PDA

View Full Version : A Little OT: Who Gets the Rings?

Los Angeles
04-06-2005, 03:17 PM
This is a carry-over from a conversation I had here in LA. We couldn't find agreement on this, so I'm asking for some help.

When an NBA team wins the title, what members of the team and organization get fitted for thier championship rings?

Do players who are not on the playoff roster, but ARE on the team get rings? Do ALL of the various coaches and help staff get rings? What about the various Owners/CEOs/GMs/Presidents/VP's?

Is there a set rule or guideline? A tradition that is not set in stone, but otherwise followed?

Your help is appreciated!

shags
04-06-2005, 03:22 PM
This is a carry-over from a conversation I had here in LA. We couldn't find agreement on this, so I'm asking for some help.

When an NBA team wins the title, what members of the team and organization get fitted for thier championship rings?

Do players who are not on the playoff roster, but ARE on the team get rings? Do ALL of the various coaches and help staff get rings? What about the various Owners/CEOs/GMs/Presidents/VP's?

Is there a set rule or guideline? A tradition that is not set in stone, but otherwise followed?

Your help is appreciated!

When the Pistons won last year, all the players (even Tremaine Fowlkes, who was on IR) got a ring, all the coaches, all the management, and even secretaries and lower staff members got one too.

The Pistons also held a lottery and gave a fan a ring and two tickets to the first game of the season.

Stryder
04-06-2005, 03:26 PM
When the Pistons won last year, all the players (even Tremaine Fowlkes, who was on IR) got a ring, all the coaches, all the management, and even secretaries and lower staff members got one too.

The Pistons also held a lottery and gave a fan a ring and two tickets to the first game of the season.

I have a hard time believing that secretaries and lower staff members get the "exact" same ring that the players and coaches do.

Who knows? I don't. But I have a hard time believing it.

Kstat
04-06-2005, 03:26 PM
Basically, its to the team's judgement who does or does not get a ring.

There was even talk of Atkins getting a ring, even though we traded him away at the deadline. Atkins refused, but I believe we DID offer him a winnings share....

ABADays
04-06-2005, 03:29 PM
When I worked in scouting and player development for the Astros and we had a chance at playing in the World Series - we were asked to provide our rings sizes. I do know, the women on the staff were offered an option of a ring or a pendant with the exact replica of the ring face.

It was also that year that the management staff was no longer eligible for a playoff share of any kind. That sucked.

shags
04-06-2005, 03:36 PM
Basically, its to the team's judgement who does or does not get a ring.

There was even talk of Atkins getting a ring, even though we traded him away at the deadline. Atkins refused, but I believe we DID offer him a winnings share....

In 1989, the Pistons were going to give Adrian Dantley a ring, until he went on CBS at halftime of Game 3 and blamed Isiah for trading him away midseason. No ring after that.

You're right. It's at the team's discretion. So if the Pacers win next year, they theoretically could offer to give Reggie a ring.

unstandable
04-06-2005, 04:15 PM
The Pistons players voted on whether guys like Atkins should get rings or shares.