PDA

View Full Version : Jermaine's Interview on ESPN.

Anthem
03-18-2005, 08:17 PM
Jermaine confirms he's out for the regular season, but will not need surgery and will play in the first round.

Jermaine campaigns for Ron to come back, saying he's learned his lesson and deserves a chance to prove he's a changed man.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Did anyone tape this game? We'll want to discuss it this weekend.

Lord Helmet
03-18-2005, 08:23 PM
Sorry, Anthem I didn't see this. I posted something about this in the game thread. Yeah, I saw it. JO also said he is feeling good and is getting his strength back. :)

No, I didn't tape the interview.

Ragnar
03-18-2005, 08:36 PM
I got the interview I will post it after the game

Anthem
03-18-2005, 08:49 PM
All right, now that it's halftime I wanted to talk about this. I noticed that Ragnar's pulling down the game, so I hope he or somebody will put out a clip of the interview for all of us to watch and discuss.

Now Jermaine's a quality guy, and I would fully understand if he gave some mild support to Ron for PR reason (Jermaine's "nice guy" PR, not Ron's). But that's not what he said. He said 3 or 4 things that I wouldn't expect if there were deep-seated problems between him and Ron. In the "regular season" thread, Jay talked about "when Ron gets back, will there be problems between him and Jermaine?" But as far as the team chemistry is concerned, Ron's already back. He's practicing with the team every day. So if there are issues between him and Jermaine, you'd expect them to come up.

But look at the stuff Jermaine says about Ron. He says 73 games is more than enough, and that Ron should, at the very least, be allowed to play in the playoffs. He says Ron deserves the chance to play this year "not only to clear his name as a player but to prove himself as a person" (not an exact quote). He says for the team to win, it's important to have Ron back. He gave no indication that anybody on the team would be any problem with Ron back.

If there are serious chemistry issues between Ron and Jermaine, I'm not seeing them. In fact, I'm not seeing the slightest indication that anyone on the Pacers doubts that the suspension has had a transformation on Ron. We've heard from Walsh, Bird, Carlisle, and Jermaine.

What will it take to put the chemistry rumors to bed?

Jermaniac
03-18-2005, 09:08 PM
I agree with you Anthem, but people here are just looking for stuff to bash Ron on.

shags
03-18-2005, 09:13 PM
All right, now that it's halftime I wanted to talk about this. I noticed that Ragnar's pulling down the game, so I hope he or somebody will put out a clip of the interview for all of us to watch and discuss.

Now Jermaine's a quality guy, and I would fully understand if he gave some mild support to Ron for PR reason (Jermaine's "nice guy" PR, not Ron's). But that's not what he said. He said 3 or 4 things that I wouldn't expect if there were deep-seated problems between him and Ron. In the "regular season" thread, Jay talked about "when Ron gets back, will there be problems between him and Jermaine?" But as far as the team chemistry is concerned, Ron's already back. He's practicing with the team every day. So if there are issues between him and Jermaine, you'd expect them to come up.

But look at the stuff Jermaine says about Ron. He says 73 games is more than enough, and that Ron should, at the very least, be allowed to play in the playoffs. He says Ron deserves the chance to play this year "not only to clear his name as a player but to prove himself as a person" (not an exact quote). He says for the team to win, it's important to have Ron back. He gave no indication that anybody on the team would be any problem with Ron back.

If there are serious chemistry issues between Ron and Jermaine, I'm not seeing them. In fact, I'm not seeing the slightest indication that anyone on the Pacers doubts that the suspension has had a transformation on Ron. We've heard from Walsh, Bird, Carlisle, and Jermaine.

What will it take to put the chemistry rumors to bed?

There's not much you can take from O'Neal's answer about Artest. I saw the interview (both the Pistons and NCAA were at commercial), and Gray asked O'Neal if he thought Artest deserved to be back for the playoffs.

O'Neal gave the answer every single person in the Pacers organization would have given: Yes.

If Gray had asked O'Neal if he thought Artest should return Sunday, O'Neal would have given the same answer as every single person in the Pacers organization: Yes.

If Gray had asked O'Neal if he thought Artest should return on April 1st, O'Neal would have given the same answer as every single person in the Pacers organization: Yes.

Catch my drift. I don't think you can derive anything from that question.

Ragnar
03-18-2005, 09:16 PM
Is able up? If not I can try and send it to someone else. It is 25mb so I dont think I can email this one like I did with the Freddie slam dunk. Does anyone know if Yahoo IM can transfer that big of a file?

Anthem
03-18-2005, 09:20 PM
And Walsh crushes all hope of Ron coming back.

Anthem
03-18-2005, 09:21 PM
shags, you're right about a "yes" answer. I expected that no matter what. It was the other stuff that caught my attention.

beast23
03-18-2005, 09:22 PM
I saw the interview as well, and also believe that JO's comments regarding Artest seemed genuine.

O'Neal did not say that he WAS going to play in the playoffs. He just said that he will not go the route that involves surgery, and that he has concluded after meeting with several doctors that time and rehab may put his shoulder back into shape.

But he did say that he is making very good progress with it, so much so that he will continue to work hard with the goal of playing in the playoffs.

Ragnar
03-18-2005, 09:57 PM
http://s17.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=045N5V9Z3XGXC11RQI55DO8BJ7

Here it is guys.

MagicRat
03-19-2005, 12:15 AM
I'm a little perturbed with JO for big-timing the local guys and waiting to give this info to ESPN.

Slick wondered aloud during the game why he hadn't been speaking to the local media and Boyle said, "I gave up trying to figure out anything these guys do a long time ago....."

Ragnar
03-19-2005, 12:16 AM
I had not thought about it that way but good point.

Lord Helmet
03-19-2005, 12:20 AM
I'm a little perturbed with JO for big-timing the local guys and waiting to give this info to ESPN.

Slick wondered aloud during the game why he hadn't been speaking to the local media and Boyle said, "I gave up trying to figure out anything these guys do a long time ago....."
Yeah, in the 2nd QTR he was interviewed by Jim Grey of ESPN. Then, in the 3rd or 4th QTR he was interviewed by Paetz.

Ragnar
03-19-2005, 12:23 AM
Yeah, in the 2nd QTR he was interviewed by Jim Grey of ESPN. Then, in the 3rd or 4th QTR he was interviewed by Paetz.

Crap this was on FSN and I watched the ESPN feed:mad:

Will Galen
03-19-2005, 12:31 AM
I think it's just circumstances that he talked to the media today.

The first thing is this quote found on pacers.com; "The source of O'Neal's optimism for a possible playoff return was a Friday morning basketball game with his daughter. For the first time since the injury, he was able to shoot with his right hand."

So what it amounted to was JO was feeling better, and he's in better spirits, and it just happened to be a national game.

Anthem
03-19-2005, 12:31 AM
Thanks man.

Quotes from Jermaine when Jim asked if he was "optimistic" that Ron could return for this year's playoffs:

I hope so, for our team. Obviously Ron is a big part of what we do and we've missed him dearly. 73 games is a long time, and I think he's learned his lesson. Everybody involved has learned their lesson. I think once those 73 games are up, I hope the commissioner would let him come back and give him the opportunity to come back, not only to play basketball but to prove himself as a person to the rest of the public.

Call me Sammy Sunshine, but that's huge. Here's four parts I'd like to point out for people that say the team hates Ron:

"we've missed him dearly."
"he's learned his lesson."
"I hope the commissioner would let him come back"
"give him the opportunity to come back... to prove himself as a person to the rest of the public" (implying he's already proved himself to the team).

I don't know what Ron did, but it must have been something to make Jermaine and Bird so absolutely sure he's a changed man.

Anthem
03-19-2005, 12:38 AM
Interesting that the Pacers seem to have given up on getting him back for the regular season, but are now pushing to get him back in the playoffs. People are saying "73 games" as if that was Stern's punishment, even though it wasn't. Stern originally said "the rest of the season." But if people hit the "73 games" angle, Stern could say he upheld his punishment and still come off as lenient.

There's a major PR win in there somewhere, but I'd rather get him back at game #60.

grace
03-19-2005, 10:32 AM

Slick wondered aloud during the game why he hadn't been speaking to the local media and .."

..grace said "Because the Pacers wanted him to keep his mouth shut until after the season ticket holders had already turned their money in for the playoffs." ;)

Actually it sounds more like he's been too busy getting second, third, and fourth opinions to be able to give any interviews. I assume the spur of the moment press conference he had after the ESPN interview was because David Benner pointed out to Jermaine that he still hadn't talked to the local media yet.

sixthman
03-19-2005, 02:17 PM
Isn't it clear JO did not know what exactly was wrong and when he would come back. Ditto the Pacers. Really they still don't know.

Conspiracy theories abound on this board, but I think the truth is even the meds can't say how long it will take for JO to get well enough to play.

TheSauceMaster
03-19-2005, 06:06 PM
I guess for the Ron Artest haters there will always be a excuse for them to think there is still tension between JO and Ron. I do think at one point there was some problems between Ron and JO , but maybe they acted like 2 adults and settled there diffrences at some point. I guess it's a 2 way street and you have the haters and the lovers , Now if the whole team and management said they all needed Artest and swore on the bible the haters would still not believe.

JO doesn't strike me as someone who just says something just to look good.