PDA

View Full Version : Carlisle: Coach of the Year?

blanket
03-21-2005, 01:28 PM
This blurb from ESPN's Power Rankings got me wondering what others here think about the possibility/worthiness of Carlisle winning the Coach of the Year award:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/powerranking?season=2005&week=20

"Carlisle won't win 50 games for the first time in four seasons, but he has to be a Coach of the Year factor if Pacers can make the playoffs after all they've been through."

Thoughts?

shags
03-21-2005, 01:44 PM
Well, Carlisle was coach of the year his first season, had the best record in the East his 2nd season, and the best record in the league his 3rd season. But this has been his best coaching job.

I'd put him behind McMillan, ahead of D'Antoni.

Hicks
03-21-2005, 01:47 PM
He's worthy. I don't expect him to win.

DisplacedKnick
03-21-2005, 02:23 PM
I don't expect him to win it any more than Sloan did last year, or Rivers when Orlando went 41-41 with nothing, or when JVG took the Knicks to the playoffs with a 43-39 record after Ewing was hurt and LJ was our featured player on offense.

All those guys deserved it as much or more than the eventual winner and didn't win. I look at Rick as being exactly the same - my bet is that Stan VanGundy wins. McMillin and D'Antoni will be in the running too - this year these three all have outstanding records and great turnarounds to go with them.

Anthem
03-21-2005, 02:42 PM
Rivers won in Orlando.

Kegboy
03-21-2005, 03:07 PM
The way things are going, I'm not gonna start throwing out names for COY, because they might be fired before the season is over. :sarcasm:

ChicagoJ
03-21-2005, 03:11 PM
Carlisle could win because he might be the only coach standing at the end of the season. :shrug: