PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts About Next Year

Los Angeles
03-18-2005, 02:47 PM
OK - I've read about Carlysle's comments during his weekly show, and this was the hypothetical starting lineup he proposed:

Tinsley
Miller
Artest
O'Neal
Davis

I'm going to assume the following:
1) Miller retires like he says he will (I give it 90% chance)
2) Davis signs on for 1-3 more seasons
3) J. Jones and Gill are in consideration for signing extensions/new deals
4) Bender remains a non-factor in personnel decisions

So, when the dust settles this off-season here are the cards we have to play leading up to next season:

Tinsley/Johnson/Gill
Jackson/F. Jones
Artest/J. Jones
O'Neal/Croshere/Bender
Davis/Foster/Pollard/Harrison

Here's what I'm thinking:
1) Pollard hangs on for one more year, mabe less if his expiring contract is attractive enough during the 6-month trade season. He then retires. He's got a gimpy back and a high-dollar deal. We're stuck with him for now, but not long.

2) Foster is likely gone. His contract is reasonable, other GM's like tall guys that hustle, and with Davis' return and Harrison's improvement, he might prefer being traded away than warming the bench. This all depends on what happens with Pollard.

3) Croshere is here to stay until his contract nears expiration, at which point he becomes salary cap fodder for teams that need to pinch a penny.

4) The multiple-position rotations become more popular after the experiences this year. See Jackson play both 2 and 3, F. Jones play both 1 and 2, and the 4 and 5 be virtually interchangable. Artest and Tinsley will be the only players to stick to thier positions. If we've learned anything this year, it's that teams have been confused by our linups, and it's given us a slight edge.

5) Fred Jones signs a nice, high-to-mid size extension, just before he breaks out. They did this with Artest and Tinsley (to name just a couple of players), and thought they were doing it with Bender. This pattern will continue.

6) J. Jones has a better than 50% chance of being in Blue and Gold, this is just the impression I get. This depends on who we pick up at the 2 and/or 3.

7) Gill has a less than 50% chance of being in Blue and Gold. Also depends on who we pick up at the 1, 2 and/or 3.

8 - Just for Fun) *I better put on a plastic covering before everyone starts throwing rotten vegetables* - Edwards suits up another year. He's tall and dirt-freaking cheap, and will remain IL fodder for the Pacers. He's obviously won friends here and he's kept his mouth shut during a season from hell, I'm taking a wild shot in the dark and laying it on the line to say that he'll be rewarded with one more season.

I'd like to know what others think about all this.

Unclebuck
03-18-2005, 02:57 PM
I about fell out of my chair when I read this

2) Foster is likely gone. His contract is reasonable, other GM's like tall guys that hustle, and with Davis' return and Harrison's improvement, he might prefer being traded away than warming the bench. This all depends on what happens with Pollard.

Tall guys that hustle is that all he is.

To be honest after I read that I was too disheartened to continue reading.

Old as Dirt
03-18-2005, 02:59 PM
Thank you UB you saved me>

Los Angeles
03-18-2005, 03:01 PM
I about fell out of my chair when I read this

Tall guys that hustle is that all he is.

To be honest after I read that I was too disheartened to continue reading.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

No - it's not ALL that he is, he's really good and worth the money. But I think this is how a lot of people outside of Pacerland perceive him, so I've summed him up that way. No offense intended. :)

Old as Dirt
03-18-2005, 03:02 PM
But I might add that I am probably the only one here who believes that Edwards can and will develop into a very good player. So now evey one can jump on me.

Los Angeles
03-18-2005, 03:05 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

No - it's not ALL that he is, he's really good and worth the money. But I think this is how a lot of people outside of Pacerland perceive him, so I've summed him up that way. No offense intended. :)
I should add that his combination of talent, age and cost make him the most tradable player on our roster.

Uh Oh - NOW I've done it. :zip:

tora tora
03-18-2005, 03:13 PM
Don't trade Jeff! You know Bender will be crippled throughout his "career" :rolleyes:

ABADays
03-18-2005, 03:18 PM
I heard Bender was going to be offered a job in the Community Relations department but they didn't want him.

RWB
03-18-2005, 03:37 PM
I heard Bender was going to be offered a job in the Community Relations department but they didn't want him.

Close ABA, but I talked to him yesterday and he's been taking classes on real estate. Says if that doesn't work out he'll be selling insurance policies. ;)

Eindar
03-18-2005, 03:50 PM
Jonathan Bender will revolutionize the real estate salesman position.

Unclebuck
03-18-2005, 04:59 PM
The amazing thing is if Bender was even semi smart with his money he'll never have to work a day in his life

Los Angeles
03-18-2005, 05:16 PM
Who is Bender's agent? Whoever it is, the guy deserves his cut. I mean REALLY deserves it.

I wonder if he'll represent me?

Skaut_Ech
03-18-2005, 07:26 PM
Jonathan Bender will revolutionize the real estate salesman position.

:lol2:

skyfire
03-18-2005, 10:58 PM
I think if the right trade came along that was really going to help us then they could move Foster, if they can resign DD then Foster could be the odd man out if Hulk continues to improve.

I thought they were generally decent guesses, I think Gill will have a fair bit less than 50% chance of coming back. I think there is a reasonable chance that LB will be looking at getting a euro backup PG.

The fact that DW loves the role of the tall amiable 12th man on the roster, Edwards could be around for a while for managing to sit through this season from hell as 12man and not even complain when he gets ~3mins in the game right after 11/19 when we had 6 players.

Ragnar
03-18-2005, 11:02 PM
Of course Foster got 17 rebounds tonight and that is hard to replace. With Dale getting 16 those two are a monster combo on the glass.

Los Angeles
03-19-2005, 04:10 AM
Of course Foster got 17 rebounds tonight and that is hard to replace. With Dale getting 16 those two are a monster combo on the glass.
OK - I have to clarify -

I say that someone can be traded - I mean as a centerpiece of a trade, not just an add-on - when they have a combination of talent and value that is attractive to other GMs.

Foster can easily get 17 rebounds, can play both PF and C, is 6'11" tall and relatively healthy/at his prime. He makes less than 5 million, that's nothing for a guy of his experience and talent. And here's the kicker - he also is on a team that, come next year, is stacked to the gills at the PF and C positions.

He is extremely valuable and has proven that he's a great compliment to a good PF - which MANY teams have in today's modern game.

Add it all up, he's the most desired AND EXPENDIBLE (if you add the two together) player on our roster. Hence: he's VERY MUCH prime for a trade.

As I said before, this of course assumes that DD comes back for a reasonable price, otherwise, we keep Foster.

Sorry if it bums some folks out, but I'm just taking what I think is a fairly objective look at the situation.

I LOVE Foster. But if I were a GM in this situation, I'd consider moving him to fill a need elsewhere. It's my respect for him that makes me think that he's the most likely to go in a trade this summer/next year.

Ragnar
03-19-2005, 04:22 AM
I understand what you are saying. I just think he is more valuable to us than what another G.M. might offer.

Los Angeles
03-19-2005, 04:25 AM
I understand what you are saying. I just think he is more valuable to us than what another G.M. might offer.
Ah, the razor's edge. ;)

I'll definitely give you that ... it will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Anthem
03-19-2005, 07:35 PM
But if I were a GM in this situation, I'd consider moving him to fill a need elsewhere.

Like what?

I'd love to move Croshere, Pollard, and Bender for cap space, sign marshall to backup the forward positions, make a good draft pick, and call it good for next season.