PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Mascot Ejected from Game

SoupIsGood
03-17-2005, 12:50 AM
Poor Wile E. Coyote got the boot! I had never heard of this before, wonder if Stern will lower the hammer, and suspend him for the season + playoffs?

Just in.... a Pacers rep chimes in on the subject...

"Us mascots, we are like one big family, we ain't going to let this disrespect go without a fight. We all ride together, remember that!" - Boomer, professional enthusiasm-monger.

Kstat
03-17-2005, 12:52 AM
Oh god help us all if Boomer ever gets ejected....the conspiracies that would start then......

Cactus Jax
03-17-2005, 12:56 AM
This is all Artest's fault. He was the spark that caused the Coyote to go off.

Ban him for life.

Peck
03-17-2005, 02:18 AM
Um, guys I hate to tell you this but I was right across from Boomer when Steve Javie ejected him way way back in the day. The Pacers management got him back in the building but he was initially ejected from the game.

SoupIsGood
03-17-2005, 02:20 AM
What for Peck?

Peck
03-17-2005, 02:27 AM
From the best of my memory it was because he was standing on a box of goodys he used to keep some of his props in behind the basket & was holding up a sign while the opposition was shooting. (I can't remember the team but for some reason I remember Don Nelson being the coach, I think)

In truth it was totall B.S. This was back in the days when Javie was totally out of control & honestly thought he was the lord & master of all that he saw. I know it's hard to imagine this now but beleive it or not he was 100 times worse about 10 years ago.

Bball
03-17-2005, 03:30 AM
Javie was trying to enforce a 'pets on a leash' rule and also wanted to see Boomers' papers showing he'd had his shots.

:P

-Bball

aceace
03-17-2005, 04:22 AM
From the best of my memory it was because he was standing on a box of goodys he used to keep some of his props in behind the basket & was holding up a sign while the opposition was shooting. (I can't remember the team but for some reason I remember Don Nelson being the coach, I think)

In truth it was totall B.S. This was back in the days when Javie was totally out of control & honestly thought he was the lord & master of all that he saw. I know it's hard to imagine this now but beleive it or not he was 100 times worse about 10 years ago.

I remember that now that you mentioned it and gave some details. I think it was the sign that says "NOISE" It was a big yellow 2 foot by 6 foot sign. I think he was shaking it up and down during a freethrow right behind the backboard. I was watching tonight when the Spurs mascot got ejected that was funny.....

sixthman
03-17-2005, 07:04 AM
So why did the San Antonio mascot get the boot last night?

Harmonica
03-17-2005, 10:54 AM
So why did the San Antonio mascot get the boot last night?

He charged into the stands and high-fived the wrong person.

3Ball
03-17-2005, 11:51 AM
I went to a Spurs/Houston game last year. The guy that had been the Wile E. for years had just died, and it was the replacement's first game. She was out during the quarter break dance around on the cour. As the teams walked back out Yao Ming kind of walked behind he. Just then, she turned around, looked up, and fainted on the floor. Yao kind of stepped away, looked back like he was actually worried, then hurried away. Hilarious.

Doug
03-17-2005, 11:55 AM
He charged into the stands and high-fived the wrong person.

He's the victim in all of this. You just don't know how much abuse these mascots take day in and day out. Why if I had a nickel for everytime somebody yelled "Sit down, you big rat!" at Boomer or that horrible "Bowser's Neutered" chant they get going... It was bound to happen.

SycamoreKen
03-18-2005, 02:57 AM
I was going to post this earlier, but my pasword to the newspaper site was messed up. Our fav. ref Jess Kersey was the guy that threw him out after not throwing out Wally after his 3rd cheap shot of the game.

Spurs notebook: Official doesn't feel any love for Coyote
Web Posted: 03/17/2005 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

The Coyote, the Spurs' furry and supposedly lovable mascot, was ejected after Wednesday's third quarter.

"That," Tim Duncan said, "is the greatest thing I've ever heard."

After Wally Szczerbiak cracked Spurs guard Beno Udrih with a hard foul at the Spurs' basket, the Coyote pretended like he was going to run at the Minnesota guard. It was a skit the mascot has used frequently, but one veteran official Jess Kersey apparently didn't find too funny.

Kersey, who didn't like how close the Coyote was to the court, walked over to the scorer's table and told Don Costante, the team's director of game operations and promotions he was ejecting the mascot.

"I want the wolf out of here!" Kersey said. "He's gone! Now!"

The Coyote never returned.

It's unclear whether the Coyote will be subjected to the $1,000 fine, or whether he even has a bank account.

"You can't get mad at the Coyote for doing that," Spurs forward Robert Horry said. "He was just trying to get the crowd hyped.

"That was another bad call."

SycamoreKen
03-18-2005, 02:59 AM
I went to a Spurs/Houston game last year. The guy that had been the Wile E. for years had just died, and it was the replacement's first game. She was out during the quarter break dance around on the cour. As the teams walked back out Yao Ming kind of walked behind he. Just then, she turned around, looked up, and fainted on the floor. Yao kind of stepped away, looked back like he was actually worried, then hurried away. Hilarious.

Actually, he didn't die he had a stroke. He is now in charge of teaching the new people.

3ptmiller
03-18-2005, 04:12 AM
Poor Wile E. Coyote got the boot! I had never heard of this before, wonder if Stern will lower the hammer, and suspend him for the season + playoffs?

Just in.... a Pacers rep chimes in on the subject...

"Us mascots, we are like one big family, we ain't going to let this disrespect go without a fight. We all ride together, remember that!" - Boomer, professional enthusiasm-monger.

Haha! :D What did he do then?

Los Angeles
03-18-2005, 05:03 PM
Found this - thought folks might be interested:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA031705.6C.BKNspurs.notebook.1464ae00a.html

Spurs notebook: Official doesn't feel any love for Coyote
Web Posted: 03/17/2005 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

The Coyote, the Spurs' furry and supposedly lovable mascot, was ejected after Wednesday's third quarter.

"That," Tim Duncan said, "is the greatest thing I've ever heard."

After Wally Szczerbiak cracked Spurs guard Beno Udrih with a hard foul at the Spurs' basket, the Coyote pretended like he was going to run at the Minnesota guard. It was a skit the mascot has used frequently, but one veteran official Jess Kersey apparently didn't find too funny.

Kersey, who didn't like how close the Coyote was to the court, walked over to the scorer's table and told Don Costante, the team's director of game operations and promotions he was ejecting the mascot.

"I want the wolf out of here!" Kersey said. "He's gone! Now!"

The Coyote never returned.

It's unclear whether the Coyote will be subjected to the $1,000 fine, or whether he even has a bank account.

"You can't get mad at the Coyote for doing that," Spurs forward Robert Horry said. "He was just trying to get the crowd hyped.

"That was another bad call."

Anthem
03-18-2005, 05:12 PM
Found this - thought folks might be interested:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA031705.6C.BKNspurs.notebook.1464ae00a.html

This bears a striking resemblence to the post 3 above yours.

Los Angeles
03-18-2005, 05:42 PM
This bears a striking resemblence to the post 3 above yours.
I must be blind. Sorry. :blush:

SycamoreKen
03-18-2005, 06:43 PM
I must be blind. Sorry. :blush:

I knew people on here were ignoring my comments!!!!!:cry:

But my students do that everyday, so it makes me feel at home!:cheers: