PDA

View Full Version : Jared Jeffries

Vicious Tyrant
04-06-2005, 01:50 PM
I haven't seen the Wizards play this year. Can anyone tell me how Jeffries looks? It seemed like he started hot last year, but I haven't heard much about him since his injury last year.

Too bad the Wizards are doing so well. Would have been fun to see him and Sean May reunited. Maybe Sean will stay in school and Washington will tank next year - that could do the trick.

ImReppinBtown
04-06-2005, 02:00 PM
Jared has started 62 games this year averaging 7 ppg. and 5 rpg., 15 points is his high this year, 16 rebounds is his high also. Back when NBATV was free for a week on DirecTV I seen him play a couple times. He didnt look like an all-star but it seems that his game is improving slowly and steadily. Yeah it would be awesome to see Sean and Jared on the same team. Bloomington North's finest!

Vicious Tyrant
04-06-2005, 02:04 PM
Yeah, I saw those two lose to South in the tourney when Sean was a freshman and Jared was a junior (?, maybe senior?). I have to admit I thought Jeffries was all physical talent and no toughness or head for the game. He proved me wrong, though. I saw Sean play South a couple years later and his team lost to that Hankins kid. Sean was awesome even then, although he was chubbier than he is now. He's reamarkably athletic for a guy who looks so soft.

Deadshot
04-06-2005, 02:36 PM
I've watched Jared play a few times this year, and he still doesn't impress me that much. To be honest with you, I'm surprised hes still starting (although they don't really have much to play in front of him at that position).

ImReppinBtown
04-06-2005, 02:47 PM
I was at the same South-North game! That was a huge game, everyone was talking about Hankins and May. That was first time I seen Sean play. He was great. A big kid like that who could shoot well and was dunking on people, I was amazed.

shags
04-06-2005, 02:57 PM
The Wizards' season really started to take off when Jeffries was placed in the starting lineup ahead of Jarvis Hayes. Jeffries reminds me of Derrick McKey - just an ultimate intangibles guy. Him and Haywood don't need the ball, which allows Arenas, Hughes, and Jamison to shoot, which is why the chemistry in that lineup is so good.

Slick Pinkham
04-06-2005, 03:10 PM
The Wizards' season really started to take off when Jeffries was placed in the starting lineup ahead of Jarvis Hayes.

more accurately, when Hayes became INJURED and they were forced to use Jeffries.

It is very doubtful whether JJ would have ever taken minutes from a healthy Jarvis Hayes.

As an IU alum, I'd like to see JJ succeed. So far he has been a marginal pro, and his playing time expanded due to a multitude of injuries (Jarvis Hayes, Kwame Brown, Larry Hughes, Juan Dixon, Etan Thomas, etc.)

shags
04-06-2005, 03:16 PM
more accurately, when Hayes became INJURED and they were forced to use Jeffries.

Nope, Hayes was moved to 6th man. He wasn't hurt, just a coaches change. A very smart one. Hayes was going to be more effective coming off the bench instead of fighting for shots with Arenas, Hughes, and Jamison, all who should be shooting before him. The move also allowed Jeffries to guard the best 3 or 4, instead of Jamison.

Kstat
04-06-2005, 03:29 PM
In the NBA, Jeffries is Antawn Jamison without the quickness. He has a lot of basketball skills, but not much athletic ability. In the Wiz ards offense though, he can be very effective as a 4th or 5th option.

Slick Pinkham
04-06-2005, 03:42 PM
Nope, Hayes was moved to 6th man. He wasn't hurt, just a coaches change. A very smart one.

Until Hayes was hurt on February 27, he was regularly playing >30 min/g and starting. He was on my fanatsy team. I don't believe he has ever backed up JJ on a regular basis. He did miss a few games earlier with a concussion before be broke his kneecap.

shags
04-06-2005, 04:18 PM
Until Hayes was hurt on February 27, he was regularly playing >30 min/g and starting. He was on my fanatsy team. I don't believe he has ever backed up JJ on a regular basis. He did miss a few games earlier with a concussion before be broke his kneecap.

Check the boxscores. Hayes played a lot as a 6th man, and started when Hughes went down, but when the Wiz were healthy, was backing up Jeffries and Hughes.

PacerNation
04-06-2005, 04:33 PM
Yeah, I saw those two lose to South in the tourney when Sean was a freshman and Jared was a junior (?, maybe senior?). I have to admit I thought Jeffries was all physical talent and no toughness or head for the game. He proved me wrong, though. I saw Sean play South a couple years later and his team lost to that Hankins kid. Sean was awesome even then, although he was chubbier than he is now. He's reamarkably athletic for a guy who looks so soft.

Don't forget, Zach Randolph played for the Marion team that beat Bloomington. He was just too much for the very skinny Jeffries (not sure if May was on the team yet). This would have been the 1999-2000 season. With the improvement and emergence of a couple more players Indiana will be the place to grow NBA talent again.

Vicious Tyrant
04-06-2005, 06:00 PM
Yeah, Pacer Nation, that's right. I forgot about that. Great matchup.

I lived around Marion back in the Jay Edwards/Lyndon Jones/Darreck Keys era. Heck of a squad, that one.

Btown, I assumed you were an IU student. Are you a local guy, or are you just interested in local ball even though you're a college kid?

ChicagoJ
04-06-2005, 06:30 PM
How could you leave out Jay Teagle from that list?

Unacceptable that you leave out the one guy who stayed home and played for your alma mater.

:tsk: :tsk:

Vicious Tyrant
04-06-2005, 09:02 PM
Oh Jay, that's painful. How could I???? I'm totally ashamed....

That dynamite that didn't go boom, man.