to soon to beleive something special is happening & is going to happen in the playoffs?

Is it to soon right now to think that we are playing the best basketball in the entire NBA?

Is it to soon to think that there is no team that wants us in the first round of the playoffs?

Is it to much to think that we are not just beating bad teams or getting lucky, but that by a solid foundation of defense & team work that we really are this good?

Is it to much to think that picking up Dale Davis is the single most significant transaction that we have had since Byron Scott came on board in 94?

Is it wrong to believe that Anthony Johnson is the leagues most improved player in the second half of the season?

Is it wrong to think that we have gone from a fluffy soft team to a team that is physical & bruising?

Is it appropriate to point out that while kicking the crap out of the Cavs. that every single Pacer that played real min. (minus John Edwards) gave solid contributions?

Is it wrong to point out that by everybody making the extra pass that we found the open man almost all night long?

Is it wrong to think that if we played like we did last night vs. every team that no team would be safe against us?

Have I gone way to far from the darkness?

Ok, just because I haven't been in touch with my inner darkness lately I'll reach out to my brothers on the dark side.

Here goes.

Does anybody really hope that J.O. doesn't rush back & hangs out till we need a low post presence in the playoffs?

Is anybody else enjoying Scott Pollard as much as I am over the past 5 games?

Would it be wrong to point out that Jeff Foster is the best backup center in the NBA right now?

Dale Davis is an all-star. Yeah I know it's not a question but I just thought I'd throw that out there because we all know I can't go one post without praising the True Warrior. :devil:

Is it wrong to think that Stephen Jackson for Al Harrington was a good trade. (sorry Tim)

Back to my darkside for a min.

When one see's players like Pollard, Fred Jones, Croshere playing through pain & then think back about Reggie playing on bad ankles & knowing that Jermaine will be back in a couple of weeks. Doesn't one get sick at their stomach thinking about Jon Bender & how little he plays?

Is it wrong to think that the playoffs might provide some more Miller magic?

Is it really way to much to dream about the reaction that David Stern will get from the fans when he has to give the Larry O'Brian trophy to Herb Simon at the Conseco Fieldhouse?

Ok, I've gone to far.

abington
04-07-2005, 02:10 AM
I wonder what Jermaine will do to this team's chemistry.

Harmonica
04-07-2005, 02:16 AM
Arrrrrrrrgh...I can't help it...sorry...too far, you've gone too far. Not to.

Is it wrong to think that Stephen Jackson for Al Harrington was a good trade. (sorry Tim)
It's turning out to be a great trade.

Harmonica
04-07-2005, 02:23 AM
Let me add, I think that once the team got over the notion of Ron coming back this season, they could finally put 11/19 behind them and focus. And yes, I'm a little concerned what JO's return will do to the team's chemistry. I can't help but think of Webber's return to the Kings last year.

skyfire
04-07-2005, 02:26 AM
Effort, teamwork and to a certain extent toughness is infectious.
I love the way that DD makes everyone of his teammates better, by boxing out, swallowing boards and setting picks. I couldn't imagine a better C for the Pacers team.

I think when JO rejoins the team it is important that they aim to get him shots that aren't low block postups. JO is primarily a finesse PF and is perfectly capable of being part of a motion offense and I think reducing the amount of fighting he has to do on the low block is a great idea. Run him off some high screens set by DD and see how his defenders can cope with that. Post offense is an important part of any NBA offense but if used too often it becomes very predictable.

Bball
04-07-2005, 02:36 AM
become to soon to beleive something special is happening & is going to happen in the playoffs?

Is it to soon right now to think that we are playing the best basketball in the entire NBA?

Not too soon...

Is it to soon to think that there is no team that wants us in the first round of the playoffs?

Not too soon....

Is it to much to think that we are not just beating bad teams or getting lucky, but that by a solid foundation of defense & team work that we really are this good?

Not too much to think...

Is it to much to think that picking up Dale Davis is the single most significant transaction that we have had since Byron Scott came on board in 94?

Not too much to think...

Is it wrong to believe that Anthony Johnson is the leagues most improved player in the second half of the season?

It is not wrong...

Is it wrong to think that we have gone from a fluffy soft team to a team that is physical & bruising?

It is not wrong...

Is it appropriate to point out that while kicking the crap out of the Cavs. that every single Pacer that played real min. (minus John Edwards) gave solid contributions?

It is very appropriate...

Is it wrong to point out that by everybody making the extra pass that we found the open man almost all night long?

Passing... ball movement... movement without the ball... Did I die and go to basketball heaven?

Is it wrong to think that if we played like we did last night vs. every team that no team would be safe against us?

It is not wrong...

Winning will do that.

Ok, just because I haven't been in touch with my inner darkness lately I'll reach out to my brothers on the dark side.

Here goes.

Does anybody really hope that J.O. doesn't rush back & hangs out till we need a low post presence in the playoffs?

Yo! Here! I see no reason to rush or push anything. Plus there is no reason to put JO into the position where he thinks he has to do it all or be pressured to contribute in a major way. Why not work him back in slowly? Why 'fix' what isn't broken until we have to?

I've been happy with Scott Pollard the entire season and particularly with his heart and hustle he put on display during the 'short bench' games following 11/19. I wish that guy was here last year.

Would it be wrong to point out that Jeff Foster is the best backup center in the NBA right now?

I'll get back with you on that... but I will grant that having Jeff as a backup center means he isn't necessarily forced to play the other team's bigger, more talented starter as much... or he can play him after he's been worked some while Jeff is fresh off the bench.

Dale Davis is an all-star. Yeah I know it's not a question but I just thought I'd throw that out there because we all know I can't go one post without praising the True Warrior. :devil:

:woohoo:

Contrary to the opinion some came away with after 11/19 calling Sjax a 'hothead' I think he's been a calming influence and a guy that seems to make a point of involving the other players (as in passing out 'thanks' and 'congrats'). Case in point, Jeff made a good play early in tonight's game and got to the line. DD's work set it up tho and I saw Sjax give Dale some props as Jeff went to the line.

The lack of pouting is nice as well.

When one see's players like Pollard, Fred Jones, Croshere playing through pain & then think back about Reggie playing on bad ankles & knowing that Jermaine will be back in a couple of weeks. Doesn't one get sick at their stomach thinking about Jon Bender & how little he plays?

My friend, who was at the game with me, turned and asked me (in all seriousness) "Anything new on Bender (his injury and potential return)?"

I started laughing...
He laughed as well...

Nothing more needed said.

This 2005 team is Miller's team... I hope he and JO (and the coaching staff) have noticed and figured it out. An aggressive Reggie is better for everyone.

Is it really way to much to dream about the reaction that David Stern will get from the fans when he has to give the Larry O'Brian trophy to Herb Simon at the Conseco Fieldhouse?

Ok, I've gone to far.

I'd say 'yes, that might be too much' except during the drive home I was thinking about (and envisioning) David Stern in Conseco being announced to a chorus of boos as he was introduced to hand out the hardware for a Pacer championship.

-Bball :sunshine:

skyfire
04-07-2005, 02:36 AM
The only other player who has had such a night and day improvement in their game in the 2nd half of the season has been Vince Cater. Atleast AJ has done it for the right reasons.

Given Al's tendinitis problems seem to be worsening this season, Jax for Al was a superb trade.

The way the Pacers are toughing out close games is reminiscant of last season where they just willed themselves to victory many times, closing the opponent down. To be able to continue to do that without Ron and JO is a testament to Rick Carlisle's system and the whole roster. No doubt the Pacers have had a few lucky breaks, but thats the way the cookie crumbles and it was defensive toughness that put them in a situation to be able to take those big shots.

SoupIsGood
04-07-2005, 02:55 AM

-Something special is happening, it may continue into the playoffs, but it won't beat Detroit or Miami.

If we can continue to play this well with Jermaine in the lineup I may be singing a different tune.

-Yes

-No, we are the upset pick if we stay in the 6-8 seeds. The other teams have been sent reeling backwards, other than the Nets.

-We do have a solid foundation of defense and teamwork. I want to watch a bit more before I decide just how good our defense is.

-Yes. Trading Dale for Jermaine is more important.

-Probably not. He has gone from dreadfully bad to somewhat good.

-I don't think we were fluffy soft before, but we are physical and bruising now. We very rarely get outrebounded now.

If there is anything I have learnt this season, it is how much I hate teams that can't rebound. We were like that for a good part of the season, and I nearly went insane.

-Sure :shrug:

-In my opinion, this is a result of having the same roster, more or less, for a while now (better chemistry).

-I don't know.

-No. Dale is reason enough to join the :sunshine: club. I'm going to the game Sunday, so I'm going to be on the uppitdy for a while too. (Section effing 3! Seats of a lifetime)

Here goes.

-I want Jermaine to be healthy a few games before the playoffs. But I don't want him back if he isn't healthy, ever.

-I liked David better.

-Would it be wrong to point out David is the best fourth string center? :sad:

I may have to start rooting for Feisty to be traded, or my boy ain't ever going to see any playing time.

-No, it was a great trade. Fairly even talent-wise, but Jackson's intangibles and the fact he is a SG make it great.

-I have never cared for this arguement. If the man can't play he can't play.

-No. I am almost counting on it. :pray:

- :devil:

Unclebuck
04-07-2005, 09:00 AM
I'm in the strange position of having to cool Peck's and Bball's unbridled enthusiasm. You guys are just a little too excited about what is going on and it is making me nervous.

As Reggie said the Pacers started playing playoff basketball a couple of weeks ago. My point is the Pacers really can't play any better, they can't turn it up a notch like other teams will.

Right now the Pacers would beat the folowing teams in a seven game series. Cavs, Sixers, Magic without any problem. Beating the Wizards will depend on who they have healthy, if they have the team they have right now the Pacers will beat them. Beating the Celtics I thnk is a 50/50% proposition homecourt might be a deciding factor, and same with the Bulls. I am evaluating the pacers without J.O.

Pistons and Heat are an entirely different story, the current Pacers team cannot beat either of those teams in a 7 game series, unless Shaq get hurt.

On the other hand if J.O comes back I think the Pacers have a chance against the Pistons and Heat.

Peck and Bball you are frightening me a little

Doug
04-07-2005, 09:17 AM
With the current offense, JO should get tons of easy shots. That's got to make him pretty excited to be back, to be a part of this.

Harddrive7
04-07-2005, 09:21 AM
With the current offense, JO should get tons of easy shots. That's got to make him pretty excited to be back, to be a part of this.

Yeah but do we keep the same offense when he does get back?

ABADays
04-07-2005, 09:27 AM
Like everyone, I want to see the Pacers compete in the playoffs. Having said that, everything is gravy right now in my mind. This has been an extraordinary year. It has shown the character and the true abilities of our players. It has shown their willingness to work within the game plan. It has shown we have an extraordinary coach and staff. It has shown we are in good hands replacing Reggie. And lastly, it has shown that Miller was no where near being washed up as many had felt.

I said this right after the suspensions were handed down from the brawl. What this team has accomplished will long be remembered here.

Shade
04-07-2005, 09:34 AM
I'm very impressed with the way this team has played lately. However, I'm very concerned about how the team will play when JO returns. On paper, we should be much better, but there's no time for rust/chemistry changes in the playoffs. Each game is too important. Plus, my head still believes that heart can only take you so far.

I'll be watching and rooting like hell, but I'm not quite ready to put on my :sunshine: just yet.

MagicRat
04-07-2005, 09:41 AM

Why shouldn't they be excited? There's something for each of them: Dale is playing and JB isn't........
:-p

A-Train
04-07-2005, 09:44 AM
No doubt the Pacers have had a few lucky breaks, but thats the way the cookie crumbles .....

:o

Name ONE lucky break! I dare ya!!!

:confused:

:cool:

Oh, and my one word response to Peck's questions: No.

ChicagoJ
04-07-2005, 09:50 AM

No ****. I had to check the calendar to confirm its not April 1.

Harddrive7
04-07-2005, 09:54 AM
I'm very impressed with the way this team has played lately. However, I'm very concerned about how the team will play when JO returns. On paper, we should be much better, but there's no time for rust/chemistry changes in the playoffs. Each game is too important. Plus, my head still believes that heart can only take you so far.

I'll be watching and rooting like hell, but I'm not quite ready to put on my :sunshine: just yet.

Well I have said the same thing about heart winning a lot of games but hell, Detroit won a championship with it so...

Unclebuck
04-07-2005, 10:00 AM

I wonder if Stern will come to a playoff game in Indy. I bet they send Granik instead. But if the Pacers get to the ECF or Finals, Stern will have to come. The booing of Stern as he hands the NBA championship trophy to the Pacers will be deafening and yet Pacer fans would be so happy who knows.

The best basketball in the NBA, I don't know about that. The Nuggets might have a strong argument.

Jeff the best backup center in the NBA? I can't argue with that. But I did notice something last night, Jeff seems stronger than he used to be. And the refs seem to call more fouls on him when he comes off the bench

sixthman
04-07-2005, 10:05 AM
I'm in the strange position of having to cool Peck's and Bball's unbridled enthusiasm. You guys are just a little too excited about what is going on and it is making me nervous.

As Reggie said the Pacers started playing playoff basketball a couple of weeks ago. My point is the Pacers really can't play any better, they can't turn it up a notch like other teams will.

Right now the Pacers would beat the folowing teams in a seven game series. Cavs, Sixers, Magic without any problem. Beating the Wizards will depend on who they have healthy, if they have the team they have right now the Pacers will beat them. Beating the Celtics I thnk is a 50/50% proposition homecourt might be a deciding factor, and same with the Bulls. I am evaluating the pacers without J.O.

Pistons and Heat are an entirely different story, the current Pacers team cannot beat either of those teams in a 7 game series, unless Shaq get hurt.

On the other hand if J.O comes back I think the Pacers have a chance against the Pistons and Heat.

Terrific summary of our current situation. I agree with all of your post, until the last line. Frightening? Nah. Amusing, yes.

brichard
04-07-2005, 10:09 AM
Right now this team is going to live and die by the jump shot.

Yes this team is playing great defense.

Yes this team is playing a much better offense. Not only is it more fun to watch, it is much more effective.

But... in this posters opinion we are woefully inadequate in our post scoring options. When our jump shots don't fall, we are going to struggle mightily.

The old Pacers team that this reminds us of had Rik Smits. JO would be a nice upgrade at that position if we could bring him in and keep the same offensive fluidity flowing.

If we could guarantee Reggie and Jax won't have any bad games in the playoffs, anyting can happen. But even in his prime Reggie has had some problems putting together the back to back efforts that guys like Magic, Bird, and Jordan could.

One thing is for certain though... as bad as the East is anything can happen. The only team I really fear in the playoffs is Miami. I know we have the edge over them, but some of those wins were w/o Shaq and the last one was an OT victory at home.

I'd much rather play the Pistons than the Heat. This is no disrespect to the Pistons, this is all about resepect for Shaq Diesel.

A-Train
04-07-2005, 10:21 AM
I love the way that DD makes everyone of his teammates better, by boxing out, swallowing boards and setting picks. I couldn't imagine a better C for the Pacers team.

Too bad we didn't move Dale to the center position back in 2000 and allowed Antonio to be the starting PF. Smits, with his sore feet, could have come off the bench and everyone would have been happy. No one (AD that year) would have forced a trade, Bender never would have become a Pacer, and Croshere most likely wouldn't have had his breakout Finals performance and gotten his huge contract.

All because Rik Smits just HAD to start.

I find it interesting that the idea of Dale playing center was argued against so vehemently back in 2000, but it seemed to be the obvious choice when he came back this year. What changed?

Doug
04-07-2005, 10:53 AM
I find it interesting that the idea of Dale playing center was argued against so vehemently back in 2000, but it seemed to be the obvious choice when he came back this year. What changed?

Most of the true centers retired.

Doug
04-07-2005, 10:57 AM
Yeah but do we keep the same offense when he does get back?I think we have to. Anything else would be very distruptive. Although we've proved we can handle distruptions OK. I also think that type of offense would be really good for JO in that it should help reduce the pounding he takes going one-on-one (or one-on-three) in the post.

As for us living and dying by the jump shot... Well, we're getting open ones. I expect players in the pros to be able to make open jumpers.

ChicagoJ
04-07-2005, 11:12 AM
I was thinking about this - when JO returns, how long do the Pacers leave him in the sixth man role?

He can play 36 mpg and finish, but leave the starters 'as-is' so Reggie can get on-track early.

A-Train
04-07-2005, 11:27 AM
Most of the true centers retired.

Which centers, particularly those in the East, would Dale have had more trouble with than Smits did?

I remember Ewing and Mourning in the East, but I have to think Dale would have defended both of them as well as Rik ever could.

I still think we would have been better off with the Davises at C/PF with Rik off the bench than we ended up being with Dale and Rik and Austin off the bench.

Unclebuck
04-07-2005, 11:29 AM
Too bad we didn't move Dale to the center position back in 2000 and allowed Antonio to be the starting PF. Smits, with his sore feet, could have come off the bench and everyone would have been happy. No one (AD that year) would have forced a trade, Bender never would have become a Pacer, and Croshere most likely wouldn't have had his breakout Finals performance and gotten his huge contract.

All because Rik Smits just HAD to start.

The league has changed drastically. very few centers, yes that is obvious. but also very few brusing powerforwards like there used to be

Jose Slaughter
04-07-2005, 11:30 AM
Not to rain on anyones parade cause I really like the way the guys have been playing lately too, but.....................

Look at who they've beated lately.

The Cavs lastnight should be no biggie. The have lost all desire & focus. They were minus Z as well.

New York the night before. The Knicks simply are not a good team, especially up front, & we are.

Washington before that. We win by 3 but the Wiz missed 10 free throws.

Miami: We win in OT but the Heat miss 12 FT's in that game too.

If the Wiz or Heat hit even a fraction of those shots we loose.

Before that there was a win over a sad Bucks team & a loose to the Bulls.

The last win I can be really happy about was over the Pistons on March 25th.

But again, I think we've earned the right to gloat over winning a couple over some weak sisters right now.

ChicagoJ
04-07-2005, 11:30 AM
It wasn't just Ewing, but he - at one time - had either Oakley or Buck Williams playing alongside him. Is anybody that big-and-physical upfront today

A-Train
04-07-2005, 11:37 AM
It wasn't just Ewing, but he - at one time - had either Oakley or Buck Williams playing alongside him.

So?

Dale would have had Antonio beside him, and Antonio, if you remember, spent much of his time playing against centers. I'm still not sure why they couldn't have gone with Dale and AD.

:shrug:

Oh well, that's just something that's always bothered me about that team... the unwillingness to go with the Davises and bring Rik off the bench. If nothing else, to appease AD's desire to start. Plus, at that point and time Rik's feet were day to day. Everyone knew he didn't have many years left in him. And yet, we let AD go, drafted Bender, and Rik was gone within a couple of years. I just never got that. Of all Donnie's moves, that one still irks me.

Excuse me for getting off track here... :cool:

ChicagoJ
04-07-2005, 11:57 AM
So?

Dale would have had Antonio beside him, and Antonio, if you remember, spent much of his time playing against centers. I'm still not sure why they couldn't have gone with Dale and AD.

Oh well, that's just something that's always bothered me about that team... the unwillingness to go with the Davises and bring Rik off the bench. If nothing else, to appease AD's desire to start. Plus, at that point and time Rik's feet were day to day. Everyone knew he didn't have many years left in him. And yet, we let AD go, drafted Bender, and Rik was gone within a couple of years. I just never got that. Of all Donnie's moves, that one still irks me.

Excuse me for getting off track here... :cool:

Having suffered from plantar fasciitis at one time in my life, I can understand why Rik needed to start/ get all his minutes while he was warmed up. What I never understood was why the didn't have him walking on a treadmill behind the bench or in the runway for a few minutes before he'd check back into a game after resting.

I, for one, never really considered moving DD to center until Rik was set to retire, and by then AD was already gone.

Oh, and forgive me for following your tangent. :chuckle:

Ragnar
04-07-2005, 12:07 PM
Not to rain on anyones parade cause I really like the way the guys have been playing lately too, but.....................

Lets do that objectively.

The Cavs lastnight should be no biggie. The have lost all desire & focus. They were minus Z as well.

They are missing ONE guy. We are missing three. No one gets to use that excuse against us unless we are playing the heat without Shaq AND Wade!!

New York the night before. The Knicks simply are not a good team, especially up front, & we are.

Remember just a few weeks ago we could not beat these teams including the Knicks. You must take care of the little ones too.

Do you believe they will suddenly become a good free throw team?

Again do you think Shaq is going to start shooting like Reggie? If they would have taken more they would have missed more. That is the biggest weakness they have.

Again saying that had the Heat hit all their free throws they win is absurd they never will and neither will the Wiz. In 90% of the games in the nba the loser lost by less points than they missed at the line. That does not take away from the win. Putting the Heat on the line is part of any decent strategy because they are going to miss them.

But again, I think we've earned the right to gloat over winning a couple over some weak sisters right now.

We beat the Spurs, Pistons, Heat we dont control the schedule. The Bulls had been playing their best ball right at that time and we just came off an emotional win over Detroit the NIGHT BEFORE and there was a bomb scare!! It was our 4th game in 5 nights and the night before the game got over around midnight. We woke up in the 4th quarter and would have won that game easily if it were under normal circumstances.

aceace
04-07-2005, 12:14 PM
:o

Name ONE lucky break! I dare ya!!!

:confused:

Oh, and my one word response to Peck's questions: No.

EASY: Golden State trades DD to New Orleans who buys out his contract and DD finds his way home.

ChicagoJ
04-07-2005, 12:22 PM
-snip-
The Bulls had been playing their best ball right at that time and we just came off an emotional win over Detroit the NIGHT BEFORE and there was a bomb scare!! It was our 4th game in 5 nights and the night before the game got over around midnight. We woke up in the 4th quarter and would have won that game easily if it were under normal circumstances.

Nevermind. Nothing to see here.

Arcadian
04-07-2005, 12:26 PM
As a Pacer fan I always dream of winning the championship but I right now I couldn't say those things to non-Pacer fans with out feeling silly.

The truth is we, as is, have as much of a chance of coming out the East as Seattle has of coming out the West.

Another reason rik started was because he could score without him we would have become an outside-in team. Back in those days it was inconcieveable that a team without an inside scoring threat or Jordan could win the championship.

Ragnar
04-07-2005, 12:35 PM
Jay I cant see any picture.

abington
04-07-2005, 01:27 PM
Seeing Dale's impact, its intereting that the Pacer brass was so content to not make any moves and basically sat around inert or inept as Dale came giftwrapped to us basically for free.

beast23
04-07-2005, 01:41 PM
Having suffered from plantar fasciitis at one time in my life... What I never understood was why the didn't have him walking on a treadmill behind the bench or in the runway for a few minutes before he'd check back into a game after resting.

I've been there and done that, too. I always had great respect and admiration for Smits' ability to play on a couple of very, very sore feet.

As for the bit about the treadmill, Smit's did use a vibration pad from time to time on the bench. It's something I used for my foot, and that, combined with the orthotic that applied constant pressure to the middle of my arch, helped immensely.

Hicks
04-07-2005, 01:42 PM
I'm starting to believe in this team's chances, but I'm very gunshy about it; my head is sounding a red-alert saying "Don't get wrapped up in fantasy or you'll be sorry". I'm just going to stay where I've been the past month or more: Wait and see.

beast23
04-07-2005, 01:56 PM
No, don't sit back. Go on ahead and jump on the roller coaster. It's a lot more fun.

Of course, constant roller coaster rides have been known top cause ulcers. :)

Harmonica
04-07-2005, 02:12 PM
No, don't sit back. Go on ahead and jump on the roller coaster. It's a lot more fun.

Or death.

ChicagoJ
04-07-2005, 02:22 PM

AND make you - errrrrr me - crabby. :blush:

- The Nexium Guy

Peck
04-07-2005, 02:25 PM
I'm surrounded by haters & non-believers. :devil:

ChicagoJ
04-07-2005, 02:27 PM
No, I'm pretty sure I'm the only hater/ non-believer left. ;)

Spicoli
04-07-2005, 02:28 PM
Count me in on this most recent roller coaster ride.

Of course, sometimes coasters result in the greatest thrill of your life :woohoo:

But have also been known to frequently result in :puke:

Bball
04-07-2005, 02:36 PM
Why shouldn't they be excited? There's something for each of them: Dale is playing and JB isn't........
:-p

Not only that but is there anyone left on the Bender bandwagon who is not afraid to show their face? Not only is Bender a non-factor but nobody is even bothering themselves with wondering (aloud) if he can be back this season or anything else. Just seeing the fans move on is nice.

-Bball

abington
04-07-2005, 02:47 PM
I still wonder why we didn't try to get Dale earlier. Why did we wait till he fell to us. it makes you wonder what other moves that could have been made over the years that would have helped.

Arcadian
04-07-2005, 03:01 PM
Prior to Dale being released he had a high salary that made getting him hard to do.

Vicious Tyrant
04-07-2005, 03:09 PM
I would love to jump on the bandwagon and UB's idea of Stern getting booed at a trophy presentation makes me so happy I feel all funny down there, but...

I think teams are going to pick up the intensity for the postseason, while I don't see us having another gear to switch to. I love the play lately, but I don't see that it can improve much from here. I don't think the team will continue to play like they are when JO comes back, just due to old habits.

That said, if JO comes back healthy, I think we could win a series. Strong post presence is much more important in the playoffs than jumpshooting. I don't however, see it happening.

Please, let me be wrong.

Peck
04-07-2005, 06:04 PM

Hmmmmmm.......

I seem to remember somebody telling me last year at the gathering that Shaq was not going to make that much of a differance? I just can't seem to remember who that person was. ;)

Ragnar
04-07-2005, 06:33 PM
You know the conspiracy theorist in me cant believe the NBA would ever allow us to make the finals this year. You all know we would all be booing David Stern and he knows it too. That would be a pr nightmare.

FireTheCoach
04-07-2005, 08:16 PM

hmmmm...... I wanna believe but the way this season has gone thus far, I'm just enjoying whats going on right now and not worrying too much about whats going to happen a few weeks from now.

I've been saying it for years... the Pacers most pressing need was another bigman... a legitimate bigman. The DD for JO trade was probably the most significant trade since '94, IMHO ... but getting DD back, man.... can't even find the words to express my feelings on it....

A. Johnson had such a good year last season.... I think he could have been the leagues most regressed player for the first half of this season. He's just coming back into form now, in my opinion.

Thanx Dale!

Count me in.

I've enjoyed watching Pollard all season, when he's been healthy anyway. Last season he seemed to be "homesick" for Sacto and didn't really look like he was gelling with the team. This season he looks more comfortable and plays like he feels that he's an important part of this team... I didn't see that too much last season.

I've always been a Foster fan.... I just always knew that he wasn't starter material. At least not permanent starter material.

ROTFLMAO!!!! This team improved the minute that Harrington was traded..... my only regret is that I had to suffer through his seasons here.

indygeezer
04-07-2005, 11:36 PM
Whheeeeee!!! We're gonna be in the finals wweeeeeeeeeeeeee...we'll win it aaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllllllllllllll.....wweeeeeeee! JB is gonna return in time to lead us like Garnett!!! ! WEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

oooops...........ooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhh!

ouch

stubbed my toe on sumthin back there!! wunner whut it was??????

A-Train
04-08-2005, 10:11 AM
Having suffered from plantar fasciitis at one time in my life, I can understand why Rik needed to start/ get all his minutes while he was warmed up. What I never understood was why the didn't have him walking on a treadmill behind the bench or in the runway for a few minutes before he'd check back into a game after resting.

I, for one, never really considered moving DD to center until Rik was set to retire, and by then AD was already gone.

Oh, and forgive me for following your tangent. :chuckle:

I knew that reason would be brought up (mainly, because it was always brought up back then). I never bought into that one, either, though. If he's able to play later in the game after having sat down for awhile, why couldn't he have done the same later in the 1st quarter. Especially if he walked on a treadmill as you suggested.

Jose Slaughter
04-08-2005, 11:22 AM
Hmmmmmm.......

I seem to remember somebody telling me last year at the gathering that Shaq was not going to make that much of a differance? I just can't seem to remember who that person was. ;)

I blew that one.

You still waiting on your prediction?

brichard
05-13-2005, 10:45 PM
As we continue to improve in the Playoffs I always remember the title of this thread. :)