PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone say...

Harddrive7
03-16-2005, 02:57 PM
That JO would be a the type player that he is today when they first saw him play here?

Did anyone see the quality that he has today then (besides DW)?

Mushmouth
03-16-2005, 03:16 PM
That JO would be a the type player that he is today when they first saw him play here?

Did anyone see the quality that he has today then (besides DW)?

I had very high hopes - the word out of Portland was very, dare I say, Bender-like. He apparently dominated practices at times and was very very dedicated. Not to mention he already was pretty natural on the blocks with both hands.

Even so, he's surpased any expectations I had.

Jermaniac
03-16-2005, 03:19 PM
I thought he was going to be getting 12-14 points,8-10 board and 2 blocks per game and be kind of like Ben Wallace is today, I never thought he would turn into a 25 and 9 player and as good as he is today.

Kegboy
03-16-2005, 03:32 PM
I don't remember who it was, but somebody back on RATS used to say that it was obvious that Jermaine would become an All Star back when he was in Portland. I never really understood that. :crazy:

_PD_
03-16-2005, 03:47 PM
I too thought he would be a starter, but nothing sensational. I remember he spent a good deal of time telling anyone who would listen that he was a lot better player than people in Portland thought and that he was going to prove it to us. That he did.

Ragnar
03-16-2005, 03:52 PM
I thought he would be very good. I remember watching him in a game against the Lakers (when he was still with Portland) and they put him in to guard Shaq. Now remember he was not as filled out when he was there as he is now so he was pretty small in comparison to Shaq. But he did not back down an inch and they got into a fight.

On top of that he seemed to score without much effort when he was in.

Unclebuck
03-16-2005, 04:27 PM
I liked him a lot when he was at Portland and I wanted the pacers to get him bad a year earlier when he was a free agent and as much as I liked dale I was very happy we were getting J.O.

I never thought he would or could average 25 pts per game. I would have guessed maybe 18. But he had a few good games against the Pacers. You could see his desire and his athletism. Very quick leaper

3Ball
03-16-2005, 04:32 PM
I remember thinking he would be good as Croshere's backup. And yet I'm still unemployed as an NBA general manager. Go figure.

ChicagoJ
03-16-2005, 05:33 PM
During his first season in Indiana, I remember thinking he could easily be a 16 and 12 guy and would be a great second-fiddle to Jalen for years - especially if we could get a real PG and move Jalen to SG where he belonged.

By his second season, and the tremendous improvement he showed, I figured out he was the real deal.

Suaveness
03-16-2005, 05:36 PM
I hadn't even heard of him until we traded for him. But I soon realized he would be pretty damn good.

indygeezer
03-16-2005, 06:13 PM
At the time I predicted he would revolutionize the PF position. That he would have a Garnett-like effect on the Pacers and the eastern conf.....uh, :blush: oh.

Actually, my attitude pretty well mirrors what UB said above. I hated to see him go but I knew DW had been trying for over a year to get him so, yeah I was excited. I trust DW to be a pretty darn good judge of talent. He just needs a medical advisor to help him make some selections.

Los Angeles
03-16-2005, 06:35 PM
At the time I predicted he would revolutionize the PF position. That he would have a Garnett-like effect on the Pacers and the eastern conf.....uh, :blush: oh.

Actually, my attitude pretty well mirrors what UB said above. I hated to see him go but I knew DW had been trying for over a year to get him so, yeah I was excited. I trust DW to be a pretty darn good judge of talent. He just needs a medical advisor to help him make some selections.
If he had listened to "advisors" he never would have picked up Reggie. Nobody thought that skin-and-bones could make it 8 years in the NBA, let alone 18.

Los Angeles
03-16-2005, 07:01 PM
OH ******!!!

I knocked on wood, threw salt over my shoulder and ate a shamrock.

Well, actually not that last bit. hopefully, that's enough.