PDA

View Full Version : We're in 6th place!

Suaveness
03-18-2005, 11:14 PM
Half game ahead of Chicago.

Too bad by the end of next week we may not even be in the top 8.

PacersandIU
03-18-2005, 11:39 PM
Nice to see we have some optimistic people on this board...

Unclebuck
03-18-2005, 11:50 PM
The Wizards and the Cavs also lost tonight.

Right now the Celtics are the third best team in the east, so playing them is no treat. They have won 10 out of 11 and won at Houston tonight. So I don't think 6th place is all that great anymore

3Ball
03-19-2005, 12:01 AM
Who could have guessed that Walker would have had THAT much impact? Wow.

Sollozzo
03-19-2005, 12:04 AM
It's ironic, Walker, Payton, and Pierce are can all be pricks, and can be cancers in some situations......but, for some bizarre reason, they gel perfectly together.

Los Angeles
03-19-2005, 02:41 AM
The Wizards and the Cavs also lost tonight.

Right now the Celtics are the third best team in the east, so playing them is no treat. They have won 10 out of 11 and won at Houston tonight. So I don't think 6th place is all that great anymore
Would you prefer 7th against the pistons or 8th against the heat?

I'll take the Celtics or Cavaliers any day of the week.

Eindar
03-19-2005, 03:42 AM
I would prefer the freaking lottery. There's nothing to be gained by getting our collective asses handed to us in the playoffs.

For the record, before the trade deadline I thought if we could get up to 6th we could compete with Boston and maybe even get into the 2nd round. Now, forget it. Might as well start watching the NCAA tournament to see who will be our steal this year.

Los Angeles
03-19-2005, 03:49 AM
I would prefer the freaking lottery. There's nothing to be gained by getting our collective asses handed to us in the playoffs.

For the record, before the trade deadline I thought if we could get up to 6th we could compete with Boston and maybe even get into the 2nd round. Now, forget it. Might as well start watching the NCAA tournament to see who will be our steal this year.
So you want the pacers to lose?

Dude, that's not cool at all. 14 teams in 14 cities will miss the playoffs this year, and thier fans will gladly trade places with us if we're in. To quot a recent post:

YOU PLAY

TO WIN

THE GAME.

otherwise, what's the point?!

Eindar
03-19-2005, 04:14 AM
So you want the pacers to lose?

Dude, that's not cool at all. 14 teams in 14 cities will miss the playoffs this year, and thier fans will gladly trade places with us if we're in. To quot a recent post:

YOU PLAY

TO WIN

THE GAME.

otherwise, what's the point?!

The point is winning a championship, and setting yourself up to win more championships in the future. We accomplish NOTHING by overachieving for the last 2 weeks of the season, getting rolled like a joint in the playoffs, and then getting a mediocre pick. It would be far better for our franchise, long-term, to not make the playoffs this season. This draft class will be unusually deep, and getting a lottery pick would be a coup for us. This will only be compounded if the HS kids think they're going to enact a 20 y/o age limit. This class will be flooded with young talent, and the next 3 years will be abysmal. This is the year you want a great pick. You know our picks for the next 5 years are going to be at the end of the 1st round, so when you have a bad season like this, the last thing you want to do is "save it". Trust me, I'm a fan of the Chiefs, who with the exception of 2 years ago, have started the last 4 seasons horribly, then pulled it together to finish around 8-8. Not bad enough to draft an impact player, not good enough to win a title.

I love watching the Pacers, I love watching them win, but I don't want to see an underachieving team start overachieving. I guess I'm just a hardcore fan who wants the best for the team, even if it means some sacrifice.

skyfire
03-19-2005, 04:28 AM
Isn't this years draft supposed to be pretty weak? The odds of us getting a good pick if we just miss the playoffs isn't that high.

RC doesn't seem very eager to give rookies consistant minutes i'd much prefer we traded our pick for any necessary cap space needed to sign a good backup PG. Time for LB to come good with all that euro scouting he has been putting in. Not that i'm dissing on AJ who has been playing great but to mitigate the risk of a Tins injury a 3 PG rotation would be good.

Making the playoffs this season, regardless of how far we go and who is on the roster, will be a bonus in experience and maturity, which this team sorely needs.

3ptmiller
03-19-2005, 05:35 AM
wooohooo :woohoo:

Manuel
03-19-2005, 07:51 AM

I've been thinking about that for a while now. The Celtics have been playing well lately. But, now with Jermaine and Tinman back for the first round I'm reconsidering. Maybe, 6th place isn't that bad after all.:D

ImCrazyB
03-19-2005, 08:12 AM
Gimme the Cavs or Wizards please.

Unclebuck
03-19-2005, 09:09 AM
Would you prefer 7th against the pistons or 8th against the heat?

I'll take the Celtics or Cavaliers any day of the week.

No, I want 4th or 5th. But I would certainly take 6th over 7th or 8th.

One other thing don't forget the Celts have Ricky Davis who is very talented

Reason I said that 6th is not all that great is because 6 weeks ago 6th place seemed like a easy way to go, but not any longer.

I can't take another playoff loss to the Celts. 2003 still haunts me

MSA2CF
03-19-2005, 09:13 AM
The surge of confidence this team would gain if it made the playoffs would be incredibly high, so I don't care who the Pacers are matched up against. They've got more will and reason to win than anybody in the NBA.

Hicks
03-19-2005, 09:47 AM
Isn't this years draft supposed to be pretty weak? The odds of us getting a good pick if we just miss the playoffs isn't that high.

I've seen people say that about every draft the last few, and I thought each one had a solid amount of good players. In my few years of watching the draft, most of the time they're "weak" when the idiot GMs don't know what they're doing, and the good ones take all the good players, and "strong" when it's a no-brainer even to the poor GMs, who to take in the 1st round.

grace
03-19-2005, 10:01 AM

Actually going to the playoffs would mean at least 3 or 4 more games for Reggie. I don't care what diamond in the ruff you think we'd get in the lottery, I'd rather watch Reggie play.

tseramid
03-19-2005, 11:12 AM

Name for me the last team to fail to make the playoffs and then win the championship the next year. Are you honestly telling me that getting Fred Jones, Jamaal Tinsley and others more playoff experience is not helpful? Besides, getting in the lottery would gain us, what...3, 4 spots in the draft? Who are we going to get at 13 that is going to push us over the championship edge that we couldn't get at 16?

No, I will continue to go into every game hoping my team will win. I suggest that someone who does not should become a Hawks fan...they never seem to have any problem looking ahead to next year.

canyoufeelit
03-19-2005, 11:16 AM
There aren't many 5 man lineups better than Payton, Davis, Pierce, Walker, and Blount/Lafrentz (not stiffs, but servicable IMO). That's about as tough a crunch time lineup as you can get

RWB
03-19-2005, 11:21 AM
I disagree but see exactly where Eindar is coming from. Someone has already mentioned it but the Spurs didn't become a championship team until they had the crappy season that got them Duncan. Just because Eindar wants a championship doesn't mean he's a bad fan. I've told myself several times THIS season maybe its a blessing and we'll get a decent draft pick. However, when push comes to shove as a fan there is nothing more exciting than playoff basketball so yes I'd rather be in the playoffs even if we're the eighth seed.

Suaveness
03-19-2005, 12:15 PM
The playoff experience everyone gets will be 10 million times more important than tanking the season for some silly pick. Do you honestly think that person will help us win a title next year with this deep a team? I don't think so. So you put your faith into your team, and they will play their best. All of the young people will get a chance to play significant minutes, and they will be the better for it. When it comes next year, and we are a top seed in east, this season and the playoffs will be beneficial.

dipperdunk
03-19-2005, 12:51 PM
It looks like Ainge hit a home run with his picks this year. West,Allen and Jefferson have all shown flashes this season and have bright futures. When you consider where those players were selected Ainge had a great draft. They also have multiple picks the next couple of seasons.

IMO the two sleeper teams that are poised to make a leap the next couple of seasons are Boston and Golden State.

Watching Golden State the other night that team is also stacked with good young talent. I remember before the draft joking around with Kerosene about Biedrins but watching him the other night I was really impressed with his style of play. Pietrus is a great young prospect, they stole Cabarkapa plus you factor in JRich,Murphy,BDiddy and Dunleavy I would love to have that roster in Philly right now. :D

PacerMan
03-19-2005, 05:51 PM

It's called experience. And being a winner to get there.
Not packing your bags like some sad sack loser. Plenty of those teams.
Pacers AIN'T one of them.

PacerMan
03-19-2005, 05:53 PM
The point is winning a championship, and setting yourself up to win more championships in the future. We accomplish NOTHING by overachieving for the last 2 weeks of the season, getting rolled like a joint in the playoffs, and then getting a mediocre pick. It would be far better for our franchise, long-term, to not make the playoffs this season. This draft class will be unusually deep, and getting a lottery pick would be a coup for us. This will only be compounded if the HS kids think they're going to enact a 20 y/o age limit. This class will be flooded with young talent, and the next 3 years will be abysmal. This is the year you want a great pick. You know our picks for the next 5 years are going to be at the end of the 1st round, so when you have a bad season like this, the last thing you want to do is "save it". Trust me, I'm a fan of the Chiefs, who with the exception of 2 years ago, have started the last 4 seasons horribly, then pulled it together to finish around 8-8. Not bad enough to draft an impact player, not good enough to win a title.

I love watching the Pacers, I love watching them win, but I don't want to see an underachieving team start overachieving. I guess I'm just a hardcore fan who wants the best for the team, even if it means some sacrifice.

So you think that a team that gives up now, could suddenly have a chance later? Doesn't work that way.
Winners NEVER quit. Quitters never win...............................bank it.

PacerMan
03-19-2005, 05:56 PM
There aren't many 5 man lineups better than Payton, Davis, Pierce, Walker, and Blount/Lafrentz (not stiffs, but servicable IMO). That's about as tough a crunch time lineup as you can get

Watch them get their tails waxed come playoff time.
's why they got rid of Walker in the first place.

Anthem
03-19-2005, 06:39 PM
No doubt the Celts are much improved, but they're also on what is, by far, the easiest stretch of any of the Eastern playoff teams. I'm not sure if I'd rather play the Celts, Wiz, or Cavs.

I guess we should just try to win all of our games and see what happens.

Anthem
03-19-2005, 06:42 PM
Half game ahead of Chicago.

Too bad by the end of next week we may not even be in the top 8.

Barring yet another injury, I don't see how we're going to fall out of the playoffs.

Who's going to take our spot? Orlando (31-34)? New Jersey (30-36)? New York (27-36)?

In the next week or so it will be time to start a magic number thread.

Suaveness
03-19-2005, 08:21 PM
Did you look at who we are playing next week? NJ twice, SA, Detroit, and Miami after that, not to mention Chicago. You tell me how many of those games we can really win.

Destined4Greatness
03-19-2005, 08:29 PM
None are going to be easy wins but we can beat Chiacago, and NJ if we play hard. The others will take some slacking on the other teams part. Of course something about Indiana seems to kick the crap out of Miami.

Anthem
03-19-2005, 08:32 PM
We can win half of those games.

fooddaman
03-19-2005, 08:55 PM
Barring yet another injury, I don't see how we're going to fall out of the playoffs.

Who's going to take our spot? Orlando (31-34)? New Jersey (30-36)? New York (27-36)?

In the next week or so it will be time to start a magic number thread.

I thought there was one already started, like 2 weeks ago...

Yes, I found it and gave it a bump...

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9562&page=1&pp=25

Jermaniac
03-19-2005, 09:05 PM
Bulls leading the Sixers 74-73 right now

fooddaman
03-19-2005, 09:10 PM
Bulls are on the road and don't play too well, but then Phila has that whole CWebb distraction thing going on

Lord Helmet
03-19-2005, 09:56 PM
Bulls won.

Eindar
03-20-2005, 02:44 AM
The playoff experience everyone gets will be 10 million times more important than tanking the season for some silly pick. Do you honestly think that person will help us win a title next year with this deep a team? I don't think so. So you put your faith into your team, and they will play their best. All of the young people will get a chance to play significant minutes, and they will be the better for it. When it comes next year, and we are a top seed in east, this season and the playoffs will be beneficial.

Sure, the 13th vs. 16th isn't going to be the difference between us losing or winning a championship next year. But then again, with everyone healthy, neither is James Jones getting 10 minutes per for 5 or 6 games. Next year, he won't even see the court unless there's an injury to Artest or Jackson. The only guys on this team who haven't been in the playoff pressure cooker are James Jones, David Harrison, and Eddie Gill, our 3rd string PG, SF, and C. Every other guy on our roster has been at least as far as the conference finals. Getting beat in the first round does nothing for the 3 guys who haven't played in the playoffs before, as these 3 guys won't even get many minutes this year, much less next year or the years after.

I'm not even saying the 13th vs. the 16th will make the difference in us winning a championship in any year. But when we go to pawn off an expiring contract or make a deal, the club we're dealing with may have a guy they want at 13 but won't be available at 16. That's one spot where it's better to not be in the playoffs. Bottom line is, I can guarantee you that there will be visible dividends to getting the 13th vs. 16th pick. Can you really say the same for James Jones and Eddie Gill getting 10 minutes per game in the 1st round of the playoffs, only to be buried on the bench next year?

Eindar
03-20-2005, 02:46 AM
So you think that a team that gives up now, could suddenly have a chance later? Doesn't work that way.
Winners NEVER quit. Quitters never win...............................bank it.

Don't get confused. I never said I want the guys to just phone it in. I'm just saying that, as a fan, I think we'd be in a better position, overall, if we didn't make the playoffs.