PDA

View Full Version : Francis suspended 3 games....

MagicRat
03-21-2005, 04:46 PM
That cameraman should've known not to touch Francis's stuff. If he just would've kept his meathooks off, none of this would've happened......

flying dutchman
03-21-2005, 04:59 PM
Only 3 games???? I think Ron should talk with Stern again!!

Hicks
03-21-2005, 05:09 PM
Weak.

ChicagoJ
03-21-2005, 05:14 PM
Portland/ Bobcats/ Bobcats.

That's not really even three games...

Eindar
03-21-2005, 05:46 PM
Bull! Anyone want to tell me there's no conspiracy now?

ImCrazyB
03-21-2005, 05:52 PM
I'm furious!!!

Kstat
03-21-2005, 06:15 PM
There HAD to be some kind of mitigating circumstance......I'd like to read the full report.

I was thinking 7 games minimum, simply because Francis didn't have Rodman's history.

Suaveness
03-21-2005, 07:54 PM
Wow....unreal

A-Train
03-21-2005, 08:24 PM
:spitout:

Lord Helmet
03-21-2005, 09:13 PM
3 games? :unimpress Boy, I wonder what the pre-brawl Ron would have got for that stunt :unimpress Stern, you are a disgrace. Franchise deserves at least 5 games off......

NewType
03-21-2005, 09:40 PM
Does anyone remember how many games Ron got when he broke the HDTV camera at MSG? Wasn't it longer than 3?

Jermaniac
03-21-2005, 10:32 PM
LMAO they took more time to make a suspension on this **** then they did with the brawl, good job Stern you just continue to amaze me.

Unclebuck
03-21-2005, 10:36 PM
Is there a video of this. Has anyone seen it.

Without a video I have little idea what happened

sweabs
03-21-2005, 10:39 PM
Is there a video of this. Has anyone seen it.

Without a video I have little idea what happened

I think I have seen some footage, but don't actually see the cameraman getting kicked.

Basically, Francis falls behind the basket, and comes near the photographer, although the camera recording only shows Francis.

The camera shows Francis sitting there on the ground, and kind of kicks his legs (into what I'm assuming is the cameraman) and you can see him utter some 'friendly' words.

Drewtone
03-21-2005, 11:56 PM
That cameraman should've known not to touch Francis's stuff. If he just would've kept his meathooks off, none of this would've happened......

You're number one on the death list now, Winger!

Shade
03-22-2005, 01:17 AM
David Stern is a biased, egotistical little ***.

That is all.

grace
03-22-2005, 02:44 PM
Bull! Anyone want to tell me there's no conspiracy now?

I kind of always assumed it would be something like 3 games. Unless you're someone like Artest or Rodman and you throw a punch at a player you get 1-2 games. Three games for kicking a camerman (I'm not even sure he actually made contact) seems right to me.

Since86
03-22-2005, 02:53 PM
I kind of always assumed it would be something like 3 games. Unless you're someone like Artest or Rodman and you throw a punch at a player you get 1-2 games. Three games for kicking a camerman (I'm not even sure he actually made contact) seems right to me.

I was under the impression that Stern wanted to "clean up" the NBA. He made an example out of Ron, that you don't go into the stands. By letting Francis slide with a love tap is no deterent for future incidents.

grace
03-22-2005, 03:05 PM
I was under the impression that Stern wanted to "clean up" the NBA. He made an example out of Ron, that you don't go into the stands. By letting Francis slide with a love tap is no deterent for future incidents.

O.K, next person to screw up gets burned at the stake! :death:

ChicagoJ
03-22-2005, 03:09 PM
I've always thought the league was lenient on this type of thing as a quiet admission that they let the camera guys position themselves too close to the playing court.

From what I understand, Francis was wrong but its not like he went looking for this guy to kick him.

Los Angeles
03-22-2005, 03:14 PM
I've always thought the league was lenient on this type of thing as a quiet admission that they let the camera guys position themselves too close to the playing court.

From what I understand, Francis was wrong but its not like he went looking for this guy to kick him.
He was at least looking AT the guy WHILE kicking him.

I don't think it was an accident.

My close proximity to someone at a game doesn't give them the right to behave in a violent manner towards me.

Can anyone provide a comprehensive list of the # of days Ron was suspended for each infraction leading up to the season-long ban? How many games for flagrants? How many games for fighting? Throwing the camera? I'd appreciate it.

ChicagoJ
03-22-2005, 03:20 PM
Some of those pricks also have a tendency to grab a player's legs when he tried to get up/ get back on the court.

All I'm saying is that they (camera guys) don't have a very good reputation with the players.

I'm not excusing what Francis did, just explaining why I'm not necessarily surprised the punishment is lighter than many of you wanted/ expected.

RWB
03-22-2005, 03:24 PM
Some of those pricks also have a tendency to grab a player's legs when he tried to get up/ get back on the court.

All I'm saying is that they (camera guys) don't have a very good reputation with the players.

I'm not excusing what Francis did, just explaining why I'm not necessarily surprised the punishment is lighter than many of you wanted/ expected.

Wow, this is wild. Not only do the players have to worry about rowdy fans but cut-throat camera people as well. :devil:

Since86
03-22-2005, 03:36 PM
O.K, next person to screw up gets burned at the stake! :death:

:laugh: Three games is hardly a deterrent. I don't know how many he should get, but three is isn't enough.

RWB
03-22-2005, 04:03 PM
You know Ron Artest has made some bad choices and should have followed the example of Francis. See If only Ron would have kicked a camera man instead of destroying a camera he would have been better off. Can't remember the exact game but Ron was suspended a complete game for starting to run on the court but immediately realized his mistake and returned to the bench. Yes the NBA is doing a great job of letting Ron Artest know what is acceptable by example.

ChicagoJ
03-22-2005, 04:31 PM
That was during the Boston series last season.

That rule has been in place for almost a decade. As we discussed at the time, ask Allen Houston, Patrick Ewing, et. al. what they think about it. Ron is certainly not the only one to fall victim of that rule. Ron isn't even the only Pacer ... don't forget Jalen Rose was suspended for basically the same thing - running down the sideline, stopping, and retreating - from Game #5 of the 1998 ECFs after Ron Harper pulled Reggie into the Bulls bench last in Game #4 @ MSA. Bird even tried to say "Jalen was checking into the game." :laugh:

RWB
03-22-2005, 04:43 PM
Jay, you are correct and believe it or not I do not have a problem with Ron Artest suspended for the year. For such a bone head move he deserves it and I'm an Artest fan. Like everyone else I'm just tired of this season and specifically tired of the way David Stern is running the ship. All I expect is consistency, fairness, and not being lied to. The main thing I would like to see is both Ron Artest and David Stern give a SINCERE apology for this season from hell. I personally don't think Stern cares and I have been involved/seen enough back door negotiations by a professional team to read between the lines (or lies).

ChicagoJ
03-22-2005, 04:56 PM
I wouldn't even mind a cage match with Stern and his lawyers vs. Artest.

Last man standing from the cage match gets to be pummelled by all the Pacers fans for putting us through this season...

:devil:

Eindar
03-22-2005, 05:07 PM
Here's why I'm upset. Stern had a precedent to go by for each incident. Vernon Maxwell got 10 games for punching a fan. So Ron gets 73 for holding a fan down, and only punching guys who are either punching him or threatening to punch him.

Rodman kicks a cameraman and gets 11 games. Steve Francis does the EXACT SAME THING and gets 3.

Taking past behavior into account is fine, and I agree with Ron getting more games than Vernon. He has consistently shown over the last several years that he has an anger management problem, and needs help.

However, Rodman vs. Francis is something where you're going to lose if you try to defend Stevie. Rodman wasn't known for violent outbursts, and really, wasn't any more...technical-prone than Steve Francis. The only difference between them is that Rodman expressed himself through tatoos and hair color (and the occasional wedding dress), whereas Steve Francis doesn't have that side-show, 3-ring-circus thing going for him. And that, my friends, should have no bearing on the suspensions levied. If Rodman got 11 games from Stern for kicking a cameraman, Francis should get 11 games from Stern for kicking a cameraman.

Since86
03-22-2005, 05:18 PM
However, Rodman vs. Francis is something where you're going to lose if you try to defend Stevie. Rodman wasn't known for violent outbursts, and really, wasn't any more...technical-prone than Steve Francis. The only difference between them is that Rodman expressed himself through tatoos and hair color (and the occasional wedding dress), whereas Steve Francis doesn't have that side-show, 3-ring-circus thing going for him. And that, my friends, should have no bearing on the suspensions levied. If Rodman got 11 games from Stern for kicking a cameraman, Francis should get 11 games from Stern for kicking a cameraman.

Lol......

One incident takes away that whole arguement. Rodman headbutted a ref. Plopped him on right on the forehead.

Eindar
03-22-2005, 05:34 PM
Lol......

One incident takes away that whole arguement. Rodman headbutted a ref. Plopped him on right on the forehead.

Bleh, one incident. And yes, I know he's been involved in other headbutting incidents against other players, but lots of players fight. That's not indicative of a mental problem. Meanwhile, Steve Francis has been in the top 3 in technical fouls the last 3 years (led the league last year).

Say what you want about Rodman, his on-court behavior was no worse than Francis.

Since86
03-22-2005, 05:36 PM
Bleh, one incident. Meanwhile, Steve Francis has been in the top 3 in technical fouls the last 3 years (led the league last year).

Say what you want about Rodman, his on-court behavior was no worse than Francis.

How about the numerous shoving matches? If you want to get into nonviolent, how about stripping? Flipping off fans? Rodman is the king of bad boys. He makes everyone else look like Boy Scouts.

I'm in no way saying Francis shouldn't have gotten more games, but saying that he's comparable or even worse to the Worm is hilarious.

Eindar
03-22-2005, 05:40 PM
Woah, hang on there Tex....

I'm not saying he's worse than the worm. What I'm saying is that Rodman got 11 games because of prior bad behavior. Steve Francis is a perennial leader in the category of technical fouls. So he has a "track record" of bad behavior as well. So, I think he should have received something along the lines of 7 games. His kick didn't seem as violent or malicious as Rodman's, either, so there's some comparison there, too. He should get less than Rodman, but they should at least be relative to each other. 3 vs. 11 isn't even in the same ballpark.

ChicagoJ
03-22-2005, 06:13 PM
I'm not sure technical fouls is the right barometer.

I'd look at suspensions. Franchise belly-aches to the refs a lot, but that's not the type of stuff that gets you onto SportsCenter and embarrasses Stern. Unless one reaches Rasheed-like proportion but the league still wasn't suspending him for getting technical fouls.

What I'm trying to say is that technical fouls can be managed in-game by the officials. The stuff that gets you a track record here is fighting, an excessive amount of flagrant fouls, supsensions, breaking HD camera equipment, etc.