PDA

View Full Version : These words have been overlooked

indygeezer
04-06-2005, 07:56 AM
I saw this mentioned in the game thread, but I've just GOT to bring them out to everyone's attention!!

I nearly choked when I heard MB utter this and SLick absolutely cracked up!

From the wisdom of Mark Boyle:

"I didn't think it would be possible, but it appears Isiah Thomas is a worse general manager than coach."

I knew Boyle didn't particularly like IT, but wow that's harsh.

Unclebuck
04-06-2005, 08:29 AM
They both thought Isiah was a horrible coach. We all remember Slick's comments after isiah was fired, and MB had some less than flattering commetns about IT also.

Not surprised

The difference between IT and RC is remarkable. I know some of you might disagree with a few things Carlisle does here and there, but I don't think anyone disagrees with Rick's whole approach. Did anyone agree with Isiah's overall approach, or worse yet what was Isiah's overriding coaching philosphy. After watching for 3 years i still have no idea what it was besides "creating chaos"

ChicagoJ
04-06-2005, 10:09 AM
Yeah, when I nitpick about a few things Rick does, I always try to keep in mind that I'm nitpicking. We had to nitpick to find things Isiah did right. :o

Ragnar
04-06-2005, 10:18 AM
I love that he is a terrible G.M. because I hate the Knicks. A few more years of his meddling and they will be playing in Rucker park. I might even feel sorry for them then. (probably not)

The only thing that worries me is that if you look at the teams Marbury has been they did very well after having him there. So if NY can ever find another sucker to take him they could improve dramatically.

Suaveness
04-06-2005, 10:28 AM
Isiah's problem is that he tries to make the team too talent-oriented and athletic, rather than trying to find people to make a solid team. He is going to have problems dumping payroll as it is, which he has to do in order to get them out of the cellar. And once he does that he needs a coach who can actually coach.

ChicagoJ
04-06-2005, 10:42 AM
Yeah, I had a similar thought while watching last night...

I didn't think it would be possible, but it appears Herb Williams is a worse coach than player.

Arcadian
04-06-2005, 12:26 PM
I'd feel bad for any coach of that team. It is one of the most ill concieved rosters I have ever seen. They have two undersized shooting guards playing with a frontline undersized power forwards. I look for the Knicks to land Kenny Thomas next season.

Kegboy
04-06-2005, 01:12 PM
They both thought Isiah was a horrible coach. We all remember Slick's comments after isiah was fired, and MB had some less than flattering commetns about IT also.

Not surprised

The difference between IT and RC is remarkable. I know some of you might disagree with a few things Carlisle does here and there, but I don't think anyone disagrees with Rick's whole approach. Did anyone agree with Isiah's overall approach, or worse yet what was Isiah's overriding coaching philosphy. After watching for 3 years i still have no idea what it was besides "creating chaos"

I wish we still had the threads where you defended Isiah to the death.

Lord Helmet
04-06-2005, 02:15 PM

Not surprised

What did Slick say after Thomas was fired? I didn't hear it.

Anthem
04-06-2005, 02:56 PM
Thomas had some ideas that I liked. Some of his philosophy was good.

If he'd have been an assistant to a great coach for a couple of years, he could have been decent. But I'm not sure he'd have gone for that.

Slick Pinkham
04-06-2005, 03:20 PM

It was the poster known as "NewYawk" who annoying defended Isiah at every opportunity.

I had long heated debates with him, and I was merely calling Isiah an average-to-below-average coach, not a trerrible coaching disaster, as some others felt at the time.

That guy NewYawk almost made me give up on Pacers forums back then.

ABADays
04-06-2005, 03:32 PM
I have always thought Isiah was a graet "person". It seemed most of the players liked him, and JO has openly admitted to really getting close to IT.

With that said, he wasnt a good "coach". I do agree he could have been better if he had started off as a assistant, but Im not sure that would have made him that much of a better HC

Some guys have what it takes to make it, some dont. IMHO, IT doesnt have what it takes to be a successfull head coach (or run the CBA, or be a CEO, but now Im just hating :devil:)

From what I've heard, Isiah is almost universally disliked as a person. He has this public personna that is very different than the real Isiah.

Unclebuck
04-06-2005, 03:40 PM

You're joking right I never "defended Isiah". I strongly disagreed with his overall approach. I might have argued in favor of Isiah in a particular decision. pet peeve of mine is when fans complain about how many minutes so and so is getting.

Oh wait I did defend him on the CBA issue

Anyone else remember the article that came out in early April of isiah's first season. Jeffrey Denberg of the Atlanta Journal Constitution / ESPN.com wrote it and it was rather scathing. It generated a lot of discussion. I think I still have the article. But from what it said isiah was well liked but the players did not respect his basketball knowledge.

grace
04-06-2005, 03:47 PM
Warning:

I happen to like Isiah so any of you who are holding out hope of getting tickets from me better watch out! :irked:

NewType
04-06-2005, 04:25 PM
Thomas had some ideas that I liked. Some of his philosophy was good.

If he'd have been an assistant to a great coach for a couple of years, he could have been decent. But I'm not sure he'd have gone for that.

Ditto.

MagicRat
04-06-2005, 04:40 PM
Warning:

I happen to like Isiah so any of you who are holding out hope of getting tickets from me better watch out! :irked:

Isiah couldn't hold a candle to Bird as a player, coach, or GM......:innocent:

ABADays
04-06-2005, 04:56 PM
What MR said! :zip:

ChicagoJ
04-06-2005, 05:34 PM
:jawdrop:
Good thing Rat already has good tickets and isn't looking for a 'lateral' move.