PDA

View Full Version : QOD: 3/18

fooddaman
03-19-2005, 05:23 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_050318.html

Are Pacers Close to Record for Games Missed?

QUESTION
OF THE DAY
Conrad Brunner

Q. What is the NBA record for missed games from injuries for a team? (From Mike in Denver)

A. Believe it or not, the Pacers aren't even close. The NBA record is 519 player games lost to injury or illness, set by Toronto in 2002-03. At the moment, the Pacers' total is 231. If Jermaine O'Neal, Jonathan Bender and one other player (presumably either David Harrison or John Edwards) on the injured list all miss the remaining 19 games, that number will grow to 288. Depending on how many more games Jamaal Tinsley misses, the figure could approach 300.

Of course, the stat-keepers don't include games lost to suspension in that number and if you included the 124 games the Pacers have been penalized, their games-missed total would rise well above 400 by the end of the season.

A statistic that isn't tracked is the number of games missed by starters. So far, the Pacers' five projected starters (O'Neal, Tinsley, Ron Artest, Jeff Foster and Reggie Miller) have missed a combined 138 games due to injuries and suspensions. Add in the 31 games missed by Stephen Jackson, who was supposed to be the Sixth Man, and the figure grows to 169.

Here's a stab at putting that into perspective: of a possible 378 combined games played by the Pacers' top six players to this point in the season, they've missed nearly 45 percent. Which means the team has, on average, been at 55 percent strength, in terms of its best players, for the entire season.

Considering what one or two key injuries have done this year, and usually do, to other teams (i.e. New Orleans), that the Pacers have been able to remain in playoff contention is a remarkable accomplishment.

Anthem
03-19-2005, 05:49 PM
Here's a stab at putting that into perspective: of a possible 378 combined games played by the Pacers' top six players to this point in the season, they've missed nearly 45 percent. Which means the team has, on average, been at 55 percent strength, in terms of its best players, for the entire season.

Considering what one or two key injuries have done this year, and usually do, to other teams (i.e. New Orleans), that the Pacers have been able to remain in playoff contention is a remarkable accomplishment.

That's a really good way to break it down.

sweabs
03-19-2005, 05:52 PM
The NBA record is 519 player games lost to injury or illness, set by Toronto in 2002-03.

Oh, and what a season that was. Lenny didn't know what to do. I think by mid-season, the season was relying on an injured Alvin Williams and Mo Pete to carry the team.....:laugh:

I think that was when Maceo Baston made his appearance come to think of it - with all the big Maceo Baston talk as of late ;)

fooddaman
03-19-2005, 07:23 PM
That's a really good way to break it down.

Yeah, I thought it was a very well thought out answer to the question. I really like Conrad's writing.

tseramid
03-20-2005, 12:41 AM
I just looked at our roster...if you take our top 10 in terms of number of games played, it goes like this, out of 64 games so far:

Fred Jones 62
James Jones 57
Austin Croshere 56
Eddie Gill 55
Reggie Miller 48
Anthony Johnson 46
Jeff Foster 43
David Harrison 43 <- On IR
Jermaine O'Neal 41 <- Out for season?
Jamall Tinsley 40 <- Out indefinately?

The real race is whether or not the combination of Fred Jones, James Jones and Eddie Gill will play more games (174 currently) as our projected starting lineup (179 actual) by the end of the season. Remember, of course, that at full strength, James Jones may not even be on the 12 man roster and Eddie Gill would be the 3rd string PG (likely out of the playing rotation).