PDA

View Full Version : O’Neal Hopeful of Playoff Return

able
03-19-2005, 08:08 AM
Pacers.com Brunner (http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/oneal_050318.html)

(comment form me: What a class act this guy is)

By Conrad Brunner | March 18, 2005 Jermaine O'Neal confirmed Friday night he will miss the rest of the regular season with an injury to his right shoulder, but said he would not need surgery and was optimistic about his chances to return for the first round of the playoffs.

"Unfortunately, I am done for the rest of the regular season," O'Neal said. "There is a chance, if rehab goes well, that I can play maybe in the first round of the playoffs. It just depends on what the rehab does. I feel pretty good about it. I feel the possibility is probably greater for me to play in the first round of the playoffs than I felt two or three days ago.

"It's good news because I've talked to a lot of doctors. It's an injury that could take surgery but an injury that I should wait and let it naturally heal before I let somebody cut on me because it takes six or seven months to heal and that would put me out a little further going into next season. I've prayed and asked God to heal me and the last three days have been great for me. It's unfortunate that I won't be able to play any more in the regular season."

Speaking publicly for the first time since injuring his right shoulder in the Pacers' 96-87 loss in Denver on March 3, O'Neal called an impromptu press conference during the third quarter of a 103-97 victory over the Lakers.

O'Neal said he had not addressed his status previously because he didn't want to cause a distraction for the team.

"There's 14 other guys out there," he said. "We're going to win games and the addition of Dale (Davis) has really helped us a lot. We've got to keep doing what we've been doing, plugging guys in there. We don't have time to feel sorry for ourselves. We don't time to think about who's not out there.

"That's one of the reasons I don't like to talk when I'm hurt, because it takes away from the other 14 guys that's out there playing hard and doing what they should be doing. They deserve all the attention. When I get back healthy and I'm able to play, then I can get some attention from that, but not from being hurt."

O'Neal said his shoulder was initially dislocated but that he popped it back in place. He said the injury caused a tear in the capsule in the shoulder joint, a problem that can heal with time. If it does not heal on its own, surgery would be the next step but he said the recovery time would be at least six months.

"It's an injury that can be a little bit tricky and you want to take your time with it because if it doesn't heal, it allows the shoulder to slip right back out of place," he said. "I'm going to continue to do what I'm doing, rehabbing twice a day, icing it and taking my medication and hopefully things heal up to where I can come back in the first round. …

"I don’t want to really rush it because if that muscle tears completely, then my shoulder will fall out of place. We all know what happens when shoulders fall out of place. That can be career-threatening and I don't want to have to deal with that right now. I want to take my time and when I can get back out there I can get back out there."

The source of O'Neal's optimism for a possible playoff return was a Friday morning basketball game with his daughter. For the first time since the injury, he was able to shoot with his right hand.

"That's great news," said Coach Rick Carlisle, "but we've got to get to the playoffs first. We've put ourselves in position where we have a chance, but there's a lot of work to be done."

fooddaman
03-19-2005, 08:24 AM
I would have to agree with you Able, JO has turned into a class act. He had some issues with Maturity when he first got here, but I think that 4-5 years with Reggie has done wonders for him. He barely argues with the refs anymore.

It is really a pleasure to hear him speak anymore. Kudos JO! :highfive: :rockon: :thankyou:

Hicks
03-19-2005, 10:58 AM
I would have to agree with you Able, JO has turned into a class act. He had some issues with Maturity when he first got here, but I think that 4-5 years with Reggie has done wonders for him. He barely argues with the refs anymore.

Unfortunately that last part isn't true at all. He's regressed this season in that department.

Overall he's still "light-years" ahead of where he was.

fooddaman
03-19-2005, 05:59 PM
Unfortunately that last part isn't true at all. He's regressed this season in that department.

Overall he's still "light-years" ahead of where he was.

Really? I guess I haven't noticed at all. Maybe he is doing it in a different fashion? I have seen him talking with the refs during the next dead ball after after he felt a call was deserved.

"light-years" is a very accurate account of where he is today compared to when he arrived here.

NotLosingButWinning
03-19-2005, 06:21 PM
he argues w/ the refs instead of getting back on defense which then leads to a fast break opprotunity for the other team. it has happened quite a bit this season, especially during the 6 game losing streak.