PDA

View Full Version : Colour me Curious

SoupIsGood
03-21-2005, 09:28 AM
I have a couple questions, about some things that I don't know about. Pretty simple, huh?

First, I have simply been assuming Jamaal is injury-prone, because he has gotten injured near the end of every year. Some have suggested these injuries aren't signs or being injury prone, just bad luck. So, anyone with any sort of medical expertise, what are the injuries? The result of poor conditioning, etc., or just bad luck? I'm willing to change my opinion.

Second, whatever happened to that letter the Pacers were going to submit to Stern/The NBA? I know they were waiting for the right time, supposedly, has that time come yet? -coughDD00cough-

Thanks, y'all.

SoupIsGood
Beans in the Nose

Hicks
03-21-2005, 11:03 AM
Good questions. I can't answer them, but I can bump this and 2nd the "Well? Can anyone tell me?" :D

Unclebuck
03-21-2005, 11:44 AM
Certain injuries are just bad luck. Broken hand like AJ and Reggie suffered in preseason. Freak eye injury like Reggie had in 1996.

Injury prone players tend to get knee, ankle and especially, especially feet injuries. Feet injuries to me are the telltale sign more than anything.

Right now Tinsley had what was first thught as a bone bruise, but we have sicne learned that he has a ligament or is it a tendon problem in additon to the bone bruise. Bone bruises take a long long time to heal.

Not sure I answered your question at all.

On your 2nd question. I believe the Pacers send in their letter

Ragnar
03-21-2005, 11:44 AM
I am very worried about Tinsley and his seemingly constant injuries. Earlier I think it was conditioning because he was not in what you would call NBA shape. But he seemed to be more this year and bang he is out again. I just hope he will be back soon and stay healthy for a playoff run.

As far as the letter who knows but I am to the point where I do not expect him to be back this year at all.

able
03-21-2005, 11:57 AM
The first year Tins was not in NBA shape, full stop.

The second, he was, but lost hius conditioning during his mother's ilness and subsequent death.
The 3d year he played more minutes, the whole season only to have a knee injury in the playoffs. a freak accident.
This year he played far more then ever before, was in the best shape of his life and had a relative small ankle injury, however due to needs he had to start (probably to) soon again, which would most likely lead to a slightly different way of walking/running, people tend to change their "footing" in a case like that, I still walk like a duck after 30 years, to relieve the pressure on what earlier hurt. this then leads to other injuries and in this case I believe that it was misdiagnosed in the first place.

The diagnosed him with a sprained ankle, send him out way before his time, and now say that he had torn ligaments, I would not be surprised if it was a stress fracture and/or torn ligaments to begin with and it was simply missed, very easy when it comes to the foot of an athlete.

I do not see any "proness" in this history, freak circumstances? yes. The first 2 years obviously considitioning was part of the problem, the last 2 years are just freaking bad luck.

ChicagoJ
03-21-2005, 12:53 PM
Muscular injuries are conditioning injuries (hamstrings, etc.) For example, Derrick McKey always had a hamstring injury the first week of training camp.

Ligaments can be either freak injures (think: Al's ACL, JO's shoulder; or conditioning as UB's foot examples show.)

Bones are generally freak injuries, except for stress fractures, which can be from overuse. Overuse is generally a by-product of conditioning... its not a lack of conditioning, sometimes its the "wrong" conditioning.

Coming back too soon from a leg/ foot injury, and limping while trying to go full speed, is an excellent way to tear a ligament or cause a stress fracture. Or both. So that could be labeled as 'conditioning' as well but instead of blaming the player for the lack of conditioning, you'd generally blame the training staff for rushing him.

I haven't made up my mind as to whether Jamaal deserves any blame for this latest injury, but it doesn't exactly give me a confidence boost in him, either.

3Ball
03-21-2005, 05:22 PM
Just to add, I do think the one Pacers now who I would call injury prone is Bender.

Tinsley is border line, but I have to agree with Able about last season (or was that two years ago?). I beleive it was two seasons ago under Isiah. I think losing his mother really tore him apart, and really had a big impact on his game [or lack there of]

I have to disagree that the NBA has been sent that letter. It was never stated by anyone, not the Pacers, IS, ESPN, anyone has stated that it was sent out. I dont beleive that something like that could be kept quiet.

As for when to send the letter out, I would have to think it would be soon.

My personal opinion is that "the letter" will hold as much weight as me going up to my professor and asking him to change my test grade from a "C" to an "A' because I studies a lot after the test. The Pacers may be able to work something out, but I tend to think it will have to be in a verbal manner, and I would think if it would have happened we would have known about it by now

Right. It's not like Stern is sitting in an office somewhere thinking, "Well, I might re-instate him if they sent in the official paperwork, but oh well."

gilpdawg
03-21-2005, 06:34 PM
I thought Tinsley got the "bruise/torn ligament" in Philly when someone stepped on his foot? That would be a freak thing. I remember that game he was just walking the ball up the court, then started limping, then called time and walked to the bench. Almost like he got hurt on the previous possession but didn't feel it right away. I don't know if most of you guys saw that or not since I had the Philly feed that night on LP. (I live outside the Pacers viewing area) But I seem to remember Montieth or somebody saying that somebody stepped on him.

Hicks
03-21-2005, 06:43 PM
Yeah, this wasn't his fault; it was a freak thing.

Bball
03-21-2005, 07:11 PM
I thought it was a mystery how Tinsley's injury happened... He just started limping on it. I don't remember which game but I thought they went back to the replay to check it and didn't see anything.

I could be wrong so I'm not going out on a limb here but I'm wondering if anyone else remembers it this way?

I'm sure our intrepid media will say he got ran over by the team bus if we all start speculating too much on him being injury prone.

-Bball