PDA

View Full Version : Does any one else think that

shags
03-18-2005, 11:25 PM
Gray likes to create controversy where there is none.

A couple of weeks ago, after the Pistons beat the Lakers easily in L.A, he interviewed Tayshaun Prince, and asked him something about what the key to winning the game was.

Tayshaun answered that by watching film they saw that the Lakers were a bad team in getting back on defense, and they were able to exploit that.

Gray's followup, with a s***-eating smile on his face, was "Are you saying the Lakers are a bad team?"

Tayshaun said, No, I said they're not very good at getting back on D.

In that situation, I thought Prince was being nice. Cuban called him out on a similar situation with Dirk.

kerosene
03-19-2005, 01:57 AM
I doubt you'll get much argument about him being a complete idiot around here. I despise the guy. Wasn't he all like "We won!" celebrating with the Lakers after they won a couple seasons ago? Whatta dolt.

Kstat
03-19-2005, 02:05 AM
Yeah, I remember Gray's comments to tay, OBVIOUSLY trying to lead him into instigating comments. Tay is probably more well-spoken that Jim Gray is, and he was obviously insulted by what he was trying to do.

Jim Gray wants to be this generation's Amad Rashad: his problem is, Kobe ain't Jordan, and attatching his mouth firmly to Kobe's **** isn't going to make him look any more popular in the eyes of the public.

Anyone else remember the 2000 World Series, when Chad Curtis hit the game-winning home run, jim gray went up to him right after the game ended and asked him about the home run, and he said, "we all agreed that none of us are ever going to talk to you." and then he walked away. On live TV. After a WORLD SERIES game. Gray looked like he was going to cry, it was so funny.....

Eindar
03-19-2005, 04:04 AM
Yeah, I remember Gray's comments to tay, OBVIOUSLY trying to lead him into instigating comments. Tay is probably more well-spoken that Jim Gray is, and he was obviously insulted by what he was trying to do.

Jim Gray wants to be this generation's Amad Rashad: his problem is, Kobe ain't Jordan, and attatching his mouth firmly to Kobe's **** isn't going to make him look any more popular in the eyes of the public.

Anyone else remember the 2000 World Series, when Chad Curtis hit the game-winning home run, jim gray went up to him right after the game ended and asked him about the home run, and he said, "we all agreed that none of us are ever going to talk to you." and then he walked away. On live TV. After a WORLD SERIES game. Gray looked like he was going to cry, it was so funny.....

I'd pay 20 dollars for a clip of that I could save on my computer :D

Doug in CO
03-19-2005, 08:12 AM
I am not sure anyone really like Ahmad Rashad - in fact, I think he embarassed himself just as much as Gray did with his softball questions.

Problem was, NBC and everyone had to put up with him because he is the only one Jordan would speak to. Class guy that Jordan.

Unclebuck
03-19-2005, 09:30 AM
Let me first say that being a sideline reporter must be the worst job in sports.

But I must admit that I have no problem with Jim Gray, in fact I think he is maybe a little annoying but good as his job. But what sideline reporter is not annoying. Look at Craig Sager.

So no I don't think Jim Gray is a complete idiot and I have no problems with him

grace
03-19-2005, 09:58 AM
Donnie must not dislike him too much. They sure talked long enough. I bet it was at least 5 minutes before the on air interview started. Donnie and Jim talked the whole time they were waiting. I'd love to know what they were talking about.

efx
03-19-2005, 03:07 PM
Isn't his Laker favoritism tracable back to the fact that he knew Kobe when Kobe was only a few years old?

Personally, I can't stand him. But then, I've never seen the point of half-time or post-game interviews.

Rasheed was so on the mark with his "Both teams played hard" spiel because that answer is exactly what those formulaic, non-interesting questions being asked are all about.

At least I can look at Sager and laugh at his wardrobe.

Hicks
03-20-2005, 04:59 PM
He looks like a tool and a worm today. First when asking Popovich about Duncan before the 3rd, Gregg is in mid sentence in a long answer, and Gray cuts him off to ask another question.

Now we get video of him all but getting in Tim Duncan's, in cruches, way while sticking a mic in his face and asking questions as he's trying to work his way down the back tunnels of the arena to get to a car.

grace
03-20-2005, 06:33 PM
The first thing they teach you in reporter school is how to be the biggest a$$ possible.

dipperdunk
03-20-2005, 08:26 PM

Yeah, he is a moron. The Yankees did that in support of Pete Rose because of the way Gray had conducted his interview with Rose during the All-Century team ceremony. I think Gray's father in law is a top level executive with NBC that is probably how he manages to keep the job.

tseramid
03-20-2005, 08:32 PM
I'd agree except that Jim Gray works for ABC/ESPN, not NBC now.

dipperdunk
03-20-2005, 10:29 PM
I'd agree except that Jim Gray works for ABC/ESPN, not NBC now.

:blush:

brichard
03-20-2005, 10:38 PM
Jim Gray is everything that is wrong with journalism. His goal is to provide some type of shock moment and create discord. One of the things I like about Sports is the opportunity to get away from reality TV crap that floods every other channel. Gray should just stick to sports and the lightning rods for attention (ie Barkley, Rodman, Artest) will provide the fireworks without prompting.

Jim Gray is a tool.... well said.

SoupIsGood
03-20-2005, 10:59 PM
+1