PDA

View Full Version : What can we do?

pacerDU
03-19-2005, 09:37 AM
Ok, we all know about Reggie's performance last night. We also all saw how emphatic he was about his retirement when asked if he would reconsider.

Pacer fans must do something to make him want to come back one more year!

This team next year can very likely (if everyone is available) win the championship. What would Reg feel like if this happened and he was on the sidelines. I don't think there's any doubt it would be the greatest day in Pacer history if we won the title, but there would be a slight hollow feeling if Reggie wasn't part of that. I think that would be felt not just from the fans, but by the players and the Pacer organisation.

I'm not sure if there are other reasons for Reggie feeling that it's time, but if his major reason is because he feels he's holding the team back, then I think the players on this team can all certainly tell him otherwise! There are very few people who feel this way.

I just find it very strange that he feels he should retire now?! I'm sure he realizes the Pacers championship possibilities for next season. Why does he not feel he should be a part of that?? Ok, it's no certainty that we'll win it, but next season is as good a chance as any.

Is there anything we as fans can do? Yeah, people can write letters, hold up signs and chant. That's great, unfortunately I just don't think that will be enough for him to reconsider. There needs to be enough impact for him to step back and say: "Wow, these fans really want me to be here".

Maybe Dale being back will help, I'm sure he'll talk to him. Does he want to retire because he wants to go out when he's still a starter and major contributor? That's understandable, but 1 MORE YEAR can't hurt! Is there some other reason he feels it's time.

Come on Reg - one more year! If the Pacers don't win it next year, then yeah, call it quits. At least you know you didn't miss out on that last chance.

What can we do? Any ideas?

MSA2CF
03-19-2005, 09:40 AM
Well, sorry to say this, but I think I'm finally ready for Reggie to go. If he wants to go, no one is going to stop him...but then Roger Clemens wanted to retire, twice, and didn't, so who knows. :whoknows:

Ragnar
03-19-2005, 09:40 AM
Ok, we all know about Reggie's performance last night. We also all saw how emphatic he was about his retirement when asked if he would reconsider.

This team next year can very likely (if everyone is available) win the championship. What would Reg feel like if this happened and he was on the sidelines. I don't think there's any doubt it would be the greatest day in Pacer history if we won the title, but there would be a slight hollow feeling if Reggie wasn't part of that. I think that would be felt not just from the fans, but by the players and the Pacer organisation.

I'm not sure if there are other reasons for Reggie feeling that it's time, but if his major reason is because he feels he's holding the team back, then I think the players on this team can all certainly tell him otherwise! There are very few people who feel this way.

I just find it very strange that he feels he should retire now?! I'm sure he realizes the Pacers championship possibilities for next season. Why does he not feel he should be a part of that?? Ok, it's no certainty that we'll win it, but next season is as good a chance as any.

Is there anything we as fans can do? Yeah, people can write letters, hold up signs and chant. That's great, unfortunately I just don't think that will be enough for him to reconsider. There needs to be enough impact for him to step back and say: "Wow, these fans really want me to be here".

Maybe Dale being back will help, I'm sure he'll talk to him. Does he want to retire because he wants to go out when he's still a starter and major contributor? That's understandable, but 1 MORE YEAR can't hurt! Is there some other reason he feels it's time.

Come on Reg - one more year! If the Pacers doesn't win it next year, then yeah, call it quits. At least you know you didn't miss out on that last chance.

Send in enough money to the Pacers that they pay him a max deal to stay just one more year.

grace
03-19-2005, 09:46 AM
pacerDU did you hear his post game interview on ESPN? Reggie said it was time for him to leave because at times he feels he's holding the team back. Plus the man will be 40 years old next season. One of these times when he falls down after hitting a 3 he's not going to be able to get back up.

pacerDU
03-19-2005, 09:47 AM
Send in enough money to the Pacers that they pay him a max deal to stay just one more year.

lol!

I don't think money has anything to do with it.

pacerDU
03-19-2005, 09:51 AM
pacerDU did you hear his post game interview on ESPN? Reggie said it was time for him to leave because at times he feels he's holding the team back.

I did see it, but I think that is total rubbish. Hes' not holding them back, not at all. He's just not the MAIN focus now. He's still a huge contributor to this team.

grace
03-19-2005, 10:13 AM
I did see it, but I think that is total rubbish. Hes' not holding them back, not at all.

There are a few people around here who would disagree.

Reggie's not going to change his mind. The sooner you accept it the happier your life will be.

pacerDU
03-19-2005, 10:28 AM
You're probably right grace, but I just think it would be such a shame if the Pacers won it all next year and Reg wasn't there.

It might be a long shot, but stanger things have happened.... like this season! :unimpress

Outsider
03-19-2005, 10:59 AM
Simple way to get him his ring (if we win it all next year)... called Assistant Coach.

grace
03-19-2005, 11:03 AM
Simple way to get him his ring (if we win it all next year)... called Assistant Coach.

Too bad he doesn't want to coach.

Brian Shaw is one of the Lakers assistants. At times it looked to me like he was doing more coaching than the rest of the Laker coaches were.

beast23
03-19-2005, 11:03 AM
I think the fans would have a much greater bearing on Reggie than money.

I suggest we immediately change the chant from "Reg-gie!" to "One more year!".

grace
03-19-2005, 11:07 AM
The Pacemates could take off all their clothes and dance to the "Reggie" song. I don't think it will make a difference. Actually, that might be the only way Reggie would change his mind.

Lord Helmet
03-19-2005, 12:43 PM

Come on Reg - one more year! If the Pacers don't win it next year, then yeah, call it quits. At least you know you didn't miss out on that last chance.

He isn't going to come back. He isn't going to change his mind (Already said there is no Michael Jordan stuff going on) All I can say is, this Pacer team, if we make the playoffs, they better give him one hell of a run.

MSA2CF
03-19-2005, 01:06 PM
He's only the main focus because our "top" players are out of the lineup, so next year, we'd be likely to see the Reggie of last year instead of this again. I think it was destiny that the top players "left" and left Reggie to lead the team, his team, to the playoffs and end his career on his own terms/going out like it always was. What a story...

Kegboy
03-19-2005, 02:09 PM
:shakehead

What we can do is respect his decision to call it quits and leave him in peace.

efx
03-19-2005, 03:01 PM
Here's a novel idea:

Why don't we just respect his descision? Let the man do what he wants.

Kegboy
03-19-2005, 07:36 PM
The Pacemates could take off all their clothes and dance to the "Reggie" song. I don't think it will make a difference. Actually, that might be the only way Reggie would change his mind.

It's about the only way I'd change my mind about getting tickets.

Bball
03-19-2005, 08:25 PM
If this nude Pacemate thing begins to become reality somebody please lmk asap as I might opt to take the Pacers up on the playoff tix/next season tix deal afterall.

-Bball