PDA

View Full Version : Artest to Return? (A Stern Conspiracy Theory)

cariocapacer
03-18-2005, 06:48 PM
Has anyone else thought that David Stern might reinstate Artest as another way of sticking it to the Pacers. Think about it, Stern reinstates Artest because he knows that the Pacers won't go anywhere in the playoffs w/o J.O.. By doing this he accomplishes the following:

1. Ensures the Pacers will make the playoffs and have no chance at the draft lottery.

2. Looks like a compassionate, good guy who has mercy, thus elevating his image.

3. Gets the union off his back for handing out such a harsh punishment

It really would be a no lose situation for Stern, particularly if he wanted to mess more with the Pacers.

Doubt it will happen but I also wouldn't be surprised if it did.

Deadshot
03-18-2005, 06:52 PM
I haven't seen this idea tossed around too much, but some have predicted various times for various reasons. Another reason I've seen that benefits Stern would be having Artest come back before our stretch of national TV games.

Destined4Greatness
03-18-2005, 06:58 PM
If Artest came back we could make some noise in the Playoffs, if we are 4-6th seed

Deadshot
03-18-2005, 07:18 PM
If Artest came back we could make some noise in the Playoffs, if we are 4-6th seed

That's the issue - we most likely won't be 4th-6th seed.

Eindar
03-19-2005, 05:01 AM
It has always been my position that if Artest were going to be allowed back, it wouldn't be until Stern was confident that we weren't going to make any noise in the playoffs, and now, sitting in the 6th spot, we're in good of a position for Ron to come back. First off, we'd have to go to Boston, where fans have already thrown batteries and coins at Artest from the stands. Add in that it's a playoff atmosphere, and Boston would be the worst kind of pressure cooker you could have Artest stewing in.

Second, if we managed to beat Boston and get on a roll, there is the outside chance that we could win a championship. How do you think Pacers fans will react if Stern has to come to our house this year? How about at a trophy presentation ceremony? If you think any less than 5 beers will be thrown at Stern, you're nuts.

It's just a bad scenario all the way around. In Stern's perfect world, we'd be sitting about 10 games below .500 now and he could let Artest come back early with no fears of us making the playoffs, and still look like the forgiving dictator.

grace
03-19-2005, 11:17 AM
First of all Donnie said last night he doesn't think Ron will be back for the playoffs. Secondly, I don't think Ron will be back for the playoffs. Stern isn't going to let it happen. I've always thought that if we didn't make the playoffs Stern would come out and say, "In the back of my mind I was always going to let Ron back for the playoffs. Too bad they didn't make it.:devil:"