PDA

View Full Version : My quick thoughts from the Nets game

Unclebuck
03-20-2005, 06:33 PM
I only have a few minutes, but I know many of you were unable to watch the game today. As exciting as Friday night was today it was a rather lackluster game. Very frustrating.

Let me first say the Nets played a very, very good game. Vince was hitting from all over, and when he hits his threes, there not much you can do. But more than that the Nets played great defense. First time I've seen a team really take advantage of the Pacers weak inside offensive game. The Nets swarmed the perimeter and did not allow Jax, Reggie, and Fred get any good shots. Kidd played Reggie and he was all over him. Kidd is excellent at following players around screens as he defended Rip in the playoffs last season. Lawrence Frank for my money is an excellent coach.

AJ was outstanding today, he almost had a tripple double. Other than AJ no one else played well at all. Dale was pretty good, he played his game, but that was it.

Many of you say the Pacers need a power forward who can shoot the ball. Someone who can space the floor. And thus Croshere should play a lot more. You know what, I agree with the theory that a big guy who can shoot would be helpful, but the fact is Croshere is not the answer to solve that problem. In fact he is not a good shooter at all. Look at the stats, and make no mistake he gets wide open shots, I think teams really don't have any problem with Cro shooting threes.

I know I should not pick on the 7th, 8th and 9th men, but I can't help it. Eddie Gill and JJ just are not good enough to get regular minutes. Both are horrible passers, and really should not be on a good team's active roster. I know the pacers don't have any choice, and Eddie and James seem like nice guys who try, but they rerally don't provide much.

I give the Nets a lot of credit, they took the Pacers out of any type of decent offense tonight. They were able to cut off penetration and yet get out to open shooters.

I'll post more later.

grace
03-20-2005, 06:48 PM
Besides the game being very disappointing the give away was a piece of crap. Maybe I was the only one who got a Bummer Birthday dry erase board with a pen that didn't work.:( I was all ready to write "Hi Magic Rat! pacersdigest.com" on it and prop it up against the plexiglass in front of my seat.

On the subject of Pacer giveaways, maybe one of these days I'll have a garage sale so I can get rid of my extra Pacers lunch boxes, flags, and umbrellas.

Peck
03-20-2005, 07:44 PM
This was a very very very disheartening loss. We really really really could not afford to lose this game or the game in N.J. because of the killer week we have coming up. We will go from 6th back to 8th in a hurry this week & if we don't catch a break we might even drop lower.

For those of you that didn't get to see the game let me tell you that you missed the one breathtaking moment early on. Jackson went down after drawing a foul holding his leg & went to the locker room limping suddenly.

It really seemed to suck the air out of the place. He did come back but that was reall a very scary 4-5 min. span.

Just briefly I'll give the good the bad & the ugly.

The good.

As U.B. said Johnson was great today. You could barely ask for much more from a starting p.g. let alone a backup. He did about everything right today. Shooting, defense, passing you name it, he did it.

Dale was good as well. Not great but good. He had a double double & he did a decent job on defense.

Jackson was just ok.

Vince Carter & Jason Kidd both were very good today as well.

The bad.

Reggie. For as good as he was Friday he was almost that bad today. He reverted to the three point shooting, attempted foul drawing, non-driving player that he can be. He was aggressive, but he didn't take it up the middle much.

Foster. He really needs to learn that you can't just play positional defense without at least getting your arms up to pretend to block a shot. There were so many times today that when Dale was gone that he just could not cover the middle. He really shouldn't be listed as bad, just dissapointing because I thought he would have a better day.

The ugly.

If I could have traded Croshere for the Sasquatch mascot from Seattle today I would have. Not only was he ineffective, he was useless. This was one of the worst games he's played & that is saying something. Imagine as bad as you think Croshere being & let me tell you that he was worse than that.

Fred Jones was just as bad. I don't care how much he scored the guy sucked today. He bobbled 4-5 passes & kept dribbling out of control. He was not only a ineffective he was at times a detriment. His defense was God awfull as well, which is a suprise, but he was just horrid.

Gill sucked sucked sucked. There's not much else to say about him.

Man we have to win that game in N.J.

ABADays
03-20-2005, 07:45 PM
Inexcusable loss in my book. They are hurting, horrible on the road and we let them come into our house in an important game and take it from us. You could maybe swallow it if it was played in NJ - but not at home.

MSA2CF
03-20-2005, 08:45 PM
Well, I went, and I didn't think it was as bad as others have said. I'll admit it the Pacers played poorly, but I've seen them do worse before.

Anthony is playing the best basketball of his life, and it's due to a lot of hard work. He was out practicing from before they let the fans into the stadium and at least 20 minutes afterward; in other words he was practicing a ton before the game. Also, during the game in a timeout, he spent pretty much the whole time telling Rick and Mike about what was going on out there...I would not be surprised to see him as a coach in the future.

Dale did very well; had a few emphatic, powerful dunks and exceeded his scoring expectations.

Austin, like Peck said, was terrible. The only thing he could hit was a dunk; he missed 3's (wide open at that), long 2's (at least one), and even a free throw. I don't know what's wrong with him; he's been bad since the All-Star Break.

Jeff did okay; didn't get as many rebounds as normal.

Stephen was well-defended all game long. And it wasn't that scary to me when he limped out...Him and another guy bumped knees on a charge; happens all the time. He looked like he'd be fine to me. He had a couple of nice dunks also.

Reggie came out firing and didn't start off well...And he got into it with the woman referee; after a while she had it in for him. She was absolutely dreadful calling the game today. Reggie was pretty much a non-factor as the Pacers enjoyed making many stupid turnovers/mistakes. (P.S. I think Lawrence Frank should have been T'd up for walking all the way to the free throw stripe practically when the altercation between Anthony and someone else occured....But no ref noticed it; oh well.) He had a breakaway dunk following a steal of his; I enjoyed that...

Vince looked frustrated all game long; he was getting shoved and pushed the whole time...I believe that motivated him into having the type of game he ended up having.

And I wonder what the record for most jump balls in a game is...Seems like we had at least 3 today.

Happy birthday, Boomer!

It was a saddening loss, but it's not the end of the world.

Kegboy
03-20-2005, 08:52 PM
If I could have traded Croshere for the Sasquatch mascot from Seattle today I would have.

Yup.

Ugly game. Didn't help matters that we were sitting next to NJ fans. :puke:

As has been said, AJ's the only one who showed up. Dale played okay, but he still could have done a better job against Kristic.

Jack's injury was frightening. I think Peck's right, the arena never really recovered after that. The sad thing was, the crowd was really, really pumped beforehand. :shrug:

One thing I want to say. For all of you who crap on Vince Carter, I wish you'd seen this game. Forget about the points, they don't mean anything to me. He was an absolute monster on both ends of the court. Probably the best complete game I've seen from an opponent all year. I'm not a huge Larry Frank fan, but he's got Carter playing some serious D, so he's alright in my book. The Vince I saw tonight was the guy I was thinking of when I said over the summer that I'd rather have him over TMac.

I'll say it right now. New Jersey's making the playoffs. Hopefully it's not us they knock out when they do.

Kegboy
03-20-2005, 08:58 PM
She was absolutely dreadful calling the game today.

Oh yes, Ms. Palmer. Just goes to show you, the second I say something nice about an NBA official, they turn around and **** us in the *** the next time they call one of our games. I never thought I'd see the day she'd swallow her whistle. She usually calls everything she sees and some stuff she doesn't. At least those T's were in character.

And Tony Brothers is still one of the 5 worst refs in the league. I can't wait for the day I'm no longer paying their salaries.

Lord Helmet
03-20-2005, 09:08 PM
Well, I went, and I didn't think it was as bad as others have said. I'll admit it the Pacers played poorly, but I've seen them do worse before.

Anthony is playing the best basketball of his life, and it's due to a lot of hard work. He was out practicing from before they let the fans into the stadium and at least 20 minutes afterward; in other words he was practicing a ton before the game. Also, during the game in a timeout, he spent pretty much the whole time telling Rick and Mike about what was going on out there...I would not be surprised to see him as a coach in the future.

Dale did very well; had a few emphatic, powerful dunks and exceeded his scoring expectations.

Austin, like Peck said, was terrible. The only thing he could hit was a dunk; he missed 3's (wide open at that), long 2's (at least one), and even a free throw. I don't know what's wrong with him; he's been bad since the All-Star Break.

Jeff did okay; didn't get as many rebounds as normal.

Stephen was well-defended all game long. And it wasn't that scary to me when he limped out...Him and another guy bumped knees on a charge; happens all the time. He looked like he'd be fine to me. He had a couple of nice dunks also.

Reggie came out firing and didn't start off well...And he got into it with the woman referee; after a while she had it in for him. She was absolutely dreadful calling the game today. Reggie was pretty much a non-factor as the Pacers enjoyed making many stupid turnovers/mistakes. (P.S. I think Lawrence Frank should have been T'd up for walking all the way to the free throw stripe practically when the altercation between Anthony and someone else occured....But no ref noticed it; oh well.) He had a breakaway dunk following a steal of his; I enjoyed that...

Vince looked frustrated all game long; he was getting shoved and pushed the whole time...I believe that motivated him into having the type of game he ended up having.

And I wonder what the record for most jump balls in a game is...Seems like we had at least 3 today.

Happy birthday, Boomer!

It was a saddening loss, but it's not the end of the world.
Yeah, Anthony is playing his best basketball. And, I am very happy for him, I think he is a great guy and he deserves to be playing well. AJ was hitting shots and he was about the only consistent Pacer to make shots; which about sums up the game.

Dale Davis, what can I say? He played well in my book; at least what is expected from him. He gets us extra possesions and is a intimadating defender.

Reggie, just didn't have it going tonight.

Violet Palmer :puke: (Woman ref) She needs to be fired, she was one of the reasons we lost.

Diamond Dave
03-20-2005, 09:17 PM
Is there anyone in the world with more job security than Violet Palmer. The NBA could never get rid of her or they'd have the NAACP and NOW on their ***. I have no opposition to a woman ref, but as a ref Violet Palmer makes sure everyone in the building knows she is there. Call after call. I swear she purposely makes bad calls just as a reminder that she is reffing the game.

Unclebuck
03-20-2005, 09:40 PM
It took me a few minutes to figure out who this Anthony guy is you're referring to. Just like it does when people refer to just Davis. I never think of AJ or Anthony Johnson as just Anthony. And I never think of Dale or Dale Davis as just Davis.

Kinda like when someone posted something about Steve.

Vince Carter has the talent to be an excellent defendner, but he has played for some terrible coaches in the NBA and Lawrence Frank is by far the best coach he has played for. He has forced VC to go inside, and forced him to play defense. I'm sure that Kidd's attitude has really helped also

MSA2CF
03-20-2005, 09:44 PM
:laugh: Sorry, UB...The Pacers are like a family to me, so I just go by their first names a lot of the time.

MSA2CF
03-20-2005, 09:56 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/MSA2CF/5e4697c3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/MSA2CF/f7f0b823.jpgAs was said earlier, Kidd kept on Reggie well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/MSA2CF/1fff5419.jpg
Dale skies for one of his jump balls.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/MSA2CF/34b0425b.jpg
An example of bad passing seen throughout the game--Reggie barely makes the catch.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/MSA2CF/PacersGamevsNets098.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/MSA2CF/PacersGamevsNets100.jpg
I have several more photos; should I continue?

brichard
03-20-2005, 09:58 PM
I didn't hear or see the game, so I appreciate the input. Just looking at the box score, I would have thought Dale, Fred and Jax had pretty good games. Reggie looked like he had a so/so game, but even back in the day... it was tough for him to have strong back to back performances.

New Jersey just seems to be one of those teams we struggle to play. Their strengths seem to match up well with our weaknesses right now. I'm glad to hear AJ had another solid performance. He seems to be getting confidence, and we need him to have that.

Croshere has always been a part time performer. You can tell in the first five minutes if he is going to be a goat or a hero. He doesn't seem to have in between games.

Unclebuck
03-20-2005, 10:06 PM
What is the only thing worse than having two team mascots ?. Having 10 other team mascots in the building.

Hope the Pacers organization did not pay too much to get them there

skyfire
03-21-2005, 12:20 AM
Outrebounded by the Nets eeww..with Kidd and Carter going for 12 and 11 boards respectively, what happened there?

I've got Nedad Krystic on my fanstasy team? Can anyone give me a quick recap on his game? Looks like a pretty efficient line.

aceace
03-21-2005, 01:03 AM
UncleBuck agree with everything but you left out the horrible officiating / maybe I should say Violet Palmer. She blew about 3 big calls in the fourth when we cut it to 12 and had a little rally. T'd reggie for nothing, he was 30 ft from her, no one even knew he was talking to her. Called a foul on Dale when it was obvious the guy cleared out with his off arm. Completely missed Kidd stepping on the baseline which was right in front of her. Ok I don't go to many live games so i need a win when I'm there. Vince Carter over his Canadien Flu looked the old Vince, his matchups with LeBron are going to be some good ones.

**** I should have read the other posts before I responded ****

Lord Helmet
03-21-2005, 01:15 AM
UncleBuck agree with everything but you left out the horrible officiating / maybe I should say Violet Palmer. She blew about 3 big calls in the fourth when we cut it to 12 and had a little rally. T'd reggie for nothing, he was 30 ft from her, no one even knew he was talking to her. Called a foul on Dale when it was obvious the guy cleared out with his off arm. Completely missed Kidd stepping on the baseline which was right in front of her. Ok I don't go to many live games so i need a win when I'm there. Vince Carter over his Canadien Flu looked the old Vince, his matchups with LeBron are going to be some good ones.
I agree Palmer was horrible. She really really needs to be fired. She is just plain horrible and dumb. The T on Reggie made no sense at all. I think it really pissed Reggie off. She was giving Vince all the calls he wanted, if Vince stepped in the paint, he almost certainly got a call.

I really hate it when the officials decide most of the game. I dunno, it just seemed to me that they never really let the players play. There was a call about every 5 seconds, it got really annoying.

Now, the Pacers have to look at the game in NJ this tuesday as a must win. The Nets are pushing hard for the playoffs. And, we need to win our season series with them.

Peck
03-21-2005, 01:16 AM
Ok, a couple of additional things.

The refs. were bad today. Make no mistake they did not cost us the game, we blew that on our own, but there was a little to much of the whistle blowing for my taste.

Now to my next point. I've been very happy with the combo of Foster & Davis. I know it has it's limitations, particularly on the offensive end, but for the most part it's worked quite well.

I've even backed way off on Foster because as I said in other posts I just couldn't stand that we did not have any power players at our power positions. But since Dale is here all of Fosters qualities are being highlighted.

So since I've been praising Jeff I don't think it will look like I'm just ranting at the moon here with a small criticism.

Did you know that Dale Davis in 7 games had more blocks than Jeff has had all season long? 12 for Dale (In Indiana) & 10 for Jeff.

Now before we blow a gasket let me make one thing clear. I do NOT equate good defense to shot blocking. I know many great shot blockers who really are poor post defenders. Shawn Bradley comes to mind.

However it is a tool & it is a necassary tool to defend the post. You are not going to run in front of everybody & take a charge.

I never could figure out for the life of me why Jeff was is so bad at this. He can jump, he has good timing & he has good foot speed. All necassary tools to do this.

But in watching him today I noticed, he never raises his arms. The guy virtually played the entire game with his hands either out in front of him or to his side. Now I understand that this is good if your going to draw a charge but it does nothing from detering guards or small forwards from driving the lane on you.

Please Please Please understand I am not blasting Jeff. It's just an observation & in truth it's just something I'd like to see him work on. Positional defense is great in a one on one defense. But when Dale goes to the bench it's open season on driving the lane on us.

Last point.

In the past I've griped about our offense but yesterday I just felt we did a very poor job of stopping any dribble penetration. Our guards on defense just blew IMO.

BTW, does anybody know why James Jones only played 6 min? I thought he was very affective vs. Carter.

Hicks
03-21-2005, 07:57 AM
The more I read or think about Dale's effect on defense, the more I badly wish to see Ron, Jermaine, and Dale play together.

Unclebuck
03-21-2005, 08:11 AM
Now to my next point. I've been very happy with the combo of Foster & Davis. I know it has it's limitations, particularly on the offensive end, but for the most part it's worked quite well.

I've even backed way off on Foster because as I said in other posts I just couldn't stand that we did not have any power players at our power positions. But since Dale is here all of Fosters qualities are being highlighted.

So since I've been praising Jeff I don't think it will look like I'm just ranting at the moon here with a small criticism.

Did you know that Dale Davis in 7 games had more blocks than Jeff has had all season long? 12 for Dale (In Indiana) & 10 for Jeff.

Now before we blow a gasket let me make one thing clear. I do NOT equate good defense to shot blocking. I know many great shot blockers who really are poor post defenders. Shawn Bradley comes to mind.

However it is a tool & it is a necassary tool to defend the post. You are not going to run in front of everybody & take a charge.

I never could figure out for the life of me why Jeff was is so bad at this. He can jump, he has good timing & he has good foot speed. All necassary tools to do this.

But in watching him today I noticed, he never raises his arms. The guy virtually played the entire game with his hands either out in front of him or to his side. Now I understand that this is good if your going to draw a charge but it does nothing from detering guards or small forwards from driving the lane on you.

Please Please Please understand I am not blasting Jeff. It's just an observation & in truth it's just something I'd like to see him work on. Positional defense is great in a one on one defense. But when Dale goes to the bench it's open season on driving the lane on us.

Peck, I do agree with you. Jeff is not a good shot blocker, he tries the Karl Malone way of deflecting the ball before it leaves the guys hand. Peck, I've come to realize that Jeff does not jump very high, he jumps quickly, but not very high, and he certainly is not a strong jumper, meaning a slight bump and he has trouble jumping.

Jeff was interviewed after Friday night's game by Mark Boyle and he said something interesting. Because of his hip surgery he said he has lost a lot of strength on that side of his body and that has caused him to change his game a little. I think he has been running differently all season. He has lost a little spring in his step. Jeff said he won't get the strength back until summer.

There were times yesterday and in other games since Dale's been back when I've noticed that the lane is open whenever Dale is out of the game. Right now the Pacers need Dale out there for about 40 minutes per and that is too much for him. There were a couple plays yesterday where I thought if Dale was in they never would have gotten that layup.

But I've never said that Jeff is a very good helpside defender. He's not horrible because he will pick up a few charges and he is quick so he can recover and get into position.

Jeff is an excellent defender against the quicker power forwards in the NBA. Walker, Odom....., Jeff also does a very good job on KG and TD because Jeff is very good at fronting the post and as long as the team defense is good, Jeff can really excel.

J.O is excellent in help defense, blocking shots, but his one-on-one defense is only OK and not as good as Jeff's

Dale is great at both, one-on-one and help defense. Although Jeff might be a little better against the really quick guys 15 - 20 feet from the basket.

MagicRat
03-21-2005, 10:37 AM
Besides the game being very disappointing the give away was a piece of crap. Maybe I was the only one who got a Bummer Birthday dry erase board with a pen that didn't work.:( I was all ready to write "Hi Magic Rat! pacersdigest.com" on it and prop it up against the plexiglass in front of my seat.

How did I get there 40 minutes early with a 6 year old and a 3 year old and not get at least one of those pieces of :censored:?

We did get 4 books from Dr. Dunk, though.

And although UB wasn't too fond of all of the mascots, my kids thought they were great......

Doug
03-21-2005, 11:00 AM
There were times yesterday and in other games since Dale's been back when I've noticed that the lane is open whenever Dale is out of the game.

I didn't see the Nets game, but I thought this problem was particularly obvious in the Laker game. We kept letting their guards get to the rim. I know we are short of big men, but if the guard gets to the hoop for an uncontested layup... Man, does that p!ss me off. Don't worry about giving a foul or two. Lay him out (in a non-cheap way, of course). At least make him change the shot.

grace
03-21-2005, 01:53 PM
How did I get there 40 minutes early with a 6 year old and a 3 year old and not get at least one of those pieces of :censored:?

We did get 4 books from Dr. Dunk, though.

And although UB wasn't too fond of all of the mascots, my kids thought they were great......

We went to the season ticket holder kiosk.

As for the mascots they weren't bad at all. Whoever decided they should play dodge ball against kids should be shot.

aceace
03-21-2005, 01:58 PM
We went to the season ticket holder kiosk.

As for the mascots they weren't bad at all. Whoever decided they should play dodge ball against kids should be shot.

They could have at least let the kids win one game... bullys

Kegboy
03-21-2005, 03:01 PM
They could have at least let the kids win one game... bullys

It's really sad when you see grown men cheating at dodgeball against little kids. When you factor in what UB said about Boomer's salary, it's downright criminal.

MagicRat
03-21-2005, 03:23 PM
"It's one guy against 6 mascots!"

Poor gal's probably still upset.......(at least from where I was sitting I thought it was a girl)..........

Gyron
03-21-2005, 03:35 PM
Boomer makes $110,000 a year

Unclebuck
03-21-2005, 03:51 PM
Boozer makes 10,500.

No I don't know what he makes.

Boomer is actually one of the best mascots around, and I say good for him, make as much as you want, I don't doubt that he works hard during a game, and it has to be hot in that suit. Plus is is a very good athlete.

Frm what I hear Boozer is really jealous of Boomer, because Boomer is after all the "lead mascot"

I wonder how much the power pack makes. If they make more money than I do, then I'm going to explode.

ChicagoJ
03-21-2005, 04:05 PM
Boozer makes 10,500.

No I don't know what he makes.

Boomer is actually one of the best mascots around, and I say good for him, make as much as you want, I don't doubt that he works hard during a game, and it has to be hot in that suit. Plus is is a very good athlete.

Frm what I hear Boozer is really jealous of Boomer, because Boomer is after all the "lead mascot"

I wonder how much the power pack makes. If they make more money than I do, then I'm going to explode.

I know its a typo, but after Silas' comments about Carlos Boozer lately, confusing him with Bowser is absolutely hilarious in my book...

Suaveness
03-21-2005, 04:24 PM
Mascots make over 100K??? Man, I should just give up trying to be a doctor, and just be a mascot. Less work...

Unclebuck
03-21-2005, 04:28 PM
Mascots make over 100K??? Man, I should just give up trying to be a doctor, and just be a mascot. Less work...

Do you think Boomer has a lot of college loans to pay off.

Suave, how far along are you.

ChicagoJ
03-21-2005, 04:30 PM
Uh.... I thought the guy who played Boomer also worked a day job for the PSE...

3Ball
03-21-2005, 05:29 PM
I shouldn't say this, but this is exactly the kind of game we win if Artest is playing. Doees anyone think Vince could have that kind of game being guarded by Ronnie? Whew.

Boomer makes more money per year than 3 high school teachers combined? Sports salaries are so high they've just lost all sense of proportion! I wonder what Pacers Entertainment receptionists make.

Hicks
03-21-2005, 05:32 PM
Who knows if Vince gets in that zone if Ron's starting.

Unclebuck
03-21-2005, 11:18 PM
Remember several years ago Boomer blew out his knee whilke doing one of the dunks between quarter 3 and 4 and they had to have a replacement.

Unclebuck
03-22-2005, 10:17 PM
I'm bumping this because what occurred in the second half of tonights game was basically what took place for a full game on Sunday. I love the way the Nets play defense. They swarm the perimeter, and yet take away penetration. I have to say again Lawrence Frank has done a great job as Nets coach. If 8 years from now the Pacers are looking for a head coach for whatever reason, Frank would be fine with me, and that is the highest compliment I can pay a coach.

NotLosingButWinning
03-22-2005, 10:24 PM
it would have been nice if our defense had shown up in the second half. the nets were able to get whatever shot they wanted.

McKeyFan
03-22-2005, 10:34 PM
The stat line show they had twice as many assists. We would come down, especially at the end, and one guy would get the ball and shoot. No penetration. No passing around the perimeter. We have to be more disciplined at the end. That was the difference in the game IMO.

NotLosingButWinning
03-22-2005, 10:46 PM
also, i know that foster and davis aren't offensive guys, but we need to get more than 4 combined points out of them.

Unclebuck
03-22-2005, 10:46 PM
Not sure which thread to put this in,

But Kevin Lee just said that Tinsley is staying in NY to get a second opinion on his injured foot

SoupIsGood
03-23-2005, 01:24 AM

Doctor? So how far are you? I am planning on taking pre-med, and all that.

I think

So what do you think of it?

Peck
03-23-2005, 03:41 AM
I don't know where else to put this so I'm gonna put it here.

I hate losing to the God D@mn New Jersey Nets. I know they have some players with some talent & their coach is decent but other than that I think they suck & it kills me that we now suck as bad as they do & in fact we suck worse since for two nights in a row they beat us into the ground.

Man it sucks that unless Reggie is scoring in the high 20's we just have no shot at winning games.

The sad part to this is that in the playoffs I had hoped we had a chance vs. the Celts. but to me the Celts & the Nets play similar games & IMO the Celts are better.

I guess if we are gonna lose in the playoffs we might as well go ahead & lose to the Pistons. Cause like Bball said before in another thread, we might as well not give our team another mental hurdle to overcome by losing to another team.

I don't mean to be so pessimistic but I just don't know if Reggie can give us high impact games every night. I hope he can, but I just don't know.

Damn this sucks.

Bball
03-23-2005, 04:15 AM
I guess if we are gonna lose in the playoffs we might as well go ahead & lose to the Pistons. Cause like Bball said before in another thread, we might as well not give our team another mental hurdle to overcome by losing to another team.

Wow, I thought I was on an island with that thought and comment.

And I will add... I don't really want to give another team confidence that they can beat us in the playoffs.

I know the sunshiners will tell me that any team who gets confidence from beating these depleted Pacers will be cushed next season but things may not shake out that way. Confidence is confidence. Mix in some pride and ego and (with a Pacer loss) we just make another team a little mentally tougher.

-Bball

Bball
03-23-2005, 04:19 AM
There's no shame in losing to the Pistons....
Best GM and best coach in the business is a tall hurdle to overcome when they've got a balanced team at their disposal. And when you have the best GM it is pretty likely you'll have a balanced team come crunch time in the season.

Playing the Pistons the Pacers can't really 'lose' in the playoffs. Get beat badly and people agree this disaster of a season left the Pacers with no chance. Play them tough and people say this Pacer team doesn't know 'quit' and, even depleted, gave the Pistons a tussle. Beat the Pistons and the Devil starts building an igloo while the world gushes over the heart of the Pacers.

Meanwhile, mentally, only the Pacers have anything to gain and nothing really to lose. But lose to somebody else, especially a lesser team, and all bets are off.

-Bball

Doug in CO
03-23-2005, 07:52 AM
Peck - you think it sucked on TV? Try driving 2 hours to watch that crap. This season is just so damn painful.

Hicks
03-23-2005, 07:56 AM
I don't believe there's any chance of developing a 'mental hurdle' this post-season. We won't have 3 of our 4 best players, and the one that's still here already has a ring. Mental hurdle my ***; those 3 who will return won't even be there to experience the 'hurdle', the only ones who could possibly feel it are our other 8 guys, and that just does not worry me, even if it did happen (which it won't, I'll go ahead and call it). They know the situation; losing to anyone without your best 3 isn't shameful.

Take away Ben, Rasheed, and Hamilton from Detroit, do they even make the playoffs?
Take away Parker, Ginobili, and Duncan from SA, do they?
Take away Shaq, Wade, and Haslem from Miami, do they?

The answer to all 3 is almost certainly 'hell no'. This may be ugly, but technically we're doing GOOD right now. They know that there's no shame in losing to anyone this post-season simply because they GOT there to begin with.

:soapbox:

Doug
03-23-2005, 08:07 AM
Once the fouls started mounting up last night, we got really tenative on defense.

Suaveness
03-23-2005, 11:33 AM
Doctor? So how far are you? I am planning on taking pre-med, and all that.

I think

So what do you think of it?

Not far....I'm taking MCATs next year...and I cannot say I'm looking forward to studying for them.

But this whole process is pretty fun

indytoad
03-23-2005, 05:55 PM
Take away Ben, Rasheed, and Hamilton from Detroit, do they even make the playoffs?

Considering the way the bottom of the East has been so far and the way Prince has been playing lately, yeah, they probably would.

IndyToad
Makes funny noises

Kstat
03-23-2005, 05:59 PM
I'm pretty confident that Prince, Billups, Arroyo, McDyess and Delfino could make the playoffs. Heck, Prince and Billups would probably be all-stars with all the touches they would get.

Not that I'd ever want to find out.....

I also think Darko would shine with real minutes, something he's never gotten before. Laugh all you want, but he hasn't been given a chance yet. You can't prove a thing sitting on the bench.

C: Campbell
PF: McDyess
SF: Prince
SG: Delfino
PG: Billups

Bench: Darko, Arroyo, Hunter, Dupree, plus whatever we could pick off from free agency. Not a great bench, but I've seen worse.

Also, the Larry Brown factor would be key. That would be the kind of team he specializes in winning with. He's uncomfortable with a lot of talent.

skyfire
03-23-2005, 06:32 PM
I think Detroit would probbly make the playoffs with those players, but in much the same style the Pacers are attempting to atm, bottom half of the East.

Miami without Shaq, Wade and Haslem, no chance. Same for the Spurs. But both of those teams are built around dominant big men, while the Pacers and Pistons have deeper lineups.